• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi setups

Elefterios

Smash Journeyman
This thread is meant for sharing some of your yoshi setups. I want to know what you do that no one else does. Forget the obvious back air to up tilt bla bla bla combos. we all know that. I'm more interested in how you would land an egg lay and what you would do after. Post some of the mindgames that work regularly against people.

These are some of mine.

Short hop up air fast fall on grounded characters. At the peak of your short hop, try to up air and fast fall at the same time. This works especially well if you short hop away from your opponent and fastfall towards him. great for combo starters and great when your opponent is at high percentage for the kill. I know it doesnt seem like much, but try to incorporate it in a match, change it up....short hop nair, back air, up airs. works great.

Short hop back air to up air. If your opponent is at relatively low percentage, you can back air to up air in one short hop. After that you can try to juggle your opponent. If he's at low enough percentage you can upsmash right after for massive damage.

Egg throw slide offstage. Your opponent is recovering, but he's pretty low and you want to edgeguard him. If you were to fall offstage and throw and egg at him, that egg would act as a jump and you would not go as low as you want to. if you egg throw slide onstage and fall off, you wont get that "jump". If that egg hits your opponent you basically have yourself kill. You'd be low enough to spike him right after.

I'll post some more later. I want to hear some of yours first.

VSC.D-Torr

Smash Hero
Forget the obvious back air to up tilt bla bla bla combos. we all know that.
Bair -> Utilt FTW :chuckle:

In all seriousness though, here is one that I use often: Short Hop Bair fastfalled into a Fsmash. It works most often early in a stock where the forward smash can connect. I don't know how common it is used but I use it quite often.

Dyz69

Smash Rookie
umm well much of mine have been said heres the ones i do when i see the opportunity

Running Dair ( not many approach with dair a si have seen )
i short jump when dashing and do my Dair on the opponent the reaosn why i run is that if
he shields or dodges i will have enough momemtum to slide to his other side leaving me
chance to defend, if i nail it i stop my momemtum with DI

Pivot Roll
when my opponent starts to expect me pivot grabbing, i change it up with this one
i run away while he chases, at a certain distance i use Side B, but i point in the other direction
i end up hitting the opponent since he has to stop running and this causes him lag to do so
most of the time they cant even spotdodge in time i only hit once, but if on low percentages
as soon a si land the hit i quickly turn back to nail a few more, weak but effective

Roll Delay
a new one i been doing i jump, Side B, now you know how the egg roll bounces when your in the air?
well if you push back on on the first bounce yoshi stays in place instead of going foward, before
landing the 2nd bounce i push foward and it propels me with full strenght, sometimes the opponent thinks im
going to hit him with a weak egg roll but by doing this gives me enough distance to charge it
and i either cause them to attack and get punished or just stop the attack either way i get close to pressure

Egg Chase ( im just inventing names dont take it seriously )
when nailing any Uair or smashes i quickly run to their direction jump and throw an egg
this will cause them to dodge the egg or get hit in wich i will use my DJ to Uair or attempt a Spike
im sure you all do this but my difference is, i tend to run use egg toss before hitting the edge
i will slide down with momemtum and use DJ for any means neccesary to counter their recovery

in other words i use Egg chase for both Vertical and Horizontal to finish my opponent

Nair to Dsmash
just like the name implies i short hop and start my Nair early so it leaves enough strenght to
cause them a stun i fast fall when close to hit them with this Nair Stun, and quickly follow up with
a Dsmash, if the opponent stays on the stage when nailing this i use egg roll for additional damage
since most people tend to roll in any direction my egg roll almost always hits
if i am high on percentage and dont want to risk getting counter i simply throw an egg then

thats most of my approaches and mindgames the rest i have gotten them from other yoshi
mainers so im gonna let them explain it, all of these are the ones i use im not sure if anyone
else does them as well ^_^

Elefterios

Smash Journeyman
umm well much of mine have been said heres the ones i do when i see the opportunity

