• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Woodbridge, Virginia Friendly Smash Meet at Flashback Comics and Games

ted dorosheff

Smash Apprentice
anyone wanna play some PM this sunday? ill bring my setup (minus tv, hoping there will be a couple there already), and am dtp!

OluGhost

Smash Cadet
Montclair, Virginia (Woodbridge/Dumfries Area)
NNID
oluxdeo
3DS FC
4141-1892-7943
Most of you are probably catching z's, out having fun, or getting some late night gaming in right now but I just wanted to say I'm looking forward to the Sunday session and playing with everybody. It's been a few weeks and I've missed it! See you all at noon!
-Deo:4jigglypuff:

Last edited:

ephOE

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Zamiel1i
3DS FC
4356-0508-8373
Good games today, everyone. Please feel free to add my NNID if you already haven't, just include a note about Flashback games so I have an idea of who you are.

OluGhost

Smash Cadet
NNID
oluxdeo
3DS FC
4141-1892-7943
I'm awake at 330 in the morning playing this dang game all because of Mewtwo. I hope you guys are having fun with the DLC! We need to start sharing videos of each others matches, I just had a really fun one vs a mewtwo. Maybe we'll see some new tricks this Sunday since the Awakened Mewtwo has returned...:mewtwopm:

ephOE

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Zamiel1i
3DS FC
4356-0508-8373
Mewtwo is pretty fun, I'm really digging the whole glass cannon design. Looking forward to lots of Mewtwo this Sunday.

MandL27

Smash Cadet
The splash art states a fee of $4 per player; is this an entry fee or a venue fee?

ephOE

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Zamiel1i
3DS FC
4356-0508-8373
The guys who work for the store and supervise are pretty cool, they might not mind if you came in and just checked things out. If you wanted to stay for a while, even just to watch, you'd probably have to pay as it really is more a venue fee. $4 is not much either way. If for some reason you can't get $4, I wouldn't mind covering you the first time you showed up.

MandL27

Smash Cadet
The guys who work for the store and supervise are pretty cool, they might not mind if you came in and just checked things out. If you wanted to stay for a while, even just to watch, you'd probably have to pay as it really is more a venue fee. $4 is not much either way. If for some reason you can't get $4, I wouldn't mind covering you the first time you showed up.
I'm trying to avoid anything with a venue fee for now, since I'm not really serious about it. I'm mostly doing this so I can figure out a better idea of how tournaments are run.

OluGhost

Smash Cadet
NNID
oluxdeo
3DS FC
4141-1892-7943
Hey @ MandL27 MandL27 and anyone else lurkin' the thread if you're just coming in to watch they won't charge you! The fee is what they call a table fee. It's literally just a fee for a player to join in whatever games are happening on any given table since it's a table top game shop. If you're just coming in to hang out, meet people, and learn about the scene you can absolutely just come to the store like any other customers/guests do and hang with us. The fee is only if you want to participate in games. Honestly right now they're so lax about it that they might even forget to ask you to pay and sometimes I have to remind them that I owe them $4. It's very laid back there like @ ephOE ephOE said.

OluGhost

Smash Cadet
NNID
oluxdeo
3DS FC
4141-1892-7943
ALSO, they give free demos for games ALL the time. They're super cool. People sometimes come in and are curious about table top games, or even Smash and we don't mind playing a friendly match or two and wrecking somebody's grandpa or toddler who thought it was about to be all sweet until I hit that Ganon uptilt tho:4ganondorf:

MandL27

Smash Cadet
Hey @ MandL27 MandL27 and anyone else lurkin' the thread if you're just coming in to watch they won't charge you! The fee is what they call a table fee. It's literally just a fee for a player to join in whatever games are happening on any given table since it's a table top game shop. If you're just coming in to hang out, meet people, and learn about the scene you can absolutely just come to the store like any other customers/guests do and hang with us. The fee is only if you want to participate in games. Honestly right now they're so lax about it that they might even forget to ask you to pay and sometimes I have to remind them that I owe them $4. It's very laid back there like @ ephOE ephOE said.
So it's more like a $4 entry fee that's only paid once per tournament occasion. That makes more sense.

ted dorosheff

Smash Apprentice
I'm trying to avoid anything with a venue fee for now, since I'm not really serious about it. I'm mostly doing this so I can figure out a better idea of how tournaments are run.
This event is not a tournament. Its purely a group of guys getting together, ordering pizza, and playing some friendly matches. If you decide to come, you will see a very relaxed non-intimidating environment and you will probably want to play.

