• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

! WORLD SMASH HIP-HOP ! Rap/HipHop/R&B/ Discussion Thread (explicit warning)

Jane

Smash Hero
so dead in here O.o

wiz khalifa - never been pt. II ft. amber rose & rick ross
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=oNroYvwWbhM#!

wiz's verse was better than expected, he's picking up the pace on his flow, but he's still saying nothing. amber rose was totally unnecessary. rick ross' verse i was really feeling, in part because the beat got all "pure" during his verse.

anyone actually listen to the mixtape though? is it worth a listen?

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
"I'ma prison cell six by nine
Livin hell stone wall metal bars for the gods in jail
My nickname the can, the slammer, the big house
I'm the place many fear cause there's no way out
I take the sun away put misery instead
When you wit me most folks consider you dead
I saw too many inmates fallin' apart
Call for the guards to let them out at night when it's dark
Convicts think they alone but if they listen close
They can hear me groan touch the wall feel my pulse
All the pictures you put up is stuck to my skin
I hear ya prayers (even when ya whisperin)
I make it hotter in the summer colder in the winter
If the court parole ya then another con enters
No remorse for your tears I seen em too often
When you cry I make you feel alive inside a coffin
Watch you when you eat play with you mind when you sleep
Make you dream that you free then make you wake up to me
Face to face with a cage no matter your age
I can shatter you turn you into a savage in rage
Change ya life that's if you get a chance to get out
Cause only you and I know what sufferings about
Yo it's stunning when bed sheets become your woman
And I'm the one that gotcha weapons when the beef is coming
Maybe one day I'll open up my arms to release you
You'll always be my property n**** stay legal"

Nas >>>>

rhan

Smash Hero
Thoughts From A Balcony & Fight The Feeling (Ft. Kendrick) my favourites of the tape.

Yours?
I like Thoughts From A Balcony and The Question as of now. I gotta give it more straight through listens before I can call some more out. But those are hot.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Uh, I'm gonna be nice and just edit a link and warning to that.

I know it's an album cover but come on dude we're still on a forum for little kids.

my thoughts:

I have no clue what album that is or who it's by but I think it is the best thing to happen to hip-hop in a long time. Huge props for that. That's "I'm Gay" times a hundred and these guys didn't cop out at the last second. Makes me very happy to know that hip-hop as a culture is progressing. HAve to say though, the gun has me baffled. Not sure what the implication of that is.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?

I know it's an album cover but come on dude we're still on a forum for little kids.

my thoughts:

I have no clue what album that is or who it's by but I think it is the best thing to happen to hip-hop in a long time. Huge props for that. That's "I'm Gay" times a hundred and these guys didn't cop out at the last second. Makes me very happy to know that hip-hop as a culture is progressing. HAve to say though, the gun has me baffled. Not sure what the implication of that is.
Oh Jesus. THAT is the best thing to happen to Hiphop in a long time? What? lmao.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
I hear they're extremely left-field. And also extremely loud, lol.

I still hafta give them a listen. I'm hoping I can feel their music.

IAmBlu3

Smash Champion

my thoughts:

Lol Asaad is the name of the guy who made this. And he didn't do it for hip hop homos. He said this was to depict how rappers get "f***ed" out of their money by record labels. So far, everyone I have known that has seen it didn't get that message. Just looks like he's diminishing biggie's and pac's legacy.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Oh, that's stupid then. The album cover only works as a statement on homophobia in hip hop for me. As some dumb metaphor for record labels, it is just kinda dumb and only works on an empty shock value level.

Death Grips is the only new hip hop act I've been really interested in for a while now, besides Lil B. Ex-military is a BRILLIANT brilliant album, it's refreshing as **** to hear such raw and angry hip hop. I don't understand how anyone couldn't like Death Grips. I also really really identify with the lyrics. I love the noisiness of it all too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqcTVVUFnKQ my jammmmmmm

TO PRAY IS TO ACCEPT DEFEAT

UlyssesTheTrojan

Smash Apprentice
I feel like I initially only liked them simply due to them being so different, but then I realized I'd much rather listen to something with a little more lyricism, but I've finally come full to circle to accept that what they're doing is just the manifestation of emotion as sound, and is something that hits you harder almost anything else....

