• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

YL Worst Matchups

ShibyX

Smash Rookie
Wondering what people think are the worst matchups for this lil duder.

rhan

Smash Hero
Sheik isn't as difficult to play against then the spacies. If you're good enough to use the projectiles wisely and hold a bomb on you at all times, Shiek CG's aren't a threat.

Avro-Arrow

Smash Journeyman
I feel like C.Falcon is somewhat difficult as well, although not his worst matchup. Probably Fox IMO.

EddyBearr

Smash Lord
Fox, Sheik, Marth and Falco are his hardest matchups imo, probably in that order. Falcon can hurt you hard but if you know how to DI against falcon, you can stand a chance.

I don't think Young Link has very many bad matchups -- it's just that the matchups he does lose, he loses hard.

Last edited:

Mr. S

Smash Apprentice
I don't have that much trouble with Fox. I don't really find it that hard to get some stuff started on him, and it's not hard to combo him for days. It's not an easy matchup, but it really isn't that bad.

Marth and Falco are horrific though.

EddyBearr

Smash Lord
I don't have that much trouble with Fox. I don't really find it that hard to get some stuff started on him, and it's not hard to combo him for days. It's not an easy matchup, but it really isn't that bad.

Marth and Falco are horrific though.
If you play against a fox that approaches you and doesn't know the matchup, it's easy to win since fox isn't Falco and Young Link can combo fox hard with juggling and gimp him.

However, the second a fox says, "I know you're Young Link. I'm gonna laser camp you," Young Link loses super hard, almost entirely because lasers reflect bombs while doing more damage than bombs would anyways. :(
Falco can't really camp us as well because we can time our projectiles between his lasers or powershield, as well as him being way easier to kill and gimp.

Last edited:

Mr. S

Smash Apprentice
If you play against a fox that approaches you and doesn't know the matchup, it's easy to win since fox isn't Falco and Young Link can combo fox hard with juggling and gimp him.

However, the second a fox says, "I know you're Young Link. I'm gonna laser camp you," Young Link loses super hard, almost entirely because lasers reflect bombs while doing more damage than bombs would anyways. :(
Falco can't really camp us as well because we can time our projectiles between his lasers or powershield, as well as him being way easier to kill and gimp.
Okay, yeah. The Fox main I play against is super aggressive. I didn't know lasers reflected bombs like that.

That's kinda scary.

uboa

Smash Rookie
Falco is a really really hard matchup. Lasers shut down young link really hard and young link's out of shield options are pretty not great. That adds up to big struggles, even though ylink's punish game on falco is pretty solid with some decent juggles.

kaptinkillem

Smash Cadet
Marth isn't that bad, he's bad against projectiles, and once you get a hit with one you can get in his face, and he has trouble when people are in his face too.

Last edited:

Mr. S

Smash Apprentice
Marth is a hard matchup. He may not have projectiles, but he has that sword (that thing can cut through projectiles and has those nasty tippers). Getting in his face with YL isn't particularly easy because Marth's kit is, for the most part, pretty good at keeping YL and his projectiles out.

EddyBearr

Smash Lord
Thankfully, there are quite a few Young Link vs Marth videos, especially Axe vs Tai. Bomb into dair is a basically guanteed edgeguard, or bomb into nair/fair if they're too low of percent. I'll be making a new thread for that soon. I've compiled all the videos, I just wanna work out the format and have some not-lazy free time for when I finally post it.

Unlike most falling-faster characters, Marth doesn't quite fall fast enough to uair/u-tilt/u-smash juggle him to any significiant extent, so we have to deal with tons of hit-confirm situations.

ihasabuket

Smash Journeyman
Fox Falco Sheik in some order
I disagree, i think falcon instead of falco. At least falco's slow run speed lets you pull projectiles and you can avoid lasers by using platforms. Plus Falcon has much stronger kill moves on young link.

atara

Smash Cadet
Is it really that easy for Shiek to CG YL? It's talked about but I don't often see it happen. YL usually avoids grabs well and SDI exists.

ihasabuket

Smash Journeyman
Is it really that easy for Shiek to CG YL? It's talked about but I don't often see it happen. YL usually avoids grabs well and SDI exists.
Honestly its not, its worse for pikachu and Axe still managed to beat M2K's shiek.

Top Bottom