• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi Social-20 years of Yoshi's Island!

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
This is the first time in 15 years that I've had a steady and single main character in any SSB. It's always shifting around or is a group of characters, but these last couple weeks I've just fell too much in love with Yoshi.

Eggs are so fun. I used to play TF2 competitively as soldier in 6v6 and they feel like his rockets.

so hi :4yoshi:
I played a lot of Pyro in Highlander, myself. Good to see a fellow TF2er. =)

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
Guys! I have access to a 3ds capture card for almost 2 weeks now so if there's anything you guys think should be recorded like techniques or anything fire away! :D

Saturnity

Smash Rookie
Has anything about Yoshi changed in the recent patch? Kind of worried since Japan was calling him one of the absolute best characters.

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
Has anything about Yoshi changed in the recent patch? Kind of worried since Japan was calling him one of the absolute best characters.
...Who in Japan was saying THAT? Like, I dig Yoshi and think he's been pretty effectively buffed since Brawl, but BEST? Like... that's really pushing it.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
...Who in Japan was saying THAT? Like, I dig Yoshi and think he's been pretty effectively buffed since Brawl, but BEST? Like... that's really pushing it.
He's #2 on the current Japanese tier list, just below Shiek. And, honestly, I see why. His strings and pressure games are endless, and his mobility is unparalleled. He's just so fluid.

Last edited:

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
He's #2 on the current Japanese tier list, just below Shiek. And, honestly, I see why. His strings and pressure games are endless, and his mobility is unparalleled. He's just so fluid.
Yes, but second place? I don't think he sucks by any means, but... that really seems like a huge exaggeration. Well, I guess time will tell. I mean, tier lists mean absolutely nothing for the first year or so of a fighting game, so we'll see what happens down the road. Who knows, maybe Yoshi is top tier after all.

...Man, that idea seems odd to me.

Slice~

Smash Journeyman
NNID
risuno
Nintendo supports dinosaur dragon space technology!!! We can still teleport!!!

Last edited:

Shiri

Smash Chump
lmaoooooo

Good stuff Nintendo. Thumbs up!

Has For Glory been acting weird for anyone lately? This weekend was all sorts of weird with so many connectivity issues.

Slice~

Smash Journeyman
NNID
risuno
Yeah, i get an error message when trying to start 1v1's at a ~30% rate.
But when I'm in, i don't have any issues.

Last edited:

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
So wait Nintendo made a comment about the Yoshi glitches and said they're keeping it for Wii U? That's cool, guess I have to care/learn this thing now.

Saturnity

Smash Rookie
Yes, but second place? I don't think he sucks by any means, but... that really seems like a huge exaggeration. Well, I guess time will tell. I mean, tier lists mean absolutely nothing for the first year or so of a fighting game, so we'll see what happens down the road. Who knows, maybe Yoshi is top tier after all.

...Man, that idea seems odd to me.
I think a Yoshi player just won the October cup in Japan since I last posted, but I'm not totally sure if that was the big one on Shi gaming.

Whether he stays there or not, he's definitely up there for now.

Last edited:

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
One of the things I asked Gheb (follows Japan players closely since Brawl days) was why do the japanese consider Yoshi top tier despite no videos of him over there while characters like Sheik Greninja Rosalina etc. get plenty and even obscure characters are making it to Semis/Finals of Losers or even Winners like Pac-man Megaman or Little Mac.

He never answered with data since there wasn't any for now.

So I'm slightly interested in this tournament that Yoshi has apparently won.

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
Ganondorf versus Yoshi in a tournament finals... I never thought I'd see the day...

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
When 2nd tier list made with Yoshi in A or B tier and 50-200 new Yoshi's flock to the boards for free money hopefully, making it incredibly active to the point the random mods popping in once every 2 weeks finally gives in on the activity and gives to a dedicated Yoshi or just to a complete random Yoshi.

CelestialMarauder~

Smash Ace
Wow i just watched that finals set. What a boring Yoshi lmao. Reminds me of Deltas playstyle adjusted for smash4.

I change my mind maybe there is still some merit to camping with Yoshi

chipndip

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Chiptendo
3DS FC
4098-3083-1621
Wow i just watched that finals set. What a boring Yoshi lmao. Reminds me of Deltas playstyle adjusted for smash4.

I change my mind maybe there is still some merit to camping with Yoshi
Not sure how that was overly campy or boring. The guy was displaying a lot of control with the character, and he was playing smart by avoiding Ganon's raw damage. That's normally how you fight bruisers: Stay the hell away from 'em.

