• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yo Full Sail People

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
Do we have any here?
Cause I got some questions.

How much programing should I know before starting college there?
How high a math should I know?
And some other I can't think of right now. Soo yeah. Let me know that stuff.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
Oh, I just remembered one that you can help me with.
Apparently. there is apartments close by, walking distance. How expensive are they?

Nihongo-ookami

Smash Journeyman
I'd like to know this stuff as well, since I plan to go there also.

I know (advanced)Java programming, Basic - Intermediate C++/C#, and to my knowledge, have a 3.something GPA.

I've heard that in programming, you don't need to know too much math, but I might be wrong.

Laijin

Smash Hero
Do we have any here?
Cause I got some questions.

How much programing should I know before starting college there?
How high a math should I know?
And some other I can't think of right now. Soo yeah. Let me know that stuff.
Sup.
I think I should be in the best position to answer your questions since I'm almost done with the game dev program and I"m in Final Project right now(You make a game in a team for 5 months).

Q:"How much programing should I know before starting college there?"
A: You don't know any. Most people who come through the program start off knowing absolutely nothing about programming. The ones who do know about programming and have programmed for several years in the past have an easier time than others, but thats only if you have had a job in programming or have been programming for a very long time. Otherwise, just come in fresh and absorb the information :]

Q: "How high a math should I know?"
A: Game Dev requires you to take a math test before they let you in. If you get below a 30, you can't get in. If you get a 30-70, you get placed in a Algebra class before taking Calculus and you also have to take a remedial programming class. If you get a 70 or above you get placed in Calculus and Programming 1.
As long as you get into the program your okay. Having to take Algebra is not the end of the world. So definantly study up your algebra. Full Sail will provide you with a practice test if you request one. They will mail it to your house. Just call them.

Q: Apparently. there is apartments close by, walking distance. How expensive are they?
A: There are no dorms, so everyone lives in apartments and houses(Mostly apartments). The apartments are not too bad. I don't know the rates for them, but obviously their not terrible. There are a ton of apartments around campus where you would only have to walk about 15-30 minutes to get to school. I personally live in a house and ride a bike ;o Everything you need is in the general area around school.

Got any more questions? I'll answer.

I'd like to know this stuff as well, since I plan to go there also.

I know (advanced)Java programming, Basic - Intermediate C++/C#, and to my knowledge, have a 3.something GPA.

I've heard that in programming, you don't need to know too much math, but I might be wrong.
To be a good programmer, you don't have to anything about math.
However, anyone can learn how to program. You will be a MUCH more valuable programmer if you know how to do math. Companies often times train mathematicians to program because its better for them in the end. So learning math is good, but you don't really need it beyond the first few months of full sail to succeed there since thats when you take all your math classes which are surprisingly pretty easy because of the amazing teachers we have. And this is coming from someone who sucks at math. :\
But yes. Please be sure to study up on your math skills ;o

zyzzx

Smash Cadet
For apartments... you will probably be paying around 600 a month after utilities with a 2 bedroom apartment and a roommate....

Sandtru27

Smash Lord
i just don't see why people wouldn't just go to an actual college

it's just my opinion

i looked into going to fullsail like 4-5 years ago when i was still in highschool

after their tour or w/e i actually came out of the place NOT wanting to go to full sail

i could elaborate but i won't unless someone wants me to

either way, keep in mind that i'm a finance major now and i got really tired of programming in highschool

**** that **** just make money and relax the rest of my life yeaaaaaaaaaa

Laijin

Smash Hero
People go to full sail because:
1. You get your degree in less than 2 years. Other colleges you will spend 4-5 years on average going to school for your degree. So i'm getting my bachelors before I even turn 21 while the rest of my high school peers won't be seeing their BAs until their like 22-23. Get a job much earlier.

2. FS's game dev program is one of the best programs to get into the game industry in the world.

3. Job placement after graduation for game dev is like 90% or something ridiculously high like that. The other 10% that don't get jobs are your average people who don't try or do any work in school. You get out what you put in.

