• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

! WORLD SMASH HIP-HOP ! Rap/HipHop/R&B/ Discussion Thread (explicit warning)

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
I feel like OF's 15 minutes are fading away. Nobody is talking about them, not even half as much as they were last year. For as much as "FREE EARL" became a thing, it's kinda like nobody cares now that he's back hahaa. maybe that's just me though.

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
I feel like OF's 15 minutes are fading away. Nobody is talking about them, not even half as much as they were last year. For as much as "FREE EARL" became a thing, it's kinda like nobody cares now that he's back hahaa. maybe that's just me though.
As much as I hate to say it, I tend to agree. Who knows whether Earl will even return to full form after his Samoan exile.

Jane

Smash Hero
have any of yall listened to A$AP Rocky's mixtape? its so damn good. i am definitely going to go see him, kendrick lamar, and drake next sunday. (i am praying to sweet merciful baby jesus that tickets aren't sold out yet...)

Jane

Smash Hero
damn. yeah i pretty much lost my **** when i saw that drake's tour was passing by my city and not the main arizona city (phoenix). lately though i've been broke as saggy titties, but i will find a way to pay for this ish.

anyways, this track was interesting. its basically just a super long shoutout over a beat, but it was still entertaining. e i'm sure youve heard this.

tyler the creator - fin
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewKznvdwVgY

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
damn. yeah i pretty much lost my **** when i saw that drake's tour was passing by my city and not the main arizona city (phoenix). lately though i've been broke as saggy titties, but i will find a way to pay for this ish.

anyways, this track was interesting. its basically just a super long shoutout over a beat, but it was still entertaining. e i'm sure youve heard this.

tyler the creator - fin
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewKznvdwVgY
Yeah, I've basically heard everything for OF now.. that was the end of the original OFT, it's really dumb lmao.

And getting to see Rocky and Kendrick is worth clawin for money.

S l o X

Smash Champion
Earl / Hodgy / Frank is the only music I listen to from OF. I love Tyler as an "entertainer" though, rofl. He's funny as ****.

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
I think Domo is funnier than Tyler.

You gotta hear Real Niggas, Love in the Mall, Respect My Gangsta, and Smokemon by that *****.

The **** funny as hell.

Jane

Smash Hero
^i used to dislike it but now i've came around to it.

but anyways, yo...

last night, i freestyled for the first time in my life at my dealer's house. keep in mind that my dealer is a musician (plays piano and guitar), he's very into the music scene, but more into the metal side of things. one of my friends was playing an andy mckee riff (an acousting guitarist, look him up, hes amazing), and my dealer just started freestyling out of the blue. it impressed the **** out of me; it was a really funny and creative freestyle, combined with the fact that i had no idea he could spit just blew my mind.

we talked about it for a bit and i told him how i always wanted to learn to freestyle but just never did it. he looked at me and told me "dude, its easy!" he started explaining to me how to do it, and it just made SO MUCH SENSE. i seriously felt like this mother****er was revealing a secret of life to me. every little thing he told me made perfect sense to me.

after he was done explaining (to summarize, its more important to keep your flow than it is to worry what youre rhyming. in fact, dont even worry about what youre going to rhyme, that will come naturally, just concentrate on keeping a cadence going), i thought that conversation was over. but no, he told me "alright, now you try." i was a little bit scared, you know. having to attempt to rap on the spot with friends around me, it was slightly intimidating. but i agreed and my friend on the guitar kept the beat going. i just started bobbing my head, not really thinking, just trying to look at something in the room to start me off. finally i was off. my verse went a little bit like this -

yo, this is my friend and his name is ryan
and we're over here just buying
some weed over here at zach's house
and none of us are wearing a blouse
instead we're here, just gettin high
and instead we're here, just gettin by
in this life we livin
cuz i still be spittin

that wasnt word for word, but i definitely rhymed all of those words something like that. that was my first freestyle verse ever, and it felt ****ing amazing. now i'm so excited to just keep trying and improving. i recommend all of you that want to start rapping to just DO IT. **** it all, put on a beat, and just start nodding your head and letting it all out, dont even think about it. just go. keep the flow going and just go and go until your mind goes blank.

soap

Smash Hero
ha, I freestyle all the time at work

I always thought it was better to think about developing your story or what u r gonna say cuz that is way more entertaining. If you have a solid vocabulary you can always find a word mid bar to cap it off, instead of basing your bars around the first rhyme that comes to your head

Jane

Smash Hero
well definitely developing a story is not a bad thing by any means, but my advice was geared more towards people like me. people that always wanted to learn but just never did it. mostly, its a mental block that you just gotta let go of.

Savon

Smash Ace
My friends and I smoke and freestyle all of time. Although I'm the only one who raps....

I notice that I rap based on the type of beat. I am really intellectual on deep Nujabes type beats, but really hood and raw on more rap beats.

Also have yall heard that new Nas mixtape? That **** is so ****ing good its not even funny. Nas was always one of my favorite rappers, but he is really doing his thing.

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
How do yall feel about the new XXL Freshman list? I only like Danny Brown on there and I'm disappointed that Earl and ASAP Rocky aren't on it but Roscoe Dash is.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Nas is really unique for me.

He's one of the only hip hop artists that really suffers when it comes to casual listening. He's basically the tech-metal of hip-hop. I know that sentence is basically meaningless to a lot of the people in here so I'll elaborate.

Nas is rarely about hooks (and when he is, they are pretty lame tbh) or punchlines, and he's not really about catchy flow most of the time...His work is so complex and full of intricacies that it really does a disservice to his music to approach it from the same mindset as a lot of hip-hop. There are tons of Nas joints that at the first/casual listen I was like "uh this is actually kinda wack" but then I'd replay them and just sit and focus on the lyrics and the complex way he pairs different rhythmic schemes and my jaw will drop...it's just art, with no pandering to the mainstream.

except for his hooks. man, I really hate 95% of Nas hooks.

Savon

Smash Ace
I like when he has singers do his hooks. He does that quite a bit though. Features more singers than rappers sometimes

:phone:

Top Bottom