• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

WWYP XIII: Apocalypse Now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alien Vision

Smash Ace
Wow. EE. Thankyou for this vast amount of insight. This is the critique I have been waiting for. I honestly forgot the ''ed'' on the word ''look''. ^^

Let's try this once more. If you don't mind of course.

In a snowbound field; lies an ancient artifact. It is said, that this artifact could possibly hold the answer to everything we need to know about our subconscious. Nobody dares to seek out this artifact knowing the treacherous horrors that plague this land. Even if you could manage to brave this labyrinthine tundra. A monster still guards this artifact. It's massive claws will tear you into pieces, and if you decide to run away; it will tear your spine out and strangle you with it.

I am trying. Really, I am. The ending made me lawl. I seem to be able to discuss things at a very high level. Yet, when it comes to making up a story out of my imagination. I completely lose control. I guess you could say. I have the ideas, and the ability to manifest them. I don't have the blueprints that shows me how to put everything together.

Fried Ice Cream

Smash Ace
The ; isn't needed in there.
What would work is:

In a snowbound field lies an ancient artifact; This artifact could possibly hold the answer to everything we need to know about our subconscious.

I think...

The second part, "and if you decide to run, it will tear your spine out and strangle you with it" would be the right form.

Alien Vision

Smash Ace
The ; isn't needed in there.
What would work is:

In a snowbound field lies an ancient artifact; This artifact could possibly hold the answer to everything we need to know about our subconscious.

I think...

The second part, "and if you decide to run, it will tear your spine out and strangle you with it" would be the right form.
Atleast thats 2 mistakes compared to what? 17? These are mistakes I should've realized . It's the way I say the words in my head. It really throws me off. D:

I should've just said: In a snowbound field lies an ancient artifact. This artifact could possibly hold the answer to everything we need to know about our subconscious.

Thankyou for pointing these mistakes out.

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
Wow. EE. Thankyou for this vast amount of insight. This is the critique I have been waiting for. I honestly forgot the ''ed'' on the word ''look''. ^^

Let's try this once more. If you don't mind of course.

In a snowbound field; lies an ancient artifact. It is said, that this artifact could possibly hold the answer to everything we need to know about our subconscious. Nobody dares to seek out this artifact knowing the treacherous horrors that plague this land. Even if you could manage to brave this labyrinthine tundra. A monster still guards this artifact. It's massive claws will tear you into pieces, and if you decide to run away; it will tear your spine out and strangle you with it.

I am trying. Really, I am. The ending made me lawl. I seem to be able to discuss things at a very high level. Yet, when it comes to making up a story out of my imagination. I completely lose control. I guess you could say. I have the ideas, and the ability to manifest them. I don't have the blueprints that shows me how to put everything together.
Again, read what EE said. The semicolon is not used to break up a sentence, it is used to express two complete, related thoughts (ie, whatever you write before the semicolon must be a complete sentence by itself, and whatever you write after the semicolon must be a complete sentence by itself).

Often, using a semicolon is a stylistic choice, but it can really help with expressing certain complex/compound sentences. The ideas expressed must be closely related. For example:

Right:
"GoldShadow is an awful poster; his posts reek of nonsense."

Both parts of the sentence are complete thoughts, and the second part is related to/expands upon the first part. You would not use a semicolon to join these two thoughts, however:

Wrong:
"GoldShadow is an awful poster; he drinks milk daily."
Unless you're trying to argue that GoldShadow's awful posts and his dairy habits are somehow related, these are unrelated thoughts and would not be joined by a semicolon.
Note that the first letter of the second part of the sentence (the part after the semicolon) is not capitalized, unless it's a proper noun, of course.

Wrong:
"GoldShadow is an; awful poster."
You cannot use the semicolon to break up a full sentence. Remember that both parts of a sentence with a semicolon must be full sentences themselves.

Right:
Also, you could express the original sentence with two separate sentences if you wanted to:
"GoldShadow is an awful poster. His posts reek of nonsense."

Right:
And you can express it using a single compound sentence without a semicolon, if you want to:
"GoldShadow is an awful poster because his posts reek of nonsense."

Wrong:
You cannot use a comma to join both clauses in the sentence without something to join them (like the word "because") or without breaking them up using a semicolon or period.
"GoldShadow is an awful poster, his posts reek of nonsense."
This is known as a comma splice, and while it's fine in dialogue, it should not be used in narrative.

You can also use the semicolon to break up items in a list to avoid confusion, but that's another lesson for another day, and I'm sure EE's links cover that.

2) Colloquial contractions like "must've" should be kept to dialogue only. I know that's what you did here, but I'm just warning you ahead of time. Technically you should only use contractions in dialogue period but ehhh nobody bothers with that.
EE's post is a treasure trove. Read it well, and read the links he posted too; I don't think you read the links or, if you did, you didn't internalize them (see how I used that semicolon in this sentence?).

However, I disagree with what EE says about contractions. When writing fiction, contractions in your narrative are just fine (no need for them to be confined to dialogue). Whether you use them or not will depend on the narrative voice. If you're trying to achieve a more formal tone of voice in your narration, then don't use contractions. If you're aiming for a more familiar tone of voice, contractions are okay (and you'll be using more if you want a very familiar/colloquial voice). Alternatively, if you're writing from the first person perspective, and your narrator uses a lot of contractions, it's fine as well.

