• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wishlist for 3.0

IhaveSonar

Smash Journeyman
I'll be succinct.

I do love Squirtle. He's my favorite of the Meleefied Brawl newcomers; his combination of quick attacks, numerous mobility options, satisfying and potent finishers, edgeguarding, armor, and shades make him spectacularly fun to play. However, there are a few issues that I feel need to be addressed to make him realize his potential.

1. His jump heights. This is my one major qualm. His shorthop feels a tad too high to hit smaller enemies with aerials, particularly dair, and I often find his fullhop doesn't traverse quite enough distance to connect with uair after launching an enemy. I would be elated if his fullhop and double-jump heights are increased and his shorthop is decreased in the next incarnation of P:M.

2. Dair. While this move would be improved with a modified shorthop, it's current hitboxes lack range and do not last for particularly long. Perhaps it could use slight buffs in both areas.

3. Uthrow. Squirtle is designed to be an amazing juggler with uair, yet his uthrow seems to have too much endlag to reliably set up for juggles. I would recommend removing some of this lag. (A similar case could be made for removing endlag on uair itself, particularly on landing, though that's more debatable.)

Those are my personal thoughts. Ya'll can feel free to criticize, commend, and add on recommendations of your own.

K@$h

Smash Cadet
for me ive always had a problem with his nair. it could just be me not using it well, but i think it has too small of hitbox. i would like it to be an available option for comboing so like falcon's or maybe a nair-plane.

Bones0

Smash Legend
How is Squirtle's design terrible? I think he's one of the most fun character designs in any Smash game. I like that he is a small, fast, slippery critter with light armor and a turnaround hitbox. It's unique, which is what Smash has always been about. If you think Squirtle could use some buffed hitboxes or a slightly different jump height, then I can get behind that, but I don't think he needs any changes that significantly alter his play style or overall design. I very much don't want to play Demo 3 to find that he doesn't play anything like he does now, and it's not because I've put a bunch of time into him. If anything, I don't want him drastically changed because I am looking forward to exploring his current design.

Whoever is in charge of making his changes should do this:

- Give him a useful DA. Either give it some decent KB so you can push people off stage with it (nothing ridiculous), or make it so he can pop people upwards with it into a combo (preferably the former because Withdraw and utilt both sort of cover the second role already).

- Dair needs to work more like Mario's by sort of sucking the opponent towards him, and a bit better priority couldn't hurt. As it is now, it's just too easy for the opponent to (not even intentionally) DI out of it. As an alternative, it could work more like Jigglypuff's or Fox's drill where it pushes the opponent into the ground. Maybe even making it a meteor like Kirby's dair (or 64 style spike? :troll:).

- Nair doesn't really do anything at all for him, atm. Aside from being used to break through certain recoveries with the light armor, I have a hard time coming up with any scenarios where I would rather nair than use any other aerial. I would like to see it become a reverse sex kick (just put a small water-blast at the end with increased KB and slightly more priority). The beginning, weak part of the nair will help because he desperately lacks any sort of horizontal combo game, and of course the end of the move could be used for edgeguarding, finishing off combos, or even zoning by doing something like FHing and ACing it so the end comes out right before he lands.

- Water Gun is just weird... He can zone with it sort of, but even that doesn't really work because it doesn't even do damage half the time. Then there's the whole part about charging it making it worse. Everyone's recoveries in P:M are way too good for the push back to ever really accomplish anything. Idk what they can do with it, but I wouldn't be upset seeing the entirety of the move scrapped.

K@$h

Smash Cadet
do we actually know anyone who is going to be making changes for squirtle or are we just kind of screaming in the woods...

traffic.

Smash Journeyman
water gun is marginally useful, good for stuffing spacies up-b and ness/lucas's up b. totally underselling the fact that pushing without damage can completely nerf recoveries.

nair is awesome for gimping recoveries, and chains pretty well, withdraw > FF nair > dtilt > ftilt. it's cancellable from frame 2 onwards making it totally useful for redirection and catching a FF.

dair is also good after withdraw because it resets a knocked down opponent, and cancels into utilt perfectly. the fact that you cant crouch cancel his dair is awesome, and l-canceling it chains perfectly into utilt. when you catch someone in the air with it, it pushes them above and behind you, which lets you completely reset position before you have to deal with your opponent, making it dually effective. and he has bubble, adding a spike dair would be ******** and unnecessary.

It's pretty silly to say that he has no horizontal combos when you can withdraw > nair / fair / dair > dtilt / ftilt > withdraw restart. Withdraw is his best tech chase and it starts combos. It's also super effective as an aerial tech chase, and SH > withdraw > cancel makes for zippy horizontal repositioning. If you can't move around horizontally with squirtle, you are doing it wrong. especially with platform stages

seriously, i think the best possible thing for squirtle would be to keep him as is, add 1% of damage to every move, and change aqua jet to an a input. his dash attack isn't very useful, but when the hell do you dash with squirtle?

side-b > a = aqua jet, side-b > b = cancel.

