• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

! WORLD SMASH HIP-HOP ! Rap/HipHop/R&B/ Discussion Thread (explicit warning)

soap

Smash Hero
So I'm sitting in this Irish bar in Israel with my uncle tonite, and this 2pac "changes" remix comes on and it has Nelly's "Ride With Me" beat and I'm like lol this is so weird and bad. Then my uncle asks me, "is 2pac still making good music over there? I remember he was big in the 90's when I was over there."

:phone:

shadrach kabango

Banned via Warnings
An angel gets its wings with every blue note I release?

I've never really dug Aesop Rock until his work on this song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVsDQECCtAw

Sadly I withered a non-believer
When pride covered this must lust, anger, gluttony, envy and sloth
Form the frame of your demeanor
I address but a rapidly lessening portion of majors
Dissolved in the abortion of creations new laborers
Pilot burner, riddle of trades, divinity, composers
And tunnel through and out of spite the anti hero dosage
In a cradle I label the dreaded simulation we compile
Tenets embedded within synthetic inclination
We have never dined on bait so when corrupt crooks
Hook simple Samaritans' eyes buried in books
Shift on a badda datta sun moon merger to guard the difference
The New York MC population dancing uncontrollable expansion
I, cyclothymic pound dodger
Push a wooden nickel towards town squatter bother me not
My wallow across the village drunk and mumbling in the streets
'bout how an angel gets its wings with every blue note I release
An angel gets its wings with every blue note I release?
Could this be lies? Cause I'm gonna spit cobalt 'til every angel flys
I blew the operation set to clinch victor
Walkie talkers turn awkward fixtures to complete the wicked mixture
The fire and ice combination adjourns fresh
I return with the last living specimen caressed
When the earth is vacated and the populous cleared
I'll be the last star fighter sipping a goblet of my tears

I DON'T KNOW WHY THIS SONG IS SO DOPE!!!! His flow is so interestingly tumultuous.

"In a cradle I label the dreaded simulation we compile Tenets embedded within synthetic inclination." I love how it sounds like it's going to set up for a sick punchline after "we compile," but then he rides it out low-key with the internal "embedded within synthetic inclination."

Could this be lies? 'Cause I'ma spit cobalt until every angel flies! I can only guess at what he's talking about but IT SOUNDS COOL AS **** LMAOOOO!

It's just a total cataclysmic cluster**** of badassery.

Now Aesop Rock be the handle
While your breath control is tough, to breath along is not enough
I correspond to a kick snare blind
But share the passion
But a small percentage of the masses and their fashion

HOLY CRAP IS AESOP ROCK A GENIUS?

Malice Chains

Smash Journeyman
I didn't even read the list after seeing that Lupe is 49th. It was on top of the page lol. I mean all favortism aside but there are not 48 rappers dead/ alive better than him in the lyrcism department

:phone:

Boofy!

Smash Champion
It's my 23rd, at 24 you become closer to 30 than 18. Feels wild, considering I remember playing SSBM but not being able to buy a dutch lol.

shadrach kabango

Banned via Warnings
SoleSides Greatest Bumps is one of the true hidden gems of the underground world. WEST COAST REPRESENT!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIggGrzHbgY

Two of the most ambitious verses known to hip-hop!

There are many things to love about the first verse. For one he's just straight going in, battle-rap style! The delivery is precocious as Lateef seemingly creates his own rhyme schemes out of mid-air. Can you imagine the skill crafted in the flow needed to pull this **** off?

Look *****
You know I'm comin' tight
So you can switch them hips from left to right
All night and won't nobody give a ****
If you were sittin'
I might ask you to stand so you can take a load
Off your mind
Cause the lyrics you kicked were so butt-brained
It must be synonymous
With your behind in the time and you know your rhymin'
Sucked black
So I can't still figure out why the ****
He was all on my nut sac
THE SYNCOPATION!!!!

He was droolin' water and who are you foolin'
Tryin' to act so cool
And when it comes to the duelin'
Pull up a stool and we can begin the schoolin'
Ooohin and Ahhhin
Hahahahaha! I have the utmost respect for how he switches up the tempo not just to show off but to advance the structure of the song in the listener's mind.

