• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Worst match up for mega man?

Ksn245

Smash Cadet
Fox and Falco because of their reflectors. Lucina takes everything away and villager can pocket all your projectiles, but if a fox can pull of a good shine on a move like fsmash, there's no way you can react to it

Sorichuudo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1977-1410-9227
Fox and Falco because of their reflectors. Lucina takes everything away and villager can pocket all your projectiles, but if a fox can pull of a good shine on a move like fsmash, there's no way you can react to it
I actually play against Lucina a lot cause i have a pal that uses her, and i must say, the MU against her is in our favor. She has a really hard time getting through our wall of projectiles, and she doesn't kill particularly earlier, since she lacks Marth's tippers.
As long as we save our second jump, she wont be gimping us anytime soon either. Again, i know that is unreliable to judge if your only experience against a good Lucina is one of your friends, but is just what it seems to me.

Villager can't pocket all of our projectiles, he can pocket ONE and use it later, and as i said before, pocketing a MB makes no difference, we can bring another out if he does it. Also, pocketing lemons, how hilariously futile XD.

And yeah, Falco and Fox taking away our fsmash is a pain, since is one of hour kill moves wich gets shut down, but is not much of a loss.
Not like we aren't used to a ridiculous amount of the cast having a way to absorb/reflect our fsmash.

Teshie U

Smash Lord
Against Villager watch out for pocketed crash bombs as they can kill you and do massive shield damage. If you run skull barrier watch out for him getting his gyroid rocket duplicated or a tree.

If someone has a reflector, how about just not trying to fully charge forward smash on them? Uncharged is frame 21 so if you actually use it to make reads and punish it should not get reflected and wont kill you early.

Forward smash isnt safe against anyone so you shouldnt be trying to space with it anyway.

Stoven

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5112-3679-8490
Diddy kong (Zero) won Apex Smash 4 this Year. I know everybody is salty about diddy but The game came out 4 Months ago.

When Melee Came out everybody said Sheik was the best but it turns out that fox was the best.

But We got Evo this year. (Hopefully smash 4 will be at Evo this year)

Edit: Diddy might Be top tier But that doesn't Mean it cant change

Last edited:

Sorichuudo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1977-1410-9227
Diddy kong (Zero) won Apex Smash 4 this Year. I know everybody is salty about diddy but The game came out 4 Months ago.

When Melee Came out everybody said Sheik was the best but it turns out that fox was the best.

But We got Evo this year. (Hopefully smash 4 will be at Evo this year)

Edit: Diddy might Be top tier But that doesn't Mean it cant change
Welp.

Sorry if i'm whining here but, i think the biggest problem is that now the whole "uur this gaem is new brawl not competitive melee HD or RIOT" chant from the trolls is probably going to increase.

EDIT: Yeah, results for the wii u version.

1. ZeRo (Diddy Kong) - $6,022
2. XFIRE Dabuz (Olimar, Rosalina & Luma) - $3,011
3. LLL Mr. R (Sheik, Captain Falcon) - $2,258
4. 6WX (Sonic) - $1,506
5. DtN | Nietono (Sheik) - $753
5. MVG | Mew2King (Diddy Kong) - $753
7. Abadango (Pac-Man) - $376
7. CT | MVD (Duck Hunt, Little Mac) - $376
9. AeroLink (Diddy Kong, Palutena)
9. LoF NAKAT (Fox)
9. Nairo (Pit, Robin)
9. VGBC | aMSa (Greninja)
13. Boreal_Ally (Mario)
13. DA Jtails (Diddy Kong)
13. FALSE (Luigi, Sheik)
13. NinjaLink (Mega Man)

Last edited:

Stoven

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5112-3679-8490
Welp.

Sorry if i'm whining here but, i think the biggest problem is that now the whole "uur this gaem is new brawl not competitive melee HD or RIOT" chant from the trolls is probably going to increase.

EDIT: Yeah, results for the wii u version.

