• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wolf and Wifi don't mix....

smashisfun

Smash Cadet
Ok so after watching Candy's videos, and several others like Lucien and Germ, I realized that they capitilize alot on the bair, great. Shbairs really make Wolf and they are generally his best approach offensive wise as far as I am concerned, but with Wifi and button delay/lag, it's almost impossible to perform sh bairs correctly. What do I mean? Well the "correct" shbair hits usually in the waist down area, but on Wifi it will hit higher, often causing you to miss or just get shield grabbed easily because Wolf lands lousy after such a move. This is just one aspect...and yes I understand several characters suffer from online lag and button delay, but seriously...does anyone else have the same problem here?

snadmonkey

Smash Journeyman
Its all timing partner, the window to land that blow is the same, u just have to start the move at a different time. Just gotta adjust to the button lag, typically my first game against a new opponent I'll get beaten first 1-2 stocks and its all up hill from there. ONce I adjust to his button lag I do much better. Of course this is only on people that live really far away or have bad connections, most people have good connection and only takes you like 15 sec to adjust to the very slight button lag.

DarkWarCloud

Smash Journeyman
thanks indnkid209 of planetrenders for my sig.
actually... a tiny bit of lag, which is what i experience, doesnt at all affect my wolf. i just press the buttons. i don't trust my eyes, i trust my fingers.
brawl wifi lag doesnt affect people as much as they say anyways. its just a john. now, i can say that my wolf isnt at full potential on wifi, though, but nobodies is either, so you and your opponets are on equal playing fields.

Levitas

the moon
Nothing like how it nerfs the psychic kids. Their recoveries don't go the direction that they want it to at all.

A little lag never makes wolf go from an upward up b to a horizontal or even downward one.

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
See, there are two people in this world:

The first kind of people understand that WiFi is a waste of time. They understand it has no indication of skill and prefer to play those around them and travel to tournament.

The second kind of people think WiFi rocks. Either because they have no one who is good in their area or refuse to travel. Whatever the case these people are clinically insane.

DarkWarCloud

Smash Journeyman
thanks indnkid209 of planetrenders for my sig.
=[, im insane?
wifi still takes a lot of skill. it just takes a tiny bit of time and you will get used to the lag.
wifi is great, IMO, but playing real people is better.
the reason the wifi is so supposedly bad is because that is the NEW john. if you lose on wifi thats what you are likely to say. if you are winning in lag, you dont complain. if you are losing in lag, you complain. etc.

BlackYoshi7

Smash Apprentice
See, there are two people in this world:

The first kind of people understand that WiFi is a waste of time. They understand it has no indication of skill and prefer to play those around them and travel to tournament.

The second kind of people think WiFi rocks. Either because they have no one who is good in their area or refuse to travel. Whatever the case these people are clinically insane.

Or they don't have the time or money to dedicate to traveling, and need someway to face good players? For me, there isn't anyone close to me that is that great, but I get my *** whopped by most of the good players I know over WiFi.

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
I still complained about lag if I was winning the few times I've played on WiFi. Don't get me wrong, it's a great service, but it does suck. It could've been executed much better.

Also, I myself prefer not to play on WiFi because if I, as you say, "get used to the lag," then that screws me up in real life tournament play or what have you.

zzz99

Smash Apprentice
i just play WiFi to either a) test out a character or b) to have some fun
it isn't that much a test of skill at all, but that varies widely on who you're playing
sometimes you run into horrific lag, and sometimes you don't
but whatever you do, don't take it seriously, you can either get used to the lag or just not care
cause in the end whether you win or lose it doesn't make that big a difference, it's WiFi

dguy6789

Smash Lord
The faster your character moves, the more harmful lag is to them. Wolf happens to fall faster than almost every character in the game, so a match with significant delay makes things quite difficult. Add to that the extremely precise controls that are needed to recover properly with Wolf.

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
i just play WiFi to either a) test out a character or b) to have some fun
it isn't that much a test of skill at all, but that varies widely on who you're playing
sometimes you run into horrific lag, and sometimes you don't
but whatever you do, don't take it seriously, you can either get used to the lag or just not care
cause in the end whether you win or lose it doesn't make that big a difference, it's WiFi
Some people take WiFi very seriously, so that's not true. For example, Koskinator convinced me to play WiFi once and I played him in maybe three or four games. Now because he is used to lag and has no friends to play with and I go to tournaments and play offline, he beat me every game. Not always terribly, but still. Now he thinks he is a billion times better than me and it is annoying. WiFi sucks and is a ****ty service.

snadmonkey

Smash Journeyman
nearest tournie 13 hours away. Ya i'm cinical by using wifi as my primary source of brawling. Top players online are usually top players offline, conincidence, I think not. ANyways thats my rant on people bashing wifi players.

goodoldganon

Smash Champion
^^^
Yes, but top offline players aren't always online players. Pertaining to only Wolf, my SH b-air game takes a hit online which sometimes makes my Wolf look spammy and campy. Makes me feel sad cause I'm much better offline.

Top Bottom