• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Yom-Bum!" The Yoshi Film Analysis Channel.

Acryte

Smash Ace
Man V3ctorman your yoshi is legit, kinda lame though how perfect yoshi has to play after using his jump :S if he had an up B and could jump outta shield he'd be at a whole nother tier probably.

Here Rests A Cemetery

Banned via Administration
Man V3ctorman your yoshi is legit, kinda lame though how perfect yoshi has to play after using his jump :S if he had an up B and could jump outta shield he'd be at a whole nother tier probably.
Even if Yoshi just had an Up B, he'd raise another tier.

Combine that with viable OoS options, and you have a pretty decent character.

V3ctorMan

Smash Champion
I'll be updating this later on today w/the large movie channel featuring each of the yoshi players... etc.. ^^
Also:

I have new videos.. that I hope you all will enjoy :) ^^

I'll update more later :)

you all are soo kind and supportive.. It means alot.. (I know I keep saying this) BUT IT REALLY DOES!.. <3
Updated OP... more matches vs Axe... finally added parrying into my game for keeps...hope you all enjoy

NEWEST!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDNM4Ojvyoc <---- vs Axe Falco
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVbdG2cXrQM <---- vs Axe Fox
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cd7IbzmNb4o <---- vs Axe Pikachu

These above ^^^^^^ are the newest I've had so far and I hope to continue more.. ^^ thanks everyone for the support ^^

Ok.. I'm gonna start what I promised... ^^

V3ctorMan

Smash Champion
After multiple debates I decided to go through with it and make a Yoshi combo video since many of you seemed to show interest in seeing one.. So here it is.. I hope everyone enjoys it.. ^^ Enjoy.. Comment/critique please.. I love comments ^^

Special thanks to "Rooktionary" for the intruiging video idea.. ^^; Hope you're doing well.

Thanks all of you for all the support/ideas and everything you've all done... and continue to do for me in this community...You are all so awesome and supportive.. :)

Well here it is - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTPfP_a6HBQ

Enjoy! ^^;

EDIT: I started the Yoshi Ultimate Collection... ALL YOSHI players, please post any vids that you would like in the OP. so I can make this ultimate collection as best as possible... for the time being.. I will link whatever I can find on youtube and post.. but i'd love all of your help. n_n

YOSHIDO

Smash Ace
Hey everyone. Heres me getting my ****ed stomped in by Dr. Pee Pee. Do yall have any suggestions critques and what not. I know i need to stop rolling so much. But In this match. I just got stopped in everyway. Even at the end with ledge eggs to fair. He back aired the mess out me. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbKhVFnJWb0

Nogzor'z

Smash Journeyman
I've watched the matches a few times (and probably will watch a few more times)

I'll just say that, To me, the falco matchup requires yoshi to more in an evasive manner constantly. And while it may be hard to get away and keep falco at bay on Yoshi's island, I feel it's important to make him work for a successful approach. I guess I'm suggesting To use some "flashy" wavelanding around on platforms and such.

Also, I believe some instances where you probably could've DI'ed falco's Shine away more and avoided a followup. (Namely the first stock in the first match.)

Quite a nicely executed parry in the second match. And while you may have been able to follow up that nair with more MAYBE, It is nice to see it implemented.
On that note, I noticed some reflected lasers and expected you to jump along with the reflection but didn't. I can't remember off the top of my head but i believe its possible to jump out of shield while reflecting falco's lasers. This should help you appropriately act to how the opponent reacts to the reflected laser (if they are close)

Can't think of anything else, but surely others will add their advice.

Mind Trick

Smash Ace
I've watched the matches a few times (and probably will watch a few more times)

I'll just say that, To me, the falco matchup requires yoshi to more in an evasive manner constantly. And while it may be hard to get away and keep falco at bay on Yoshi's island, I feel it's important to make him work for a successful approach. I guess I'm suggesting To use some "flashy" wavelanding around on platforms and such.

Also, I believe some instances where you probably could've DI'ed falco's Shine away more and avoided a followup. (Namely the first stock in the first match.)

Quite a nicely executed parry in the second match. And while you may have been able to follow up that nair with more MAYBE, It is nice to see it implemented.
On that note, I noticed some reflected lasers and expected you to jump along with the reflection but didn't. I can't remember off the top of my head but i believe its possible to jump out of shield while reflecting falco's lasers. This should help you appropriately act to how the opponent reacts to the reflected laser (if they are close)

Can't think of anything else, but surely others will add their advice.
Pretty much agree with all of this. First point is the most important, you can't get pinned down by falco or he will have you covered on all options, need to stay on your feet.