Those are the top 3 reasons I can think of.

Sandtru27

Smash Lord
1. but that **** isn't a real BA or is severly limited, yea?

2. i guess but would directly competes with it (besides like... digipen?)??

3. i highly doubt it's that high or **** has changed.... i talked with whoever was doing the tour and basically told us if you DO get a job it's likely gonna be ****ting around as an intern or tester or some **** for a year or more -- link to real statistics??

prove me wrong

cause if i am that'd be cool

Laijin

Smash Hero
1. but that **** isn't a real BA or is severly limited, yea?

2. i guess but would directly competes with it (besides like... digipen?)??

3. i highly doubt it's that high or **** has changed.... i talked with whoever was doing the tour and basically told us if you DO get a job it's likely gonna be ****ting around as an intern or tester or some **** for a year or more -- link to real statistics??

prove me wrong

cause if i am that'd be cool
1. No. Its not severly limited at all. You can get a programming job anywhere you want(Video games, computer software, simulation, networking, etc etc). However, the degree is geared towards programming for video games. So thats what they teach you how to do. You can program for bank software or any other boring **** like that, but if your gonna do that then theres no point in learning how to program here. You might as well go for a normal computer science degree.

2. Digipen is the definantly the biggest competitor, but there are lots of other places you can go to school to get into the video game industry. Just because the degree is'nt labeled "Game Development" does'nt mean going to other schools won't get you in either. Off the top of my head: Georgia Tech, USC and MIT are also pretty good schools. You'll learn general computer science there. Which means you'll be programming and learning general programming, which is geared towards general development of anything and those are all 4-5 year schools(some even more expensive than full sail).

3. I pulled that number out my ***. But its pretty high. I personally know a ton of graduates and they all got jobs. As long as your willing to relocate, we have an entire department dedicated to helping students get job interviews. GDC, The Game Developer's conference which happens twice a year usually also gets students jobs since they always do a ton of job interviews on the spot. As long as your not ******** and you try in school and your also a competent programmer by the time you graduate, you should be fine with getting a job. The people who normally don't get jobs are the ones who don't try in school and are not competent programmers by any means and somehow still manage to graduate by just barely sliding through. Even still, they sometimes even get jobs(usually not as a programmer though..lol).

edit:
Lets not fill this thread with Full Sail hate bull****.
I hate that argument since its really annoying.

This guy is asking some questions. If you want to discuss things with me personally(like if you have any questions about anything I said), you can send me a PM.

Sandtru27

Smash Lord
lol how am i hating? i ended my "hate" telling you to disprove me

just throwing out some stuff that i know/have heard about the place

Laijin

Smash Hero
oh. sorry. I'm quick to judge that.
Some people really dislike full sail mainly because of the other degree programs. The only program I can really vouche for is game dev. All the other programs are...eh...especially about getting jobs after graduating from like Film or Recording Arts. People really love to ***** at me about stuff I don't care about when it comes to that. So I apologize for telling you that.
I hope I answered your questions. I feel like some full sail representative thats advertising the school. lol.

zyzzx

Smash Cadet
haha yeah a lot of people seem to not like full sail around here... I've really enjoyed the program I'm in so far and have learned a lot, all of the teachers and labbies have been really cool and know what they're doing. The farther I get in the program, the more I'm glad I came here... but yeah.... you get out what you put in

Nihongo-ookami

Smash Journeyman
How much is tuition, generally?

The site's not helping me with that...

I can do math, I just don't like it too much, XD.

What are the prerequisites for the Game Dev. program? GPA, SAT scores or anything like that?

Sandtru27

Smash Lord
lol tuition is out your ***

i'm confident that prereq's are very low

UNF OGH OH OH OH OH OH EAT **** FULL SAIL GRRRRRR

lol w/e class son wereu@???

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
I'm also planning to apply there... but my parents don't know about it yet. >.>;

It's a secret to everyone.