And who should be beggin' the pardon
For the disaster as I blast you into
Anti-matter make you scream out uncle
As I punk you with the funk
Watch you crumble like a punk will
Another chump killed
As I chuckle pumpin' steel through the steel
So that I can steal the show
The bug had know appeal
Meaning that I don't feel the whack
EVEN when you be feeling that
No matter how slow you go
You still got no-THING to say
When skills are softer than clay matter
So sick when he says "punk will," harmonious with the beat.

C'mon man, that ain't where the cash is
You musta thought that pretty *** **** was gon' make
Some dough on the strength of those promo pictures
Hoe
Blow me down
I be astounded if you could even go just one more round
And I'm from the ‘O'
Challenging you in your own goddam town
And I know the homies gon' clown
When they hear the profound thoughts and
Experiences applied from my strife to the
End of your life on this mic
The years run off by the hour
The aspirations FLEE with the YEARS
As they get devoured with time
Eventually you will age and collapse
What good are your raps if your
Synapses can't fire
The rapid rhymin' and tactics
That I can flash with
Automatically blastin' back and
Cappin' and laughin' at all of this whack
Material that you brought
Devoid of substance lacking
Action between word and thought and
That "devoid of substance lacking action between word and thought" is brilliant! It must be absurdly difficult to stack your rhymes up like that -- it's so effective to the listener that I can't otherwise explain why more artists don't do it.

Perhaps it's best for e'rybody
If we just cut short
Perfect conclusion to a perfect verse.

Verse 2:

And when you die
Your heart stops
The brain is TECHNICALLY ALIVE
For three or four minutes
Digesting the curse for the next 24 hours
Give or take a smidgen
You listen to his flow and you're like, Okay, how is he going to make this work? The process is really cool, but none of it matters if you can't wrap your couplets up in a neat little bow. But then he rhymes "minutes" with "smidgen." Clever. He's full of lines like that:

The grip of rigor mortis clenches its fist
And two to six hours
Relinquishes
[/quote]Nose and softer tissue turns to a
Jelly consistency thicker than Jell-O
Cornea of the eyes are no longer clear
Sickly jaundiced yellow[/quote]

But hey, really though
Why even trip
It ain't only the physical in which
Your consciousness exists
Hahahahaha! What a sick transition.

You should desist and listen
To the mix you're missin'
With the kicks that's hittin'
In the midst of the mist
Into which you're slippin'
The lights start to dim
And the lesson of perfection
You're witnessin' is the wreckoning
The only rappers who come to mind who have displayed skill on the same level as this song are Shadrach Kabango and Tonedeff.

Malice Chains

Smash Journeyman
I just told my white friend that Childish Gambino had a new mixtape out, you shoulda seen the look on this dudes face LOL

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
i'm getting on a pretty big Blu kick lately...specifically the Herfavcolor mixtape. I'm in love with all of the movies that are sampled on there and I never expected to hear samples from Punch-Drunk Love in a rap album so it makes me happy.

this is my fav track http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7vqcvNpKI4 . i really like the radiohead sample and how it's chopped up.

Master Slice

Smash Apprentice
As far as 'Bino goes Royalty is definitely a banger for riding around the streets. As far as the content on it I'm not really feeling some of these features on there it needs more Childish Gambino. Danny Brown definitely ripped that Toxic verse and I'm gonna have to start looking him up. Wasn't really impressed with his XXL Freshman stuff. Nobody actually stood out to me there.

Also, what are y'alls thoughts on Frank Ocean? Frank Ocean as y'all may know is def in my top 3 favorite artists and I jam nostalgia, Ultra almost everyday so I was actually kinda heartbroken (yes homo) but not really shocked. I mean he did write songs for Beyonce and Bridget Kelly etc. I was always like "Wtf?" when I would hear We All Try and he would say "I don't believe that marriage is between a man and woman but between love and love." I was like that's kinda outta nowhere ya know? But now it all makes sense. And as far as Thinking About You I always thought it was weird he never changed the lyrics. If anything it makes the song much stronger, much more tragic. That note that he posted was actually sad joe. I'm still gonna be copping Channel Orange and singing along to it. HYYYYYYPE!!!!