Try to cut down using your shield to a minimum, only for stuff like parry, shieldgrabbing smashes, and lightshielding on platforms if you feel unsafe.
Also after powershielding lasers you wanna wavedash our of it for better positioning or even a ftilt/dtilt out of it.
Last thing is practise those ece's for more speed and consistency, you can't have them make you sd in a tourney match.

YOSHIDO

Smash Ace
Lol Thanks, And your right Nogzor, It is good to jump out of sheild from lazer. Its just when ever i tried to jump to runaway he caught me with a lazer in air. Especially on yoshi's I got caught alot of the times in mid jump. And with the egglay sd at the end of the first one. It was more of me kinda being a little bit destroyed mentally. It was like dang, I'm getting destroyed. It was kind of the same thing with the no jump out of sheild. And I did completely forget about di'ing the shine. But thanks for comments. I guess instead of land sheild, I could do land shield jump.

But other than that. How else do yall think I could get back my movement in this match. I had really problems getting any momentum going. Like say from a 0-30 percent combo. If i ever retaliated with an attack, it was cut down. Whenever I moved i was shot then cut down. I guess what i need to do is be more patient when retreating. That way he doesn't have 100% controll of the flow.

darkgirku

Smash Journeyman
If you use your double jump before getting hit by a laser, you'll just absorb it with his super armor frames and get away onto a platform. That's one way of getting away from falco trying to lock you down with lasers. Just be careful, as always when it comes to using yoshi's double jump.

It's kinda hard to just outright beat falco's moves as yoshi. Im not sure of what moves beat out his dair, if any. Other than Egglay ofc, but yeah. lol. Maybe reverse Usmash
You gotta bait the shffls and then attack. You can can attack using your speed on platforms, or do a pivot fsmash/grab. Sometimes you can simply just fsmash, using his pullback to dodge the shffld attack.

Otherwise, You can also use either a DJCC or a parry to start a combo and/or get some momentum going.

YOSHIDO

Smash Ace
Thanks for the tip about dj through lasers for better positioning. I'll have to research at what percentage that stops double jump. I'm guessing over 100% or somethin.

Also with regular or even decent falcos It is posible to get good pivots on. But In Dr.PeePee's case. He never just approached blindly with nothing but an aerial that's what separates good Falcos from nasty. Lol when I tried the rear back foward smash or up smash. I got shot all up in my neck mid way. Then he continued to destroy. Oh one new thing that i did try however that did work. Was Forward smash after djc land in front of sheild. People are like Ooooo Grab. Then the counter attack hits.

I do agree about parrying to start a combo. I believe thats the only reason why I even took a stock off. As far as DJCC goes its not the best option. If you know what aerial he's going for then sure it will work once or twice. But falco has enough mobility to hit hit hit and completely stop you counter attack. That's another reason why this matchup is soo bad. Firstly falco doesn't have to ever commit to an approach. Secondly theres no rule that says people have to land on yoshi's sheild with an aerial. True they will at somepoint swing from the air. But Smart players do adapt. It's not like friendlies where someone will just keep taking djc nair counter combo's. Eventually they whiff and space aerials agains yoshi. So that when u do go for that counter they shine, block, run, or If they are a good character, Attack again.

Lol I'll still play this match in friendlies and do more research, But for now At Pound 5 I do plan to use my secondary vs Falco. Oh and by the way Yesterday I freaking broke a sheild with pressure. It was soo sick. I felt quite proud of myself.

Nogzor'z

Smash Journeyman
I don't think Lasers ever stop Yoshi's double jump.
Heh... good luck with the research. Personally, The Falco Vs Yoshi match is one of my favorites.

YOSHIDO

Smash Ace
Lol yeah it's fun vs A and B rank Falco's. But that SS class is hard as crap lol. But if You're telling me lasers never stop double jump, Then I believe I might be able to have fun again in this match. I won't be so grounded and on his terms. His character will still be faster. And can cut out my moves. But I can scare him. And pressure him but taking up space.

Awww man, could there be a rainbow at the end of the bleak nasty storm that is Dr.PeePee's Falco.

Hmm my favorite match up Is Yoshi vs Samus, And Link too. There's just so many things and setups going on. Captain falcon fun too. Peach is a ***** though.

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
I have found your sanctuary yoshido. I will know understand your Yoshi playstyle from the inside out and use it against you. MWAHAHAHA.

But yea seriously, I'll probably tell you this tomorrow before you read this but you shielded way too much in that match. That ain't Peach and neither are you.

darkgirku

Smash Journeyman
Was just thinking, being above falco is probably best, on platform stages. I think nair to nair, is a trade, and maybe yoshi's nair beats out dair? From above at least. Wavedashing on platforms speed to evade and get above him.

