• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

! WORLD SMASH HIP-HOP ! Rap/HipHop/R&B/ Discussion Thread (explicit warning)

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
need new music to listen to. help?
It's funny cause I was gonna suggest Danny Brown. lol

I've been Bumpin Flatbush Zombies for a while but them *****s only got 5 songs so you should check em out maybe. They preformed with ASAP Rocky and Danny Brown once.

But yeah, Janes totally right. There's always new rap in here (or there use to be..)

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
Drunk and Hot Girls isn't THAT bad.
Honestly there are no Kanye songs that are completely without value. As a huge Kanye fan I may be biased, but the man makes great music and doesn't just waste songs. Every track has some redeeming quality.

Nas is really unique for me.

He's one of the only hip hop artists that really suffers when it comes to casual listening. He's basically the tech-metal of hip-hop. I know that sentence is basically meaningless to a lot of the people in here so I'll elaborate.

Nas is rarely about hooks (and when he is, they are pretty lame tbh) or punchlines, and he's not really about catchy flow most of the time...His work is so complex and full of intricacies that it really does a disservice to his music to approach it from the same mindset as a lot of hip-hop. There are tons of Nas joints that at the first/casual listen I was like "uh this is actually kinda wack" but then I'd replay them and just sit and focus on the lyrics and the complex way he pairs different rhythmic schemes and my jaw will drop...it's just art, with no pandering to the mainstream.

except for his hooks. man, I really hate 95% of Nas hooks.
I'd agree for the most part, although I'd attribute that in part to the fact that he's just not in his prime anymore. I find Illmatic, for instance, to be a very good album to listen to casually or in depth.

But yeah I definitely know what you're talking about, and I feel the same way about several other artists (Lupe Fiasco, Immortal Technique, etc).

IAmBlu3

Smash Champion
Nas is really unique for me.

He's one of the only hip hop artists that really suffers when it comes to casual listening. He's basically the tech-metal of hip-hop. I know that sentence is basically meaningless to a lot of the people in here so I'll elaborate.

Nas is rarely about hooks (and when he is, they are pretty lame tbh) or punchlines, and he's not really about catchy flow most of the time...His work is so complex and full of intricacies that it really does a disservice to his music to approach it from the same mindset as a lot of hip-hop. There are tons of Nas joints that at the first/casual listen I was like "uh this is actually kinda wack" but then I'd replay them and just sit and focus on the lyrics and the complex way he pairs different rhythmic schemes and my jaw will drop...it's just art, with no pandering to the mainstream.

except for his hooks. man, I really hate 95% of Nas hooks.
I like this analysis but what do you consider casual listening? I actually have Nas in the casual listening category. I have casual listening as something you listen to with your headphones or just in a room by yourself. Not too rowdy or anything. Also.....95%? lol That's way too high. I mean, admittedly, Nas has a lot of wack songs where the only thing saving them are his lyrics, but his choruses aren't as deplorable as a lot of other artists.

Jane

Smash Hero
you consider listening to music by yourself casual listening? i'd say that those are the situations where my music listening is at its most intense and attentive. casual for me would be like, riding in my car with friends, in that i cant really focus on the music.

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
I would say a loose definition is when you're playing the song but not really specifically paying attention to the content. Playing it in a car with your friends, background music while you're doing something, something like that.

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
Anyone here listen to Blu? If you havent heard his below the heavens album its awesome!Glad my friend showed me
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHBj_5Z62hI&feature=related
Dude can spit glad i found him.
Yeah, hahaha, I remember there was a discussion in this thread about this a few months ago. But yeah Below the Heavens is an awesome album. Dancing In the Rain is probably my favorite song, but there's lots of other good ones too.

Boofy!

Smash Champion
Yeah, hahaha, I remember there was a discussion in this thread about this a few months ago. But yeah Below the Heavens is an awesome album. Dancing In the Rain is probably my favorite song, but there's lots of other good ones too.
hell yeah, cold hearted is my personal fave though

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero

skaterbaj

Smash Lord
The only OF things i like were the first 2 mellow Hypes and DOmo's second mixtape. Hodgy always comes through with ill beats. Other than those i cant really get into them.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
I like this analysis but what do you consider casual listening? I actually have Nas in the casual listening category. I have casual listening as something you listen to with your headphones or just in a room by yourself. Not too rowdy or anything. Also.....95%? lol That's way too high. I mean, admittedly, Nas has a lot of wack songs where the only thing saving them are his lyrics, but his choruses aren't as deplorable as a lot of other artists.
Casual listening is more like the way you listen to a song that is playing at a party. Something that sets the mood but is more of a background noise kind of thing. Nas going off on 20 different philosophical and societal tangents in one verse with no punchlines or hooks isn't really catered for that kind of enjoyment in most cases. That's why I like dumb mainstream rap a lot, because when you're out and just wanting to feel hype and stupid it's more enjoyable to be like "WOO SWAG" then to be like "war in the ghetto, we crabs in a barrel, they torture us. they won't be servin the beast too long, them murderers wearing police uniforms. confederate flags i burn."

