• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wolf banned from tournies?(question)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uncle Fitzy

Smash Journeyman
haha yeah i thought so. it was my anual local "best in (town name) tourney run at the family owned game store. items were on low, lol(but i placed 1st anyhow). I had a feeling the owners didnt know what they were doing.
If items were on Sonic should have been banned... :laugh: . His FS is broken and as far as I can tell he has some of the most effective animations for certain items. Dashing with the light saber as Sonic is a fan of death!

uremog

Smash Ace
this isn't akuma in old SF. he was banned because none of the other characters had moves that could handle his. this isn't the case here. there's no reason to ban these characters because of the advantages they have. they just aren't so powerful that this is necessary. if anything, we might see low-tier tourneys come up again, but that's probably all.

just watch, next they'll ban all pros cause they're broken.

LeifusYourGod

Smash Cadet
probably just local kids who didn't know what they were doing. like i've been to local ssbm tourny's that banned peach downsmash cause it was "overpowered" so don't trip my friend, and keep up the wolf!

sugarpoultry

BRoomer
BRoomer
If you go to a tournament where regular tournament rules aren't put into play, THOSE are the people who think if this crap like banning characters. They don't know what they are talking about.

chronoize

Smash Journeyman
its sad that people make up excuses such as "wolf is over powered" to a point where they have to ban the character. pretty pathetic to ban a character, i wonder if they felt "pro" with wolf out of the picture

reborn394

Smash Apprentice
Worst spacie? Hardly. Falco is garbage. He get nerfed HARD. You may think this because you haven't played a good Wolf. Wolf has disgusting range and can cover a lot of ground from the middle of the stage. If you control the center, and use his blaster and shine according to stun in to combos, he will DOMINATE. His dmash and fsmash are quick, powerful and have long range.
Agree here because wolf does cover insane range with his brute shot and has good mid-range priority. I think wolf is a ground version of fox/falco; who is an anti-defensive character with the fsmash/dsmash and a defensive character with the brute shot ( I personally like short-hop bshot). The reason many people in smash boards are "hating" against wolf is because he's a character design to counter the defensive game that many people utilize as a strategy. Forward Smash and blaster don't become predictable if you change your strategy once in a while (this is when the "mind game" concept plays in). Wolf might have problems against Fox/Falco because they play a similar game to him; except they play more of an air game (Fox with his up air move, down air edge guard/rush-ins and aerial blasters).

Also, keep in mind that wolf's back air has good priority since it's quick and powerful (A good strategy is using reverse aerial rush [RAR] with back air). And let's not forget the good old spike (down air) :). I don't know why but the later has a strange hitbox for me.

VEC

Smash Journeyman
Wolf may be cheap, overpowered, good projectiles, a noob could play him, but he souldn't be banned

xNecrox

Smash Cadet
Wolf Shouldn't Even Be Put In The Game Them Spammers F-Smash/D-Smash/F-Smash/D-Smash Over And Over Until A Knockout So Yes He Should Be Banned

reborn394

Smash Apprentice
reborn394 didn't read my post
I guess I like Wolf more than Falco. Falco is good and all but it's nice to experiment with new characters too. Sorry if I was being biased with Wolf NJzFinest and not agreeing with your Falco post, but Falco was a dominant character for too long in Melee and I think other characters need a spotlight as well.

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
People who think Wolf is overpowered obviously suck at this game.

If you think Wolf is overpowered, then you're obviously falling for spammed smash attacks, which by the way, are slow as hell. You're running into blaster shots that don't travel more than four inches in front of the guy, and ... well ... that's about all he has, to you complainers.

Stop being so gung-ho about your play style, and you'll have a decent match.

Wolf93

Smash Apprentice
belfast but orginally from the Isle of Man
i don't think they should have banned wolf, if they do this again they should Ban Fox and Falco since they got Refetors and blasters to but i haven't played Brawl yet as its not out in the uk till May 30th. Does anyone know if there is going to be Tournies is Belfast as i want to see how good i am when brawl comes out and when i unlock Wolf

BluMilk

Smash Apprentice
wolfs not overpowered (yet) but hes deffinatly gonna be top tier.
go look at the official teir disscussion.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
wolfs not overpowered (yet) but hes deffinatly gonna be top tier.
go look at the official teir disscussion.
Go look at the SmashBackRoom, the place where they actually make the tier list. Last time I saw a suggested tier list, Wolf was in B/C tier (it goes S, A, B, C, D).

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
Yeh, Wolf is definitely not over powered,
he does however seem like a character casual players will stick to just because he has a moderately spammable projectile and a spammable f-smash and d-smash. Other wise, he's really easy to counter in competitive play. Definitely as mid tier as they come.

goodoldganon

Smash Champion
Wolf is easy to pick and play decently well, but once you learn how to fight him he becomes pretty predictable. I don't think he'll be as low as NJz suggested, but then again I probably don't know as much as the Backroom.

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
in person he can be more manageable using autocancling to kill some of the lag on his fair specifically, but he really is cut-and-dry mid tier material

Romancer

Smash Cadet
I find it funny how most wolf players desperately defend him over not being overpowered, while virtually all else whine over him being overpowered!

I'll tell you the truth, you are all noobs and there is no such thing as a character so overpowered that he/she needs a ban.

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
I actually prefer Pikachu to wolf, i liked wolf relatively soon after release, but i've found pikachu is much gayer than wolf lol.

Fletch

Smash Master
Go look at the SmashBackRoom, the place where they actually make the tier list. Last time I saw a suggested tier list, Wolf was in B/C tier (it goes S, A, B, C, D).
I agree with this, Wolf isn't even the best spacie let alone near the best character in the game or good enough to be considered overpowered.

