• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Would you play your best character in a 40/60 fight or a secondary in a 60/40?

plasmatorture

Smash Journeyman
Would switch to a secondary in a heartbeat. Then again, while I don't actually play random anymore, I'm still in main-less land (leaning towards Kirby and Fox, note I'm a Brawl+ exclusive player now).

:034:

Smash Hero
Having a 40/60 disadvantage is honestly nothing for Ganondorf, so I'd stick with my main.

Maniclysane

Smash Lord
I would go with my secondary. Most of the (few) bad matchups Olimar has are **** matchups. I'd use Jiggly in whatever match she has the advantage in, but she really doesn't have any. :(

Jimnymebob

Smash Champion
NNID
Jimnymebob
Depends on the skill of the player.
If I was facing a really good player, I'd use my main because I know more about him.
If the player was the same level as me (awesome :p) then I may try my secondary.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
I would play my main regardless of match up.

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
My main is Captain Falcon. I will always stick by my main. With that said, if there's money riding on the table, I'd have to with Falco or Snake.

BigLøu

Smash Lord
Really depends on how comfortable I am with the matchup. Even if my secondary would have a 60:40 advantage, maybe its just not a matchup I like fighting.

Rudra

Smash Ace
That would depend on my opponent and the matchup itself. If my opponent is skilled and picks a character that can absolutly **** my character (Fox vs Pika/DK vs D3 ect) I would switch...however, if the opposite is true, or if they're along my level, I'd stick with my main to try and figure out the matchup.

Of course, I sometimes don't listen to that "rule" and go "jumping into the fire" anyways. :)

Deoxys

Smash Lord
Well, my best character is MK, and I don't know who my second best is but I'm WAAAAY better with MK than any other character since I basically only play him, so I'll stick with MK always.

Don't listen to DKKountry; he doesn't know what he's talking about. There are multiple counterpicks on which MK goes 40/60 or worse against certain characters.

Tamoo

Smash Master
If it were a best of 3 set, i would pick my main first to test the matchup, then, if if that fails, I will then pick my secondary. If my main wins, I would continue using my main as long as the counterpick stage doesnt seriously hinder me.
In a best of one, I have consistently used my main in any matchup, switching to my secondary if i am through pools or sumthing.

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
Depends on if I'm comfortable with the match up. If I know the match up well, I'm sticking with my main. If I'm inexperienced with it, I'll shoot for the advantageous secondary.

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
Depending on the match-up ill pick between my main and secondaries, but I only have two match-ups that are like 60-40, and my secondaries countered that.

Roxas215

Smash Lord
I use diddy no matter what the matchup is. Unless it's against luigi. Then i switch to zss. Seriously everything that makes diddy diddy luigi just gives a big pimp hand to and says no.

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
That would depend on my opponent and the matchup itself. If my opponent is skilled and picks a character that can absolutly **** my character (Fox vs Pika/DK vs D3 ect) I would switch...however, if the opposite is true, or if they're along my level, I'd stick with my main to try and figure out the matchup.

Of course, I sometimes don't listen to that "rule" and go "jumping into the fire" anyways. :)
If it would be fox vs pika or DK vs D3, it wouldn't be 60/40 but instead 80-20

-:bowser:Bowser King

FlipX

Smash Ace
40/60 isn't really a bad match-up. It depends on how good your 2ndary is. Mine is very close to my main so I switch even during slight disadvantagous match-ups. However if you think that the 10% advantage you get from your secondary wont help then you obviously should stay with your main.

•Col•

Smash Champion
I'd probably choose whatever character I have more matchup experience against my opponent's character.

L2theZ

Smash Cadet
Depends on a number of factors. What stage we're on, as well as who got the choose the stage via the standard tournament rule set.

You have to take all of that into consideration.

supermario27mx

Smash Ace
been there, done that, I have played used Pikachu against Marths (75/25) and G&Ws (70/30) pika's worst matchups and won. 60/40 isnt that bad. btw Pika and Kirby practically have the same matchups so yeah...
GROW A PAIR AND STICK TO YOUR GUNS!

edited for spelling

Mith_

Smash Champion
Rafael, your threads always provoke thought. I like that about you.

Unfortunately, DK's matchups are either real good or bad, so I'd prolly switch.

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
Nothing Ike has goes past 30:70 at maximum so I just tough it out and play my best.

40:60 just requires a minimal amount more skill, it still has little to do with the characters itself.

Something like DK v D3 or Fox versus Pikachu is just stupid to keep DK or Fox in on, however.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
Umm...this is assuming that your secondary is actually nearly as good as your main right (I mean seriously, how can you call it a secondary if you're not confident with them?)

I'd switch to my secondary immediately. That's what he's there for and shouldn't be too far behind my main proficiency-wise.

Top Bottom