soap

Smash Hero
Doo rags has a pretty nice ambient vibe tho thanks to the beat

I try to slip some Nas into party settings during the wee hours of the night when the hype starts to die down. Something like Nas/AZ How Ya livin

some lyrical hip hop is tight in the background too jus cuz the general tempo and aggression of the verse sounds dope even without paying attention. I always gotta throw on some Mos Def - Sunshine

New artists? man iono, there is plenty of dudes out there I haven't listened to but don't really have the motivation to either. Not sure if I like Danny Brown yet. Same with that Stalley *****. Was gonna to listen to some Thurz/U.N.I eventually. Right now I'm jus happy with Blu/Kendrick/Krit on rotation

o and Ab-Soul

Jane

Smash Hero
i missed drake, kendrick, and asap rocky yesterday. :( the guy that was supposed to sell me a ticket on craigslist just... never hit me up (despite having back and forth discussion with him throughout the week).

whatever though, gotta look at the positive -- at least i have 100 dollars in my pocket, and actually it looks like i'm definitely gonna need it because my car is acting up again.

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
Yeah there are plenty of people who produce their own beats and Kanye is one of the ones LEAST like Childish Gambino. And of course, Kanye is infinitely more accomplished. That said I like Gambino and I'm excited to see what he does in the future.

Did you all know he got his name using a Wu-Tang Name Generator? Sure enough, if you put "Donald Glover" as the name it returns Childish Gambino. My rapper name is Big Wicker Ventriloquist, which I personally think is awesome. My friend got Big Gay Mule hahaha. Good ****.

Jane

Smash Hero
with my full name entered, i am Temporary Spastic

with my nicknamed entered (Jonny), my name is Illegitimate Muslim Fundamentalist, hahahaha!

S l o X

Smash Champion
Go Baby was my **** back when it first came out. Played Halo 2 or 3 campaign and straight blasted it all the way through.

and +1 to ScHool Boy Q / A$AP.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
I think Kanye is this generation's Kanye

I mean, I get what you are saying, but you might as well be saying that Tyler the Creator is this generation's Kanye because he makes his own beats and raps about personal issues. I think it's just too early to make a statement like that, even though I think both CG and Tyler are talents in their own right

gunterrsmash01

Smash Champion
I think Kanye is this generation's Kanye

I mean, I get what you are saying, but you might as well be saying that Tyler the Creator is this generation's Kanye because he makes his own beats and raps about personal issues. I think it's just too early to make a statement like that, even though I think both CG and Tyler are talents in their own right
I feel that gambinos beats are similiar, like the one I posted. Camp had a lot of live orchestration just like Late Registration. I also think gambino and kanye both rapped about being different from the current scene, and being conscious about a lot of things. They both also have a lot of stuff for women and both of them have a pretty big ego. And both have been seen to dress kinda funky. Oh and Gambinos only known influence that he's said is Kanye (liked him for being different).

Tyler is nothing like kanye besides the fact he makes his own beats.

Victorian Cow is my wu name. just epic

o-Serin-o

I think 56 nights crazy
"D'Quan Lee!

your Wu-Name is

Ol` Filthy, Sweaty Bastard

Use it wisely, soldier."

What... the ****...?

#HBC | Gorf

toastin walrus since 4/20 maaaan
Hopsin, Earl Sweatshirt, and Childish Gambino. These are the only three rappers today that I can see really becoming truly GREAT rappers. I don't like a majority of hip hop or rap today, but I can vibe to any of these guys any time I want. Too damn good.

I'd personally say, all around, if I was asked, Gambino > Kanye. The fact of the matter is, Donald Grover has proven to be incredibly well rounded, what with his writing career for SNL and his role as Troy in Community being two of his biggest acting breakthroughs, PLUS his talent as a rapper? Plus he has no illuminati conspiracies with em so :ohwell:. But either way Gambino's a young dude so only time will tell where he takes his career.

What do people think of Die Antwoord? I love their music, I think they're raw as hell. Plus their Zef flow that they've adapted from their native South African culture is pretty freakin sweet. But... What do you guys think of Yolandi (the chick)? I'm in an awkward *** position O.o... She's ugly as hell but for some strange reason I find her so damn sexy, it's unfathomable. Like in this vid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cegdR0GiJl4&ob=av2e something, I DON'T KNOW WHAT, about her... It's so weird...

EDIT: I actually like Machine Gun Kelly too. Hopefully he doesn't go Brick Squad and destroy his talent :p

rhan

Smash Hero
I don't know. If MGK goes Brick Squad I might start listening to Waka more.

Waka is dope.
Yup said it.
Get at me.

FLOCKA!

Also I never really listened to Earl.. I keep hearing things.. But.. I'm not an OF fan at all.. Tyler is good sometimes but it's like.. Meh half the time. Someone give me some good Earl to listen to..

Y.b.M.

Smash Master
Appreciate the Shout out rhan.

Also, I think Waka is good. Not Lyrically...but his energy and the hype he brings to a song makes up for it. And he Real Street Dude... I mess with Real Street Dudes a lot. and I love to see them do well.
Not a fan of his music but I'm a fan of him...so I have respect for the things he does...

Top Bottom