• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wolfs Reflector, An In Depth Guide

Patinator

Smash Champion
lol settle down patinator, just throwing it out there lol.
Settle down? But I was trying to make a joke...

More like" Oh shiz its doctor tran" shine
...English please. o_O

I think we should just call it "Wolfing". Just like any action that comes from using Wolf. IE, say you killed someone with, say, his Bayonet.

"YOU JUST GOT WOLFED!"

Or maybe...

"No one can stand up to the way I play Wolf O'Wning!"

Just off the top of my head for end-of-the-battle Wolf taunts... But I guess this isn't the best topic lol.

"Sparking" is nice, but it doesn't capture the Reflecting purpose...

Koskinator

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3308-4564-8881
"How about zitting"

Oh yeah sure, and while we're at it we'll change his blasters name to the Acne Shot, his Up+B to Fire Pimple and his Over+B to Oxy Illusion

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
Oh by the way. Both shorthopped reflector to Dtilt and shorthopped reflector to AAA are guaranteed combos if you do it correctly. I tested it out.

What's even better is that at low %, Dtilt trips very often, and if it does, it can set up into a free Fsmash.

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
Also, as for the name, since it's almost identical to the reflector that my fan character had in that aweful old fanfic I was writing back at the start of when Melee was out, I say we call it the "Rejector" since it rejects physical attacks.

I'm totally serious, I had a fancharacter in that fic who was Fox's half-brother and he had a pink reflector that not only reflected projectiles, but punished physical attacks as well. When I first saw the I-frames on Wolf's reflector, I was thinking "HAX!"

Patinator

Smash Champion
Also, as for the name, since it's almost identical to the reflector that my fan character had in that aweful old fanfic I was writing back at the start of when Melee was out, I say we call it the "Rejector" since it rejects physical attacks.

I'm totally serious, I had a fancharacter in that fic who was Fox's half-brother and he had a pink reflector that not only reflected projectiles, but punished physical attacks as well. When I first saw the I-frames on Wolf's reflector, I was thinking "HAX!"
...Wow. Really? That is weird, NESSBOUNDER.

Rejector does sound nice.

Captain Sa10

Smash Journeyman
The rejector know doubt about it is what im voting for. It kind of fits wolf's character as well.

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
Anyway, just look at Caping, PK-ow. Crimsoning, Caping, what's the difference?
Buh?

Oh by the way. Both shorthopped reflector to Dtilt and shorthopped reflector to AAA are guaranteed combos if you do it correctly. I tested it out.

What's even better is that at low %, Dtilt trips very often, and if it does, it can set up into a free Fsmash.
Sweet. For me, that's Y, down-R, d-tilt.
Having R be a 'shield' move is great.

Reject -> Spurn. "To be unwilling to accept, consider, or receive" . . . damage. (:chuckle:)

Also, sheer = "to turn aside sharply from a straight course."
Ha, with 'shear' being the same word, rofl.

Ghost07

Smash Journeyman
The only character I know right now who can interrupt his shine is peach. That aaa combo is wicked fast.:laugh: Otherwise your correct sir.;)

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
The only character I know right now who can interrupt his shine is peach. That aaa combo is wicked fast.:laugh: Otherwise your correct sir.;)
But it must have something to do with her stun time then, because if you do this combo correctly, you hit the opponent before they recover from the reflector's stun.

Koskinator

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3308-4564-8881
What really gets me a lot of the time watching these pro wolf players in their matches, you can sit back and watch all the times where a perfectly good reflector could have been tossed up. Next time you watch GERM or Luciens videos, just try and find painfully obvious places where a reflector could have been.

§witch

Smash Lord
Just don't use it on characters with swords, most of the time it won't work.
Not true at all. Shine can stop toon links fsmash dead in its tracks and he has the second longest sword. The disjoint doesn't matter, if the disjoint touches the shines while it has the counter their attack is done, end of story.

Koskinator

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3308-4564-8881
No dream, I use it on sword jugglers all the time. Invincibility frames are invincibility frames, a sword isn't going to work any better than anything else. The attack of the reflector might not hit, but the invincibility frames still prevent you from getting further juggled.

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
It doesn't matter if they have a sword or not, you're totally invincible for the first frames, and what's more, the reflector itself has quite a bit of range. If you're falling towards someone while you're using it, and you dodge their attack with it, the shock WILL connect.

snadmonkey

Smash Journeyman
I stand by the other top wolf's that the reflector is not an offensive abilitiy. Its only good use is to stop WoP's or quick aerial pursuites. Btw, the reflector doesn't not always combo into ftilt or A combo etc, any char can get in a shield before u attack, unless they were airborne when struck. HOwever, most players don't get in the shield, so use it until they can do it.

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
I stand by the other top wolf's that the reflector is not an offensive abilitiy. Its only good use is to stop WoP's or quick aerial pursuites. Btw, the reflector doesn't not always combo into ftilt or A combo etc, any char can get in a shield before u attack, unless they were airborne when struck. HOwever, most players don't get in the shield, so use it until they can do it.
Not true.

