• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

WoI Edgehog

CeLL

Smash Lord
I've never seen anyone do this (and I've watched ZeRo and Armada), and I don't see a thread for it. If it's already known, sorry.

We can edgehog Brawl-style with WoI. The inputs are a little tight, but it's not difficult once you get used to it. Run off the edge, immediately fastfall (it seems like you only have 2 - 3 frames, if that), and immediately WoI towards the stage.

I don't think this would really affect Pit's metagame, but it's a nice gimmick to show off if nothing else.

Red Rice

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, it's already known, no worries. Zero actually replied to a thread about it awhile back, cba to find it though

Liquid Brick

Smash Cadet
I'm not sure if it's faster than WD backwards, I'd like to see some frame data before I go further on that end.

On a side note, it's not very safe to do, because if you do the input to fast, you can press B while holding down, meaning you fastfall while pulling out Mirror shield and SD. =[
It's really lame and I'm super sad to say it's happened to me mid-match before. That means if you aren't perfect at it EVERY time, you'll either overshoot the ledge and glide onstage, or SD off the bottom.
When it works though, my god is it flash. I love trolling Falco's side-b, because if you time it just right, they smash into you just as you steal the ledge, making them want to recover onstage next stock (Pit's punish game stronk)

CeLL

Smash Lord
I'm not sure if it's faster than WD backwards, I'd like to see some frame data before I go further on that end.

On a side note, it's not very safe to do, because if you do the input to fast, you can press B while holding down, meaning you fastfall while pulling out Mirror shield and SD. =[
It's really lame and I'm super sad to say it's happened to me mid-match before. That means if you aren't perfect at it EVERY time, you'll either overshoot the ledge and glide onstage, or SD off the bottom.
When it works though, my god is it flash. I love trolling Falco's side-b, because if you time it just right, they smash into you just as you steal the ledge, making them want to recover onstage next stock (Pit's punish game stronk)
I'm not sure if it's faster than getting up, I'd like to see some frame data before I go further on that end.

On a side note, it's not very safe to do, because if you do the input to fast, you can airdodge too soon, meaning you miss the edge and SD. =[
It's really lame and I'm super sad to say it's happened to me mid-match before. That means if you aren't perfect at it EVERY time, you'll either overshoot the ledge and airdodge onstage, or SD off the bottom.
When it works though, my god is it flash.

I'm sorry. It just reminded me so much of something someone would say about ledge dashing back when it was coming out.

Yeah, it sucks when you SD with it. I'm pretty sure it's faster, since it actually sweetspots the edge, rather than a WD which just grabs it once you're close enough, if that makes any sense. When you WD to edgehog it seems like you just float above the edge for a second before grabbing it. With floaty characters with long WDs (Mewtwo, Luigi), you can even WD off the edge without grabbing the ledge if you try. But if it is faster, it's not by much.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
With WD edgehog you should be fastfalling after entering the air, removing the hangtime after going off the edge.

CeLL

Smash Lord
With WD edgehog you should be fastfalling after entering the air, removing the hangtime after going off the edge.
But even with fastfalling there is some number of frames for which you are in the air before grabbing the ledge, right?

I was also thinking that it would be faster when dashing towards the ledge to edgehog with it rather than RAR WD.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Yes, there are a few, but probably fewer than you have to spend using Wings of Icarus.

CeLL

Smash Lord
Yes, there are a few, but probably fewer than you have to spend using Wings of Icarus.
WoI doesn't actually come out. It seems to sweetspot on frame 1. Thinking about this, the only way WoI would be faster is if it grabs the ledge from farther away than Pit's standard falling state. It doesn't, does it? But what would be faster about it is your speed from standing to falling off the edge. Dashing is faster than WDing, right?

I don't think it even matters that much. We're talking about a few frames lol

Liquid Brick

Smash Cadet
I'm sorry. It just reminded me so much of something someone would say about ledge dashing back when it was coming out.
Yeah, I get it, I need to get gud =p Anyway, it's useful to do but not necessary. I've practiced it to the point that I can grab ledge with it consistently in match (not that hard to practice it anyway) but I've noticed it's still a little awkward, especially since if you have to fight muscle memory as most of the time you'd like to WD backwards and FF. If it helps anyone, don't try it when you're standing on the ledge, rather try and get it so you dash towards the ledge and have enough space for Pit's initial dash to turn into a run and just run off the ledge.
Everyone I've shown it off to isn't as impressed as I'd hoped, so style points are out the window (probably salty that they couldn't grab the ledge)

CeLL

Smash Lord
I've noticed it's still a little awkward, especially since if you have to fight muscle memory as most of the time you'd like to WD backwards and FF.
I play Mewtwo. :p My muscle memory is jump -> up b -> point at ledge. It doesn't work so well when I'm distracted and try it with Pit lol

No style points? Guess I'll have to keep working on that arrow infinite that I'm sure can be done on any character. (No really, if you can loop an arrow, then ftilt someone, then hit them with the looping arrow immediately to cancel their momentum... I'm sure there's some way to keep doing something like that, even if it's TAS only.)

Conti

Smash Ace
damn i was hoping people wouldnt notice this AT -.- its very good, i tested it a while ago. it's pits fastest option to edgehog honestly, wavedashing, wavelanding, its all slightly slower[i didnt know the frames on it so ty for that xD i knew it was broken]. Honestly its insanely good, i abuse it. People should do this tech more it speeds up ur pit game alot.

Another random fact is i hope people realize you get 2 SideBs if you start it on the ground and do it again in the air, sometimes as a mindgame id be dashdancing to SideB off stage downwards jump cancle [do a Aerial or something] and fastfall sideb back to stage grab the ledge on perfect invinsiblity gimp, like Pit's glide in this game is the best thing to ever happen to pit, so much positioning and momentum shifts and just options you can do with it at any moment [getting outta juggles ffs xD] and there should be a thread alone on how many ways it could be utilized imo]

Top Bottom