• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

~ Wolf Stage Discussion ~

Ris747

Smash Apprentice
It might be worth noting which stages can be scarred on.

The most popular ones are noted on the Essence of Wolf thread (Battlefield, Halberd, Yoshis Island (Brawl), Smashville, and Norfair) But there are a few, such as Pokemon Stadium 2, that aren't noted. There are probably more and it seems to be stages with an extended vertical edge, IE. stages without and edge like FD. I'll test the other stages out later when I get the chance and report back if you don't already have a list. Let me know if you need it :) I'd be happy to help out in any way.

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
It's ridiculous how many stages the NE bans. Anyways, I think I know why I love norfair: it's huge, but you can't run across. This means... you get to abuse your ridiculous aerial momentum to cross the stage~!~ Really though, it's great. You can run away pretty well, and multiple ledges just in case, plus a low ceiling if you need it (if not just dont go to the top platforms). I'd say use it against people with low horizontal air speed.

This is also a bump (yes I'm bumping a sticky) so that people help out with the guide more, stages are a big deal y'know.

Carsonist

Smash Rookie
Yoshi's Island also helps Wolf in that it has a weird surface. When Wolf illusions near the end of the stage:

----------\ <-- here.

He goes straight like Fox and Falco, and doesn't pounce into the air.

But that's not why it makes it a good stage for him. It's that you can hit Wolf Illusion easier on this stage than Final Destination or any other stage. Even though Wolf is performing the move on the ground, there is still a sweetspot. And there is less lag than the air illusion.

JCav

Smash Lord
wow, never looked at this till now. i was johning about wolf and this makes me feel much better

and gheb, you my friend...

are sexy for making this

Peachkid

Smash Champion
NNID
Peachkid
3DS FC
0791-2008-8754
It's ridiculous how many stages the NE bans. Anyways, I think I know why I love norfair: it's huge, but you can't run across. This means... you get to abuse your ridiculous aerial momentum to cross the stage~!~ Really though, it's great. You can run away pretty well, and multiple ledges just in case, plus a low ceiling if you need it (if not just dont go to the top platforms). I'd say use it against people with low horizontal air speed.

This is also a bump (yes I'm bumping a sticky) so that people help out with the guide more, stages are a big deal y'know.
they ban Norfair in jersey? odd, its cp in mass. but the amount of options that wolf has on that stage is crazy :D i can pretty much side b anywhere, and not worry about sding. plus it messes up the cgers so im happy =D

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
According to Atomsk, yeah. It was a CP at the last tourney I went to, which was quite a while ago, I've been too busy as of late. No joke though, it's great for wolf. You can actually KO vertically easily on the top platforms (who can't, the cieling is mad low) but stuff like fair and usmash are more reliable for kills there.

Peachkid

Smash Champion
NNID
Peachkid
3DS FC
0791-2008-8754
According to Atomsk, yeah. It was a CP at the last tourney I went to, which was quite a while ago, I've been too busy as of late. No joke though, it's great for wolf. You can actually KO vertically easily on the top platforms (who can't, the cieling is mad low) but stuff like fair and usmash are more reliable for kills there.
oh yeah defiantly. plus if your on the far left or right platforms, the fsmash can actually kill at lower percents :D

JCav

Smash Lord
i would also like to add the fact that there is a lot of edges there, making a good stage for characters that can easily gimp wolf like marth

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
OK, I'll update it. However, I'd like to hear your opinions / experiences about Frigate Orpheon first

Peachkid

Smash Champion
NNID
Peachkid
3DS FC
0791-2008-8754
Frigate Orpheon is a rather interesting stage that could be good and bad for wolf at the same time. for instance, the side killboxes are rather short. so that helps his kill options, and there are platforms that slide out from both sides that would do wonders for his recovery. plus the platforms dont hurt his bair, fair or blaster useage so thats a plus. and you can fight on this stage somewhat like on Yoshi's island. plus he can scar the right side of the stage on the first formation (if its at the lowest hight)

now what makes it bad for him is that one part of the stage works wonderfully for him, the second formation. and one that utterly can break him to pieces, the first formation. a vertically moving platform, only one edge to grab onto, and the size of the stage can impact wolf negatively. the rising platform on the right side can really be a pain. because a wolf could be recovering so that he lands on that platform. but if it moves up...your probably gonna die, unless u recover close enough to the main platform to land on it. the issue about the only one grabbable ledge is kinda universal to most characters, it just affects the ones with poorer recoveries much more. but one thing people might find piroblematic on the first part of the stage is the size of the main platform. if a wolf accidentally side bs he better hope to god that he lands on the rising platform or grabs the ledge on the left side. side b is not a safe move to use on the first formation of the stage at all unless its for recovering.

Like i said, its a very very interesting stage for wolf. can make him or break him. oh and dont pick him against rob. rob ***** on that stage

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
Agreed. It seems to have a fairly high ceiling, but I'm not sure. The first stage isn't TOO bad though. The platform is a pain, and can temporarily create a wall setting, so you can dtilt there, but many other characters can also trap you. If the stage were a bit larger the first time around, it would be better too. I tend to play more aerially on the first stage because of the moving platform.

Peachkid

Smash Champion
NNID
Peachkid
3DS FC
0791-2008-8754
Agreed. It seems to have a fairly high ceiling, but I'm not sure. The first stage isn't TOO bad though. The platform is a pain, and can temporarily create a wall setting, so you can dtilt there, but many other characters can also trap you. If the stage were a bit larger the first time around, it would be better too. I tend to play more aerially on the first stage because of the moving platform.
the first formation isnt horrible. i mean its not like lylat T_T (i used to love that stage...). he has things that he can do on the first formation, but the amount of options in the second formation are alot safer and more favorable for wolf.

thankfully the platforms dont really limit his bair, blaster and fair options on the first formation

and i also think that its ceiling is pretty high as well

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Question for you Wolfies. Would any of you agree on this?:

:wolf: Wolf
Best: Smashville, Yoshi's Island
Worst: Lylat Cruise
It's for this thread, discussing each character's 3 general best and worst stages.