How do you properly use the '';''s or the ''-''s?
Regarding dashes, there are three most commonly used types. The hyphen, which is used to join words together (eg, "get-together," "fifty-four") or separate syllables in words.

There's the en dash, or
– (CTRL + hyphen, using the CTRL button on the num pad of your keyboard). I'm pressed for time and will refer you to Wikipedia for its use: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/En_dash#En_dash

Same with the em dash, or
—. The em dash is used to separate thoughts from the rest of a sentence, usually to put emphasis on them. It is also used for interruptions in dialogue, such as:
Colin said, "I'm just about to
[FONT=&quot]—"
"Be quiet!" Janie said.
See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Em_dash#Em_dash for more.

Also read EE's link. I didn't check it myself, but I'm sure it's more informative and thorough.

[/FONT]

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Good luck everyone.

At the very least I'll read the winner's story.

Virgilijus

Nonnulli Laskowski praestant
BRoomer
No fan fiction, Mischa (though you're probably an alt of some sort), so that story cannot be entered.

Virgilijus

Nonnulli Laskowski praestant
BRoomer
Hmmm, I asked Kiki to write a script that bans you whenever you type 'me', 'volunteer' and 'judge' in the same sentence...

Need to ask for a refund.

Varist

Smash Lord
Can't believe I found this so late, I love writing but I haven't written a story since middle school. I've come up with a really interesting idea, and this will be the perfect activity to occupy my otherwise bare remaining summer month.

-Final-

Aria♪

I have a story idea that fits perfectly with this. It kind of streches the topic, but it is definitely a tale of the end of the world (just not what one would expect). We'll see what I can make of it. No Bombs, Zombies, guns, or Dying people here. The only problem is the word limit. ;_; Oh well. I'll see how I can work around that.

Yeah, K. I give up. No way I'm going to be able to fit this into 10000 words. >_>

SharkAttack

Smash Lord
I might enter this. I did the Write With Your Power with the 3 people, 1 gun and 1 shot prompt back in 2009 and it was fun. I have no idea what I would say just yet, but something will pop up.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
What could you possibly be writing that requires well over 10,000 words (and I say that as someone who has written several stories that long)?

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
I can try. I just don't want the story to seem rushed. =/
Don't let the deadline scare you out of writing something. The most important outcome of this contest is that you have a completed project. I very well might not get my story done in time for judging, but hell if I'm going to just not write it because I'm afraid of that.

and as an aside, if the majority of these stories turn out to be zombie stories I'll be very disappointed. Zombies have been played out for me since like...a very long time ago.

camerino1

Smash Lord
I'm already done my story. I have been in such a story-telling mood lately that I just barreled through it and I feel great about it. It's about 9800 words too, so it just makes it under the limit.

It gets a little "racy" at parts because you guys said you encouraged it. I just hope that I don't get docked points because it's intimate and not "end of the world" feeling when they are going at it ;).

Edit: Final, I encourage you to write a story.

Fried Ice Cream

Smash Ace
Hmm, I started writing a story about 3 weeks ago, thought it sucked, deleted some bits and forgot about it. Now I think I still want to try something, but I'm on vacation till the 3rd. I can't enter a rough draft in time then, I guess, but if I do decide to enter, expect my draft a little later! Is that okay?

#HBC | Acrostic

♖♘♗♔♕♗♘♖
Hmm, I started writing a story about 3 weeks ago, thought it sucked, deleted some bits and forgot about it. Now I think I still want to try something, but I'm on vacation till the 3rd. I can't enter a rough draft in time then, I guess, but if I do decide to enter, expect my draft a little later! Is that okay?
Jam Stunna said:
As this contest is already scheduled to last for two months, ALL DEADLINES ARE FINAL AND NON-NEGOTIABLE. We've been pretty loose about extensions and giving results in the past, but there will be no extensions this time, and I give you my word that results will be posted on time.
Non-negotiable :/

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
You should just enter a few words, like "The quick brown fox was about to jump over the lazy dog to press the nuclear launch button, but then" and submit that as your rough draft.

Then when you finish your actual story, just post that as your final draft, and all the judges will marvel at you and go "wow, you really improved your original draft, good job," and you'll be eligible for scoring to boot.

Loopholes: the more you know.

#HBC | Acrostic

♖♘♗♔♕♗♘♖
Edit: I forgot how incredibly difficult and time-consuming creative writing can be.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
There needs to be enough of a rough draft posted that the judges can reasonably assume that it is (or very near to being) complete. A sentence or two is not going to cut it.

-Final-

Aria♪
Pssh. I just started my new story 5 minutes ago. :V

Let's hope whatever I get done will be acceptable for the rough draft. I've been extremely busy the last few weeks, but for the next couple, I'm almost completely free. I got this.

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
There needs to be enough of a rough draft posted that the judges can reasonably assume that it is (or very near to being) complete. A sentence or two is not going to cut it.
Absolutely, and whoever it was who suggested otherwise should be ashamed-- Er, whoops.

But yes, I was joking. I hope nobody took me seriously :urg:

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Dammit I dunno if I can prop a rough draft by the 31st. Lame non-constant Internet. We'll see.

At least knowing final deadline is after I get back from vacation is a little helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom