• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Worst move in the game. Vote! Maybe Nintendo will listen...

DungeonMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Dalaeck
So another patch, game is still great fun, but there are needless to say moves which in the field, are... less than good. Particularly from a competitive, 1v1 standpoint.

If you wanted to send a message to the developers, and you could only change ONE move in the entire game, what would it be?

I'll start by accumulating opinions, then make a poll of the worst move so it's easy for people to just click and vote, if they're not interested in discussion.
Factor EVERYTHING into your vote, but specifically competitive, 1v1 play and For-Glory 1v1 environment.
That's the point of trying to find the worst move in the game as it currently stands. So falcon punch for instance, while you may not pull it out often, is a real crowd pleaser, and it does in fact kill really well and will always make a highlight reel.

Format for entry:
CHARACTER - MOVE [at a glance reasons]
Discussion

If you don't use the format, and there are many replies, it might not make it into the poll. You only get ONE ENTRY but feel free to discuss other moves of course.

Example:

SAMUS - HOMING MISSILE [ no set ups, no pressure, too much endlag, fails to zone ]
Homing missile is my vote for the worst move in the game. This move is awful, one of the principle reasons if not THE reason Samus is considered low-tier. The homing missile moves at precisely the *wrong* speed with its current startup and endlag which is atrocious.
The endlag on homing missile is so long, that even given Samus' slow fall speed accidental missed input over the edge often means SD. It is not safe on hit, it is not safe on block, at the exact range where you would naively hope this move to help it will instead get you punished, Perhaps 99% of aerials and standing moves chew right through it and will hit Samus, particularly given its awful trajectory and homing properties which allow for no mixup.Those properties mean there is no way to use this move effectively out of a SH or FJ compared to many other projectiles. All of this combined and given the relative movement speeds of the cast means a competent opponent feels no pressure, its ability to zone characters is limited to maybe 2-3 in the entire cast. The smash4 version of this move is a travesty compared to previous iterations.
I honestly believe this move is worse than Din's fire, that would be my runner up. At least Din's fire can kill.
Fix: Slow the missiles speed and/or reduce endlag to provide some setups and an active hitbox within the range where it can effectively zone.

Last edited:

Zelder

Smash Journeyman
Nintendo won't listen, but this could still be a fun little thought experiment until people use it to complain about their mains moves.

Ganondorf - U- tilt [Um, duh?]
Do I really need to explain why Ganondorf's up-tilt is bad? It'll never get fixed because it's iconic and hilarious, but it's not a good move.

Last edited:

MOI-ARI

Smash Ace
NNID
TAISH0U
3DS FC
3523-2502-7558
Please give the hit box and speed from Brawl back to Din's Fire :,( AT LEAST.

I get along fine with the move how it currently is,but i cant help but annoyed and twitch in anger/distgust when Dins blows up in my opponents face and they are unscathed by the flames that surround them! (♯`∧´) Its hit box is just ****ing impossible to sweetspot so why even have one?

Nexin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Nexinitus
Palutena- Forward Tilt

The way this move was designed makes this move more or less useless. The massive number of active frames not only leaves Palutena even more vulnerable than usual on both whiff and shield, but it also means that she is unable to follow up on it if it does hit the opponent, making it a high risk, low reward. Even the few situational uses for the move (such as punishing a baited air dodge after a down throw) are completely invalidated by much better options (using the same example as above: jab, forward smash, and delayed up air are all much better options).

Admittedly, I may be somewhat biased towards Palutena since she is my main, but at the same time I don't think anybody is going to deny that her forward tilt is pretty bad.

NotAnAdmin

Smash Journeyman
Falco's laser are awful, it shouldn't take almost a solid 2 and a half seconds to put away a blaster. Fox needs a lag reduce on his as well, I know they are meant only to force approach, but they are too unsafe. It's not so bas for Fox because he's quick and he actually has good approach options.
Falco is different, he's fast and a character like Capt Falcon is going to rush him down everytime.

Alternatively, I would say all of Palutena's tilts need a fix, I've never seen a character with such awful lag for no reason.

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
I'm actually gonna say Samus' up-smash is a worse move overall because it's so atrociously unreliable. Seriously I don't think I have EVER seen a Samus player in tournament use that move intentionally. It has no redeeming qualities, it doesn't even do a lot of damage. I think the move is broken by design and since up smashes are usually important for most character's kits due to being one of your OOS options etc I am gonna give it to this move.

sleepy_Nex

Smash Journeyman
Palutena ftilt.

The Massive endlag just isn't worth a move that does maybe 6 percent and don't do shield pressure.