Running Dair ( not many approach with dair a si have seen )
i short jump when dashing and do my Dair on the opponent the reaosn why i run is that if
he shields or dodges i will have enough momemtum to slide to his other side leaving me
chance to defend, if i nail it i stop my momemtum with DI

Pivot Roll
when my opponent starts to expect me pivot grabbing, i change it up with this one
i run away while he chases, at a certain distance i use Side B, but i point in the other direction
i end up hitting the opponent since he has to stop running and this causes him lag to do so
most of the time they cant even spotdodge in time i only hit once, but if on low percentages
as soon a si land the hit i quickly turn back to nail a few more, weak but effective

Roll Delay
a new one i been doing i jump, Side B, now you know how the egg roll bounces when your in the air?
well if you push back on on the first bounce yoshi stays in place instead of going foward, before
landing the 2nd bounce i push foward and it propels me with full strenght, sometimes the opponent thinks im
going to hit him with a weak egg roll but by doing this gives me enough distance to charge it
and i either cause them to attack and get punished or just stop the attack either way i get close to pressure

Egg Chase ( im just inventing names dont take it seriously )
when nailing any Uair or smashes i quickly run to their direction jump and throw an egg
this will cause them to dodge the egg or get hit in wich i will use my DJ to Uair or attempt a Spike
im sure you all do this but my difference is, i tend to run use egg toss before hitting the edge
i will slide down with momemtum and use DJ for any means neccesary to counter their recovery

in other words i use Egg chase for both Vertical and Horizontal to finish my opponent

Nair to Dsmash
just like the name implies i short hop and start my Nair early so it leaves enough strenght to
cause them a stun i fast fall when close to hit them with this Nair Stun, and quickly follow up with
a Dsmash, if the opponent stays on the stage when nailing this i use egg roll for additional damage
since most people tend to roll in any direction my egg roll almost always hits
if i am high on percentage and dont want to risk getting counter i simply throw an egg then

thats most of my approaches and mindgames the rest i have gotten them from other yoshi
mainers so im gonna let them explain it, all of these are the ones i use im not sure if anyone
else does them as well ^_^
my problem with running dair is that it has no knockback, you'll almost always get punished if you stop your momentum. If you don't it would only do 8-10%, not really worth it.
A player that can smash DI properly is another story, dont ever try to down air him.

I sometimes do "pivot rolls" lolz

Roll delay sounds useful. so you're saying that you stop your egg roll when you get close to your opponent? like say he charges a smash and he sees you coming at him, youd stop right before his smash and punish him?

"egg chase" was my 3rd thing in my post

nair to downsmash sounds good. usually after a nair id jab, or forward tilt, or just back away a bit to look like im running away but end up back airing him. more nair setups the better.

Elefterios

Smash Journeyman
Bair -> Utilt FTW :chuckle:

In all seriousness though, here is one that I use often: Short Hop Bair fastfalled into a Fsmash. It works most often early in a stock where the forward smash can connect. I don't know how common it is used but I use it quite often.

wow it actually works.

I'd have to test this on a live opponent though. It does a good 26%, but the combo basically ends there. So I'm not sure if this is the best option at the start of the game. already back air to up air does roughly the same amount and you can continue to juggle your opponent afterwards.

sorry for the double post.

Tidycats29

Smash Cadet
NNID
supadino007
Switch FC
4953-1106-1226
Yeah the nair to down smash works pretty good
it was godly in melee lol

bair to up smash works nice

close egg toss to grab is cool

im sure bwett done this a lot
and im sure most of you might too

recovering with dair and then nairing

nair to down tilt does miracles i tell ya
works very nice and takes opponent off guard

single jab to yoshi bomb is nice as hell

hard to do online for some reason though
the delay screws it

VSC.D-Torr

Smash Hero
wow it actually works.

I'd have to test this on a live opponent though. It does a good 26%, but the combo basically ends there. So I'm not sure if this is the best option at the start of the game. already back air to up air does roughly the same amount and you can continue to juggle your opponent afterwards.

sorry for the double post.
Oh, it's not the best option, oh no. My bread and butter would be the bair -> utilt. I use to throw off the opponent from time to time.