Squirtle doesn't SH dair like falco/fox, and doesn't nair like everyone else. he plays completely differently than typical melee characters, and the only real problem i have with him is doing a disgusting 13 hit combo and realizing you've only done 63% damage and SD'ed trying to get the kill.

Squartle

Smash Apprentice
I would like to see Squirtle get new options out of withdraw - specifically, side-B out of withdraw.

Currently, up-B out of withdraw, Aqua jet, is an extra recovery mixup with a bit of killing power at close range. I'd like to see the same thing apply to side-b out of withdraw. What I'm envisioning is a horizontal aqua jet. This could be useful in any number of mixups, a good way to instantly change direction, and it would give us a much-needed way to quickly escape from accidental suicides by jumping out in withdraw. No matter how much I practice, I can't seem to withdraw cancel with neutral B fast enough to actually get back to the stage unless I specifically anticipate hurling myself out into the void. Being able to quickly side-b back into safety would be lovely. It would put you into special-fall, of course. On the ground, it could let you quickly punish a roll, or speed up your approach for a short distance.

Bones0

Smash Legend
[Nair is] cancellable from frame 2 onwards making it totally useful for redirection and catching a FF.
Could you elaborate on what you mean?

and he has bubble, adding a spike dair would be ******** and unnecessary.
That's true, it would be kind of redundant for it to spike. I still like the idea of it being similar to Fox's drill however. I think it would help his current problem of struggling to do much vs. CC spam. You mentioned that it couldn't be CCed, but that's not true. Any move (excluding ones with grab properties) can be CCed. Dair may sometimes seems like it stops CCCs, but I don't think you can land on top of CCing opponents with it and be safe. You can zone with a FH dair, but even with it preventing them from CCCing, the opponent was still able to rely on his CC relatively risk free. CCC is crouch cancel counter btw.

It's pretty silly to say that he has no horizontal combos when you can withdraw > nair / fair / dair > dtilt / ftilt > withdraw restart. Withdraw is his best tech chase and it starts combos. It's also super effective as an aerial tech chase, and SH > withdraw > cancel makes for zippy horizontal repositioning. If you can't move around horizontally with squirtle, you are doing it wrong. especially with platform stages
I completely agree with everything you said. I should have been more clear, but I was more thinking along the lines of aerial combos when I mentioned horizontal limitations. For instance, Marth has a simple, yet elegant combo game because the opponent is constantly concerned with DIing away or towards based on which move they expect. He may combo with fair or uair, and the opponent has to DI away for fair (to avoid being Ken comboed) or to either side for uair (which will often mean DIing to the center when they are near the ledge). He also has dair and up-B as two potential finishers which require the opponent to DI appropriately in a similar fashion. If they combo DI and Marth up-Bs, they are going to die a lot earlier. If they DI up and in for an up-B, a dair finisher may send them past the ledge when they could have DIed in further.

The reason I explain this is because I feel like at the moment, Squirtle only has a single dimension to this combo game. He can only really hit up when opponents are airborne around FH height. So if you have a Peach float in front of you and she whiffs a fair or does something that has punishable lag, Squirtle doesn't have many options. He can fair to knock Peach away, or he can uair to combo into a second uair (maybe a third or fourth if there are plats nearby to land on in between hits). With these options, Peach will always DI in because they know fair won't kill them (at least not near center stage or at most percentages). So what I would like to see with nair is to make it a reverse sex kick like I explained, and that way a Squirtle can FH at the exposed Peach player and hit with nair. If Peach DIs inward in anticipation of an attack, Squirtle's early (weak) nair would combo into another move. If she DIs away, late (strong) nair will have some serious KB to threaten a KO. If she DIs up, a uair would make her DI have no effect, and would allow another move to followup. The best part about all these mixups is that weak nair or uair restart the whole process. If I catch them with a weak nair when they are DIing in, they still have to be actively be DIing. I could do another weak nair to combo them even further off stage, or maybe I will predict their DI away and late nair for a KO now that they are closer to the ledge. Or maybe I can uair knowing they will DI away and up-B them off the top. Or maybe... You get the idea.

seriously, i think the best possible thing for squirtle would be to keep him as is, add 1% of damage to every move, and change aqua jet to an a input. his dash attack isn't very useful, but when the hell do you dash with squirtle?

side-b > a = aqua jet, side-b > b = cancel.

