• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yeah, Close to quitting playing brawl..

DigitalMachina

Smash Rookie
I guess it's because I don't practice. I have no way of going to a tourney so I just play online. I want to get better on Wifi but I just don't understand why I lose. I've been playing this game for 2 years now. I mean I've improved but I want to know how to be those tough players like online. It's frustrating.

And with the practice, I don't know how I should practice, and for how long (mainly you guys who play online)? How can I get better at this without going to tourney's? I'm kind of sick of losing.

Sorry if this is in the wrong section.

Alzi

Smash Master
You can never get good online and if you can't beat the person online you can probally beat him offline much more easier.

The only way is to go to tourneys or play offlince by yourself or play online but not to take the online too seriously.

E-Jolteon

Smash Ace
You can never get good online and if you can't beat the person online you can probally beat him offline much more easier.
Correction: If you can't beat him online, your chances are slightly better offline.

Online takes a lot more foresight than local play. I'm not going to say you can beat this person, maybe they're just good. Online takes the ability to predict things much more quickly, as you always have a very slight input lag. There were only 2 matches I ever remember having where there was literally no visible input lag.

Really, if you're going to quit Brawl because some one is a better player than you, however, you're doing it for the wrong reason. The reason I quit is simply because I wasn't having fun with it anymore. Same goes for Melee(Although Smash64 holds up surprisingly well).

SSSnake

Smash Journeyman
going offline is a MUCH better way to train. taunt parties will be gay and use your own character, team up, and beat you. and if they beat you with your own character you will feel like you suck.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
going offline is a MUCH better way to train. taunt parties will be gay and use your own character, team up, and beat you. and if they beat you with your own character you will feel like you suck.
No one practices on With Anyone. I'm 99% sure he's talking about with friends.

Damage Points

Smash Ace
online is the worse way to play this game... the game is so much better at tournaments. online has a lot of lag and screws up a lot of characters and game speed. for example i use wario and online he sucks so bad because of lag. offline wario is a tank his moves are quick and hes a much better character. why cant you travel to tournaments??

Derressh

Smash Cadet
why cant you travel to tournaments??
Most of the time people can't make it to tourneys because of a lack of transportation (no car/nobody willing to drive you), or just a plain lack of tourneys near where they live. My problem's the first one. :ohwell:

Tenki

Smash Hero
I'd say I play respectably, and most of my initial experience playing the game was from online.

You can still improve your gameplay if you work your mental (prediction) game instead of concerning yourself with lag-hits. You familiarize yourself with things like tech behaviors, ledge behaviors and even bits of matchup behaviors - things that you don't learn by playing vs computers and/or crappy people. Granted, this is assuming that you play using an online community and don't have an offline crowd to improve with.

Then again, when I did play online, it was during the initial Brawl rush, so I got to play awesome people like known names from Melee and/or rising stars in Brawl (ex: Ally <3), and if not, at least people who are known to play well with their characters.

Even with lag, you can feel the difference between their spacing/mental game compared with lower-level players.

Also, when I eventually did make the switch to offline play, it was glorious - like, I was mentally prepared to shield things from online play (that kinda thing you get from playing vs... players instead of computers), except there was no input lag so I'd actually be able to defend.
And with the practice, I don't know how I should practice, and for how long (mainly you guys who play online)? How can I get better at this without going to tourney's? I'm kind of sick of losing.
So, the short version is, when you play, play in your head.
You run at someone - instead of thinking "okay, i attack", think "I bet he'll spotdodge if I get too close, so I can probably catch him with a delayed attack or running behind and doing pivot grab"

When someone's knocked down, walk up to them and guess what they'll do. Do you think they'll do their get up attack? Then walk up and hold shield, then grab/whatever to punish them. If lag screws you up and you get hit, oh well. What matters is that you guess their move correctly.

Stuff like that is what you can apply to your gameplay to make you a better player in general. Just be sure you're aware of when things are legitimate reads or lag hits :p

:093:

Damage Points

Smash Ace
Most of the time people can't make it to tourneys because of a lack of transportation (no car/nobody willing to drive you), or just a plain lack of tourneys near where they live. My problem's the first one. :ohwell:

i guess im just lucky then... where i live there is literally something going on every weekend.

Apollo$

Smash Ace
You can't really get better at wifi per say. You have to adapt to it and like everyone else said it makes your mental/prediction skills better (worked for me). Wifi shackles you for a bit and the offline transition is amazeing.

DotheDiddyMonkeyDance

Smash Apprentice
So, when I play offline, how should I practice by myself?
I know it may sound harsh but find some friends to play with you. However if this is Vbrawl your talking about alot of people dont actually play it due to it lacking things. I mean Hell I live in michigan and I still look for people to play this game even people I dunno who I meat at some local tournies and friends houses etc. If you need to find people to play just look around and ask people but dont just play this game online its really tiedious and a P.I.T.A.

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
I guess it's because I don't practice. I have no way of going to a tourney so I just play online. I want to get better on Wifi but I just don't understand why I lose. I've been playing this game for 2 years now. I mean I've improved but I want to know how to be those tough players like online. It's frustrating.

Sorry if this is in the wrong section.
I’m just a casual Brawl player but I still enjoying going on-line in to random matches as long as the other guys don’t taunt spam. In fact, I prefer when the other guys do their best to destroy me because I learn a lot more that way. I’ve seen some guys do INCREDIBLE things on-line that I wouldn’t have thought possible and quite honestly it just inspires me to try harder.

Off line with friends is really the best way to practice Brawl if you can’t make it to tourneys but if that’s not an option I suggest watching the videos on this site or on YouTube for information on how to get the most out of your character.

Regardless, you’re just going to have to face it that lots of people are really good at this game because they’ve been playing since the original came out in 1999. Accept that fact and keep playing. That’s what I’ve done and sometimes I get destroyed and other times I crush the opponents so it all equals out.

Damage Points

Smash Ace
Just play wifi for fun. I lose matches all the time cause of lag and how slow the game feels. But it transfers beautifully over to actual tourneys. Maybe join the all is brawl singles ladder and pick a main and play an entire season with him. You should definately notice yourself improving. Wifi like I said can help u improve but nothing compares to an actual tournament environment.

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
You probably need to step your mental game up. I didn't play online for a long time because I figure there was no point but after hearing how Ally started online and realizing that the reason I came to a standstill was because I was using a predictable character with no mental game. Now that I've started taking online more seriously as a way to get better my mental game is much better at the expense of obvious precision and finesse due to lag. Still though, nowadays I find myself using mindgames, baiting, predicting all sorts of things and it's almost second nature most of the time. Especially using GW since he's sorta reliant on mixups and stuff since he's such a linear character.

You won't get the whole "getting better experience" with online but at least you'll work on an important aspect. Oh and always play with people who are better. beating up lower level players gets you nowhere. Aim to fight people you know you will lose to, It will force you to adapt more quickly. Don't get angry when you lose (even in really dumb ways) embrace it and take it as a learning experience.

Top Bottom