• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi General Discussion Thread!!

Lordydennek

Smash Ace
Yeah, I don't really like playing falcon on a stage with platforms. F-Zero may be worth looking into.
You dont like stages with platforms?

Yoshis story is pretty solid for Cfalcon imo. BF and FOD seem to work best. PS is no good and neither is FD. Theyre just too big and Yoshi can get creamed. I dont like Brinstar at all with yoshi. What about dk 64?? Ive played there a few times its not too bad. RC? eh... I dont like it for Yoshi either.

Dreamland. I have a hard time deciding to use this against Cfalc. Its kinda big and he can get some momentum going. Then again, Yoshi is pretty good there. what do you guys think?

DstyCube

Smash Journeyman
You dont like stages with platforms?
Against falcon, no. It's no fun being caught on platforms with yoshi's slow tech. Neither is it fun when falcon can DI to platforms to save himself from a few more hits. Mute City is a pretty good stage in general against falcon due to the fact that it's a small stage and that there's no ledges for him to grab when recovering.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: He's not limited as much as he is a punching bag against some characters.

So his chances of winning are probably what's limited, not the actual character.

Winnar

Smash Lord
I dunno, he just feels really slow to me.

Once I get in and start doing yoshi combos I feel awesome, but getting to that point seems like an ultimate test of patience, spacing, timing, and luck

and then I pick marth or fox and it's like

run up shffl a nair I guess, hit, miss, it doesn't matter too much just do another or run away or grab idk

Lordydennek

Smash Ace
The fact that you can win with a character like yoshi means that you are a great player. The top tiers have better moves and better speed and are just better, but its the mental part that makes lower tiers good. We just have to try harder but the reward is twice as sweet. I honestly feel the best when i win with yoshi. Winning with sheik isnt even fun. Yoshi=fun. Top tiers=boring. I think its possible to win tournaments with them too. You just have to be the best. thats all it is.

darkgirku

Smash Journeyman
I love platforms as yoshi. Granted I love platforms when im using any character purely because it's fun to move around on them... but I feel like they give yoshi much more options. Of course they give the top tiers more options as well, but more options for yoshi nonetheless.
Perfect wavelanding on platforms as yoshi is too good.

Shiri

Smash Chump
I dunno, he just feels really slow to me.

Once I get in and start doing yoshi combos I feel awesome, but getting to that point seems like an ultimate test of patience, spacing, timing, and luck

and then I pick marth or fox and it's like

run up shffl a nair I guess, hit, miss, it doesn't matter too much just do another or run away or grab idk
:yoshi: Welcome to broked tier.

Mind Trick

Smash Ace
Its not so much yoshi is limited or bad, it's more that high/top tier characters have broken **** they can abuse to hell... (perhaps parry is the future for us to deal with that **** :o)
I'd say it's near impossible to win tournaments in this metagame with yoshi (especially with Amsah in my neighbourhood pretty much xD), so you better main some one else and have yoshi as a surprise counterpick char.

yoshiiscool

Smash Journeyman
Psh, Mind Trick, I don't wanna hear that outta you. PAL Yoshi has so many advantages compared to NTSC, that it's just crazy. Well, not so much he's better, but more that the other character's were nerfed a bit to balance it. I think you should go to a tourney with NTSC as Yoshi and play some sheiks. It's pretty much complete bull****, and you almost don't even stand a chance if the person knows what he's doing. In that case, I think you're actually the most likely of us to even place at a decent tourney. I'm jealous. Or maybe I just suck :p

Winnar

Smash Lord
Actually yeah I was just about to say PAL yoshi doesn't have to worry about sheik like ntsc does

but amsah is totally beast anyway so </3

Mind Trick

Smash Ace
yayaya I know I got it easy if you check the differences, Yoshi is even stronger and heavier here :D and you don't have to deal with superpower fox and d-throw from that biatch, but it still ain't a walk in the park to fight them, far from it :(
I'm still repping though and practising, just bringing out the bird a bit more against bull**** matchups.

Mind Trick

Smash Ace
I forgot PAL dair is indeed less damaging, but who the **** uses dair anyway and gets all the hits (except for gimmicky stuff like dair platform chasing). Fsmash is stronger though in terms of knockback, and Yoshi himself is heavier, definitely buffed from NTSC. Grabs and shield are the same.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
I was saying from page 17 that you said yoshi isn't limited I think he is fairly limted grabs and sheild wise.

Sorry I didn't see the posts on page 18 till I posted.

yoshiiscool

Smash Journeyman
I think it's more his range that I find lacking... He just gets beat out by the dumbest ****. Maybe I'd care about his grabs more, if they actually lead to something useful vs anyone other than fox and falco, though grabs are an important part of the pressuring game. Yoshi's got his quirks, but luckily, he also has some completely awesome stuff too. I think that's why we all love him so much... not to mention he's too cute.

Lordydennek

Smash Ace
My friends marth figured out some better spacing against ym yoshi and has been winning a lot more lately. I on the other hand have been poorly spacing (what i thought was good spacing). How can I get more fsmashes in?

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Forward smash is a punisher. If you can't punish with it, I can't give you advice on how to use it more often.

When someone is jumping in and has already committed to the attack (i.e., no double jump to LOL @ you with), forward smash is okay. It's also good for when you predict rolls or short hops that go around you. Angling it takes some time to learn, but it's an okay move. It's just best used for the cockback ability and the invuln it has on the face.

Lordydennek

Smash Ace
Well it seems like this marth has caught on to that and when i try to punish he wavelands his second jump instead of 2nd fair. he's good at mixing it up. ugh. i like the dash attach tho. But when he's playing defensively...i cant do anything.

Winnar

Smash Lord
Yeah one good thing you can do is if marth is doing the short hop fair you can dash dance away from the first, towards him in between attacks, and away before the second fair comes out. Dash attack or grab or nair if he does the second fair, dash attack if he does the waveland

It's really tricky though, and requires some really good spacing/timing/reaction time

what else is new

Oh guys I played Iori's mewtwo as yoshi not super long ago. Never go to battlefield against mewtwo. His side b will teleport you under the stage and it's so hard to get back after that without jumping into the stage and losing your jump :(

Bloshi

Smash Ace
This is true. but i have no equipment :( isnt there some way to hook a laptop up to a tv and record?
I've seen people use this AV splitter thing that takes the Wii/GCN av cables in and spits them out to the TV, and spits out a computer friendly wire, with no lag to the TV. I don't know the logistics of it though so you'd be better off asking around the Video Technical subforums. In fact they probably have a sticky there about it.

DstyCube

Smash Journeyman
I've seen people use this AV splitter thing that takes the Wii/GCN av cables in and spits them out to the TV, and spits out a computer friendly wire, with no lag to the TV. I don't know the logistics of it though so you'd be better off asking around the Video Technical subforums. In fact they probably have a sticky there about it.
^^This is my setup.

The Marth fight is not a very fun matchup, it takes a lot of focus to stay out of the danger zones. Look out for grab -> tech chase, its fairly easy for the Marth, missing a tech to roll can screw up his spacing if he tries it on you.

Mid % you can get some uair juggles off I'm pretty sure which leads to eggs.

Neutral B is decent in this matchup if you can land it imo, punish when he comes out with eggs if you want to be safe about it, but i think usmash is fairly safe.

I know it's been said all over the forums, but baiting a fsmash out of Marth can set up for a fsmash counter (it's risky using it in lieu of a dodge, but it does work.)

If you can't figure out what else to do, like Winnar said, just dash dance and wait for him to make a mistake.

yoshiiscool

Smash Journeyman
Nonsense, I like the match, it just depends on the stage, and the style of Marth I'm playing. I really like playing the more aggressive Marths, and I can do them on most stages, but when you get the ridiculously campy and defensive Marths, on a stage like battlefield, or Yoshi's, even I run out of ideas to keep the match fresh by mixing stuffs up. Also my problem is when I get mad I play completely predictable and just wanna be mad aggressive, which just gets me messed up even more. Ahh, the psychology of smash.

Mind Trick

Smash Ace
I get what you mean, it's pretty simple to take over control against a combo happy marth, but the ones that just stand there grounded, swiping away your eggs even are a pain in the *** >_< I guess neutral B and dashdancing just outside their range is your best bet......

Lordydennek

Smash Ace
ill try some more B. Btw. i killed my friends falco the other day by jumping off BF and B-ing him where he got pooped out under the edge of BF and he just died. he said he couldnt even use his upb.... anyone know what happened? my guess was that he dodge or jumped out and hit the bottom of the stage...either way it was ****ing 1337

Edit- neutral B is ultra ****. Also my yoshi got 2x as good over night...idk how it happened but i was doing things i used to only be able of thinking of doing...idk. I made my friend sto playing his fox. he went falco and i won a few matches even took a couple from his sheik! Yoshi power level increasing

Top Bottom