But on the whole I think Aesop Rock is better than everything else at the moment.

Either of these two artists are hilarious to play to your typical drugsmoneyguns listener. It freaks them out so bad. Aes Rock's vocabulary is as incomprehensible to them as Death Grips' primal screams.

EDIT: I didn't mean to discount the lyrics of Death Grips, its just most of the time I prefer something a bit more "clever". This mostly comes from the fact that I don't really like 95% of rap I guess. Here is my favorite rap song ever: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfN0sKlTgtQ Thoughts?

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
I hate Aesop Rock. but he seems to be the go to rapper for people who don't like rap. I can sorta appreciate him as a crossover artist for newcomers to the genre, but I really hate the high-horse that many of his fans always ride in on (not talking about you specifically, just speaking generally)

PS. ALL music is "manifestation of emotion as sound", using that to describe a musician is as if to say "this is a musician that plays music"

UlyssesTheTrojan

Smash Apprentice
I only think successful music earns that definition. Music that isn't successful is music that doesn't speak to someone. Plus I think it is fair to say that music can be more raw in its emotion than other music, a characteristic that may or may not be positive, and that is pretty much what I was trying to say about Death Grips.

Most of the things I say probably sound stupid (seeing as how I'm only 13), so take all my posts with a grain of salt.

Crooked Crow

drank from lakes of sorrow
I hate Aesop Rock. but he seems to be the go to rapper for people who don't like rap. I can sorta appreciate him as a crossover artist for newcomers to the genre, but I really hate the high-horse that many of his fans always ride in on (not talking about you specifically, just speaking generally)
Generally speaking, most people don't understand his messages. Aesop Rock is dope.

Crooked Crow

drank from lakes of sorrow
this post exemplifies the exact "high horse" I was referring to.
You didn't let me clarify.

Aesop Rock is a lyrical savant. The way he illustrates his messages is nothing short of mindblowing. I get that people don't like his initial style, and I'm not one to force it on others. My opinion against yours at this point, and even though I'm metaphorically homosexual for Aesop Rock, I'm not a raving hipster and fanboy advocating that you're an idiot for not liking him.

I love abstract and complex rhyming schemes. Therefore, I like him. Others don't. I didn't expect any other response from you, though.

IAmBlu3

Smash Champion
Can someone explain to me what it is you like about this? Half the time, I can't understand the lyrics. The other half, I just don't give a **** as to what he's talking about. Just sounds like Loud gibberish to me. If it's hip hop, it's barely so.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Damn, this is brilliant. I am really really really excited about what these people are doing.

I dunno if I can explain why I like it, because that's pretty futile. To me it is like the hardcore punk of hip-hop. It's loud abrasive and the lyrics are more about the mantra/chanting style rhythm. That with the chaotic and complex beats and the passion behind the lyric delivery....I dunno, it just hits all the right spots for me. It's raw and pissed off in a way I've never heard another hip hop group really manage. Saying something is "more rock than hip hop" doesn't really mean anything to me as a means of describing the quality of a musician. More music should cross boundaries.

but if you don't like it, no amount of words is likely to change that.

I hope Death Grips isn't the new lil b, and everyone goes "wtf is this crap" whenever I post a Death Grips song :<

IAmBlu3

Smash Champion
^^Lol did a pretty good job of explaining it. Yeah, you're right about one thing. i won't like it just because you "describe" it but I kinda get it. I just prefer to know what a person likes about music than to simply say "Yo, this **** sucks. Why the **** do people listen to it?".

I just say it's more rock than hip hop because it seems like rock anthems. When I think of Chanting/Mantras, it seems more of a rock thing to me. Dunno why. Plus, the slower delivery he gives to the "raps" makes me think he was listening to more Killswitch Engaged than Nas.

IAmBlu3

Smash Champion
I like the second part. First part sounds like a failed NES track. Really vibing to the second part. Can't really see any rapper rapping over it, personally. I just like the melody.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Just came back from a Slaughterhouse show. **** was hype.

Crook messed up one of his verses again though, lol. His verses are hard on him live, apparently.

Top Bottom