• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

WTON - September 12th & 13th - Winona Lake, Indiana ))Midwest Circuit Event((

Vayseth

Smash Master
HEY MICHIGAN:

This is coming up soon and I want to confirm who's going and who's driving who. Also because I need to ask off of work/school if ABSOLUTELY necessary. Most of us are back in school full time which means we need to take into account those schedules now. I would like this figured out by this weekend, if at all humanly possible.

Vayseth

Smash Master
Alright MI, here's the deal: We need a concrete plan with GUARANTEED drivers and people in cars and we need to figure it out by this weekend.

Omni and Rofa were our original drivers but it seems like Rofa has dropped out of the smash scene and Omni just said he doesn't want to go. Joel said he might drive out there himself (I believe he said that) but his car's worse off than Omni's. Scala doesn't want to drive this time around. So currently we have NO DRIVERS. So, we need a list of people going and a list of people driving and we need it QUICK.

Possible drivers:
Omni, NoJ, Scala.

Possible people who want to go:
Vayseth, Scala, Samurai(no space)Panda, Anther, NoJ, Omni, Lain.

If I missed someone I'm sorry.

We need people who are confirmed to go (meaning they actually have money) and drivers to drive them. The costs are $40 if you enter everything and we'll need to split gas. Last time it was $15 a person or less, but with misc food and stuff we'll say $20 to be safe. So, basically, we need around $60 (if you intend on entering everything). Let's get this all figured out people...

POST OR PM ME SO WE CAN ORGANIZE THIS BY THIS WEEKEND OR I'M GETTING A RIDE WITHOUT YOU GUYS.

Needle of Juntah

Smash Champion
my car is shakey i would rather geta ride if i do take people i can only take like 2 other at most. the brakes are really sketchy and if i fill up my car with LOTS of people i wont be able to stop so well :)

TheWildcard

Smash Champion
ok I'll drive, who wants shotgun? Joel Get your *** over here and play me god ****it

I dont wanna drive but it looks like i'll have to take one for the team if scala dosent drive

In my car so far:
Me

Possibly in my car:
NOJ
Samurai(nospaceLOLLOLLOL)Panda
youko
Epic

Also i should note that unless i have 4 people in my car im not driving only because i dont have the money to pay for gas by myself if i want to do the side tournament and pay the venue im a broke college kid :(

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
If other people wanna go, I'm pretty sure that Youko and maybe Epic would be willing to give up their spots. They weren't overly enthused when I suggested a 3 hour drive to Indiana and the money it takes. They just don't know what they'd be missing :D

Also, instead of doing double elimination for the side tournament, can we try Swiss? I'm curious about it and I hear its pretty fun.

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
I think Swiss could work out really well.

I'll look into get a chess tourney software installed on my laptop before ya'll get here so we can try it out.

Needle of Juntah

Smash Champion
ok I'll drive, who wants shotgun? Joel Get your *** over here and play me god ****it

I dont wanna drive but it looks like i'll have to take one for the team if scala dosent drive

In my car so far:
Me

Possibly in my car:
NOJ
Samurai(nospaceLOLLOLLOL)Panda
youko
Epic

Also i should note that unless i have 4 people in my car im not driving only because i dont have the money to pay for gas by myself if i want to do the side tournament and pay the venue im a broke college kid :(
haha well whatever im a broke kid period, i acutally wish i was a kid still.
but yeah we will figure it out :)

Izmo

Smash Cadet
I have no idea what Swiss is :D
Swiss is a tourney style that doesn't use brackets, and in some ways resembles the round robin pools most Smash tourneys try to include.

Basically, the first round, everyone plays a random opponent. You gain a point if you win, half a point if it's a draw, and no point if you lose. Then, the next round commences, and everyone plays a different opponent. The cool thing about swiss is you end up playing everyone in the tournament, and never playing the same person twice, as there is no elimination, just constant re-pairing.

At the end, the person with the most points is the winner. It's a bit more complicated then that, and I think the pairing gets tricky, but that's the gist of it :)

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
You don't necessarily play everyone in the tournament.