1. ZeRo (Diddy Kong) - $6,022
2. XFIRE Dabuz (Olimar, Rosalina & Luma) - $3,011
3. LLL Mr. R (Sheik, Captain Falcon) - $2,258
4. 6WX (Sonic) - $1,506
5. DtN | Nietono (Sheik) - $753
5. MVG | Mew2King (Diddy Kong) - $753
7. Abadango (Pac-Man) - $376
7. CT | MVD (Duck Hunt, Little Mac) - $376
9. AeroLink (Diddy Kong, Palutena)
9. LoF NAKAT (Fox)
9. Nairo (Pit, Robin)
9. VGBC | aMSa (Greninja)
13. Boreal_Ally (Mario)
13. DA Jtails (Diddy Kong)
13. FALSE (Luigi, Sheik)
13. NinjaLink (Mega Man)
I know right. The twitch chat wanted smash 4 to be over because they want melee but there's also people in the twitch chat who like watching smash 4. Maybe 50% of melee and 50% Smash For the twitch chat, (I also seen people call smash 4 Melee HD and Smash 64 HD, which weird because alot of people say its brawl 2.0)

Blue24

Smash Cadet
Yah! Megaman got in the top 15ish. I personally feel that Megman's stock can only go up because he is a pretty difficult char to master.

ohaiduhg

Smash Lord
Zero won because he reads people and reacts perfectly. The game is still fresh. It does suck to see a Diddy or Sheik on almost every TV, but that is just what people do at a competitive level. People spend money so they play as safe as possible. It really drives the fun out of the game, but when you play to win it is better to play safe than to have fun.

Kiyosuki

Smash Journeyman
ZeRo is arguably one of the only people at this tournament who actually studied Diddy, rather than pick him up at short notice to exmode it up. ZeRo may have won but so many of the others got convincingly destroyed. In other words, he's still good but he's not on this substantially higher level than the others. Even ZeRo himself thinks that Sheik will in the long term be the "best" over Diddy, but anyways as for Mega Man, NinjaLink's match against Abadango was one of the best matches of the entire event imo, and although Aba won it was extremely close. I kind of wish NinjaLink had won instead to see if he could have fared better against Dabuz' Rosalina, although Aba definitely deserved it too.

I think the match, and many others too, showed that MM (and Pac for that matter) have more to look into with further practice.

From now till EVO it's gonna be a pretty pivotal time for this games' meta, but I'm pretty convinced it's going to look pretty different by later this year. At least there's a chance.

Mega Man mains have to get exceptionally better at controlling all aspects of Metal Blade and item play in general, it seems kind of like that's going to be a huge factor in the character's success. Notice too that Leaf footstool wasn't an option that was off the table either.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Megaman has trouble with anyone that can get inside, grab him, and combo him off said grab. /thread

It doesn't mean it'll necessarily be a bad matchup, but it is a good sign.

Megaman has trouble with anyone he can't grab consistently. /second thread

It doesnt' mean it'll necessarily be a bad matchup, but it is a good sign.

Megaman relies on grabs and spam to deal damage. If he can't grab, he rarely will find natural situations to land kill moves easily. Megaman relies on spam and spacing to not get destroyed since he has a huge blind spot below him and a non-threatening fair. If someone can get inside and grab you and then threaten you off that grab, you lose a lot of your control.

If someone can do both (see: Sheik) it's probably an uphill battle.

Everything else can be dealt with.

YELLO

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kyuuketsukou
3DS FC
2509-3654-5979
Whoa, careful, your metal blade is valuable. You know, Villager can pocket the thing and hold it for 30 seconds, which stops Mega Man from being able to spawn another. Then all he has to do is take it out, allowing him to hold it, then put it back in his pocket, refreshing the 30 second timer. He can effectively remove that attack from your moveset until you kill him. Instead, I recommend getting your metal blade in your own hand, and come at him close range with glide toss shenanigans in mind. When you dash at him, blade in hand, he'll assume you'll throw it, and whiff his pocket as you get close.
uhh, villager pocketing a metal blade does not keep megaman from spawning more

Also, Rosalina is not an issue if you play smart and keep your spacing, Rosalina has only one long range attack and she has to charge up for it to gain some actual distance
If she tries to approach from the air, just spam Uair until she gives up

Last edited:

Sorichuudo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1977-1410-9227
Rosalina has only one long range attack and she has to charge up for it to gain some actual distance
About that charge attack where she sends luma to hit you, you can shoot a CB and the insta-explosion will hit her, but careful to not let her get that full charged, cause if she does, luma will just blast trough it and smack you IN THE FACE.

Blue24

Smash Cadet
I actually, love fighting Rosalina and Villager. They are probaly some of my most succesful matches.

mega4000

Smash Journeyman
uhh, villager pocketing a metal blade does not keep megaman from spawning more

Also, Rosalina is not an issue if you play smart and keep your spacing, Rosalina has only one long range attack and she has to charge up for it to gain some actual distance
If she tries to approach from the air, just spam Uair until she gives up
rosalina never approach from the air without using his neutral air by spacing. The star covers everything and you won't be able to punish her with uair.

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
rosalina never approach from the air without using his neutral air by spacing. The star covers everything and you won't be able to punish her with uair.
this is just... not true.
Rosalina's nair has a blind spot directly below her, and luma doesn't cover that area in MOST circumstances. She's actually in danger above Mega Man, with her only good option there being down air. Her downB can catch uair, but even things like usmash work.

I still think the Rosa matchup is slightly in our favor.

MightyJake

Smash Rookie
The fact that Link can block most of Megaman's shots by standing still, makes him really hard to fight against.

Stoven

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5112-3679-8490
The fact that Link can block most of Megaman's shots by standing still, makes him really hard to fight against.
Not really a bad thing tho. If he is running/walking at you (or just standing there doing nothing) you can hit him with almost everything. (MB,Lemons,LS) Also you can throw MB LS and it still hits (I tested See if it works) But not CB

But Link can also Block Fsmash With his Shield

Edit: Sometimes link can block MB with his sheild but its most likely it will hit. ALSO LINK'S SHIELD CAN BLOCK LEMONS IF HES STANDS THERE

(If link can block more stuff please Correct me)

Last edited:

Blue24

Smash Cadet
The only thing that i have found Links to consistently block is F-Smash. Outside of that his shield is not a problem.

Nobie

Smash Champion
NNID
SDShamshel
3DS FC
2809-8958-8223
I think that Jigglypuff is the hardest matchup for Mega Man, in spite of the fact that characters like Rosalina exist.

The main reasons why I think this are that Jigglypuff not only out-maneuvers Mega Man in the air, but even his normal defense against opponents in the form of pellets can be negated with air dodge into aerial, or an aerial that just straight-up eats pellets. Additionally, while Jigglypuff is the lightest character in the game and should be susceptible to up tilt/down smash as a result, that aerial maneuverability means that she can fade away from those hits and punish hard. The best ways to KO Jigglypuff seem to be back throw and timing a back air to hit when she's attacking (and thus unable to air dodge), but that's so incredibly awkward.

In general though, characters who can out-speed Mega Man in the air seem to be a problem. This discounts most of the cast, but also features characters like Yoshi and Game & Watch. Slower characters in the air have a harder time avoiding landing traps and air shooter shenanigans.

Last edited:

ChopperDave

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3007-8077-4055
I think that Jigglypuff is the hardest matchup for Mega Man, in spite of the fact that characters like Rosalina exist.

The main reasons why I think this are that Jigglypuff not only out-maneuvers Mega Man in the air, but even his normal defense against opponents in the form of pellets can be negated with air dodge into aerial, or an aerial that just straight-up eats pellets. Additionally, while Jigglypuff is the lightest character in the game and should be susceptible to up tilt/down smash as a result, that aerial maneuverability means that she can fade away from those hits and punish hard. The best ways to KO Jigglypuff seem to be back throw and timing a back air to hit when she's attacking (and thus unable to air dodge), but that's so incredibly awkward.

In general though, characters who can out-speed Mega Man in the air seem to be a problem. This discounts most of the cast, but also features characters like Yoshi and Game & Watch. Slower characters in the air have a harder time avoiding landing traps and air shooter shenanigans.
Really? I find that hard to believe.