If no, suggestions?

chronoize

Smash Journeyman
little input on jungle japes i was playing a dedede on jungle japes. he sucked me in, jumped into the water off the left platform, i was effed up he came back safely. wolf get out of the water slower than some chars

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
This is slighly off topic, but I've heard that if kirby sucks you in for a kirbycide or whatever, he can footstool you right when you try to jump out of it, so save your jump.

I really don't think Japes is too great for wolf though, I mean it's not bad, but I don't really see many advantages there that are specific to him. Have you seen all the crazy sh*t that falco can do there? All I can do on japes (wolf exclusive) is randomly illusion cancel for an approach at the start.

castorpollux

Smash Champion
japes is good to camp on against big characters such as ganon, bowser, dk, ike... etc

Peachkid

Smash Champion
NNID
Peachkid
3DS FC
0791-2008-8754
Japes is a ok stage for him. spikes and camping work well there, but personally i think others just do better on that stage than him

Sesshomuronay

Smash Lord
With the discovery of the new dedede infinate thing on wolf what stages other than rainbow cruise are ok counterpicks for dedede?

Also this is a pretty nice guide but its not in-depth enough about counterpicking/banning stages. I dunno but I think we should like discuss vs XXX characters whats good to ban/counterpick.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
It doesn't really matter where you fight King Dedede. Every stage allows him to infinite you on the edge...

Sesshomuronay

Smash Lord
But some might be able to kind of help against it like for rainbow cruise it moves so he would have to let you go eventually. Plus it would be hard to get a grab on that wonky stage kind of.

ArcPoint

Smash Lord
Definitely a matchup where you shouldn't get grabbed.

Oh, and has anyone actually tested if there actually is an edge infinite... if so, how easy is it to do?

Sirus109

Smash Apprentice
What r perfect tourney stages besides the ones we all kno like Battlefield, FD, smashville??

Phantom7

Banned via Warnings
Actually, Wolf is pretty good at Lylat Cruise, since he can stand at the edge and sideb toward the middle without leaving the ground, thus faking out your opponent... Or I guess he can upb right into the bottom of the Great Fox and fall to his death... It just depends on how you use him, he can be great or horrible at LC.

Coraircate

Smash Cadet
Try going to Green Greens and using reflector while next to the bombs. If someone approaches, this tactic with fire them away.

Coraircate

Smash Cadet
Green Greens is a good stage for Wolf because of the bomb blocks. He can shoot them with the blaster or stand beside them and use his reflector shield as they come close to shoot them away.

Dragoomba

Smash Lord
Green Greens is a good stage for Wolf because of the bomb blocks. He can shoot them with the blaster or stand beside them and use his reflector shield as they come close to shoot them away.
Do you realize that many other characters have that same advantage?

DarkLouis331

Smash Lord
I f****** HATE POKEMON STADIUM MELEE WITH A BURNING PASSION.

If you're under the stage with Wolf...there is no recovering. The stage never fails to d*** you over.

Sorry...had to vent.

ImALemon

Smash Rookie
i dunno if this is worth anything but on japes u can side-b to the side platforms and reduce falling time. and if you use upB on the mid platform from the ground and go to a side you instantly grab the side platforms edge giving you invicibility frames.

(Dont flame me too much if this is common knowledge or if using upB as an attaack is stupid, i dont main wolf.)

MidnightAsaph

Smash Lord
Hey, I was hoping we could all rediscuss Yoshi's Island. I'm finding that I hate the stage, and when I stage-strike, I take it out second after Lylat Cruise. I cannot stand the level, and I think it hurts Wolf.

rvkevin

Smash Lord
Hey, I was hoping we could all rediscuss Yoshi's Island. I'm finding that I hate the stage, and when I stage-strike, I take it out second after Lylat Cruise. I cannot stand the level, and I think it hurts Wolf.
Consider striking Yoshi's first. Some people will strike Lylat and that would give you a chance to strike either SV, FD, or BF...If they don't you can just strike Lylat, but by striking Yoshi's first, you have a chance to have more control in the process...Either way, your guaranteed not to play on Yoshi's and Lylat.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Random update to revive this thread a bit. More updates to come soon! For now I overhauled the most common stages. Yay.

:059:

MidnightAsaph

Smash Lord
Consider striking Yoshi's first. Some people will strike Lylat and that would give you a chance to strike either SV, FD, or BF...If they don't you can just strike Lylat, but by striking Yoshi's first, you have a chance to have more control in the process...Either way, your guaranteed not to play on Yoshi's and Lylat.
I don't hate YI that much. lol Lylat is always going first.

What do you hate about YI?
I find that following the groove of the level gives you stupendous lag, and sometimes, you can do it by accident without thinking about it. Now, you're not going to want to a wolf flash like that, but if it does happen, you get scewed.

Also, I find that the uneven terrain screws with lagless fair. Not to mention the fact that the middle platform teeters.

Basically, this level is an uneven piece of crap, and I can't stand it. So, is it just me and I don't mix with it, or is there some logic to my thoughts?

Roxas1988

Smash Journeyman
Aww man and i thought lylat would be an ok stage for wolf. Although he does tend to go under the stage when scarring. I would have to say my fav stage to play in is battle and halberd for wolf.

Top Bottom