• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yes, we KNOW Ganondorf is manly...

DLA

"Their anguish was my nourishment."
NNID
DLAhhh
Alright I just want to come in with a little dose of real talk... now, I know being a Ganon main is tough. And we cope with it however we can, including writing jokes, poems, and lengthy monologues about Ganondorf's phallic might.

However, I've been a Ganon main for over 2 years now, and let me be frank--these Ganon jokes are getting us nowhere.

You guys haven't seen much of me over the past few months, but I've been here; I usually keep a Ganon boards tab open at all times, and I check pretty much every day. And for the past month or so, I don't think I've seen a single relevant post relating to Ganon's metagame. I think someone made a new topic about Murder Quake for the 150th time, but at least he was trying.

My point is, the Ganon boards seem to have abandoned all interest in Ganon's metagame. Most of the time, we're talking about random video games or anime or something. If you were around during the old days, we had guys like DAD, Swoops, Z1GMA, and Kalm constantly pumping out new and fresh Ganon info. These guys were powerhouses. All of them seem to have moved on (except Z1G, bless his heart), but that doesn't mean the Ganon boards can't come up with new ideas.

Why did I bring up the Ganon-related jokes? Well, don't get me wrong; I really do enjoy the notoriety that we've given Ganondorf over the years. But when every hopeful thread devolves into "ganon is such a bad***, he [sexual innuendo likely involving murder]s everyone", then the thread tends to stop generating any posts actually worth reading. And then the newer posters get the wrong idea of what the Ganon boards are actually about.

So I implore the Ganon community: I don't care if you truly want to improve as players or not, but if you do, the only way to get better is to take your character seriously. It's fine to make jokes, but that shouldn't be your only contribution to the board.

This is all a bit strange for me to be saying, considering that I've only been an occasional contributor to the boards, at best. So I realized that the best way to get people to participate is to share as much of my knowledge as possible, and ask people to do the same. I think I've been to more tournaments than all of our active members put together, so I'm sure I have a lot of information that can help. Just ask me if you have any questions, and if not, I'll be doing what I can to help from now on.

Noobicidal

Smash Master
I'll be completely honest and just say that I'm absolutely sick of all the jokes, especially the overtly sexual ones. It's not funny, and it never was.

DLA

NNID
DLAhhh
I'll be completely honest and just say that I'm absolutely sick of all the jokes, especially the overtly sexual ones. It's not funny, and it never was.
Regardless of whether they're funny or not, everyone just needs to learn moderation. If I hear a joke similar to "I don't main Ganon, Ganon mains me" one more time, someone's going to get stomped inda nuts.

edit: that was a boondocks joke, not a ganon joke. lmao

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
But I thought the point of Ganon and Falcon was the manliness. Advancing the metagame for Ganon is manly, and should be associated with an appropriate celebration!

And back on topic, I've always been serious about advancing this character's metagame. Even though I've also been really emo about Ganon at times. I do however try to contribute tips in Zig's tip thread.

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
I agree for the most part. But the problem is that next to no one is interested in seriously using Ganon anymore, so coming up with new info would go as far as telling the only Ganons interested in advancing his metagame what they already know.

The boards have devolved. But it just feels like with so little interest in Ganon, it'd just be preaching to the choir for the Ganon vets.

I do wanna say I am fully for the continuation of Ganon jokes, but preferably with some originality. I know the mention of the Ganon poem in the beginning was directed at me, but I defend my position and say it was at least original and AWESOME AS ****.

But yeah. If we had some dedication and seasoned vets still around, we'd have a place to start. But like you said, it's really only you and me in the offline scene.

Noobicidal

Smash Master
I agree for the most part. But the problem is that next to no one is interested in seriously using Ganon anymore, so coming up with new info would go as far as telling the only Ganons interested in advancing his metagame what they already know.
While this is true, I still think it's worth bouncing ideas off of one another, regardless of how well-known they may be.

