• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

WTON - September 12th & 13th - Winona Lake, Indiana ))Midwest Circuit Event((

Kyari

Smash Lord
Slippi.gg
KYRI#103
What is the friggin date to this? I've seen like 20 dates, is the official date September 13th, or September 6th? I need to request off of work according to the date so yeah.

Count

Smash Champion
What time does this start? I have a saturday morning class at the beginning of school from 9-12 that I cannot miss. Sorry if this is a 'noob' question, if I go this would be my first tournament.

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
The official date is the 13th. Jekyll, no johns this time, you gotta come! We didn't have any ganons this weekend at all!

Vayseth

Smash Master
What time does this start? I have a saturday morning class at the beginning of school from 9-12 that I cannot miss. Sorry if this is a 'noob' question, if I go this would be my first tournament.
Usually stuff like this starts at 1 or 2. But that is usually doubles. Singles doesn't start until around 5ish maybe? If you were just interested in singles, you'd be fine. Doubles might be a stretch.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
This is like the best venue ever and it has been posted months in advance.

EVERYONE SET ASIDE MONEY FOR THIS SO THERE ARE ZERO JOHNS.

Teebs

Smash Champion
NNID
Teebs-kun
The hours of plans have been updated in the first post.

And yes, do save up your $$$!

What is the friggin date to this? I've seen like 20 dates, is the official date September 13th, or September 6th? I need to request off of work according to the date so yeah.
Please say 13th....Please say 13th.

The official date is September 13th! NO MORE CHANGES, I PROMISE!

Izmo

Smash Cadet
My job at the library, amongst other things, is to organize and run a gaming tournament series called Save Point (Final Fantasy ftw). It's been restricted to anyone who's in 6th to 12th grade so far, since all our Wiis and games and such were purchased using money allocated for our Teen budget.

We have other non-teen events as well, and I'm still unsure what I'll get to do this season in terms of lifting age restrictions, but it's been primarily a Smash tournament scene for anyone High School and below for over a year and a half now. I used to hold Smashfests at my place afterward so anyone could come, but interest in that seems to have died out for the most part :(

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Definitely count me in, since, once again, I live 1 minute down the street. Literally. ;)

I also may bring the TV again, though it annoys my family. Probably not my wii though. And I'm up for melee friendlies, so I can see what competitive melee is about (I've been playing compewter players since n64 -.- )

Oh, I forgot to mention that I'll be back with a vengeance from SaC2 >=( Don't expect me to go easy on you guys this time.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
yay, an Ike player! So we'll have at least one Kirby and Ike :D

By the way, I don't think I'll be doing teams, unless anyone wants to team with me. Since I have noone to team with. >_> yeah

Teebs

Smash Champion
NNID
Teebs-kun
BTW folks, if you were not at Rofa's or were at Rofa's and not listening to Vayseth mention WTON, then I got a poll question to throw out:

Would you guys be willing to pay a higher venue fee for an extra day of smash and other great fun?

Post thoughts now!

Kel

Smash Master
Everyone that went to Rofa's should also attend this! No one is dominating in points so it's still anyone's game to win the prize pot at the end!

Bring car-fulls of people. In Cincinnati alone we can find 2 cars worth of people to travel 4+ hours for tournaments. I'm sure there are competitive smashers around you that want to play. This applies to MI specifically because I know there are a bunch of people up there that don't travel. South Bend/ Warsaw isn't too far guys! Hanging out with everyone and playing smash is awesome.

BlueBlade, you may want to add in details about the extra days. Would teams/ singles be split? Because having doubles on Friday at SAC2 wasn't too popular. Would it be Friday/ Saturday with a Friday side tournament (like Rofa's)?

I'm personally down for anything, seeing as I have a job and all haha. Most smashers seem strapped for money though.

Blood_Hawk

Smash Lord
We'll see what happens. I have the same position on the matter as Kel. I have a job and all that, so I don't really care. I guess we can do whatever will bring in more people. I want this thing to have as good a turnout as Rofa's, if not better. If a bigger venue fee will make people john out then I am good with a 1 day thing. If people want a Smash Fest before and all that, I'm cool with that too.

Just let us know what interests you the most.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
If you want two days, I would suggest having a smashfest + side tournament the day before.

However, a lot of mean people like to show up to the side tournament, play, get owned, and then leave the next day.

To prevent this, there are two things you can do:

1. Hold an odd side tournament

Random tournament, Ironman tournament, Choosing your opponent's character tournament (SamuraiPanda has a great way to do this), things like that. Most people don't consider this a "real" tournament, and a $1 or $5 entry fee allows this to be fun but not bank-breaking. It gives incentive to come, gives people something to do, but doesn't scare off too many people or empty their wallets.

2. Make people pay for events up front

Just tell them that, in order to have housing, they need to go ahead and sign up for their events for the Saturday tournament. Everyone going there should have the money in advance, so just let them know they will have to pay upfront if they want to stay the night. This way, if they decide to leave they do so leaving their entry fee for doubles and/or singles behind them; most people wouldn't want to waste their money, and if they DO, it still goes in the pot. Good for the players that tough it out!

Of course, if someone's family member goes to the hospital or something you should give them a refund, but this also works.

If I may make a suggestion.... Use circuit points for doubles seeding. Kel, once he gets the bracket from VBoy, should be able to help you with that. This way, doubles won't need pools and can be started right away. This will still give us time for standard singles pools as well as not ending at 4 in the morning.

aquteen

Smash Ace
Cool. I'll try getting there along with several other people from St. Louis

Edit: Will it be okay if I use a Wii that has ONLY the "No Tripping" code enabled in the tournament?
who would have a problem with that code being on?........

Teebs

Smash Champion
NNID
Teebs-kun
Are you coming lain? You better be...

EDIT: Oh yeah, no "no tripping" Wii. It's part of the game, as pointless may it be.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I would also have a problem with the no tripping code being on. I'd probably break that kid's Wii and then set him on fire for being an idiot.

MachinegunNorm

Smash Lord
well the only reason it would be a problem is that it would be the only one with it and since its a tournament, everything needs to be the same even if that means having tripping.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
everyone goooooo
YOU! I'm winning my $2 back.
big post.
And YOU! I'm winning my pride back. I can't lose to Marth...haven't you ever seen "How to brawl like a man" ?
I would also have a problem with the no tripping code being on. I'd probably break that kid's Wii and then set him on fire for being an idiot.
I wonder if that "no tripping" code works for regular pointless tripping AND moves that trip (some characters downtilt for example?)

Anyway, OS, if you make it to finals, and you lose your tiebreaker match because you trip into a smash on your last stock, that would be irony. :p

MuBa

Smash Lord
Against me you won't be able to do a thing like that. I'll make sure of it ;[

And Asdioh there will be no tripping when you begin to dash.

But attacks like ROB's d-tilt, Diddy's Bananas, and etc will still induce the tripping effect so the No-Tripping code is just awesome.

Only problem I can really see is that people just don't have the motivation/knowledge to have the HBC/Ocarina installed. But hey, it's all good. I can still live with tripping enabled. ;/

Top Bottom