• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wolf is Top Tier!

Illussionary

Smash Journeyman
Well from my gaming expierience. Wolf's play style is similar to Falco's style in Melee, also with bits and peices of Shiek in there also. He is still pretty fast and is heavier then Fox and Falco, this combined with his strength make for a good combination. Anyway his recoveries may not have the range of Falco's Phantasm, but are non the less very effective. He also has a dair spike, which if combo'd right can be an easy kill almost everytime. Speaking of combos Wolf has amazing combos and juggles in his arsenal too. With all these factors I think it adds up to a Top Tier Character.

Think and Discuss.

vills

Smash Cadet
screw what u guys say bout falcon hes still high tier
same with mario xD

Zelacoth

Smash Rookie
I think wolf seems high tier now because he is the easiest person to pick up and be really good with. I still think he is in the top 5, but hes also really easy to be good with.

All the wolfs i've played have just spammed b, and spammed the c stick (fast, ranged, high priority smashes) and they're surprisingly good

Umpy

Smash Apprentice
uh no, he is prolly mid-high tier, b/c he , along with only a handful, can have his recovery ganked to hell.

Wufei74

Smash Rookie
I dunno. I mean he's not super fast or anything. I main with wolf as of now, and I tend to stay away from b spam, unless I have them off the edge. I tend to use his smashes a lot, but lately I've tried to use his tilts more along with his neutral A attacks. I think he's a great character, but not for everyone. He's fairly easy to counter, just keep your distance. A good Olimar would wreck a wolf :p

Sculelos

Smash Journeyman
High Tier most likely, Pit, Metaknight, Diddy Kong and Toon Link still seem to have an advantage over him.

Edit: Wolf is still my main right now, going to stick with him and maby use Falcon as my secondary.

Bocks

Smash Apprentice
I dunno. I mean he's not super fast or anything. I main with wolf as of now, and I tend to stay away from b spam, unless I have them off the edge. I tend to use his smashes a lot, but lately I've tried to use his tilts more along with his neutral A attacks. I think he's a great character, but not for everyone. He's fairly easy to counter, just keep your distance. A good Olimar would wreck a wolf :p
his tilts (excluding up) are his only weakness + wolf is one of olimars only counters + aerials are better for edge guarding + laser spam on stage owns, u cant keep wolf at distance unless ur pit / falco + wolf is probly HIGH tier, cent be sure yet give it time

oh n someone said he wouldn't be high tier based on recovery, lol@U see falco in melee

Spacecadet

Smash Cadet
Falco's recovery in melee is what kept him from being the top of top tier. other than that, his moveset was pretty awesome

Back on topic: On that same reason, that's probably why he'd be mid-high. Lacking good tilts means you have to rely more on smashes (I'm ignoring aerials for now), which means your kill moves may be gimped to hell and back due to spammage.

Now looking at his aerials, his B-air is his really only solid KO. His U-air isn't exactly fantastic, and his F-air (unless properly timed so it can auto-cancel) leaves him laggy for a bit longer than would be liked in the upper tiers. His D-air is a nice spike, but is fairly obvious when being used. I don't even know what to say about his N-air, but I think it's fun.

Other than that, most of his attacks send people straight up, which I dislike, but could probably be put to good use. So yea, I think Mid-high.

And whoever laughed at Marth not being top tier is a silly person.

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
Wolf is too slow to be Top Tier. He's a very unique fighter that's for sure but when it comes does to competitive play he doesn't have enough going for him to make up for his lack of speed. If you gave him Fox's speed on the ground he'd be in the running for the Top spot. Unfortunately his running speed is laughable.

However this is the kicker. His moves have tells. You can easily figure out which move he's preforming from it's start-up animation. Yes, yes I know you can tell with all the characters. However Wolf is different in the sense that his moves are wild and exaggerated. I can Powershield any of his attacks at any time. His only multi-hit attacks are his forward-tilt and his A-A-A combo. Again very easy to see coming and won't ruin many people's Powershield.

I love Wolf. He's my second main. But I only play him because he matches my personality and fighting style in real life. He's fun to play and he suits certain people. And while I'm sure we'll see a few people grab Wolf and place high in tournies, he just won't cut it as Top or maybe even High tier.

(Note: The moment your Powershield an attack against Wolf he will either get comboed or smashed off the edge.)

Drack

Smash Apprentice
I don't think Wolf is going to be top tier.

What does it matter, anyway? Play who you're best with, not who everyone else is best with.

Shine-Fu

Smash Cadet
I main with wolf as of now, and I tend to stay away from b spam, unless I have them off the edge.

He's fairly easy to counter, just keep your distance.
Here's your problem. .The blaster typically is designed to spam as a followup to a forward smash that sends them too far out to connect again. If they want to play a distance game, spam the blaster, as they probably won't be able to do much with projectiles through its stun, and in the rare case they have a better projectile, reflect it.

At least the way I play wolf, its all about space control. Make them play within your smash range, then punish them for doing it.

Wrath`

Smash Master
a) I hate tiers and the can go die
b) I play wolf because he is cool
c) weather or not he is high tier will not affect the wolf community.

but he will be up there, but i just hope he doesn't turn into "the fox of melee"

Bocks

Smash Apprentice
Falco's recovery in melee is what kept him from being the top of top tier. other than that, his moveset was pretty awesome

Back on topic: On that same reason, that's probably why he'd be mid-high. Lacking good tilts means you have to rely more on smashes (I'm ignoring aerials for now), which means your kill moves may be gimped to hell and back due to spammage.

Now looking at his aerials, his B-air is his really only solid KO. His U-air isn't exactly fantastic, and his F-air (unless properly timed so it can auto-cancel) leaves him laggy for a bit longer than would be liked in the upper tiers. His D-air is a nice spike, but is fairly obvious when being used. I don't even know what to say about his N-air, but I think it's fun.

Other than that, most of his attacks send people straight up, which I dislike, but could probably be put to good use. So yea, I think Mid-high.

And whoever laughed at Marth not being top tier is a silly person.
well said /closetopic

Top Bottom