• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Legend of Zelda Would you play an enhanced remake of LoZ?

MattV1

Smash Apprentice
I'm talking something that could pass for a WiiWare title, maybe even say... Legend of Zelda: ReBirth?

I don't think there's any doubt that the ReBirth series of games developed by M2 have been smash hits. Contra and Castlevania in particular were received very well. They were throwbacks to a simpler time, and those two games are worth the $20 combined cost.

Now I ask? How would you feel if they did a sort of "remake" of the original Legend of Zelda?

Let's just have fun for a moment, and imagine I'm leading that development team. What would I do to make the game worth it? For starters, enhance the graphics. Even BS Zelda looked great, and that was 16-bit era. We could go above and beyond that. Something that like... the DS could handle, maybe even slightly better. After making the scenery look better, why not improve the music? Upgrade that old 8-bit series of beeps with a nice rendition of the classic overworld theme. Maybe give each dungeon it's own theme, but save a remastered version of the classic underworld theme for Level 9.

There needs to be more than cosmetic changes though. There's no denying that the original LoZ has not aged well. It's a fact. I love the original LoZ; I own the original cartridge (but no working NES ;_;), the GBA port, and I have it for VC. Link's movements are choppy to say the least. Fix that, give him the standard 8-directional movement, maybe add in rolling to help out in those tight spots. Of course, I'd keep the "glitch" where you can stab one way, quickly change directions and stab in that direction, only hitting A once.

After that I'd probably fix the Save function. Maybe one would say doing so would be "casualizing" the game, but let's be honest, it's annoying as all Hell when you save and get sent back to the first screen. Even more annoying to die in the middle of a dungeon, hit "Retry", and still wind up at the start game. Fix that, make it possible to save anywhere (or, maybe just on the Overworld). When you die, you get three options: Continue, Save & Continue, Save & Quit. Continue starts you right at the dungeon again, or brings you back to the first screen on the overworld (based on where you died). And Quitting out would still return you to the dungeon later on.

These are all just simple ideas, but tell me, would you pay for that? Something as simple as a Legend of Zelda remake would easily pass for WiiWare, it's not even something Nintendo EAD would have to make (looking in your direction, M2).

Comments, complaints?
What ideas might you have?

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Um. The answer is yes. A most definite yes. Basically, I still love all the LoZ games even with their lamer graphics, so playing them with updated ones (much like Pokemon HeartGold) would be bliss.

-Terywj

finalark

SNORLAX
I'd be interested, just so long as it's more of a throw back to classic Zelda (closer to ALTTP) rather than a direct remake. Zelda III, perhaps...?

Alzi

Smash Master
They need to make a collectors edition disc with all the games on it up to date before zelda wii comes out. :p

Phantom7

Banned via Warnings
I think Nintendo should remake OoT and MM into one Wii game, that includes a Quest A (OoT) and a Quest B (MM). When you defeat Ganon, your quest log automatically splits into a separate file, in which you begin MM and the events between the game (i.e. going back to Zelda, getting Epona again, beginning the Navi search). And it keeps your OoT data so you can go back and do side quests, etc.

That would be freaking epiq (yes, I spelled "epic" like "epiq" intentionally, and that's how I'm going to do it from now on).

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
I'd actually prefer to play them with the crappy graphics and bleeps, nostalgia ftw.
Yeah, but realize that many gamers never played the older games in the series and going back and trying those without the veil of nostalgia...well, let's say these people are in for disappointment. An enhanced remake would bring tons of fans to the series, and draw attention to the brilliance of the original game without the archaic gameplay.

Spire

III
BRoomer
In response to the OP: just gonna say yes.

If Nintendo remade LoZ and AoL (with ALttP and LA having less priority), they could retcon the games to fit with the evolved series. Even just the first two would be worth it because of how distanced they are from the rest of the franchise. OoT was designed as the beginning of the series and because so much has been based on its foundations since then, it would make perfect sense for Nintendo to retcon their "classics" to essentially void the original LoZ, AoL, ALttP, and LA from canon, thus making OoT the first canonical game. I look at the series as I do Roman history:

LoZ/AoL, ALttP, LA = pre-empire
OoT = Gaius Julius Caesar Augustus (Augustus), first Emperor of Rome, started the Julio-Claudian Dynasty and became known as the first Great Emperor of Rome.
MM = Tiberius Julius Caesar Augustus (Tiberius), second Emperor of Rome
OoX–ST = The rest of the Julio-Claudian Emperors
ZWii = Titus Flavius Vespasianus (Vespasian), started the Flavian Dynasty and became known as the second Great Emperor of Rome.

Scott!

Smash Lord
Concerning the OP, I could definitely support something like this. The original game could stand a few updates in the technical area.

I think Nintendo should remake OoT and MM into one Wii game, that includes a Quest A (OoT) and a Quest B (MM). When you defeat Ganon, your quest log automatically splits into a separate file, in which you begin MM and the events between the game (i.e. going back to Zelda, getting Epona again, beginning the Navi search). And it keeps your OoT data so you can go back and do side quests, etc.
At first I rejected this because it's slightly different and I resist change and stuff, but it's actually not half-bad. Having the two worlds both open in one file to young Link would be interesting, especially since he'd be able to return with adult items like the hookshot, as well as interact with everyone with all of his masks. But then there are other questions that would need tackling. Would the 3-day cycle affect Hyrule? So it would be tricky to work out. But interesting.

That would be freaking epiq (yes, I spelled "epic" like "epiq" intentionally, and that's how I'm going to do it from now on).
Please never do this again. It hurts my soul a little.

MattV1

Smash Apprentice
In response to Spire

I would just view a remake of LoZ as the same story. I know I mention the series a lot, but this is in a similar vein to what Super Castlevania IV did to the original game. It's essentially the same game, however there are some minor inconsistencies, but when refereeing to overall Castlevania chronology, both Castlevania I and Super Castlevania can be used to cite that frame of time. While and LoZ "remake" would never have to blantantly call itself a remake, it's one of those things that would have been the clear intent. The same, basic story, although some things are different. As you said, these minor differences could be made to try and branch LoZ with the rest of the series, specifically the newer games. Maybe name more regions. Sure, we have the Lost Woods and Death Mountain, but what else? Maybe name the big lake in the middle Lake Hylia? Maybe alter the overworld so it looks more like traditional Hyrule?

There's a lot that could be done.

Miamisportsfan45

Smash Lord
I'm not going to try to give a long response; trying to keep this short. But... I mean, the way LoZ has taken off since it's original launch. Is a lot like Metroid in a way. It's just Nintendo for ya. But if they remade it with the same storylines with a few changes here and there and up-to-date graphics, then yes. I'd be all for it.

Although, I'm not a large fan of WiiWare.

Phantom7

Banned via Warnings
At first I rejected this because it's slightly different and I resist change and stuff, but it's actually not half-bad. Having the two worlds both open in one file to young Link would be interesting, especially since he'd be able to return with adult items like the hookshot, as well as interact with everyone with all of his masks. But then there are other questions that would need tackling. Would the 3-day cycle affect Hyrule? So it would be tricky to work out. But interesting.
No, it wouldn't. It would basically be the same games, only on one disc, and Termina and Hyrule are saved in two different quest logs. So just like the original games, the 3-day cycle only affects Termina. But about returning to Hyrule from Termina... I don't know. We would leave that up to Nintendo. I would love to have that, but it could interfere with the story too much. There may be a specific way Link returns to Hyrule (I have a feeling ZWii may have to do with this).

Please never do this again. It hurts my soul a little.
:chuckle: On the contrary, it completes mine.

Top Bottom