Mega Man is maybe one of the least susceptible characters in the game to Jiggs' Wall of Pain. Retreating pellets and uairs stuff her approaches and avoids punishment if she airdodges through them. The hitstun from Leaf Shield kills her momentum and makes her vulnerable to shield grabs. If Jiggs commits to an aerial attack, dashing back and pivot fsmashing will punish it hard. Utilt can also work as an antiair if we make a read.

Off stage, Mega Man can use Rush to vault over her bair gimps while retaining his double jump, and still air dodge or threaten to hit her if she tries to follow up. Meanwhile, because Jiggs' recovery is so horizontal, Mega Man has a lot of options against her when she's trying to get back to stage, all of which can result in kills.

Also, due to the ranged nature of Mega Man's attacks, Jiggs has a tough time getting Rest and fsmash punishes on us. (Whiffed utilt and crouching under our grabs are her main opportunities.) If she whiffs Rest, we can kill her at around 45% from anywhere on the stage with fully charged dsmash, so that can be a pretty risky move for her to use.

It makes for a pretty boring matchup, but if Mega Man plays defensively he can just keep running away from Jiggs, punishing unsafe aerials with shield grabs, and poking her with retreating pellets, Crash Bombers, bairs, uairs, and fsmashes until she dies. Jiggs' lack of a projectile and limited ground approach options really hurt her in this matchup, IMO.

mega4000

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, we beat Rosalina. It's hard until you get used to it though.

Worst is sheik hands down.
if someone could post a guide on the rosalina matchup I would be very very grateful. I'm not fighting a scrub rosalina, I'm fighting against a pro one and I can beat him but he beats me way more. Almost every post I've read is about how to punish mistakes that a rosalina can avoid. Using retreating nair she will never be above you, also her dash attack is so quick as a punish that if you jump is very difficult to react. You can't punish all her landings if she space correctly and her down tilt or jabs are way to good to protect her from pressure. In the corner she becomes a beast because if you roll she will do dsmash and if you don't she can space you with jabs and go for a grab (Did I mention she can attack and grab at the same time with her dash attack?). Now if she starts to juggle you, theres no way to land safetly without going for the corner, and there she gets the adventage. Lastly, her down b can be very safe if she use it just one or two times and then retreat. That move catch things even after she is done, so even if you try to punish with a grab, she can punish you if you go near after that move.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Get her in the air, use danger wrap, punish her air dodge with u-air. Repeat until at kill %.

mega4000

Smash Journeyman
Get her in the air, use danger wrap, punish her air dodge with u-air. Repeat until at kill %.
I'm gonna quote this along with the can't beat airman song....
(8)If I only could use danger wrap in tournaments, it will beat her short and easy!

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
I actually prefer crash bomb by a significant amount in the matchup, but that may just be preference.

I feel like I've posted a lot on this particular matchup, so I'm going to approach it from reverse.
consider the matchup of Mega Man vs Rosalina without Luma. Rosa seriously has nothing advantageous against Mega Man without the little guy. Mega wins the neutral, the air game, the ground game, and the killing game.

Got that? ok so now your focus should shift to "the goal of this matchup is to remove Luma from play and keep him out of play". I can't believe how many people I see play this matchup without this mentality... and I'm not just talking about Mega mains.

Ok so removing Luma. Mega Man is very good at pushing Rosa backward slowly... even in your post, you mentioned 2 retreating options as good play for her. this is the natural progression of the matchup. you chip away in the neutral and force her back closer to the edge. Once she's there, dtilt, bair (3rd hit), fsmash, dash attack (last hit) all knock Luma off the stage early. dtilt in particular will hit him off the stage at full health, will hit thru shield, rolls, and landings, and will only be punished with a Rosa grab usually.
So I've outlined that Rosa will retreat to the edge fairly often, and Mega has good tools to remove Luma. That gives you 12 seconds of like a 7-3 matchup against SoRo. And to add to the pain, if you learn the timing for Luma coming back, you can bair him before he acts to (potentially) kill him again without Rosa ever being able to use him.
Focus on killing Luma any chance you get and this matchup becomes significantly easier. you can even juggle him with bairs to move him from center to the edge.

Now this story changes a bit if Rosa chooses to separate Luma at the beginning. This does 2 things... (A) it makes Luma easier to hit without fear of punishment from Rosa and (B) it makes Rosa easier to hit without fear of punishment from Luma... honestly take your pick at this point... both are acceptable answers.