"Hey guys, after choking someone near the edge, you can attempt a fall off SH Bair back onstage to punish GUAs and away rolls" and such.

The boards have devolved. But it just feels like with so little interest in Ganon, it'd just be preaching to the choir for the Ganon vets.
Welcome to the Jigglypuff board.

I do wanna say I am fully for the continuation of Ganon jokes, but preferably with some originality. I know the mention of the Ganon poem in the beginning was directed at me, but I defend my position and say it was at least original and AWESOME AS ****.
He could have also referenced any of PK-Ow!'s poems over the years.

DLA

NNID
DLAhhh
Lol I'm not trying to take shots at anyone--Ganonic poetry has existed on these boards even since I joined.

Though I gotta say that the "lengthy monologues" were pretty much directed at Verm lol.

Ray_Kalm

Smash Master
NNID
Ray_Kalm7
3DS FC
3626-0429-4546
Ganon's metagame is already at it's max. There really isn't anything to add onto it. The most we can give is, general tips against specific match-ups.

I've been absent from my tournament scene a long time, and I can't attend national tournaments. If this game is still highly active for the next 6 months, then I will randomly jump into the national scene out of nowhere if I could. But, for now Ganon's reputation will remain dead.

Vermanubis, if you don't mind me asking, what have you achieved with Ganon since you were given the title of King Of Evil?

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
Ganon's metagame is already at it's max. There really isn't anything to add onto it. The most we can give is, general tips against specific match-ups.

I've been absent from my tournament scene a long time, and I can't attend national tournaments. If this game is still highly active for the next 6 months, then I will randomly jump into the national scene out of nowhere if I could. But, for now Ganon's reputation will remain dead.

Vermanubis, if you don't mind me asking, what have you achieved with Ganon since you were given the title of King Of Evil?
I agree with Kalm for the most part about it reaching its max. But his reputation isn't dead. Not by a long shot. The East Coast know's Ganon's name well. :oneeye:

We're not going into this again, are we? But if you have to know, for the sake or precluding a lengthy debate: (precluding major namesearch bait)

-Defeated Pr0wn's ICs twice in tournament. (Ranked in New England)
-Defeated C.Awesum's Meta Knight in tournament (Ranked, but unranked this period due to inactivity)
-Defeated Etecoon's Snake in a 5$ MM (Former ranked in NE)
-Defeated Peachkid twice in tournament.
-I wanna say defeated Nichole at Apex, but it wasn't technically a money match, but people had lined up for about two hours to play her, and she had remained undefeated until I played her, and the match was hype beyond all hell. I'll just throw that in there because I'm not honestly sure where to place it.
-Defeated Ed's Zelda in a MM.

Minor Achievements (either beat them in friendlies, or took games off in tourney, WiFi etc.)

-Beat Pelca's Diddy in a MM (ranked in NE)
-Beat J-udge on the ladder.
-Beat Way-mas on the ladder.
-Took Doom's MK to last stock, last hit, game 3 in tourney (would've won had Frigate not flipped and killed me)
-Reached about 1800 on the ladder in under a week.

Players I've beaten a respectable amount of times in friendlies, or plain won in friendlies.

-Da-buz
-San
-Will
-Koolaid
-Bloodcross
-Cable
-Ninja-Link
-Yosh-Q
-Kirin

etc. I forgot some, but I can't remember every person I've beaten in the past 6 months or so. For whatever it's worth, I also make use of Flipman and FoG. :ganondorf:

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
We've been milking Ganon for so long now,
that the only things I find nowadays are Super Situational 0-deaths,
which has like a 1% chance of happening in a real match, lol.

If you're standing at the ledge, facing out, and your opponent is standing right next to you
(you beeing closest to the ledge), if you hit them while they're shielding with the 2'nd
hit of your Dsmash. you'll pull him into yourself, thus pushing both character over the edge
(canceling you Dsmash), and then you can spike him right away.
Really nasty, but ridiculously situational, heh.