I dunno about final destination lol. Except using djc's to go through his lasers and counter attack before he can land and shield. I think that and parry would become key vs falco on FD

/rambling

YOSHIDO

Smash Ace
The bad thing about about Final D though is that I have to use dj just get move. Eventually he will catch and hurt me. Especially after 60 percent. I could see getting gimped reall good. Parry would available more. But again on final D. I have no where to even hide. I was playing Thesage's peach on findal D and yoshi's today. Even though it's a different bad matchup. Yoshi still wants to attack from way above or way below. Never on the same plain. Only bad thing about FD. Once yoshi commits it's kinda noticeable. And it's highly unsafe to go on the offense.

As far as high ground play vs falco. It seems like it would be a viable way to live. Nair will win only if i hit him first though. And at the head. Other than that, I believe he can cut through with many attacks. Thats the only other thing about Playing on the higher grounds. There's nothing stoping him from full or double jump to waveshine on platform. Or come up with any move. Ofcoarse from there I would retreat underneath. Hmmm This sound fun lol. The match will be about how long can i keep falco from landing anything on me. And how long will it take to catch falco with an attack

darkgirku

Smash Journeyman
lol yeah. I personally don't have much experience at all vs falco as yoshi. on the other hand, I have a lot of experience as falco vs yoshi (almost too much P: )

It's pretty bad for yoshi... but yoshi can sometimes be friggin yoshi lol.

The DJC counters are something i suggest from a lot of theorizing and some experience. I don't have anything conclusive about the technique in this matchup, but I've always felt that DJCC's can be utilized a lot more properly than it is currently being used. I'm a big proponent of recommending more yoshis to experiment more with DJCCs. But that's just me xD

leffen

Smash Champion
the falco matchup isnt that hard at the highest level yoshido, its actually way harder at "A" level than SS.
I'd say its 60-40 PAL 65-35 NTSC.

You should camp the ledge / use the platforms or you will certainly die. Falco ***** the neutral position ... parrying / djcc arent really reliable tools if the falco is campy : / Eggs really **** in this matchup ( from the edge ) since it makes him commit.

Falcos combos can **** yoshi if you are bad at DIing but if you have consistent smash DI + DI away he really shouldnt be able to land anything lethal. Your combos on the other hand should and need to be consistent 0-deaths or you will get **** on more or less, you cant afford to miss any edgeguards/punishes.

note:uair tech chases should always be reaction, if you try to read you will miss too many punishes so perfect your tech chasing.

also:learn to parry his to wavedash, it really changes the matchup.

YOSHIDO

Smash Ace
Thanks for the tips about the platform camping. Nogourz, And whoever else was discussing this with me suggested it too. The only thing is even though falco doesn't have great attacks undearneath me. Yoshi doesn't have any reall safe airs but nair. And even that can be cut through.

I completely disagree about the idea of relying on ledge eggs though. I know they're good and what not. But they are completely unsafe. It would be too easy for falco to nair, dair, shine or laser me while doing so. I understand going from top or mid platform to ledge to running again. But at mid distances say a platform away, that would be suicide to start ledge eggs in his face. At best he stands still. But eventually i'll have to get off the ledge. And that's where he will analyze and react appropriately.

I've spoken with some other peeps b4. I do believe it would be good to try and add up airs more, maybe under a high laser or something. But again it's always risky because he can destroy all of yoshi's aerials.

I do agree with you about the technique parry wavedash. Only thing though is that it's a complete guess. It is semi safe if he hits the sheild, But he can punish hard otherwise. And also i think it's pretty near immposible to parry wavedash after techchase since you'll still be teching. Even with neutral tech your still vunurable before you can move. If you were just talking about his uair or something then i understand ya.

In a situation where he's performing up air under me while I'm on a platform Shiri stated that parry doesn't work if a move cannot connect with your upper part. I haven't tested this myself, but I trust shiri.

Oh and Note, I don't know who it was lol, But Someone stated that yoshi's foward air beats peach's air's. The answer is NO. Lol the only time yoshi wins the air match is if he is striking below her hip in the air. Or hitting her head. Other than that, he's freaking free. But yeah I'm glad people are somewhat discussing on the boards. 2 woots for Vman lol.

leffen

Smash Champion
T. Yoshi doesn't have any really safe airs but nair. And even that can be cut through.

You shouldnt approach anyone from directly above lol. Bair, fair and uair are all more safe than nair btw.