Ch0zen0ne

Smash Lord
Lol.. brawl much like melee is a game that doesn't really have any character that is over powered enough to call for a ban... learn the matchup and get over it >_> even in games like WoW or Street fighter.. where there are CLEARLY toons that are obviously far superior to the other characters choices avalible there are no bannings to speak of.. even if a character seems over powered there are always ways to counter them.. and honestly.. what is the point of banning a character fully anyway? that characters "overpoweredness" will just be taken over by another character later.. and if you're having such difficulty defeating your local Wolfs, then counterpick ROB, or learn a secondary that has a legitimate chance of winning...

DON'T SCREAM BAN! JUST BECAUSE YOUR METAKNIGHT CAN'T BEAT A WOLF.

L2P.

litlwing

Smash Apprentice
ive delt with people saying my wolf is suck and couldnt win without the pistol... so i won without the pistol prove that you can win without the gun and that shuts them up as far as that goes

PhoenixAlpha

Smash Journeyman
ive delt with people saying my wolf is suck and couldnt win without the pistol... so i won without the pistol prove that you can win without the gun and that shuts them up as far as that goes
Yeah, there's really no point in complaining about the gun if you can't fight him up close anyway. My roommate uses Wolf almost exclusively. My strategy for him is to just be careful: he spams the gun a lot, but he smacks me around up close, too. There are ways around both; you just have to play your cards right... or get new cards!

KingDiDiDiddy

Smash Apprentice
Wolf is so overpowered here is why:

- all his tilts do at least 215% damage and his Blaster actually kills characters making them unplayable on your wii.

- His forward smash goes the whole length of the screen and then halfway back if it didnt hit anyone.

- All his attacks are 1 hit KO's and have no startup time/ending lag at the end

- He cant be damaged. if your opponent hits you he will just catch what you are doing with his hand and send you flying.

Im glad he got banned at your tourny everyone is seeing the light now that wolf IS overpowered

Ghost07

Smash Journeyman
I think the tread creater got his question answered a long time ago. We all agree that wolf is not overpowered so lets let this thread rest.

Wolf_FTW

Smash Journeyman
Wolf is so overpowered here is why:

- all his tilts do at least 215% damage and his Blaster actually kills characters making them unplayable on your wii.

- His forward smash goes the whole length of the screen and then halfway back if it didnt hit anyone.

- All his attacks are 1 hit KO's and have no startup time/ending lag at the end

- He cant be damaged. if your opponent hits you he will just catch what you are doing with his hand and send you flying.

Im glad he got banned at your tourny everyone is seeing the light now that wolf IS overpowered
This post is great and yeah end thread i just hand to compliment you on this post.

reborn394

Smash Apprentice

If you think Wolf is overpowered, then you're obviously falling for spammed smash attacks, which by the way, are slow as hell. You're running into blaster shots that don't travel more than four inches in front of the guy, and ... well ... that's about all he has, to you complainers.

Stop being so gung-ho about your play style, and you'll have a decent match.
Exactly how well do you space in this game? The spammed smash attack part is understandable; your not going to fall for the same strategy again (there are people that get pressured during a match, so this can be proved invalid). Also, don't underestimate the brute shot (yes, it's a brute shot); each shot deals 5% for each hit, covers half the stage as far as I'm concerned (tested this on Final Destination), and has a stun effect to it. I know this is off topic, but I want to emphasize on how strong wolf's forward b move is for 3 reasons:

1. The move stuns the opponent when it connects directly, deals decent damage (10%), and sends the character in a side trajectory.

2. Mind Games. Wolf can do this repeatedly to grab on to an edge and attempt a safe recovery (This works for me, so I dunno) . I'm sure any normal person realizes how fast this move comes out and knows the effect that was already mentioned; providing you'll try and stop wolf at the edge when he's doing this.

3. Covers good range when recovering. God, I love that 40 degree angle this move travels in.
:)

I could go on and point out many aspects of this amazing character, but I want to keep this post short for purposes of it being on topic, and because I just want to play SSBM now :)(yes I still play SSBM).

Note: The shots aren't that slow.

I think he is :ohwell:

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
This sounds like some scrub-tastic tournament that a friend of mine told me about. They wanted to ban Ike, but ended up splitting the bracket into Ike users and non-Ike users and having them fight each other in the end.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
Also, don't underestimate the brute shot (yes, it's a brute shot); each shot deals 5% for each hit, covers half the stage as far as I'm concerned (tested this on Final Destination), and has a stun effect to it.
It's easy to dodge. It's hard for me to spam that move because of it's range and slow speed.
1. The move stuns the opponent when it connects directly, deals decent damage (10%), and sends the character in a side trajectory.
Which isn't easy at all to land, especially on people who are aware of that. Trust me, I try it :p you can rarely bank on it.
2. Mind Games. Wolf can do this repeatedly to grab on to an edge and attempt a safe recovery (This works for me, so I dunno) . I'm sure any normal person realizes how fast this move comes out and knows the effect that was already mentioned; providing you'll try and stop wolf at the edge when he's doing this.
They can just hog the edge....happens to me oftenly. Also, recovery in general for every character in the game is pretty safe due to the changes from Melee.
3. Covers good range when recovering. God, I love that 40 degree angle this move travels in.
:)
Same range as the other space animal Forward Bs. It's either equal or slightly better then Fox's, definately inferior to Falco's though.
I could go on and point out many aspects of this amazing character, but I want to keep this post short for purposes of it being on topic, and because I just want to play SSBM now :)(yes I still play SSBM).
Yeah, you went over 2 moves... that don't even make him good lol.
I think he is :ohwell:
In response to the post you quoted, you probably do suck :(

theGreatDekuTree

Smash Journeyman
local tourneys dont know what their doing and they abuse crack cocaine daily
**** all these fools who overuse the word "broken" and "overpowered"
**** you all i mean it too

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom