• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi General Discussion Thread!!

SheerMadness

Smash Master
Parrying lasers would be better then powershielding. You can even parry reflect lasers, just like a powershield.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Parrying a laser -> upsmash would catch Falco off guard definitely. But if I'm correct, parried lasers should only get reflected back if they hit in the middle of Yoshi's shield.

Lordydennek

Smash Ace
My problem is the approach. It seems like nairing doesnt work unless i drop it on top of him. which he sheilds then shines me into pillar blah blah blah. also where should i try to recover from?

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Powershield wavedashing is a reliable approach against Falco.

Especially if you pace yourself and know when you move in, when to back out, and when to close the gap between the two characters, you can actually force Falco to either scare you out of powershield wavedashing or to resort to whatever plan B he has on doing damage.

As for an attacking approach, you don't really have one because Falco's legs are ridiculous and beat everything.

Recovery doesn't have a "best" place (low, horizontally, or high) in this matchup. For high recoveries, he has his superman jump, for low recoveries, he has falling shine and double jump aerials, and for horizontal recoveries, he has that back air and if he feels like being really lazy, he can perform a perfectly safe forward smash at the edge and put himself at zero risk, even if it doesn't hit you.

SheerMadness

Smash Master
I was under the impression that its how hard you hit shield as to whether or not a parry will reflect projectiles. If you press it all the way down the parry will reflect but if you dont it wont.

Lordydennek

Smash Ace
lol so basically i cant recover...well alright ill just have to beast him on stage. how about dairing him when hes lasering? like coming in from above?

also. I dont get the parry. It doesnt work for me. how do you do it? the description on the thread didnt make sense to me.

bahamutz69

Smash Journeyman
yoshi really doesnt have many recovery choices :\
just dont lose your DJ lol and mix up cute air dodges with down b to the ledge
maybe dairs to the stage cuz no one really wants to jump into that

but yoshi is usually a defensive characters so its more reacting than approaching
buttt his RDJCs are a total mind **** and can sometimes function as an aerial dashdance kindaaa
but RDJC nair is made cute, as is fair but you have to be much higher to fair which can make it somewhat predictable
the pay off is greater though
bairs are cute, but ive never liked approaching with dairs :\

yoshis so tight, i need to pick him back up
this threads legit :]

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Yea Yoshi's approaches aren't very good. His dash attack and running dtilt aren't horrible. But in the air Yoshi lacks range and his speed is dependent on how well you control his DJC.

SheerMadness

Smash Master
also. I dont get the parry. It doesnt work for me. how do you do it? the description on the thread didnt make sense to me.
Post in the thread and ask questions then. Thats why I made it.

Mind Trick

Smash Ace
Don't approach and camp the ledge is what I do when there's no other option xD
Never recover from below though against falco's that know about the shine, downB is really good as is taking a hit and nairing right after.

Use the platforms if you can't get reliable powershields, get a hit in and **** that bird.

DstyCube

Smash Journeyman
lalso. I dont get the parry. It doesnt work for me. how do you do it? the description on the thread didnt make sense to me.
The first few frames of yoshi's shield animation can be canceled by jumping. During these frames you are also invincible. In theory you block any attack with super shield (2-3 frame window) and leaving your opponent open to a counter attack.

His dash attack and running dtilt aren't horrible.
Dash attack quite ineffective if it's cc'd and comes with some nasty lag begging to be punished. It's hurt me more times than it has helped me. Although it makes an awesome ledge guard against fox's up b recovery lol.

*EDIT* Falco matchup:
If you ever find yourself stuck in a pillar, try your best not to djc out of it as his shine will most likely gimp it. Spamming upair usually tends to work for me in most situations. It's a nice counter that can lead into some nasty combos.

Lordydennek

Smash Ace
aight. thanks bout the pillar advice. I try to use the dash attack when ppl are coming down from the air. or right after they do an aerial. If you know someones ccing just grab them.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Supershielding has a six frame window. Powershielding has a four frame window.

Yes, dash attack is best used against falling opponents. If they're grounded, you really shouldn't use it, even to punish something.

A note about Falco shine combos is that the best way to get out of them is to sandbag the combo until you actually get hit by the shine. Shine is one of the most DIable moves in the game--that is to say, you can get very severe angles of knockback from shine if you time your DI input and double stick in the appropriate directions. It should be VERY difficult (and I'm being serious) for Falco to combo you beyond a few hits at a time at medium percents if you DI shine properly.

Regarding recovery, I should have made a note of what I was thinking when I was typing. I didn't mean to make it look hopeless, I just wanted you to know there was no real safe way to recover. You can certainly make it back on the stage when you get knocked off, you just have to be real careful and not fall for traps your opponent sets for you like baiting airdodges or charging certain moves at the edge to scare you. If your opponent isn't very busy near the edge, you should abuse wavelanding onto the stage to either move in on the opponent really quickly or to waveland back to grab the edge for safety.

Lordydennek

Smash Ace
i see. I played like 9000 matches on fd vs my friends falco and only won like twice. i really cant do anything when he spaces those lasers and i NEVER get back unless he misses a guard.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: The best way to is to eventually have it become a strategy.

Once you look at it as an option instead of "OH SH*T LIGHTSHIELD," you do it more often and without the jerky motions that would probably make you fullshield.

If you mean you want an easier way of PHYSICALLY doing it, then just hold the Z button after any action and you will buffer the lightest shield possible. Works best out of rolls, dodges, and attacks. This method also sometimes procs the rapid powershielding phenomenon, but isn't the guarateed way to instantiate it, apparently.

Winnar

Smash Lord
I just press lightly on L (or R if you use R). Like most things it's not difficult if you sit down and try it and then practice it a little bit, and I find it more useful than Z lightshield, which feels a lot more situational

instantiate

good **** shiri I had to look that up to make sure it was a real word lol

edit - guys don't tell anyone but yoshi is a marth counter

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ou7NlGNGBDI

yoshi would have just jumped straight through all that marth has nothing on yoshi anymore

Lordydennek

Smash Ace
I dont think thats the right vid. I just saw marth killing a peach.

I actually meant physically doing it. i can hardly ever get it by lightly pressing the r/l buttons...idk if its me or the controller but it just doesnt work. Ill buffer it with z for awhile and see how that works.

Winnar

Smash Lord
no it's definitely the right video

notice carefully that if that had been yoshi in both cases marth would have been dooooooomed

Lordydennek

Smash Ace
oooo lol i see what you were saying. I guess thats true. I dont mind the marth matchup that much. takes patience. but djing thru his Ken Combo is great. anddddd the dtilt is the best thing in the world.

Lordydennek

Smash Ace
Ok got some stuff to report. Used dat yosh on some spacie *****es and did pretty well. playing really fast and aggressive against fox seems to work really well...idk why. FINALLY beat a captain falcon. eggs are of more use than i first thought. tilts rock. but dtilt is rather situational. utilt spam against the back of his sheild never goes wrong. staying on the ground against cfal is soo necessary. had some rather bad peach matches... that nair is just dumb. so any help on those matches i mentioned would be cool

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Peach can be tough. Just gotta try to out range her and hit her as hard as you can as often as you can.

Good stuff against space b*tches, though.

Lordydennek

Smash Ace
Basically BF>fox/falco. Yoshi pwns there so hard. FOD is pretty good too. Basically that peach had my number. i didnt use enough eggs. but the problem was that dsmash of hers keeps u off the ground and the nair keeps you out of the air...where do you go??

Bloshi

Smash Ace
Be in the air when shes on the ground and on the ground when shes in the air. Its so simple. Problem is peach has a jump, and gravity exists in melee, so its not as simple as that. Use mindgames son! Empty jumps, dashing usmash, you have the tools, nay the technology to beat her!

DstyCube

Smash Journeyman
I like the spacie boots. Btw fox and falco have heavy robot legs, this is why they fall so fast.

YOSHIDO

Smash Ace
I perfer short stages where its harder for him to get his momentum going. Like Fountain of Dreams, Yoshi story, battle Field. And Personally I only like to approach after he has thrown his attack or while he is landing. Cuz i swear i get grabbed in any other situation. He can even grab from behind. I'm also going to try and be more mobile and faster to see if that helps in getting in combo opportunity.

DstyCube

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I don't really like playing falcon on a stage with platforms. F-Zero may be worth looking into.

Top Bottom