Newtonjar

Smash Cadet
Yoshi - Egg roll [way too much comitment for far too little reward, doesn't kill, doesn't set up anything, easy to grab, easy to sheild]
I would say this move is by far the worst special in the game, there is close to no reasons to use it, and to only make matters worse, it can accidentally be used when trying to do the egg throw you can accidentally use this move, which can kill you in some situations. All in all it needs to be fixed with maybe higher knock back or something.

adom4

Smash Lord
NNID
adom15510
3DS FC
3179-6434-6692
Nintendo won't listen, but this could still be a fun little thought experiment until people use it to complain about their mains moves.

Do I really need to explain why Ganondorf's up-tilt is bad? It'll never get fixed because it's iconic and hilarious, but it's not a good move.
It's not THAT bad now, the range is huge, it breaks shields in 1 hit & with good timing it's a relatively safe edgeguarding move due to the low endlag.
I'm actually gonna say Samus' up-smash is a worse move overall because it's so atrociously unreliable. Seriously I don't think I have EVER seen a Samus player in tournament use that move intentionally. It has no redeeming qualities, it doesn't even do a lot of damage. I think the move is broken by design and since up smashes are usually important for most character's kits due to being one of your OOS options etc I am gonna give it to this move.
Her U-smash got buffed in this patch, it got a knockback buff & it actually hits things now.

Last edited:

|RK|

Smash Marketer

It's not the worst move in the game, though. It's meant to be the way it is, and can even find some rare usage on the edge.

No, I think I'd agree with OP on Homing Missile. I just don't see that move being effective at all. Or Samus's usmash.

Last edited:

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
My god Samus what have they done to you. Her U-Smash is just terrible, but her Homing Missile is far worse. However, Palutena's tilts are just horrible, especially Forward Tilt. At least Samus has useful tilts, HER forward tilt is relatively safe and she does not need to use her Homing Missile at all (which is still horrible), Palutena has no tilts or moves in general that are safe on block at all AFAIK.

I think Palutena's Forward Tilt wins the prestigious award for "Worst Move in Smash 4". The runner up is Samus' Homing Missile. I would say Link's Down Tilt was also pretty useless, but it is more usable now due to it's increased speed.

Axel311

Smash Ace
NNID
axel311
I'm biased because I'm a dedede main but I'll say

Dedede's Down B - Jethammer.

It's extremely predictable, takes way too long to fully charge and has horrendous ending lag not to mention meh range. Also you cannot turn, spot dodge, shield or roll while it's charging. I have never seen any of the top Dedede mains use it. It really doesn't have any strategic purpose in my opinion aside from trolling. It's one of those moves that you never ever use in a serious match.

Last edited:

Infinite901

Smash Ace
NNID
Infinite901
3DS FC
3282-4624-0341
Sing. I'm not biased I swear

**** range, terrible hitboxes (actually works in 3 waves, it's not just a lasting thing) atrocious end-lag, unless your opponent is at ludicrous percents they will usually wake up before you even finish the animation, leaves you wide open, has no setups, doesn't affect opponents in the air, I have never used Sing in a serious fight.

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
I'm biased because I'm a dedede main but I'll say

Dedede's Down B - Jethammer.

It's extremely predictable, takes way too long to fully charge and has horrendous ending lag not to mention meh range. Also you cannot turn, spot dodge, shield or roll while it's charging. I have never seen any of the top Dedede mains use it. It really doesn't have any strategic purpose in my opinion aside from trolling. It's one of those moves that you never ever use in a serious match.
Nitpick, you can turn with it. But it's mostly bad and really only good for punishing shieldbreaks.

Metal Fish

Smash Rookie
Jiggylypuff - Up special, Sing.

No contest. Consider the character that has your pick for worst move, then replace it with Sing and ask yourself if the character really got better.

Last edited:

Metal Fish

Smash Rookie
Have you seen Samus's 1.0.8 version Up-Smash? It kills at roughly the same percent as a mid-stage Charge Shot, and characters don't fall out anymore.

Linq

Smash Cadet
NNID
LegendOfLinq
3DS FC
4639-8962-6197
Zelda's Up-smash. Yeah, they buffed it in the most recent patch to kill much earlier (now it almost kills as early as her fitilt, PogChamp), but that only affects things the 1/4th of the time that the person you somehow manage to hit with its tiny hitbox doesn't subsequently fall out before the final hit connects. This move should only be used to disrespect your opponent or to try to land a kill when you're at least two stocks ahead.