In neutral, there's absolutely no reason to not spam Crash Bombs and watch for her to SH Nair over one. Her DownB doesn't hurt us so it's a reset only, and you are training her to downB in the midrange, which will help on a bait later on.

SH pellets work as normal, and stop Luma from hitting you if you shoot him, so that's not terrible. I don't pellet much in this matchup though. Full hop Down45 metal blades are really a win win for you. If they hit, you get a grab or attack (utilt/usmash) followup. If she shields, you can generally get a grab or just bair the back of her shield. If she downB's, you get your choice of attacks.

When edgeguarding her, she has a very adaptable recovery, but it never puts you in danger (as it doesn't hit you) as long as you don't overreach. keep throwing projectiles and fish for landing a bair on her trajectory. If she gets directly below the ledge, dair will end her.
Conversely, she's very good at edgeguarding us. Be adaptive. Go VERY low sometimes. burn your upB first and go VERY high other times. keep mixing it up and try to make her commit, then go another direction.

When you're in the air trying to land, just fade back from her and nair... no need to challenge her shield.

Last edited:

Nobie

Smash Champion
NNID
SDShamshel
3DS FC
2809-8958-8223
Really? I find that hard to believe.

Mega Man is maybe one of the least susceptible characters in the game to Jiggs' Wall of Pain. Retreating pellets and uairs stuff her approaches and avoids punishment if she airdodges through them. The hitstun from Leaf Shield kills her momentum and makes her vulnerable to shield grabs. If Jiggs commits to an aerial attack, dashing back and pivot fsmashing will punish it hard. Utilt can also work as an antiair if we make a read.

Off stage, Mega Man can use Rush to vault over her bair gimps while retaining his double jump, and still air dodge or threaten to hit her if she tries to follow up. Meanwhile, because Jiggs' recovery is so horizontal, Mega Man has a lot of options against her when she's trying to get back to stage, all of which can result in kills.

Also, due to the ranged nature of Mega Man's attacks, Jiggs has a tough time getting Rest and fsmash punishes on us. (Whiffed utilt and crouching under our grabs are her main opportunities.) If she whiffs Rest, we can kill her at around 45% from anywhere on the stage with fully charged dsmash, so that can be a pretty risky move for her to use.

It makes for a pretty boring matchup, but if Mega Man plays defensively he can just keep running away from Jiggs, punishing unsafe aerials with shield grabs, and poking her with retreating pellets, Crash Bombers, bairs, uairs, and fsmashes until she dies. Jiggs' lack of a projectile and limited ground approach options really hurt her in this matchup, IMO.
The reason why I feel Jigglypuff is a major problem is that, as versatile a tool as pellets can be, I've seen over and over again that a single nair or fair will collide with all three pellets, continue forwards, and then hit Mega man in the face. If you shoot a single pellet at max range, even while retreating, Jigglypuff can hop or short hop over and smack Mega Man in the face before he can even shield. I find that the horizontal mobility, combined with the large, long-lasting hitboxes, and the multiple jumps make Jigglypuff simply incredibly difficult to zone.

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
Re Rosa: http://smashboards.com/threads/how-do-you-beat-rosalina-with-mega-man.377742/

Also, general MU has quite a hit on Rosa. Seems like an even MU to me.

For Jiggs, she can out prioritize pellets if she is close enough. Pellet spacing is hard against her, but SH pellets are very good against her about half-pellet distance and further. At that distance, she can out prioritize the pellets but will be falling short of hitting you. Being patient with your shield and taking the opportunities that come to usmash or SH BAir are what I've found key.

Also... We now have 2 threads for MU help. >.> and Apex talk probably could've been done in the social. #justsaying

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I'm gonna quote this along with the can't beat airman song....
(8)If I only could use danger wrap in tournaments, it will beat her short and easy!
Find better TOs, or host 'em yourself!

I like short hop retreating danger wrap as Luma causes the danger wrap to explode -- quickly kills luma and the explosion can hit rosalina as well.

The biggest thing in our favor that I have seen is getting a grab and quick throw. Harder than it sounds though.

