• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wofl Q&A/Social

SAX

Smash Ace
hey wolfs! So I'm just a guy who has been using wolf recently and having fun. So I'm going to be commenting here every now and then. I main wario though. But still! haha

tekkie

Smash Master
is it bad etiquette to like replace the sd card in a wii with your own for the duration of your gameplay? because i know i 100% CANNOT trust people to do something simple like send me replay .BIN files

KRDsonic

Smash Master
I've done it before. I figure as long as you put their SD card back in afterwards then it should be fine. I've never minded people taking my SD card out of my wii to use theirs.

:059:

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Holms' Wolf is ****. Like all other Wolf players though he has the dumb habit of using his double jump too early. I've seen Kain and Seagull making that mistake a lot and I also have to work on getting rid of it.

Yikarur

Smash Master
Holms' Wolf is ****. Like all other Wolf players though he has the dumb habit of using his double jump too early. I've seen Kain and Seagull making that mistake a lot and I also have to work on getting rid of it.

not Semifer :)

Laem

Smash Champion
I watched Kain and Holms vs Pierce, and....
meh
Just watch the beginning of holms match 1: 3 repeated fairs on shield without retreating... 3 punishes by pierce. All those landing fairs as well...I like the option occasionally, but he used it so much and didn't work out that well >.>
And then that lightstep falling nair... In itself a technical error probably which is acceptable, but that jump to straight up upB afterwards made me wanna cry.

HOW TO RECOVER WITH WOLF PART 1
don't upB straight up. In holms messy situation: use jump and move to the right and then at jump's apex 10 o'clock upB. Edgehog will result in you landing onstage.

And then the ending of Kain's last match. rage :@. I guess he wanted to get onstage with the blaster (as he did b4 in the set, its quite a good option actually ppl!) but didnt make it and forgot to move away from the ledge so I'll let it slide.

They both kind of got ***** by aerial side b stuff but ill let it slide cuz we can't all have Mr. R living 10 miles away.

They both apparently either like FD or think it's a good stage in the MU. The latter is not the case. BF and SV > FD (synopsis: Marth juggles like a champ. FD centralizes on juggles). As for other cp's...not sure, I prefer to only play on SV or BF myself XD
And what's with Lylat cruise game 1....the worst wolf starter imo xD

I kinda wanna write some positive stuff up as well but I'd have to watch the matches again, cba. I liked Holms last dsmash at the end of game 3, it looked so weird but if that's guaranteed, with the range on that dsmash, its an excellent option.
I like Kain's style overall. He's got that smooth touch I've only seen in him and Semifer. Maybe it's the green costume.

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
Welcome to the Wolf boards Sax :)

Tekkie, do it anyways. If people get upset, just explain. Problem solved ;D

Liked the vids, but as T said, those recoveries made me facepalm. Hard. Also, for someone who uses so much dsmash, I can't believe Holms doesn't pivot his dsmashes. That alone would've won him the set imo, as crazy as that sounds. Good stuff to both Kain and Holms regardless ;D

Pro tip in Wolf/Marth MU: if Marth techs dthrow and uses upB, it beats everything but jab and shield. So a pretty good option against a Marth that knows the MU is to use jab1 then shield the upB since they're probably still mashing, while buffering a shieldgrab in case they don't try to upB out. Free regrab/dsmash/taunt etc :cool:

:phone:

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Something I see almost all american Wolf players [or non-europeans] do consistently wrong is the failure to reverse blaster after getting knocked far offstage. Having the option of intercepting edgeguarding attempts with [doublejump]-bair is so incredibly powerful that I think it should be the standard procedure in that situation. So far I have not encountered a situation that made me think that there's any situation where you shouldn't do this.

And Lylat is a great stage for Wolf. Unless your opponent is Snake you can feel free to use it any time imo. It's my favorite CP against other spacies, Diddy Kong and anything we can juggle well.
FD isn't a problem against Marth if Wolves started to keep their double jumps longer and use them smarter - in combination with reverse blaster, shine, airdodge and Wolf's airspeed you should be able to escape most juggles unless it's MK at very low %. I cringed when Seagull got juggled by Pwii's MK at 100%+ because he would just doublejump at the apex of vertical knockback - such a common mistake and so superfluous. Every Wolf should get rid of this IMMEDIATELY.

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
Something I see almost all american Wolf players [or non-europeans] do consistently wrong is the failure to reverse blaster after getting knocked far offstage. Having the option of intercepting edgeguarding attempts with [doublejump]-bair is so incredibly powerful that I think it should be the standard procedure in that situation. So far I have not encountered a situation that made me think that there's any situation where you shouldn't do this.

When we're recovering low.

You mustn't watch my matches cause I do it all the time~

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
Yeah, iirc Kain used it too. Holms doesn't go to the boards and idk how much he keeps up with other Wolves so he might've missed it. I'm pretty sure most good Wolves do that when the situation calls for it :3

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
Most BBR members put Fox ahead of Wolf, but they were almost always next to each other on everyone's tier list except like Florida@Auspher.

D

Deleted member

I know Raziek and Red Ryu put Wolf ahead for sure. Didn't you as well, Seagull?

Also, what spurs on your passionate love for the blue blur? :p

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
Shine, mobility, air speed, range, punishing OoS, blaster, kill power etc. Definitely not even though. -1 probably, maaaybe -2, idk.

I have a test to fail, but if you want a more in-depth answer I'll post one when I get back home.

tekkie

Smash Master
wolf does "okay" with mk, just not as good as snake diddy falco wario or ice climbers and doesn't have the same level of results as marth sonic DK ike fox or pikachu (which probably means they do better agaisnt mk?)

Greave

Smash Apprentice
NNID
P-Duck
It's -1 according to the official matchup chart. Even though it's oldish, it's still pertinent enough to cause Wolf's huge jump in the tier list. And a -1 against MK is a soft counter in my eyes :[

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
And Lylat is a great stage for Wolf. Unless your opponent is Snake
Lucario/Lucas's Fairs make Lylat stupid for approaching.

Soooo, can someone please explain to me why the MK matchup is decent?
Ishy did a good job, but yeah, Wolf's shine/air speed are what I was going to say. Wolf can play keep away better than most characters, you can't really punish his D-smash or jab, either.

So I kind of co-main Wolf now.
Great, +6 and top of midtier, now everyone is maining Wolf.

Greave

Smash Apprentice
NNID
P-Duck
Ishy did a good job, but yeah, Wolf's shine/air speed are what I was going to say. Wolf can play keep away better than most characters, you can't really punish his D-smash or jab, either.
I guess it makes some sense.

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
Agreed with Tekkie, as usual :p

I saw BR's Wario pull off bite > bite > grab at 0% on Seagull I think? Recent video. Anyways, if that's guaranteed, it means that when we get grabbed we're maybe 1-2 pummels away from CG %s... just throwing it out there.

Oh, yeah, Wolf vs MK. Wolf can avoid a lot of stuff in the air with shine while outranging MK's dair with uair. Fair is good too, bair is a bit less awesome in the air because of transcendent priority. Lasers stop a lot of mindless MK tactics, like tornado from the ledge and dashing in to **** you (but only from a distance). Shine is good at beating out tornado too, and gets you out of MK's juggling tools in general as long as you're not at low %s. SHFF bair pressures well on the ground, and we can punish next to everything MK does on our shield with usmash/fair OoS unless it's like perfectly spaced and autocancelled or whatever. Finally, it's actually kinda possible to land a dsmash on MK, and since he's so light it actually kills :O But yeah. Those are Wolf's strengths in the MU, I'd say.

Also, welcome to the Wolf boards ErikG :)

Top Bottom