Squirtle doesn't SH dair like falco/fox, and doesn't nair like everyone else. he plays completely differently than typical melee characters, and the only real problem i have with him is doing a disgusting 13 hit combo and realizing you've only done 63% damage and SD'ed trying to get the kill.
Adding 1% to every move won't do anything at all significant. The way I gauge damage buffs/nerfs is "would I notice if percents weren't displayed at the bottom?" I highly doubt anyone would be able to play 2-3 matches and tell the difference between the current Squirtle and Squirtle + 1% on all moves. I'm not opposed to buffing his damage output, but that alone will not fix what makes him a below average character. Hell, I'm not familiar with how handicap works in P:M, if at all, but try playing some matches with the smallest handicap advantage possible and you'll probably agree that it doesn't really fix anything. It's the equivalent of giving a extra 15-minute break per day to an employee who wants a promotion.

I don't mind AJ as it is. It make sense to me to use up-B out of withdraw when I'm recovering the same way I would up-B if I weren't withdrawing. It'd also feel very weird trying to aim the AJ with A + Control Stick when I've been aiming recoveries with B + Control Stick for a decade.

I dash with Squirtle all the time. I'm not sure what it is with Squirtle players and not using his dash. I think his dash/run speed could use a slight buff (not too much because SSing should still be faster), but even as it is now I use it constantly to maintain a good spacing from my opponent. Maybe try it out next time you play to see when you can use it to do simple dodges. Even if you do think his dash is useless, that's all the more reason to give him a useful DA. Then he would have a reason to use it. lol

I would like to see Squirtle get new options out of withdraw - specifically, side-B out of withdraw.

Currently, up-B out of withdraw, Aqua jet, is an extra recovery mixup with a bit of killing power at close range. I'd like to see the same thing apply to side-b out of withdraw. What I'm envisioning is a horizontal aqua jet. This could be useful in any number of mixups, a good way to instantly change direction, and it would give us a much-needed way to quickly escape from accidental suicides by jumping out in withdraw. No matter how much I practice, I can't seem to withdraw cancel with neutral B fast enough to actually get back to the stage unless I specifically anticipate hurling myself out into the void. Being able to quickly side-b back into safety would be lovely. It would put you into special-fall, of course. On the ground, it could let you quickly punish a roll, or speed up your approach for a short distance.
I don't think Squirtle really needs any more options. He is designed as a pretty flexible character, both in his movement, and in his attacks. The problem is that some of those options just don't work right, so he is left choosing between an awful, flimsy option and a decent, solid one. And then his one solid option becomes less good than it should be because the opponent can expect it constantly.
If you find yourself dying from Withdraw, just really pay attention to whether or not you will hit the opponent, and you can react with plenty of time to cancel the Withdraw and recover. You can even press B to cancel it right when you expect to hit your opponent. If you hit them, the input does nothing, but if you don't, then you've cancelled asap and are able to recover quickly.

Squirtle is already really good at tech chasing, covering rolls, and the problems with his approach are certainly not related to his speed. Try incorporating more SSing and WDing. Just make sure to be patient so as not to telegraph your approach. A lot of Squirtle players seem to want to just force a SS approach on the first try (or even worse, Withdraw), but sometimes you have to start the SS and see how your opponent reacted to your dash away before committing to going in. If it looks like they are ready, you just have to DD out of your SS and try to punish any lazy attacks they might have thrown out. Rinse and repeat. It's obviously not this systematic, but that's the general approach I use, and it has served me well. I have had no real problems approaching a variety of players.

traffic.

Smash Journeyman
okay quick response:

nair: you're not locked into any animations, effectively making it a free hitbox for aerial movement, and gives you more DI than his standard jump. i think of it like ness/lucas's ability to turn their jump into an attack.

dair: the angle of every hitbox is less than horizontal, which means that crouch canceling just keeps them in hit stun and grounded, soaking the rest of the hits which maintains the same effect. basically: crouch canceling means they take every hit. if you dair into utilt, the speed is effectively impossible to dodge, dair > utilt is free, and on spacies for example, utilt > utilt is free, if they DI out, dtilt or ftilt is free. the hardest part of this series is landing the dair, and reacting to their DI fast enough to not whiff a utilt.

WD/AJ: my only problem with this input is hitting b cancels, so missing up by any slight angle when you want to aqua jet (or aqua jetting when you want to cancel) creates this very awkward place where you just kill yourself. combined with the way aqua jet goes straight down when used out of momentum (ledge tech AJ = dead) it just has a very fickle set of conditions. practice and routine makes this less of a problem, but still a pretty severe consequence. hardly a real issue.

DA: actually havent had problems with it, i can usually land a dtilt, ftilt, or jab out of it. it's slow, but with his small size, you can usually avoid spot-punishes, much like fsmashing dodges a lot of attacks by proxy.

1% damage: simply by escalating the amount of damage minutely, his combo potential grows by escalating the rate of hitstun and knockback accrual. if 10% is the deciding factor in getting a kill, then gaining that 10% organically would put his combos and kill factor on a competitive level. it would be a small change that would do more to equalize than to try and change fundamentals.

Top Bottom