It just goes to show that his bair could pretty much transfer to anything.

Elefterios

Smash Journeyman
single jab to yoshi bomb is nice as hell
I was actually thinking of testing that one day but never got a chance to...then forgot about it. Can work great if your opponent doesnt react fast enough to shield or jab you.

D-throw -> wavebounced egg lay. Wowwiewowwowwow!
wavebounced egg lay? how do you wavebounce an egg lay? dont you mean egg throw?

Dyz69

Smash Rookie
wat to ruin the whole point Sir Orion, the point of this topic is to share all of our
ways to Set up an attack or like they say *links* due that true combos are almost non existant
in Brawl since lact of hit stun but some of these set ups can always rack up extra damage to
our opponents from the start of the stock, wich can gives us a great advantage
i didnt do a few where discussing here

applying them in battle and making them work for each Char and their own amount of DI
will greatly help me in my gameplay, having more tools to strike my opponent then just
my basic Dash AA link will not win me all the battles i need to switch them up with these

and thanks for the reply Elefterios im glad im not the only who uses some of Yoshis moves
like that ^_^ oh and to answer your quesiton of Wavebounce, its what Lucas does he jumps and
uses the C-stick as specials, does pk fire but in the opposite direction he jumped in
the Pk fire will push him Back Lucas mainers use this for recovery
for yoshi its a bit harder but if he jumps and when perfoming DJ points in the opposite
direction and quickly let it go to neutral positon, he can do egg lay with a push and on that
opposite direction it comes in hadny but pushing back then letting go while also
jumping and pressing B, can be hard since most of the times you egg roll instead

and one last thing about my *Roll delay* i would do that in wich i stop my egg roll if i see him
charge but the Fsmashes are usually faster by the time i break my egg, it is most likely one of us will make the first move, and who ever gets the mistake loses on that tricky mindgame but i ment it in another way let me refrase it

when your in the air no matter what the distance and use side B, you will notice that yoshi bounces once and then lands and goes straight foward, the amount of bounces is determined by how declined the platform is kind of like ladders Yoshi would bounce for a long time
However if you short jump and quickly Egg roll, on this 1st bounce pull back from where you were pointing, once you see the first bounce stay completly still, point in the next direciton you want to go
either foward or back i do this because sometimes they are charing their Fsmash from a while back
by the time i ge there they already did their Fsmash and i punished them for holding it
out to long

hope this helps if not ill put up a vid on youtube XD

Frown

poekmon
Ftilt to Fsmash

I find this one very efficent. It works great in the beginning of the match.

Nair to nair to nair to nair to nair to nair to infinity

I love to use this one against Link, Mario or other easily gimpable characters. Basically, I just keep using nair whenever they try to get back. I find it a lot more entertaining than to just let them fall.

Utilt to dair to fsamsh

I tend not to use dair against other characters than DK, Bowser etc. But this deals a good load of damage.

(For anyone who's wondering - That Olimar icon is supposed to be a Yoshi one. I'm just teasing the Olimar boards.)

Silent Beast

Smash Journeyman
for yoshi its a bit harder but if he jumps and when perfoming DJ points in the opposite direction and quickly let it go to neutral positon, he can do egg lay with a push and on that opposite direction it comes in hadny but pushing back then letting go while also jumping and pressing B, can be hard since most of the times you egg roll instead
I'm a little confused by what you're talking about here. Are you talking about the DJC reverse egg lay or something else?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTrvhv68Et0 (the 3rd egg lay)

Elefterios

Smash Journeyman
wat to ruin the whole point Sir Orion, the point of this topic is to share all of our
ways to Set up an attack or like they say *links* due that true combos are almost non existant
in Brawl since lact of hit stun but some of these set ups can always rack up extra damage to
our opponents from the start of the stock, wich can gives us a great advantage
i didnt do a few where discussing here

applying them in battle and making them work for each Char and their own amount of DI
will greatly help me in my gameplay, having more tools to strike my opponent then just
my basic Dash AA link will not win me all the battles i need to switch them up with these

and thanks for the reply Elefterios im glad im not the only who uses some of Yoshis moves
like that ^_^ oh and to answer your quesiton of Wavebounce, its what Lucas does he jumps and
uses the C-stick as specials, does pk fire but in the opposite direction he jumped in
the Pk fire will push him Back Lucas mainers use this for recovery
for yoshi its a bit harder but if he jumps and when perfoming DJ points in the opposite
direction and quickly let it go to neutral positon, he can do egg lay with a push and on that
opposite direction it comes in hadny but pushing back then letting go while also
jumping and pressing B, can be hard since most of the times you egg roll instead

and one last thing about my *Roll delay* i would do that in wich i stop my egg roll if i see him
charge but the Fsmashes are usually faster by the time i break my egg, it is most likely one of us will make the first move, and who ever gets the mistake loses on that tricky mindgame but i ment it in another way let me refrase it

when your in the air no matter what the distance and use side B, you will notice that yoshi bounces once and then lands and goes straight foward, the amount of bounces is determined by how declined the platform is kind of like ladders Yoshi would bounce for a long time
However if you short jump and quickly Egg roll, on this 1st bounce pull back from where you were pointing, once you see the first bounce stay completly still, point in the next direciton you want to go
either foward or back i do this because sometimes they are charing their Fsmash from a while back
by the time i ge there they already did their Fsmash and i punished them for holding it
out to long

hope this helps if not ill put up a vid on youtube XD
I know what a "wavebounce" is, i just never knew you can do it with a neutral B move.

Doesn't really matter, that was pretty pointless. If your opponent just Di's just a little bit or jumps, it can easily be avoided. Besides....egg lays are pretty useless. The only time id use an egg lay would be if i were on the ledge recovering or jumping backwards towards my opponent faking out my back air. instead of bair Id flick the control stick on the opposite side and egg lay instead. Good If my opponent tries to shield the expected bair.

Also if you can smash DI out of the tornado you can egg lay metaknight.

So i tried roll delay again and i see what you are talking about but I still don't think it's very safe. You can delay your egg roll but it's always by the same set amount of time. Any longer will just make you lose your rolling momentum afterwards. It can catch your opponent offguard, but once used, he would know that its a possibility and he'll just be more cautious. He doesnt have to charge smashes to punish you.

EDIT: actually egg delay is very good when you are close to your opponent. just out of range from his attack close. It doesnt leave enough time for your opponent to react. You would be able to switch from delaying your roll or to normal one. the best thing for your opponent to do in this situation is to just shield. Again, very good for mindgames, but still risky, You can still get caught.

DstyCube

Smash Journeyman
Doesn't really matter, that was pretty pointless. If your opponent just Di's just a little bit or jumps, it can easily be avoided.
Not really, it's actually very easy to read which way they're going to DI. So you either A) Force a jump, B) Force an air dodge, or C) Catch them in an egg.

Nogzor'z

Smash Journeyman
What i find myself doing quite often is jab combo to running grab. It works quite well at low damages, especially against those we can chain release grab.

I don't think this is commonly used (correct me if I'm wrong).

D

Deleted member

Yep its pretty much the most commonly used yoshi set up ever.

VSC.D-Torr

Smash Hero
B + SideB. If you can, get them in an egg and roll into them over and over again.
Another one, short hop + down midair. Or B + short hop + down midair.
B -> sideB sounds interesting. It doesn't seem to reliable though, considering that there are other approaches and setups that could get the same, if not more, amount of damage and much more safer.

Short hop dair is good to throw in every once in a while, but make sure you go through the opponent, landing behind the opponent so he is not facing you. With no l-cancelling, the dair will have a sufficient amount of lag when you land, making it easy to be shield-grabbed.