I completely disagree about the idea of relying on ledge eggs though. I know they're good and what not. But they are completely unsafe. It would be too easy for falco to nair, dair, shine or laser me while doing so. I understand going from top or mid platform to ledge to running again. But at mid distances say a platform away, that would be suicide to start ledge eggs in his face. At best he stands still. But eventually i'll have to get off the ledge. And that's where he will analyze and react appropriately.

tbh:
If you dont know **** about how to use yoshis edgegame I think you shouldnt say anything about it at all. First of - its totally safe. Second - Yoshi is at advantage at the edge and you getting read by a much better player doesnt change that.

I've spoken with some other peeps b4. I do believe it would be good to try and add up airs more, maybe under a high laser or something. But again it's always risky because he can destroy all of yoshi's aerials.

Upair wins over any attack falco has. How is that risky?

I do agree with you about the technique parry wavedash. Only thing though is that it's a complete guess. It is semi safe if he hits the sheild, But he can punish hard otherwise.

again- you dont know about this either. If you try to parry -> wavedash and he doesnt hit your shield you just wavedash. During the 3 parry frames you can jump even if nothing hits your shield.

And also i think it's pretty near immposible to parry wavedash after techchase since you'll still be teching. Even with neutral tech your still vunurable before you can move.

I dont understand this at all lol. ofc you cant If you were just talking about his uair or something then i understand ya.

In a situation where he's performing up air under me while I'm on a platform Shiri stated that parry doesn't work if a move cannot connect with your upper part. I haven't tested this myself, but I trust shiri.

Sounds right. If he ever uairs you when your at a shield when your at a platform then you should just shield drop -> nair /uair.
Sorry if this sounds offensive in anyway, didnt really mean to.

YOSHIDO

Smash Ace
Sorry if this sounds offensive in anyway, didnt really mean to.
lol wow U really believe ledge edges work on falco or anyone for that matter. You must only play freindlies or some crap. lol you probably also think yoshi's airs are good. But anyway theres no use arguing. When you do play people out side your group. You'll find what works and what doesn't. And what i was saying about the wave dash is that back wavedash or forward wavedash still allows for you nose to get caught. Hence why you can't do that against falcon unless he hasn't begun his jump.

darkgirku

Smash Journeyman
lol Uair really is pretty great against falco. wins/trades against his dair? either way, you can put on some nasty pressure just following him around while he's trying to get back down to you, following double jumps and whatnot.

As for Edge canceled egg camping, I don't know much about that, But eggs (not neccesarily edge canceled) are good against falco to put on some pseudo pressure when he jumps. And you can follow up with em nicely if it hits, especially since the splash damage from eggs can surprise your opponent. Egg combos are hilarious.

leffen

Smash Champion
lol wow U really believe ledge edges work on falco or anyone for that matter. You must only play freindlies or some crap. lol you probably also think yoshi's airs are good. But anyway theres no use arguing. When you do play people out side your group. You'll find what works and what doesn't. And what i was saying about the wave dash is that back wavedash or forward wavedash still allows for you nose to get caught. Hence why you can't do that against falcon unless he hasn't begun his jump.
shut up you ignorant and close minded dip****.

You think you know so much with your AWESOME experience and placing last in 9001 tournaments eh? Who the hell do you think you are honestly? Are you so good cause you got 4 stocked by a good player who didnt even seem to try?

Oh and yeah, i've totally not played anyone outside my group. Armada, Calle W, Amsah, Zgetto, Fuzzyness all live in my basement. And I get four stocked while spamming smashes, just like you. Btw the Leffen that placed 9th at BEAST was my twin brother so I totally have no idea about high level play or how falco plays at all.

Nevermind, I just realized you are from the USA, I should've known that you just like the majority of you don't give **** for any logical reasoning cause too blinded by your huge ego. As fast as your arguments fail you fall to personal insults.

But yeah you are right. There is no use in continuing this debate, because you obviously don't know **** about your own language. Learn some grammar and how to spell so you can actually understand your arguments and so that you can realize what the **** I'm talking bout.

No wonder people think Yoshi-Falco is impossible or that Yoshi is a crap character when we had people like you representing him before V3ctorman began playing him.

And oh yeah, this is offensive.

YOSHIDO

Smash Ace
shut up you ignorant and close minded dip****.

You think you know so much with your AWESOME experience and placing last in 9001 tournaments eh? Who the hell do you think you are honestly? Are you so good cause you got 4 stocked by a good player who didnt even seem to try?

Oh and yeah, i've totally not played anyone outside my group. Armada, Calle W, Amsah, Zgetto, Fuzzyness all live in my basement. And I get four stocked while spamming smashes, just like you. Btw the Leffen that placed 9th at BEAST was my twin brother so I totally have no idea about high level play or how falco plays at all.