Marrow

Speak softly and carry a Thick Club
3DS FC
1993-9950-1450
Yoshi's Egg Roll [slow as hell, start/endlag, hits like a limp noodle]

It does next to no damage, moves not that much faster than Yoshi's normal movement options, no follow-ups, and doesn't even provide recovery like it did in Melee. You're not put into special fall but it's still pretty much being helpless. The only potential use is the Egg Drop (short hop jumpy-outy edgeguard thing), and that was unintended and likely going to be patched out somehow.

DungeonMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Dalaeck
Some good entrants. 50 character roster, I often forget what some people are struggling with. I'll start the poll up Monday and we'll see what wins the race to the bottom.
Not surprisingly most of the "worst" moves correlate with the innumerable "tier lists" that are bandied about.

Some comments:
Sing - This move should by design be easier to land than rest and allow for those higher percent kills when jiggs is just struggling to get the kill. It's currently failing at that role because the mashout % is too high as well as hitbox placement inane. Fix would be to drop that %.
D3 Jethammer - This is a mobile even aerial smash attack, so it can't be as strong as his regular smash necessarily. Fix I think would be to give it better base knockback, the power discrepancy between it and D3's other moves is too large.
Palutena's f-tilt - Risk/reward is the major problem here, if it did 15 damage, no one would complain and people would actually watch out for it. Palutena's lack of effective tilts means she relies on smashes for damage which is a recipe for struggling to kill and just bad design.

ClinkStryphart

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ClinkStryphart
3DS FC
1891-1406-8889
I sort of wish that they would give DDD a better down air and back air tbh. Really slow and really hard to hit. besides that I agree with the JetHammer.

salaboB

Smash Champion
I vote for Samus' fair. While her usmash got buffed so it keeps people in it, her fair is horrifying hard to hit anything with more than a couple times and completely useless against anyone grounded because it cuts off so early (And leaves her with massive lag after that)

DungeonMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Dalaeck
I vote for Samus' fair. While her usmash got buffed so it keeps people in it, her fair is horrifying hard to hit anything with more than a couple times and completely useless against anyone grounded because it cuts off so early (And leaves her with massive lag after that)
Actually salaboB there is a technique to get all the hits from the fair very consistently (like 99% of the time). As soon as you connect, you basically do a half circle downwards and towards the back, i.e. offensive DI within the move.
F-air true combos into itself and the landing lag can be mitigated with a few advanced techniques like bomb/stage/platform cancelling allowing true combos out of it. Hey I wouldn't mind seeing it buffed to work out of a short-hop. In this case though I think you're just not familiar enough with the move, please check out the Samus compendium and combo threads.

Last edited:

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
Jiggylypuff - Up special, Sing.

No contest. Consider the character that has your pick for worst move, then replace it with Sing and ask yourself if the character really got better.
Sing customs are actually arguably worse, which is just cruel of Sakurai.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
A stealth "buff Samus" topic I see. :p It's definitely sing, if not it's customs.

The problem with pointing out individual moves is that there's often intentionally bad moves for balance. For example, ZSS's tether being god-awful as all tethers are or Little Mac's aerials. Talking away/neutering one option for a different/better option is what creates interesting character designs. A worst move will always exist, it has to.

salaboB

Smash Champion
Actually salaboB there is a technique to get all the hits from the fair very consistently (like 99% of the time). As soon as you connect, you basically do a half circle downwards and towards the back, i.e. offensive DI within the move.
F-air true combos into itself and the landing lag can be mitigated with a few advanced techniques like bomb/stage/platform cancelling allowing true combos out of it. Hey I wouldn't mind seeing it buffed to work out of a short-hop. In this case though I think you're just not familiar enough with the move, please check out the Samus compendium and combo threads.
It not comboing sanely in the air is only half its problem, it still doesn't hit even relatively tall characters if they're grounded because Samus aborts too high in the air.

I've gotten more use from homing missiles than I ever can get out of the fair.

Especially with the nair nerf compared to what she had in prior games, I'm left using dair to try to hit someone on the ground in front of me because I just have nothing else. (Ideally I'm facing away and can bair, but things don't always line up that way)

Edit: Course, I'm biased because I'm a pretty ugh Samus player, but I really can't see homing missiles as either her worst move or the real flaw in her kit.

Last edited:

CrazyPerson

Smash Journeyman
Going to go with the obvious...

Captian Falcon: Falcon Punch

Lot of start up lag, lots of ending lag... unless this is going to be a really early kill move it doesn't have a use beyond showing off... but I am unsure how to fix it as Falcon does not need another KO move.(Though let's be clear he doe not need any nerfs either.)