MandL27

Smash Cadet
This event is not a tournament. Its purely a group of guys getting together, ordering pizza, and playing some friendly matches. If you decide to come, you will see a very relaxed non-intimidating environment and you will probably want to play.
While I am definitely looking for a good group to play with, I generally see getting a better understanding of how tournaments are run as a slightly more important feature. Plus just spectating the first time gives me an opportunity to gauge the skill levels of competing players.

ephOE

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Zamiel1i
3DS FC
4356-0508-8373
We'll need to have a few more players in attendance before
So it's more like a $4 entry fee that's only paid once per tournament occasion. That makes more sense.
No, it's a $4 to play whether or not there's a tournament. While some of us who show up like to play competitively, the bottom line is for everyone to enjoy themselves, who do have a somewhat varied level of skill. You lose nothing if you decide to pop in and say hi, though.

Also there are threads on this site dedicated to being a TO, you might find the information you're looking for there. I also have a little experience as a TO (mostly for online) so I might be able to help.

OluGhost

Smash Cadet
NNID
oluxdeo
3DS FC
4141-1892-7943
I'm awake bright and early. I'll see you guys at the session! Hope everyone's having a good weekend!

I had a work related emergency pop up and may have to miss some of the session, hopefully not. But either way I'll make sure at least one set up is provided on my end or the store's end.

Last edited:

Zebkeet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ivan_Revi_Adames
I'll be able to make it this next session and, from reading these past posts, it looks like we have a potential newcomer?

MandL27

Smash Cadet
I'll be able to make it this next session and, from reading these past posts, it looks like we have a potential newcomer?
It's definitely possible! I'll probably edit this post after I figure out a date I could attend.

OluGhost

Smash Cadet
NNID
oluxdeo
3DS FC
4141-1892-7943
so this sunday are we having a little tourney?
Yes I think it will be fun for everyone to test our skills against each other for fun. If we have at least 8 players and a few set ups that would be ideal. I was hoping to have all of you guys there last Sunday so I could go over rules and suggestions/ideas for legal stages but it looks like most people couldn't make it. I'll probably enforce the standard starters and counterpick stages with a few adjustments. Strongly considering banning Lylat, and for an addition to the starters list I'm thinking of including a choice of any omega stage. I'll update you guys with a more solid ruleset/stage list soon. Now would be the time for any suggestions!

MandL27

Smash Cadet
Yes I think it will be fun for everyone to test our skills against each other for fun. If we have at least 8 players and a few set ups that would be ideal. I was hoping to have all of you guys there last Sunday so I could go over rules and suggestions/ideas for legal stages but it looks like most people couldn't make it. I'll probably enforce the standard starters and counterpick stages with a few adjustments. Strongly considering banning Lylat, and for an addition to the starters list I'm thinking of including a choice of any omega stage. I'll update you guys with a more solid ruleset/stage list soon. Now would be the time for any suggestions!
Why would you ban Lylat? Seems perfectly fine to me.

ted dorosheff

Smash Apprentice
Ill bring my setup again (TV wii with PM and controllers). We can have the sm4sh tourney on your setup and the PM 3.5 tourney on mine.

OluGhost

Smash Cadet
NNID
oluxdeo
3DS FC
4141-1892-7943
Why would you ban Lylat? Seems perfectly fine to me.
The edges tilt up and down and it affects the edge grab zone. I've seen too many matches affected by it. When a stage's design, or a stage hazard is so often the cause of death on a stage it becomes apparent that the stage itself is a deciding factor rather than skill. But I will say this, if two players agree to play on Lylat or any stage that is traditionally banned then there's no reason to deny those players the right to play that stage. Outright bans with no room for discussion is something I don't agree with. So I'm glad you asked. If anything I believe the stage striking method will be used after a rock paper scissors type decider before matches. That way decisions like who gets to choose/strike first will be made fairly. The bottom line is I just want everything to be fair and for people to have fun.

MandL27

Smash Cadet
The edges tilt up and down and it affects the edge grab zone. I've seen too many matches affected by it. When a stage's design, or a stage hazard is so often the cause of death on a stage it becomes apparent that the stage itself is a deciding factor rather than skill. But I will say this, if two players agree to play on Lylat or any stage that is traditionally banned then there's no reason to deny those players the right to play that stage. Outright bans with no room for discussion is something I don't agree with. So I'm glad you asked. If anything I believe the stage striking method will be used after a rock paper scissors type decider before matches. That way decisions like who gets to choose/strike first will be made fairly. The bottom line is I just want everything to be fair and for people to have fun.
I can think of two things that would negate that:
a) People could just not select the stage, either by always striking it or not selecting it as a counterpick, and
b) I heard from several sources that the ledges were fixed in the most recent patch.

ephOE

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Zamiel1i
3DS FC
4356-0508-8373
Lylat is a legitimate CP but poor neutral unless your pool of neutrals is 5 instead of 3. With the ledges being adjusted in 1.0.6, we are much closer to Brawl Lylat. This is pretty much universally agreed upon in the competitive scene, at least.