My only gripe is that he spent so much time showing off advanced tech that he didn't just go in there and finish the stocks off. He even did the momentum glitch straight into an aerial Flame Choke. His hands were moving faster than his head in instances like that one.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Yoshi doesn't really have any "advanced tech" in Smash 4 since DJC Dr etc. is gone. If you're talking about "advanced tech" from the b-reverses, then yes he did use that at least 50+ times in two matches lol.

CelestialMarauder~

Smash Ace
Not sure how that was overly campy or boring. The guy was displaying a lot of control with the character, and he was playing smart by avoiding Ganon's raw damage. That's normally how you fight bruisers: Stay the hell away from 'em.

My only gripe is that he spent so much time showing off advanced tech that he didn't just go in there and finish the stocks off. He even did the momentum glitch straight into an aerial Flame Choke. His hands were moving faster than his head in instances like that one.
Well he was campy because he was campy... Just because he didn't literally stay in the exact same tile while throwing eggs doesn't make it not campy. And I personally think that strong fundamentals and camping put together makes for the most boring style, which is why I called him boring.

Camping isn't a bad thing, but it was literally his playstyle. I even said that he showed me the merit in yoshi camping. (sidenote I never said overly)

Shiri

Smash Chump
The cool thing the the fat characters like DK, Bowser, Ganondorf, Charizard, etc. have going for them in this game is that no matter how good or bad they are, you do have to respect their gangster. They will kill you if they hit you, so I approve of running away (eggs optional) as the optimal way to approach those matchups.

That being said, I didn't see any of the other matches, so I don't know if that's how he played every one.

Last edited:

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
Hi! I sniped in HL for a long time too.
As much as I love the game, I hate the variables of teammates. 1v1 is more my style!
I was never a big MGE-er, but I alkways enjoy random DM servers. All the fun with none of the silliness of having a point. DM, MGE, or otherwise, we should hang out sometime. I'm going to be very busy with a big move over the next week or so, but perhaps sometime after that. Hit me up on Steam sometime, perhaps. (It's Ryusuta there... and pretty much most places, heh.)

chipndip

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Chiptendo
3DS FC
4098-3083-1621
Yoshi doesn't really have any "advanced tech" in Smash 4 since DJC Dr etc. is gone. If you're talking about "advanced tech" from the b-reverses, then yes he did use that at least 50+ times in two matches lol.
Precisely. The Egg Lay shots were decent, but after a while, he should have started fishing for KO hits, not more filler. He overdid it a bit, but he still won so hey...

Well he was campy because he was campy... Just because he didn't literally stay in the exact same tile while throwing eggs doesn't make it not campy. And I personally think that strong fundamentals and camping put together makes for the most boring style, which is why I called him boring.

Camping isn't a bad thing, but it was literally his playstyle. I even said that he showed me the merit in yoshi camping. (sidenote I never said overly)
He wasn't all defense though. And yes, I know "camping" doesn't mean "stay in one spot". I just don't see how you thought the entirety of that match was him camping. He was doing cross-up Egg Lays and what-not too. I definitely know guys that camp, and that wasn't entirely a camping play style.

CelestialMarauder~

Smash Ace
I don't really know what to tell you because you keep putting words in my mouth lol. He's not entirely camp, and I literally never said that. Still find him boring from the one game I looked at, and nothing short of seeing more games will change that.

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
True, but bear in mind that being exciting doesn't necessarily win tournaments.

chipndip

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Chiptendo
3DS FC
4098-3083-1621
That's where you're wrong.
No, that's where people that contest him are wrong. He was playing the character well to win. Faulting him for "being boring" is on the viewer, not the player. I personally had nothing wrong with his play, but to each their own.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
I very rarely like comments on smashboards cause still not into turning Smashboards into TWITCH FACEBOOK TWITTER SOCIAL MEDIA crap.
This video is one of those occasions tho that I really need to hit that button.

jollypong

Smash Cadet
I am really impressed with yoshi in this game. Yoshis in other games felt very akward but 3DS yoshi just feels so good and combos so well. What are your thoughts on yoshi?

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
As someone whos been loyal to soley using Yoshi in all other Smash games, it's a really nice break. To me, playing as Yoshi in every Smash game has always felt so good, but he's always been hindered by one huge thing or another, which got discouraging knowing how much the odds are against you no matter how hard you tried.
Yoshi doesn't feel broken in even the slightest way here, hes just a really good character now and finally got the fighting chance he deserves.

Ogopogo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3797-6544-0935
I feel like there's no single thing in Yoshi's kit that's overwhelmingly abusable or overpowered (dair is super good though, that %). I think that applies to pretty much everyone in Smash 4, except maybe Rosaluma and Mac, to a certain extent. Yoshi is just eally, really solid. Unlike Sheik or Rosaluma he has crazy killing power, but he's much more gimpable.

Top Bottom