• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi Social-20 years of Yoshi's Island!

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Yoshi's dair has always done 33% since brawl lol

Anyways it's nice and very much needed. Too long we were the bottom of mid tier/top of low tier while beating decent high level players in our respective regions. Now all our hard work over the years can hopefully be implemented in the Wii U version and net us the money we've thrown into the pot the past 6+ years.

chipndip

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Chiptendo
3DS FC
4098-3083-1621
Even if Yoshi's high tier, he isn't broken, so I'm fine with it. Bowser's strong. Shiek is strong. Rosa + Luma are strong. Yoshi's strong. Zamus is strong. Other characters are playable in ways that they shine too (Mario, R.O.B., the Pits, Peach, Marth/Lucina, Villager, C. Falcon, Fox, etc.). Even if Yoshi's good this time around, I feel no sense of "tier ***** shame" using him. Besides, Yoshi's my main dino dude. He's my favorite in any game he shows up in, even if his own games tend to suck most of the time. >_>

Regardless, it's good knowing my fave char is a competitive choice, and I got pits in my pocket just in case.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
In a word? Glorious.

No more tired jokes about how "who uses Yoshi outside Home Run Contest, lawl". No more people complaining his lack of a third jump makes him a 'trash' character. Finally Yoshi gets some respect.

In previous games using Yoshi has always been an uphill struggle, but you could always get the sense that if there were just some tweaks here and there he had the potential to be a really solid fighter. After 15+ years of varying nerfs and screw ups(I mean come on; those hitboxes in Brawl were ridiculous), Sakurai finally revealed his true potential.

Absolutely freaking glorious.

I cannot wait to start playing Yoshi on the Wii U. As much as I like Smash For 3DS, the control system feels a little unnatural to me after so much time with the Cube controller.

Shiri

Smash Chump
It's terrible.

I'll have to find the post I made a million some odd years ago, but it basically boils down to:

I want this character so good that he's banned (what this community does best).

This isn't even close. Yoshi in this game is so...playable.

AirJay

Smash Amatuer
NNID
jordaniscold
3DS FC
0877-0255-3596
I am having a hard time finding a reliable kill setup so i was wonder what have you guys found to be a good and almost consistent kill setup with yoshi

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Being a character loyalist finally payed off.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
None really, killing is still a problem for us (practically our only problem at this point though lol). I was just going random in for glory one game, got Sheik, and went up against a Yoshi, ended up never dying and living to 256%, dem problems killing yo. He obviously wasnt the greatest Yoshi and missed a few opportunities, but still lol. Best just pulling a Brawl and not trying to force it and just let the kill come to you. Most reliable ones Ive used are nair > down b, down b oos, and egg lay follow ups/landing punishes with nair/uair/bair.

And on the topic of tier placement a few posts ago, kill problems is the major setback that imo is keeping Yoshi out of Top Tier, feel like we'll end up around the Top of High Tier in the end.

Last edited:

InfiniteTripping

Smash Journeyman
I'm not a Yoshi player but I always respected Yoshi players as among the best players in the Smash community. He's a really difficult character to play that follows his own rules, it has always taken real unique skills to effectively play as Yoshi, many players cannot handle it including myself... it's good to see it is looking like there's going to be more rewards for mastering this character.

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
I still don't think he'll end up in the top tier once a year or so passes and the actual tier list comes out (any tier speculation at this point is bound to be somewhat inaccurate as the competitive metagame develops), but it's still nice that he's been fixed and works the way he should have in the first place.

Darkzephr

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4012-4533-2435
usually when I play against a character I haven't faced much, I can learn and adapt and play at least adequately. Except this Yoshi, he completely destroyed me, and I need to find a way to improve.

I'm looking for any Yoshi player to practice against. Even if you're not confident I just really want to have a Yoshi player to spar against. if you're interested in Yoshi vs Sheik practice send me a PM.

Additionally, if anyone on the Yoshi boards could give me some tips on how to punish Yoshi players that would be great.