YELLO

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kyuuketsukou
3DS FC
2509-3654-5979
We are talking about skilled MegaMan players here who know how to effectively use lemons and air shooter
Jigglypuff has never been an issue for MegaMan, I would say Jigg vs Megaman is in favor for Megaman easily if you can use lemons effectively

Greward

Smash Lord
Rosalina matchup is about cornering her so she can't use down B safely.
Then you barrage some projectiles until you find the grab opening. Quick fthrow her out of the stage and then kill luma with bair when it goes alongside Rosalina. With no Luma rosalina is easy. I'd say this is the basic way to play the matchup.
Yeah I agree on Danger Wrap > Crash bomber in this matchup. And in all matchups probably lol.

YELLO

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kyuuketsukou
3DS FC
2509-3654-5979
its isa carred teh brock button my yong pada-one

mega4000

Smash Journeyman
I actually prefer crash bomb by a significant amount in the matchup, but that may just be preference.

I feel like I've posted a lot on this particular matchup, so I'm going to approach it from reverse.
consider the matchup of Mega Man vs Rosalina without Luma. Rosa seriously has nothing advantageous against Mega Man without the little guy. Mega wins the neutral, the air game, the ground game, and the killing game.

Got that? ok so now your focus should shift to "the goal of this matchup is to remove Luma from play and keep him out of play". I can't believe how many people I see play this matchup without this mentality... and I'm not just talking about Mega mains.

Ok so removing Luma. Mega Man is very good at pushing Rosa backward slowly... even in your post, you mentioned 2 retreating options as good play for her. this is the natural progression of the matchup. you chip away in the neutral and force her back closer to the edge. Once she's there, dtilt, bair (3rd hit), fsmash, dash attack (last hit) all knock Luma off the stage early. dtilt in particular will hit him off the stage at full health, will hit thru shield, rolls, and landings, and will only be punished with a Rosa grab usually.
So I've outlined that Rosa will retreat to the edge fairly often, and Mega has good tools to remove Luma. That gives you 12 seconds of like a 7-3 matchup against SoRo. And to add to the pain, if you learn the timing for Luma coming back, you can bair him before he acts to (potentially) kill him again without Rosa ever being able to use him.
Focus on killing Luma any chance you get and this matchup becomes significantly easier. you can even juggle him with bairs to move him from center to the edge.

Now this story changes a bit if Rosa chooses to separate Luma at the beginning. This does 2 things... (A) it makes Luma easier to hit without fear of punishment from Rosa and (B) it makes Rosa easier to hit without fear of punishment from Luma... honestly take your pick at this point... both are acceptable answers.

In neutral, there's absolutely no reason to not spam Crash Bombs and watch for her to SH Nair over one. Her DownB doesn't hurt us so it's a reset only, and you are training her to downB in the midrange, which will help on a bait later on.

SH pellets work as normal, and stop Luma from hitting you if you shoot him, so that's not terrible. I don't pellet much in this matchup though. Full hop Down45 metal blades are really a win win for you. If they hit, you get a grab or attack (utilt/usmash) followup. If she shields, you can generally get a grab or just bair the back of her shield. If she downB's, you get your choice of attacks.

When edgeguarding her, she has a very adaptable recovery, but it never puts you in danger (as it doesn't hit you) as long as you don't overreach. keep throwing projectiles and fish for landing a bair on her trajectory. If she gets directly below the ledge, dair will end her.
Conversely, she's very good at edgeguarding us. Be adaptive. Go VERY low sometimes. burn your upB first and go VERY high other times. keep mixing it up and try to make her commit, then go another direction.

