• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Would u buy Brawl even if it has no online?? I certainly wouldnt. read b4 post

Azelf

Smash Cadet
There is no way that an environment can be propagated online that will allow for real competitive play. The lag would be insurmountable. I think online will be a complete waste of time. I'd rather they spent that time adding new features instead, since the online component is doomed to failure as far as i'm concerned.
Quoted for truth.

Let me say this - I'm buying Super Smash Brawl whether or not there will be online play, like many others. Online gameplay may work for turn-based games like Pokemon, but the lag would kill the game and quite frankly, there's no way to implement it properly without running that risk.

Modest_Egoist

Smash Journeyman
CT's worst Peach. Float Cancelling... what's that?
The only way you the lag would be insurmaountable is if you have a bad/slow internet connection or your opponent does. If your connection is good, then all you have to do is make sure your opponent also has a good connection (four stars). If you still have dial-up, then of course online is going to suck. But that's not Nintendo's problem, that's yours.

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
OK, so I just barely played Mario Strikers Charged today. I played several online matches, and I must say that I am impressed with the smoothness of play overall. It did surpass my expectations. However, the periodic lag spikes were still enough to worry me about playing Brawl online. It wasn't so much a big deal in Strikers because much of the gameplay involves running in a straight line toward the loose ball. There were no combos that required precise timing, so I can confidently say that Strikers' online play is a bad comparison to how Brawl will play out.

The big lag spikes were scary. Again, since I was only playing Strikers, I would simply keep my control stick pointed toward the ball (or keep my button held down for a shot charge). However, I shuddered to imagine how I would deal with the big lag spikes if I were in the middle of a SHFFL. I guarantee it would be ruined because I would be unable to predict when to L-cancel.

Overall, I do have a brighter outlook on Brawl online. I will give it a try and have fun with it, but I remain unconvinced that online play will drastically increase my playing ability (though it will definitely beat out playing CPU opponents... but I have a wife smasher ^_^ ).

I know, u must be thinking "how can u say it would be pointless???" well, yes, and here are my reasons.

First of all, ive read a lot of comments about how brawl could suck, well, i dont think thats gonna happen, im sure its gonna be an awesome game.

Now, whats the best thing about smash?? playing with a lot of people!! when melee came out, maybe we played it alone, beating all the events, and mastering a character, etc, but the truth is that the real fun is gathering with friends and play, isnt it?

So, playing with friends is a lot of fun, playing in tournaments is great, fighting to prove whos the best, and what would be better than being able to play with every single smash player around the world? getting the chance to play with people that, if there was no online, u would never get a chance to play with. and well, obviously, getting the chance to play with the best smash players, and fight not to win a local tournament, but to be within the very best players of the whole world

I guess i made my point about how cool would online be XD

Now, let me ask somethin, how many of u have friends who have melee?? i bet every single one of u know at least one person who owns it... but most likely A LOT of ur friends have it

Well, i also have a lot of friends who have it, and all of them plan to buy brawl when it comes out. So why would i want a game that a lot of friends will have? because of online play!! Fight with good players worldwide, improve records and win battle to be one of the best players, or just play for fun and make friends, and yet, i will still get togheter with my friends to play

If there is no online i could just play with them... so, if everyone has it, why do i want it?? cause, as i first said, im sure brawl is gonna be a great game, lot of game modes and stuff, but in the end, what we all keep playing, is free for all with our friends

Same thing with melee, everyone has it but if u think about it, is not really neccesary, cause im sure that most of u rarely play it by urself, so what u really need is a controller to go and play it with someone else

I know some of u wanna buy it to play the new modes or collect all the new thropies, and yes, i wanna do it too, but if there is no online, i rather just borrow the game and play it

I dont have a Wii, i would buy one just for Brawl, and i would only buy Brawl for online play

So there u go, thats why i think online is a must to make it worth my money, and im sure that Nintendo knows how important online play is nowadays, even more talkin about a game such as Brawl!! but since absolutely nothin has been told about online im still praying for it to be included

Do anyone else feels like me? Please comment, maybe u can make me change my mind... or maybe ill get a lot of people to not buy it haha but what i really hope is that online is announced soon and close this thread ;)
Online play won't replace mainstream play, and I doubt you would play any professional or semi-decent player considering the fact that lag will be an inevitable occurrence. Frame based timing is a key element in competative Smash, therefore, online will ba abandoned.

If you want to get good and become known, go to tournaments regularly. Becoming good in a game isn't a task that can be achieved at your convinence.

And of all games you buy, why wouldn't you buy Smash Bros.? Considering that it's been 6 years AND it's Smash, I would actually buy it even if I didn't have a Wii.

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
@Buzz: I know that Strikers and Brawl will play differently. However, when I play Strikers online with a four star opponent, it plays just as if the person were playing right beside me. There was no lag to speak of at all. Just the luck of the draw I guess...
You have a better connection than I do. My lag wasn't too bad, but it definitely lowered my hopes for Brawl. Like I said, there will be many out there (like yourself) who have dependable connections.

Charzendat

Smash Apprentice
Strikers lag is quite random. Sometimes you can log in fast, setup a connection within seconds and play three whole games in a series without a single drop in frame rate. However other times you will be kicked out of teh lobby, loose connection mid-way or have a real jumpy game.

The thing is Smash won't learn from these problems with Strikers because they are made by completely different guys. Both are made by Nintendo 2nd party people. Hopefully they would of gotten together for a chat so Sakurai and his team can learn what Strikers did and improve on it.

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
Let's just leave it at this: if I play online and win a lot then I'll like it. If not, I'll hate it. Fair enough? :chuckle:

Top Bottom