Each round, you get paired with someone who has the same number of points as you. So if you won game 1, you will face someone else who won their first game in round 2. If you win there, you will play someone else who has won 2 games. If you lose round 3, then you still have 2 points, and you'll play someone else who has 2 points after 3 rounds.

It basically makes it so that the more rounds you play, the more likely that you are playing people in the later rounds that are similar in skill to you, which makes the end of tournaments a lot more fun.

Tink

Smash Hero
well, ya, but depends on how many rounds you have for swiss, and if anyones actually tried this, the winning points pairing system doesnt work out perfect and you have to impervise. such as, 2 of the top players playing each other in the higher rounds more then once. this has happend to us when we tried it and had to pair the better players down, which then screws out people that are below them.

just a thought. idk how you could fix that to make it better other then just pairing down or making the better players play again, but those kinda sux <_<.

Mr.E

Smash Lord
Swiss would be great for the side tournament. It's less SRS BSNS than the real tourney and no elimination means more fun for everyone. Swiss is also much more forgiving with number of entrants than bracket play.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Doggalina, I wake up at 6 in the morning and go to class and work until 6 or 8 p.m., depending on the day, with two separate hour breaks for food and sanity.

In short, no johns. >:[

I think if two people get paired up in swiss format in the later rounds... have them play each other again if there are no other options. The only issue I could see is if they were the only ones that did so.

Vayseth

Smash Master
Update on Michigan. We have 3 possible drivers.

If Rofa wants to drive, it'll be him, Sara, Panda, EPIC and Youko (unless they don't wanna go). If Rofa drives, the next car would be me, scala, anther, lain and Omni.

If Rofa is not going. We are taking two cars. One is scala with me lain and anther and the other is omni with panda youko and EPIC.

Those are the only people I have talked to. If Joel is riding with omni then one car has 5 and one car has 4. If Rofa is driving, either EPIC or youko would drop to make room for either myself, lain, scala, or anther in his car.

As soon as we have confirmation as to whether or not Rofa is going, we will finalize the cars. Thanks for everyone who got back to me on such short notice.

Everyone else: FU =P

Legan is going right? How's he getting there??

Vayseth

Smash Master
legans already moved to st. louis

but yeah he'll be there

rofl at vayseth constantly forgetting about thax
Thax never contacted me and if he only had $10 for Rofa's I don't know if he's got the ~$20 required for gas and the other ~$40 for tournament entry fees/venue fees.

So thax, if you wanna go, you can contact me and we can figure it out.

Teebs

Smash Champion
NNID
Teebs-kun
Swiss sounds like it could be fun, but also sounds like it could be longer than pools and brackets, correct me if I am wrong. But I may end up trying it out anyway...

Vayseth

Smash Master
Rofa is going.
You got confirmation?

In this case...

Rofa's Car:
Rofa, Sara, Lain, Anther, Panda

Omni's Car:
Omni, Scala, me, NoJ, Thax

DONE.

Omni, I can leave at 4 pm. I know I'm the only one from Ann Arbor, but it is on the way so I'd appreciate it if you pick me up. I'll also chip in a bit extra for your gas money. I can probably leave earlier if you want but last time we arrived around 7:30-8 and not everyone was there yet so we didn't start anything until later. So, if we leave at 4-4:30 pm (from Ann Arbor) we should get there no later than 7-7:30 (at the latest 8 pm) and we'll be more than on time. Sound cool?

Actually, if I remember correctly you said you get out of class at 1:30 pm and if it's like an hour, hour and a half to get here, the earliest you could even get here is 3 pm. I think I can get out of things at 1 pm, but I'd rather go to this meeting from 3-4 is at all possible. Thanks!

BTW, Shotgun. (trust me, it's in your best interests XD)

Also, NoJ tells me he's unsure if he's going. If thax is going for sure, that leaves enough people in the car but if anyone else bails we'll take either lain or Anther and EPIC or Youko can come then too.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
WOOOOOOOOOOOO!

*high fives Michigan*

SPanda, how many stages you think I should do for that little custom stage side tournament? 3? 5?

Top Bottom