Elefterios

Smash Journeyman
I got another one. jab (only the first one), strutter step away to forward smash. Haven't tested it on a live opponent but looks to be very promising.

strutter step+forward smash gets you out of range from most shield grabs or jabs. I suggest charging your smash to punish whatever he tries to do next.

VSC.D-Torr

Smash Hero
I got another one. jab (only the first one), strutter step away to forward smash. Haven't tested it on a live opponent but looks to be very promising.

strutter step+forward smash gets you out of range from most shield grabs or jabs. I suggest charging your smash to punish whatever he tries to do next.
Yoshi's Jab is too good.

Elef, another setup I use is Single Jab -> dtilt. Good for mixing up your attacks.

bigman40

Smash Master
B + SideB. If you can, get them in an egg and roll into them over and over again.
Another one, short hop + down midair. Or B + short hop + down midair.
Problem is that anyone competent will break out WAY before they land on the ground.

I'm gonna have to work on my options after jabbing....I've been knocked out of my jabs when I attempt to link them into something.

Elefterios

Smash Journeyman
Problem is that anyone competent will break out WAY before they land on the ground.

I'm gonna have to work on my options after jabbing....I've been knocked out of my jabs when I attempt to link them into something.
jab to pivot grab works.

Elefterios

Smash Journeyman
Nope. I've been jabbed out of it before I could run. If it's dependent on character positioning (how high your opponent is form the ground) then it's gonna bother me learning the spot the will allow this kind of stuff.
Of course your opponent can get out of it. he can dodge, roll and possibly jab (i actually never got jabbed out of my pivot grab but hey guess its possible. maybe do to positioning?) The thing is its a setup, not a combo. usually after the first jab your opponent will try to shield your 2nd one and that's what you want him to do.

Dyz69

Smash Rookie
basicly why the title says *Set up* a link of combos if you anticipate there gonna shield the 2nd jab you can set up a different style of attack to deal them more damage, i have yet to try these moves
yet however i tried to do more the Nair to Dsmash and i noticed its not that fast anymore
i used to do it nicely now im failing at it T_T...however i did got good with some of the others
you guys suggested like single jab to down B

also Elef why not edit the 1st post with all of these set ups? so that we dont start repeating the same ones over and over again, if you would like i can do it for you you just copy/paste the whole thing and your done ^_^

Phantom7

Banned via Warnings
B -> sideB sounds interesting. It doesn't seem to reliable though, considering that there are other approaches and setups that could get the same, if not more, amount of damage and much more safer.

Short hop dair is good to throw in every once in a while, but make sure you go through the opponent, landing behind the opponent so he is not facing you. With no l-cancelling, the dair will have a sufficient amount of lag when you land, making it easy to be shield-grabbed.
Exactly. That's why you do B+shorthop+dair. If they're in the egg, the lag time shouldn't matter. You may even have time to finish with a smash attack as soon as they get out.

Elefterios

Smash Journeyman
basicly why the title says *Set up* a link of combos if you anticipate there gonna shield the 2nd jab you can set up a different style of attack to deal them more damage, i have yet to try these moves
yet however i tried to do more the Nair to Dsmash and i noticed its not that fast anymore
i used to do it nicely now im failing at it T_T...however i did got good with some of the others
you guys suggested like single jab to down B

also Elef why not edit the 1st post with all of these set ups? so that we dont start repeating the same ones over and over again, if you would like i can do it for you you just copy/paste the whole thing and your done ^_^
forward air to down smash is easier to pull of. fair has almost no landing lag, you can space yourself better, and its not a sex kick... what i mean by that is, with nair you'd have to time it so that you hit your opponent just before landing... which can be tricky and not the safest.

nair= short hop, fast fall, nair--->down smash
fair= short hop, fair, fast fall---->down smash

Good idea, I will edit my first post later tonight. I'll divide it in sections like... jab, bair, grab setups....etc

Elef sucks. He makes matches boring.

Just kidding. :p
lol what are you doing here?

zrky

Smash Lol'd
this was a nice find for me, I will definitely put this stuff into my way of playing.

Top Bottom