I've got a few more Party Tricks, but they'll never get Ganon anywhere, heh..

Stuff we should focus on in the near future includes:
  • Dtilt or iDA for Damage Racking out of Gerudo? Which character?
  • SH Stomp Vs FF Fullhop Stomp? Which characters?
  • Advanced Buffering Formulas, to make Ganon quicker.
  • Controller Setup? (make it easier to DI up + Wiz Kick, and stuff like that).
  • Trading hits with Up+b as a OoS-Option.
  • Uthrow at mid %'s (A2)
  • Observe ppl's DI when we hit them with a Dtilt after a Gerudo,
    to increase the chances of a good read when it's time for the kill.
  • Dthrow at the ledge, facing out, (A2), to trick ppl into DIing towards us,
    thus letting us land a destructive aerial.
  • Wizk Kick Landchasing.

About Buffering Formulas, I've got a neat formula for
SHFF Bair -> Reverse Dtilt.

- Press Controlstick up + C Back, then at the peak, Controlstick back, RELEASE, + C down.
Result: Ganon will SHFF Bair -> Dtilt like if he was teleporting.

Baits speedy characters like there's no tomorrow.

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
We've been milking Ganon for so long now,
that the only things I find nowadays are Super Situational 0-deaths,
which has like a 1% chance of happening in a real match, lol.

If you're standing at the ledge, facing out, and your opponent is standing right next to you
(you beeing closest to the ledge), if you hit them while they're shielding with the 2'nd
hit of your Dsmash. you'll pull him into yourself, thus pushing both character over the edge
(canceling you Dsmash), and then you can spike him right away.
Really nasty, but ridiculously situational, heh.

I've got a few more Party Tricks, but they'll never get Ganon anywhere, heh..

Stuff we should focus on in the near future includes:
  • Dtilt or iDA for Damage Racking out of Gerudo? Which character?
  • SH Stomp Vs FF Fullhop Stomp? Which characters?
  • Advanced Buffering Formulas, to make Ganon quicker.
  • Controller Setup? (make it easier to DI up + Wizk Kick, and stuff like that).
  • Trading hits with Up+b as a OoS-Option.
  • Uthrow at mid %'s (A2)

About Buffering Formulas, I've got a neat formula for
SHFF Bair -> Reverse Dtilt.

- Press Controlstick up + C Back, then at the peak, Controlstick back, RELEASE, + C down.
Result: Ganon will SHFF Bair -> Dtilt like if he was teleporting.

Baits speedy characters like there's no tomorrow.
Yeah, I fiddle with Ganon in my spare time, and the only things I've found are hardly secrets, just difficult to execute or awkward. Such as WKC repeatedly or as a mode of transportation, or Flipman > Wizkicking when someone is waiting far enough from the ledge because they expect a Aerudo from the ledge.

There's nothing left to do with Ganon aside from just improve as players and share MU tips.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
WKC repeatedly
Lol, ppl ALWAYS get hit by a second Wizkick for some reason.
Maybe they just dont think Ganon Can follow it up fast enough,
but then he does - With another one, lawl.

Wiz Kick -> Wiz Kick.. Best string ever.

Oh, ye, I totally forgot - I use to use a retreating iDA instead of the backroll sometimes.
They have about the same cooldown and reach, so it doesn't matter much.
But if your opponent rolls behind you the split second before you RiDA (Reverse iDA),
he/she gets hit by it :p

Ganonsburg

Smash Lord
Well, how do other boards advance their metagame? What can we learn from them? Other than not joking all the time, I mean, as that's hardly an answer.

DLA

NNID
DLAhhh
Verm you better keep that tournament info handy for next month :p I'm coming for you boy.

I think I might start a thread completely devoted to mindgames. I've begun keeping a list of all of the mindgames I perform in each match, not only for my own reference, but for any curious Ganons as well.