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
A stealth "buff Samus" topic I see. :p It's definitely sing, if not it's customs.
The problem with pointing out individual moves is that there's often intentionally bad moves for balance. For example, ZSS's tether being god-awful as all tethers are or Little Mac's aerials. Talking away/neutering one option for a different/better option is what creates interesting character designs. A worst move will always exist, it has to.
Sing is still kinda dumb though. I mean, it doesn't have to be a recovery, but it could be better...

FP-Takyon

Smash Apprentice
Going to go with the obvious...

Captian Falcon: Falcon Punch

Lot of start up lag, lots of ending lag... unless this is going to be a really early kill move it doesn't have a use beyond showing off... but I am unsure how to fix it as Falcon does not need another KO move.(Though let's be clear he doe not need any nerfs either.)
yeah, it's only really there for style. it can kill at pretty crazy low percents tho from my experience, and throwing one out unexpectedly can catch your opponent slipping. there are almost always better options.

Sing's just a joke move for the joke character. Fixing it would make it not Sing anymore, yaknow? Jigglypuff isn't especially hurt by being stuck with it either, so I really don't think it's a problem.
I don't even main jiggs and I'm really baffled by this whole "joke character" nonsense lmao

closest thing we got to a joke character was pichu. jiggs is fine.

Last edited:

salaboB

Smash Champion

Samus in particular is a bit of a mess, though. Her weak moves aren't just flavorfully weak (eg Little Mac having weak aerials, or even Sing -- sure it's weak, but it's meant to be weak) and end up in this really awkward place where it's hard to identify what she's meant to do once someone gets anywhere closer than far range (And even there, her projectiles are trivially dealt with and so long cooldown between shots that she's not a significant threat)

The result of this is that when Samus has a bad move, it's _really_ bad -- both weak and just doesn't work. Though fair's problem may just boil down to "Can't be used effectively on approach" as it can combo if you catch someone airborne with it. Really she probably needs multiple tweaks and not adjustments to just one move, so this isn't the right topic for it :p.

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Samus in particular is a bit of a mess, though. Her weak moves aren't just flavorfully weak (eg Little Mac having weak aerials, or even Sing -- sure it's weak, but it's meant to be weak) and end up in this really awkward place where it's hard to identify what she's meant to do once someone gets anywhere closer than far range (And even there, her projectiles are trivially dealt with and so long cooldown between shots that she's not a significant threat)

The result of this is that when Samus has a bad move, it's _really_ bad. Though fair's problem may just boil down to "Can't be used effectively on approach" as it can combo if you catch someone airborne with it.
She's balanced for FFAs. She's supposed to avoid fights and lob in Charge Shots for KOs, and she does it well.

David Wonn

Smash Ace
Are custom moves allowed for consideration? There are several that I just can't see myself using even in solo modes of the game.

[...]

closest thing we got to a joke character was pichu. jiggs is fine.
Pichu may have been close, but Melee Kirby actually was a stand-up comic. No joke, er, wait a minute...

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
About half of Greninja's moves. I know there's another bad one too, but I can't think of it.

Jigglypuff's up special - Sing (it should be obvious why)
This shouldn't be up special, I think it should become down special or be scrapped completely.
Also, Rest makes more sense as a taunt.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
I'm gonna write what I know and give this one to Bowser Jr.'s Clown Cannon. It just has absolutely no practical applications. It has horrible lag on both ends, the cannon ball is super slow and weak and doesn't even reach halfway across FD uncharged, it gets stopped if a feather lands on it, it can actually push you off the ledge if you use it at the ledge, which puts you at a very obvious disadvantage there, and you have to spend 2 whole seconds charging it for the move to be remotely effectual, and that's only if it hits. Its only real use is for edgeguarding, and Bowsy has way better tools for that. Probably the worst projectile in the game IMO (ruling out any customs, since I don't know much about those), and if not, then it's certainly gotta be close. Too much commitment for practically nonexistent reward. At least the likes of Sing, Ganon's Up-Tilt, and Jet Hammer can be used for ledge trolling, while the Cannon is just completely outclassed for what it is good at by Bowser Jr.'s overall edgeguarding prowess.

Last edited:

Axel311

Smash Ace
NNID
axel311
I sort of wish that they would give DDD a better down air and back air tbh. Really slow and really hard to hit. besides that I agree with the JetHammer.
Nitpick, you can turn with it. But it's mostly bad and really only good for punishing shieldbreaks.
Oops you're right. Yeah it is good for shieldbreaks if the opponent is at a low percent. Otherwise just go fully charged Fsmash for the KO.

Top Bottom