:069:

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
If you have a job, try to make it look like you support yourself, saying that you pay rent to your parents, this way you can get a lot of FAFSA to get yourself through it. Exploitation of the system, oh yeah!

Shadowex3

Smash Apprentice
For once bifocals actually has something real to say, ZOMG STOP THE PRESSES!

Alright, THIS is where I live. Right next to fullsail pretty much. My apartment complex is nice, has professional staff, amazing landscaping, and decent amenities (unlimited water, garbage compactor, gameroom, comes with washer/dryer) and a 2bed 2bath is only like $800something a month. Less if you get the free X months on signup deal and calculate that out over the whole term.

The only problem with it is... the fullsailers. Its so bad that they hired private security to keep an eye on the place and patrol 24/7 just to deal with the constant beer-bottle smashing apartment trashing parties that got thrown at all hours of the night by fullsail students. So yeah speaking from first hand experience of having bottles smashed on my door and almost on my head by tweaked out neighbors over the last ~4+ years fullsail's negative reputation, and the reputation of their students, is very thoroughly earned.

Of the non-drugs and partying students I've known and several staff members I've met they universally told me fullsail was overpriced and underaccredited, and that they had more luck getting minimum wage jobs NOT listing the fullsail degree than they did getting ANYTHING with it on their resume.

As far as their mythically high hiring rates... if it's too good to be true it probably is. I wouldn't be suprised of most of their hires were either out of field or straight back into fullsail. Most of the real industry professionals (and we're talking gabe and carmack here, not some low level EA manager drone) have even said in interviews across the web that they much prefer people who get a related degree from a real 4 year university than from some fullsail style school.

Save your ~$60K/year and go to a state college and get a masters in something related to what you want to do and get involved with a good mod team for your engine of choice if you want to make games.

Sandtru27

Smash Lord
For once bifocals actually has something real to say, ZOMG STOP THE PRESSES!

Alright, THIS is where I live. Right next to fullsail pretty much. My apartment complex is nice, has professional staff, amazing landscaping, and decent amenities (unlimited water, garbage compactor, gameroom, comes with washer/dryer) and a 2bed 2bath is only like $800something a month. Less if you get the free X months on signup deal and calculate that out over the whole term.

The only problem with it is... the fullsailers. Its so bad that they hired private security to keep an eye on the place and patrol 24/7 just to deal with the constant beer-bottle smashing apartment trashing parties that got thrown at all hours of the night by fullsail students. So yeah speaking from first hand experience of having bottles smashed on my door and almost on my head by tweaked out neighbors over the last ~4+ years fullsail's negative reputation, and the reputation of their students, is very thoroughly earned.

Of the non-drugs and partying students I've known and several staff members I've met they universally told me fullsail was overpriced and underaccredited, and that they had more luck getting minimum wage jobs NOT listing the fullsail degree than they did getting ANYTHING with it on their resume.

As far as their mythically high hiring rates... if it's too good to be true it probably is. I wouldn't be suprised of most of their hires were either out of field or straight back into fullsail. Most of the real industry professionals (and we're talking gabe and carmack here, not some low level EA manager drone) have even said in interviews across the web that they much prefer people who get a related degree from a real 4 year university than from some fullsail style school.

Save your ~$60K/year and go to a state college and get a masters in something related to what you want to do and get involved with a good mod team for your engine of choice if you want to make games.
i have new (wow... i typo'd this as "no respect" my bad lol that makes me look like such an ***.... srsly tho, mad respect... it's just easier to type "no respect" i guess :\) respect for bifocals

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
the game design program is only $35,995.00 with books, lab fees and other **** included.
EDIT- Oh wait, that was in 2003

Shadowex3

Smash Apprentice
Look at it this way dude, we all have a supply of Win. I have ZERO win in smash, hence being Bifocals. All of that win has to go somewhere so i have mad skillz for the rest of my life.

Top Bottom