Also if anybody cares please leave feedback on this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPmVOEuMmVo

Jane

Smash Hero
I was always like "Wtf?" when I would hear We All Try and he would say "I don't believe that marriage is between a man and woman but between love and love." I was like that's kinda outta nowhere ya know? But now it all makes sense.
a couple days ago he publicly stated that he is bisexual. he has left clues in his songs before, like in oldie: "i'm high and i'm bi, wait i mean i'm straight."

edit- oh, thats what you were saying, i think. idk you never stated wtf you were talking about exactly lol

Malice Chains

Smash Journeyman
Frank Ocean will continue to be an irrelevant dude to me, was before the gay thing and still is.

soap

Smash Hero
i'm getting on a pretty big Blu kick lately...specifically the Herfavcolor mixtape. I'm in love with all of the movies that are sampled on there and I never expected to hear samples from Punch-Drunk Love in a rap album so it makes me happy.

this is my fav track http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7vqcvNpKI4 . i really like the radiohead sample and how it's chopped up.
I love the sample from "Closer". That movie was really funny to me.

Ya I love that album now too. I actually bought a hard copy. Sounds alot better after the tracks are actually mastered.

IAmBlu3

Smash Champion
lol

waaaaa some guy whose music i listen to has sexual preferences that don't line up with my worldview
I don't really know why women complain, though. I mean, aside from religious reasons, i don't really know why they'd have a problem with a male singer saying 'he' instead of 'she'. I still like his music. Just don't understand all the backlash when nobody has a problem with any woman being bisexual.

IAmBlu3

Smash Champion
you should be an american idol judge

Lol, nah. I don't say what I say for shock appeal. Them dudes just need to iron out their flows; **** isn't smooth in any sense of the word.

I shine in december.....that's when it snow - I hate this line.

Become the type of rapper to rap about just how i got....here. - I hate this line....so much. Like, I had to stop what I was doing just to hate this line with my whole capacity

shadrach kabango

Banned via Warnings
I like and respect Blu. I just don't think he does anything at or near the top of his class. He's in his own lane, though, which is why I respect him. But I lost interest after he seemingly stopped collabing with Exile. They had great chemistry. Blu, on his own, doesn't have the flow to compete.

I feel like everything he's done post-Below the Heavens is too much of a snooze-fest. That's cool if you have DJ Premier production, but there's no contrast. It's just laid-back lyrics over laid-back beats. I prioritize flow over everything, and that's Blu's weak point.

I also don't like how he falls back on typical hip-hop cliches at random. His songwriting has a ways to go. Sometimes it's brilliant, sometimes it's throwaway.

I would like to get into Blu more, actually, but I just can't follow his catalogue. It's like everything post Below the Heavens has been advertised terribly. Like one day he woke up, got high, and decided to release a mixtape without telling anybody.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
I like and respect Blu. I just don't think he does anything at or near the top of his class. He's in his own lane, though, which is why I respect him. But I lost interest after he seemingly stopped collabing with Exile.
Lol what are you talking about they're releasing a mastered version of that Flowers LP from last year with extra tracks later this year.

I don't mind Blu's style as far as releasing **** goes, he's doing his thing and just lets **** out when he wants it out. Hit up 2dopeboyz or something and you can get news on him whenever its released.

soap

Smash Hero
He just released another project with Exile this past year, but I actually respect him not falling back on the same producer just cuz it works.

His willingness to free lance and collaborate with other producers / produce himself has produced some interesting music. HerFavColour, Jesus, Open. I wasn't so much into NoYork, but it was definitely kinda out there.

I don't mind that he randomly releases projects, I've just gotten used to the fact that it will be the unmixed version and I just usually wait for the official release. Wait no I don't.

soap

Smash Hero
well, he produced all of herfavcolor

u don't even like the amnesia beat?

he is kinda mellow, but I'm kinda mellow most of the time so that probably explains it

shadrach kabango

Banned via Warnings
Top Bottom