Nevermind, I just realized you are from the USA, I should've known that you just like the majority of you don't give **** for any logical reasoning cause too blinded by your huge ego. As fast as your arguments fail you fall to personal insults.

But yeah you are right. There is no use in continuing this debate, because you obviously don't know **** about your own language. Learn some grammar and how to spell so you can actually understand your arguments and so that you can realize what the **** I'm talking bout.

No wonder people think Yoshi-Falco is impossible or that Yoshi is a crap character when we had people like you representing him before V3ctorman began playing him.

And oh yeah, this is offensive.
.... Lol okay

Nogzor'z

Smash Journeyman

Pogogo

Smash Journeyman
Just watching a lot of ur initial vids vman. Good stuff but ur edgegaurds are weak, relatively speaking. Or rather they are just eggs. If u miss ur eggs u doomed. Yoshi, having no triple jump is a tough sell for offstage stuff but you never use the dair or nair edgegaurd. It obviously depends how they recover but just sitting by the ledge threatening dtilt can be the best option and you can react with a falling dair/nair if they try to recover high. You always ECE at least against falco fox.

You love the dthrow uair combo on fastfallers which is prob best option low percent(duh) but consider moving forward fsmash at around 80-90 depending on DI then edgegaurd for kill. One of yoshi's problem is stock extension and you should not see ur oponents (at least fox falco) alive at 160%. Strong nairs? I dunno u seemed to be doing that but missed the edgegaurd. Ur eggs are sick though I could never do that. But mix it up(maybe?).

Oh yeah. You also rarely hit your fairs. I dunno use more? less? better? (all this is against fox/falco)Obs they are guarenteed combos but so is utilt, dthrow (DI dependent and percent dependent of course) and u seem to hit more dthrow. Its a really slowish move so nair uair easier. Comments?

One last thing, does the lack of combos on floaties make yoshi only viable on fflers? I mean hes just worse in every way when you consider jiggs yoshi or peach yoshi and then shiek cg. What do you think?

V3ctorMan

Smash Champion
glad to hear your comments Pogogo, I'm definetely workin on that as we speak... :)

I'll try to have more "recent" videos up sometime this week, and show my progress. :)

thanks again man n_n

Pogogo

Smash Journeyman
Dtilt is just too good lolz. I spam that all dai.

I dunno yoshis edgegaurding is really limited.

V3ctorMan

Smash Champion
Some more vids from me... Prolly the last from me.... for a good bit... I hope this will motivate/help everyone out...if even a little bit..^^

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGjnB4dyRjU - vs Falco/Fox

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHlN3oEe_GM - vs Fox

Enjoy! I'd like to discuss some material following this week.. Hopefully we can get some stuff started.. ^^
^This is copy/pasted from the ask Vman thread^... Also belongs here.

EDIT: Rockstar I NEVER saw that post... I'm on it like RIGHT NOW.. OMG.. I'm so sorry on the wait.. :(

DOUBLE EDIT: You removed it.. >.>; it has been a while tho... next time.. i won't forget... again.. my apologies..

gcm29

Smash Rookie
Im obv new to these forums (though i registered a while ago, my computer kept messing up.

Anyways, because i saw "eggstinction" the other day, i decided to save up my money and by a gcube and meleee just because of how inspiring that vid was. I used to main ness, and could beat my friend's fox's falco's and the like, but in tourneys, i always got to top cut, but could never be #1. I intend to main yoshi now because of you. KEEP IT UP V3MAN!

V3ctorMan

Smash Champion
Oh wow, Sorry Gcm, welcome.. sorry on the late response..

I'm glad you liked Eggstinction... man, I'm glad I inspired you to play Yoshi, I've faith in you man ^^

and thank you i'll keep doing my best man.. ^^

On another note.. here below... ^^

ust posting here.. My set with Hbox was recorded.. ^^

well sorta.. missing a game.. but hey.. it's cool.. I think I lost 2-1 anyway enjoy^^

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFRjXRIvgTI

gcm29

Smash Rookie
Yes, i finally got a gamecube, yoshi is so weird ): But he is really cool as well. I love ledge grabbing with RECE, its such a troll edge guard. It's odd, his moves are quite fast, but i keep getting out-prioritized by everything. But i will keep on fighting and getting better.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Best thing to do when you're getting outprioritized is to just spam dash attack/dash grab/running d-tilt. Egglay is okay when people shield and you're in the air too.

Problem with Yoshi's aerials, like nair, is that the hitboxes aren't great. You have to come in at weird angles to ever land them.

Top Bottom