MandL27

Smash Cadet
Lylat is a legitimate CP but poor neutral unless your pool of neutrals is 5 instead of 3. With the ledges being adjusted in 1.0.6, we are much closer to Brawl Lylat. This is pretty much universally agreed upon in the competitive scene, at least.
Well, yeah, I'd only use it as a counterpick (imo Battlefield, Big Battlefield, FD, and the two Animal Crossing stages are good for a five-starter set).

ephOE

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Zamiel1i
3DS FC
4356-0508-8373
BBF is way too big for 1v1, even 2v2. I would use Lylat instead for 5 neutrals, or FD/BF/SV for 3.

FD is also usually interchangeable with any omega, at least when counter picking FD.

MandL27

Smash Cadet
BBF is way too big for 1v1, even 2v2. I would use Lylat instead for 5 neutrals, or FD/BF/SV for 3.

FD is also usually interchangeable with any omega, at least when counter picking FD.
I'd say to turn omegas off since one stage >>>>>>> fifty million clones of it.
Good point on BBF; never thought of that. Could it be a counterpick, though?

TheKingWalnut

Smash Apprentice
I'd say to turn omegas off since one stage >>>>>>> fifty million clones of it.
Good point on BBF; never thought of that. Could it be a counterpick, though?
I think Omega stages should be on, only because while they are flat the under parts of the stage tend to vary. For example, one on stage there may be walls below the stage while others have nothing under the stage. The information whether there is a wall below the stage or not is actually really helpful for recoveries and other things. On a personal note, I like mixing up the backgrounds so that is a part of my opinion too :/ .

Last edited:

ephOE

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Zamiel1i
3DS FC
4356-0508-8373
I've never seen BBF as a CP, I rarely see it in doubles but even then it just takes so long to KO. It might be alright though, it's not like something that demands a ban but also not something you'd expect players to gravitate towards like SV. Might be a good stage for Mewtwo, actually.

There's actually a few reasons for omegas. The first is that FD can be distracting to some, but even more so the background transition with the white light makes it difficult to see sometimes. Omega Palutena's Temple is the closest stage to FD, so at the very least it's a good substitute.

"Tower" omegas, like Wily Castle and the Sonic one (forget the name) can benefit certain characters (wall clingers, characters with vertical recovery, characters like Mac who need wall jumps to recover, and Ness) which is why they are usually allowed to counterpick there. Omega Kalos and Pac Land are "towers" that cannot be wall-jumped, and there's one more I believe but I always forget which.

Omega Halberd is very thin all across and characters with disjointed Uairs like DDD and ROB and use that to their advantage. Omega Battlefield also has a very thin ledge, so in that regard it is similar to Omega Halberd - however, because the ledge is so thin it is much less likely that Greninja's Hydro Pump will splat and essentially cause an SD (as a Greninja main this is important to me!)

And, of course, you can't overlook counterpicking a stage for the music! If the Xenoblade soundtrack is your jam then why not choose Omega Gaur over Final Destination? They do this all the time at Smash Attack, and at APEX 2015 Ally did this on stream against aMSa (you can actually watch as he mutes all other tracks besides "Mechanical Rhythm")

My suggestion would be to go with the stage list used on Smash Ladder and either pick 3 or 5 neutrals. I do think Skyloft should be left out though. I think it's very fun but the transformations are pretty buggy. I'm also kind of a fan of Dave's Stupid Rule, at least in best of 3s.

Macchiato

Smash Hero
NNID
Macchiatooo
Can I just go to the tournament day? Also Wiimote and Nunchuk is allowed right? I found out about this too late

Last edited:

OluGhost

Smash Cadet
NNID
oluxdeo
3DS FC
4141-1892-7943
Everyone is welcome, if you want to use a nunchuk that's totally fine and there's no tourney fee, just the $4 table fee. It's a tournament for fun and to sharpen your skills to see where you stand. I'll post the bracket on the first post of the thread and will announce the winner+recognize everyone who helps make this fun by participating and bringing good positive energy. I'm taking note of what everyone is saying and we'll agree on a final ruleset the day of.

Here's what I'm thinking so far:

Double Elimination 1v1 Tournament
Items off, *Customs allowed if players agree pre-match, however you'll likely need to be prepared with a set up/3ds with the moves you want already unlocked. I can't guarantee the set ups will have the moves you want already unlocked. (All the more reason to bring a set up! The more the better. )

Preliminaries:
Best of 3
2 Stocks
6 minute time limit

Finals:
Best of 5

Starter Stages (Neutrals)
These stages will be selected in the random stage select settings:
Battlefield
Final Destination
Town and City
Smashville
Any Omega

Loser's/counter pick:
All starters+
Any stage two players leave unstriked/unbanned pre match/set
Before each set players will take turns striking off stages they want to exclude.
You cannot strike the neutral stages.

I agree about the no repeated stage rule with the variation that it should be allowed only if both players agree pre-set.
We'll talk more about this Sunday. If there's any outrage let it out!

ted dorosheff

Smash Apprentice
I picked up a couple newcomers at the George Mason smash meetup last night, so we'll hopefully see them there also. One guy is a PM player and the other is a sm4sh player

Top Bottom