When you're in the air trying to land, just fade back from her and nair... no need to challenge her shield.
if you kill luma, there is no reason for the rosalina player to not run away, and by rolling and dodging and jumping she can do that without problem because megaman isn't so good to punish rolls and if you miss a roll punish, she can go for the grab and make more time in order to get her star back. Also, the retreating short hop nair is impossible to punish, because she doesn't get lag landing and the star covers everything. If she has you against the edge, before you can react she can choose to go foward with nair and it will punish every action you do except shield, and she don't have to go foward. The down b can be protected by her instant dash attack or the jabs if you jump.

mega4000

Smash Journeyman
Rosalina matchup is about cornering her so she can't use down B safely.
Then you barrage some projectiles until you find the grab opening. Quick fthrow her out of the stage and then kill luma with bair when it goes alongside Rosalina. With no Luma rosalina is easy. I'd say this is the basic way to play the matchup.
Yeah I agree on Danger Wrap > Crash bomber in this matchup. And in all matchups probably lol.
the only punish i can go after a down b only if she is really near is a grab. She can protect her down b, with a dash attack or jabs and you will get lag from your last absorbed projectile.

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
Um. Mega man is VERY good at punishing dodges.
Also RE downB, if she does it at midrange and you don't shoot a crash bomb, you get a free grab or attack. If you fullhop down45 metal blade and she downBs it, you get a free fair at least.

I stand by mega vs SoRo being at least a 7-3, and mega man having good options to remove Luma. Plus, mega isn't bad against her WITH Luma. I really think this makes the match for us

Last edited:

mega4000

Smash Journeyman
Um. Mega man is VERY good at punishing dodges.
Also RE downB, if she does it at midrange and you don't shoot a crash bomb, you get a free grab or attack. If you fullhop down45 metal blade and she downBs it, you get a free fair at least.

I stand by mega vs SoRo being at least a 7-3, and mega man having good options to remove Luma. Plus, mega isn't bad against her WITH Luma. I really think this makes the match for us
How do you punish rolls with megaman? pls don't tell me down smash, because pro players doesn't roll like mad mans and if you miss that, prepare to be destroyed.

ChopperDave

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3007-8077-4055
How do you punish rolls with megaman? pls don't tell me down smash, because pro players doesn't roll like mad mans and if you miss that, prepare to be destroyed.
Let's see. For very safe punishment options, we have:

Short hop nair
Ftilt while walking forward
Dtilt
Metal Blade (great for catching backwards rollers)
Item throw Metal Blade
Z-drop Metal Blade (if rolling behind)

For less safe / hard read options, we have:

Dash attack (if rolling away)
Fsmash (if rolling away)
Usmash (if rolling towards / behind)
Utilt (if rolling toward / behind, great for breaking a shield if it's low)
Dsmash (if rolling toward / behind)

If customs on:
Tornado Hold (if rolling toward / behind)
Ice Slasher (good for same reasons as MB)
Shadow Blade

Seriously, Mega Man has a ton of roll punish options that range from low risk, low reward to high risk, high reward. Roll spam shouldn't be a problem for us.

Last edited:

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
God let me count the ways.

Considering pellets range are larger than a roll length, that's your worst case cover assuming good spacing. Pellets in general are also very good at forcing rolls or jumps.
I'm fond of throwing a metal blade to cover one roll option and aerialing another.
SH retreating fair is an easy safe roll in punish.
Other than that, usmash/utilt are fine on prediction because you can react to the roll and punish, without having to start the attack before she commits.
Bair is useful in a number of ways.
Dub jump dair too.

And don't forget grab. We combo Rosa with dthrow bair at low percents and put her in bad positions at high.

If a mega man player has problems punishing any form of dodging, it's the player's own fault. The char has plenty of tools for it

Last edited:

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
It's not that Mega Man is bad at punishing dodging. Mega Man just requires precision to punish whereas most other characters can punish rolls decently while staying somewhat safe (Mario Dsmash for example). Mega Man is bad at cross ups. Dtilt, pellets, and grabs are probably my go to options when I'm not confident. OoS SH BAir works well too.

And don't forget grab. We combo Rosa with dthrow dair at low percents and put her in bad positions at high.
wat. Also, available for testing.

Greward

Smash Lord
I guess he wanted to say dthrow Bair. Dthrow dair ain't gonna work as a true combo ever lol

Dair as a roll punish is unreliable as ****, tho. But yeah mega man covers rolls easily with pellets if you want safe punish.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Anyone have any Greninja videos / thoughts? The matchup is possible, but very difficult. Greninja can get spaced kill moves and kill punishes and I don't know how to edgeguard him. D:

Top Bottom