• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wolf's Dthorw... Spikes???

PkTrainerCris

Smash Ace
As the thread' s name, im wondering if anyone of you can try something... the other day i was playing agains a friend ( he was diddy kong, dunno if that matters ); i grabbed him on the right edge of battlefield and Dtrhow'd him... so he got spiked... ( a pretty strong one) and died... we both were like WTF??? Seriously???
After some research i couldnt find an answer neither here or in smashwiki
So.. the point is.. does wolf's dthrow spikes if done at the edge???

§witch

Smash Lord
Hmm...that's interesting. It's never happened for me, but that doesn't mean anything really lol. I'll have to test this later.

rvkevin

Smash Lord
No it doesn't. It just sends them in a downwards trajectory. It only works if he is on the edge, anything else and the opponent can tech it.

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
Allow me to establish the difference between a spike and a pseudo-spike.

Spike: Such as Captain Falcon's, Ganondorf's, and Falco's down aerial attack. These moves are powerful moves that send the opponent more or less directly downward. They are designed for killing people off the stage downward.

Pseudo-Spike: Or in otherwards a "fake" or "wannabe" spike. Moves like these would consist Wolf's Dthrow, Pikachu's Uair, or (I think) Mario's Dtilt. These are moves that send opponents in a slightly askew downward direction, often diagonal, but have very little hit stun and aren't meant specifically for killing an opponent in the way normal spikes are.

Not much of a difference, I know. Basically a spike is a move designed and intended to kill downward, while a pseudo-spike acts like a spike, but wasn't intended necessarily for that purpose.

Wolf's down throw would be a good example.

rvkevin

Smash Lord
Exactly what Kasha said. Wolf's downthrow doesn't have enough knockback to get an low percentage kill, which is arguably the main purpose of a spike. Suppose you were Rob and Daired Diddy's barrelled recovery, Diddy would have died regardless of percentage, but Wolf's downthrow won't kill untill %100? %150? in which a DSmash would perfectly substitute. Call it what you want, but it doesn't fit my definition of a spike.

That is not to say that it is not useful. It is a good way to get your opponent off the stage and then edgeguard from there. Particularly against Diddy, Wolf's shine is very effective at gimping his barrelled recovery, which is likely to result in a kill because of Diddy's major lag after that attack.

PkTrainerCris

Smash Ace
Yup its like a semispike
And yes, diddy was around 100%... today something similar happened... i was wolf and there was this girl playing with ike, i felt like playing soft and got her to 167% damage without killing, then i grabbed her on the middle of final destination and Dthrowed, she performed counter and ike was sliding throught the stage and beyond, she died just after the counter sound finished... epic lols :D
thanks for the feedback

ZeroFox

Smash Lord
Hmmm, it would be interesting if it did. I don't recall that ever happening to me though. Will keep an eye out on this.

D

Deleted member

Last edited by a moderator:

Darth JoBak

Smash Apprentice
has anyone tried this on the moving platform of smallville? grab on an edge and dthrow when the platform is moving in the opposite direction you are facing.... it works with G&W, I'll have to test there too

egan

Smash Rookie
thats realy intersting even if they have to be at high percents it could be cool for a few random suprise kills

CHOMPY

Sinbad: King of Sindria
NNID
Chompy621
it must be that Diddy Kong player must've had a real bad DI because the dthrow throws the player away from Wolf. Pretty cheap move if you can manage to chain grab and pummel them.

Top Bottom