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
I managed to beat ya back; if I make it to :ganondorf::ganondorf::ganondorf::ganondorf::ganondorf: we're SOOOO settling this. How In the world did you take a game off my Sheik, I'll never know and why did ya have to mess up rathy's Sheik so bad.
LOL Ed. <3

The MM score is 1-0. COME AND GET ME.
. It was the closest MM I'd had the entirety of Apex.

Also, is Rathy the one who I was fighting in this?: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZs6MdJs6tw I've been dying to know who that is lol.

#HBC | Scary

Hype Incarnate
NNID
ScaryLB59
LOL Ed. <3

The MM score is 1-0. COME AND GET ME.
. It was the closest MM I'd had the entirety of Apex.

Also, is Rathy the one who I was fighting in this?: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZs6MdJs6tw I've been dying to know who that is lol.
Yep, that's deff Rathy's Sheik. What was our set count, like 7-6 or something obnoxious like that. Regardless, fixing that at ##### if I can make it. Then more lol times as we quest for food.

PS -> Grab :zelda::awesome:

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
Let us hope P5 rivals the ineffable awesome of Apex.

And yeah, something like that. Our MM had 3 matches, 2-1, and the pre/post MM games add up somewhere around there.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Reading thrrough this, I have to say - and just as Vermanubis stated - Ray Kalm is pretty much right about Ganon's metagame reaching its peak. The only thing now would be for Ganon mains to take what they know about Ganon's moves and physics, as well as his MUs and play intelligently and try to outsmart and predict the opponent, since that's pretty much Ganon's playstyle: Predict and punish hard.

Perhaps there's an oversaturation of jokes and other non-metagame posts because there's nothing more to contribute in the way of advanced techniques. Instead, what we can do is post things that have proved useful in specific MUs. Here's a hypothetical example:

Meta Knight uses Mach Tornado. The Ganon player uses a jab. The jab goes through and out-prioritises Mach Tornado, hitting Meta Knight

Things like that. If things of that matter should come up, then we can try sharing those random, yet situational, tidbits, because frankly, Ganondorf - as manly and evil as he is - will realistically need all of the help and info he can get.

Clai

Smash Lord
Where men are born and champions are raised
I wish I can continue to contribute to the metagame and Ganon's general studliness, I really do, but I don't really play this game much anymore, so I really don't have anything to contribute at this point.

Knowing situational tidbits is amazing because no one sees it coming when the situation ever arises. Using my FoG tactics on slopes totally makes people go "WTF?" because they haven't seen Ganon do it quite like that before.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
We should all collaborate on writing a new Ganon guide, I think. We could organize it over Skype/AIM/etc.

I'm pretty sure in the list of ATs, we have FoG listed as being pretty much useless, when it can be a pretty nice boon in the Snake MU. I'd go so far as to call it an essential AT. I mean, how many of us have actually mastered FoG from AD? Then again, there's like 8 or 9 of us who are actually dedicated to Ganon at absolute most, and Kalm hasn't been to a tourney in ages.

Also, we have no listed follow-ups for the Ice Climbers from Gerudo, we just sort of call it silly. Which it isn't, as it would be nice to know what can be done when we've finally managed to kill Nana.

Clai

Smash Lord
Where men are born and champions are raised
I'd have no problems coordinating a guide, as long as there's enough notice so I can plan ahead for it.

Also, I know I'm supposed to be contributing here, but I just clanked with Ike's Foward-Tilt with U-Smash. And I thought tanking DK's Fully charged Punch there was crazy. I swear, I'm just more and more in awe about Ganondorf's manliness.

DLA

NNID
DLAhhh
A whole new guide is a HUGE undertaking. We can't even finish more than 3 stages in a stage discussion thread right now lmao.

Besides, Swoops' guide is fine IMO. His guide was voted one of the top 5 character guides on SWF, if I remember correctly. And really, not much has changed since then.

If we want to do something worthwhile, we should work on a more advanced frame data chart, with frame advantages and ****.

Top Bottom