From a running short hop, if you use the reflector at the apex of the jump and hit with it, you WILL be able to land an AAA combo BEFORE they can put up their shield.

Stop spouting negativity and actually go to training mode, set the game to run at 1/4 speed, plug in a second controller and TRY IT YOURSELF.

Fugu15

Smash Cadet
I would strongly recommend to never short hop into shine to your opponent. I see so many wolves try to do that short hop shine into aaa. Against a good player, you will get shield grabbed 90% of the time on a blocked shine. Maybe like once a match to really surprise him. But out of all the wolf dittos so far, i maybe got hit by it a few times, but got 100's of shield grabs on my opponent trying to do it. There are just so many better ways to approach.

SHined BLind

Smash Apprentice
Shining is pretty dead in Brawl. The only combo I found for wolf's shine is short hop shine to shine again, into anything with good reach and speed, like F-Smash. But it sucks against disjointed hitbox users and it's two reliant on mindgames.

D

Deleted member

Last edited by a moderator:

Captain Sa10

Smash Journeyman
I didnt uderstand the above post at all....

BTW Kos, as for this to be stickied since people are beginning to forget about the usefulness of this thread.

Koskinator

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3308-4564-8881
I highly doubt a mod would sticky a thread pertaining to a single move in a characters moveset. We'll just have to keep it bumped I suppose.

Loup17

Smash Apprentice
the shine isn't great as an approach, but it can be used offensively just fine. i think it is best however, for defensive uses. btw, has anyone checked if it would stop a final smash, like say, link's?

and and did it ever get decided which name would be best? i personally have always hated calling it a shine, it's so different than the other space animal's.

Koskinator

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3308-4564-8881
Yes, it can stop a final smash, it has invincibility frames. However, you better have a firm set of grapes to try it out. Its risky, because you only have like, half a second of invincibility, so your timing has to be perfect.

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
I would strongly recommend to never short hop into shine to your opponent. I see so many wolves try to do that short hop shine into aaa. Against a good player, you will get shield grabbed 90% of the time on a blocked shine. Maybe like once a match to really surprise him. But out of all the wolf dittos so far, i maybe got hit by it a few times, but got 100's of shield grabs on my opponent trying to do it. There are just so many better ways to approach.
So say the opponent is Marth and I'm Wolf, and I've been using Bair to approach for a while, and the Marth is using side B chains to get through my approach.

I use reflector from a short hop, and the Marth attacks, misses because of the invincibility frames, and then I combo into an AAA before he recovers from the stun.

You just have to find ways to use it smartly. There is plenty of application for a shorthopped Wolf reflector.

3GOD

Smash Ace
I'm pretty sure the Shine has invincibility on Frames 1-8 with the hitbox appearing on Frame 9 (but he would be potentially vulnerable from a disjointed hitbox at this point assuming it doesn't clank).

8 frames of invincibility may not seem like a lot, but it's really quite amazing compared to many characters who have none. Even characters with Super Armor typically only get about 5 frames max of super armor.

The real downside to Shine (maybe why you don't see many "pros" use it) is that you have a fair amount of lag after the attack connects.

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
i find it more useful deffencively. Especially against Captain Falcon for some reason.

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
I always used his reflecter as... well... as a reflector, now I see the light. :)
I find it really hard to use that way, actually. :bee:

One particular problem is reflecting a bomb. I tried reflecting a Toon Link bomb, and it just passed through my invincibility, but detonated when I damaged it on the other side.

:( Painful

Koskinator

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3308-4564-8881
Just going to say a few words about the newly discovered chain shining. It works much better when your up close to an opponent and it works better on bigger opponents. However, I strongly reccomend to not do this technique towards the outside of a level. Always to it towards the center. Because you DI forward, there is a good chance you might tilt the stick to far and cause yourself to Wolf Flash over the edge.

Koskinator

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3308-4564-8881
Hey guys, just letting you all know that chainshining is basically debunked. Ive tested it out numerous times, and it can be easily shield grabbed

sgt. fuzz

Smash Cadet
When an enemy is sitting on a ledge, hop just above and to the outside of them and shine. It puts them into an awkward position underneath the stage. When characters have a bad recovery it can be very useful. Shine--> double jump--> edgehog. Works really well against Ike.

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
This Blood Shine or Moon Shine or whatever combos quite well into the AAA combo and really stops the opponent's "groove". Nice guide.

Takua1

Smash Rookie
NNID
keattz
3DS FC
4682-8726-4214
This Blood Shine or Moon Shine or whatever combos quite well into the AAA combo and really stops the opponent's "groove". Nice guide.
Aside from that, rejector sounds nice, but the invincibility frames cause the attacker to look like they (or their weapon) are seemingly passing through Wolf. That's not exactly what comes to mind when I think of rejection.

Top Bottom