Ben Prochazka

Smash Cadet
Well yesterday I was in a kinda tournament we had, these guys asked me who I was playing as and I responded with "yoshi.." expecting someone to be like "what he's so terrible why"..but then got remarks like "oh we have some top tier characters playing here"

I was confused. I hadnt checked the tier list for this game yet because honestly I really don't care about tier lists, if you wanna play smash your choice of character shouldn't depend on how high up your preferred character is on the tier list (aiming towards Amsa, I don't think he cares about it while he played melee)

But that being said, it is kinda nice to have people respect the Yoshi players, I mean why wouldn't you respect a character thats always so happy.

If you love playing as a character the tier list shouldnt matter

Dyz

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dyz-89
3DS FC
1950-9945-5854
im interested in some fights, i know you requested to PM but i also wanted to give some tips, but it does help to know just what made this fight so difficult for you? because i fought some Sheiks in FG and the fights go in my favor, im not well skilled in what makes a Sheik really good, and the only openings i see myself taking risk is landing and getting grabbed into combos, but yeah im around if interested in fighting

Last edited:

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
There's no current tier list yet but many of the newer members of smashboards (2013/2014) keep ranking him in top 5. While older wiser players all have different opinions for him, actually putting him as #1 or around 3rd-8th (which is still my prediction).

I still don't think characters like Rosalina or Sheik can take hold of the 1st and 2nd spots. Too overrated but they are strong just like Yoshi but all three have glaring flaws while characters like Greninja and Lucario don't have many.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Probably better to head to the social with that post instead of a new thread. But anyways just go there and make another post, you'll prolly get more posts since people have that thread watched over this one.

Darkzephr

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4012-4533-2435
im interested in some fights, i know you requested to PM but i also wanted to give some tips, but it does help to know just what made this fight so difficult for you? because i fought some Sheiks in FG and the fights go in my favor, im not well skilled in what makes a Sheik really good, and the only openings i see myself taking risk is landing and getting grabbed into combos, but yeah im around if interested in fighting
sending you a PM with some more details, but as for the general match up tips I'm having trouble even figuring out what exactly I was having difficulty with. In the replay I do so poorly that I can't really isolate what I need to fix, and I'm not familiar enough with fighting Yoshi's to pick out his techniques. I can update this thread with more info on my experience with the MU to keep it valuable.

Ben Prochazka

Smash Cadet
There's no current tier list yet but many of the newer members of smashboards (2013/2014) keep ranking him in top 5. While older wiser players all have different opinions for him, actually putting him as #1 or around 3rd-8th (which is still my prediction).
I dont know where I'd rank him, id wanna rank him high up but then again I haven't played or really seen much people on YouTube (this game is still fairly new) and so yeah, I'm not sure where yoshi belongs on the tier list, but it still won't matter to me.

I mean, he's the happiest of the smash roster, he should be first anyway

Ben Prochazka

Smash Cadet
Do you ever put someone in an egg and then just not move and down taunt while they're getting out? Hahahaha

OR what's even better is baiting people to come towards you while your on the edge and then just drop them off the map while they're in egg while down taunting?

SOOO HAPPY

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
We need a mod so badly so we can sticky the FAQ. Too many easily answered threads are popping up and congesting these boards.

shapular

Smash Ace
I was getting the weirdest sense of déjà vu reading the last two pages of this thread. I knew I had read those exact posts before but I wasn't sure why people were posting the exact same thing in two different threads. Then I just saw that those threads were merged into this one.

I don't know if people look at the video thread much, so I'm going to cross-post this here. I played a few games against FOW on stream today. I'd like some critique so I can level up my Yoshi some more. Here's the VOD: http://www.twitch.tv/1fow1/b/583885651?t=3h7m45s

Negoksai

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Negoksai
3DS FC
3781-0352-9739
Hey I'm going around from thread to thread looking for some practice with each of the characters, if you're fairly active and confident with your competitive skills please send me a message with your friend code my FC is 3781 0352 9739

Negoksai

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Negoksai
3DS FC
3781-0352-9739
no one listens on those i've tried

Slice~

Smash Journeyman
NNID
risuno
Man, I just got the pleasure facing Kinuski in For Glory.
He's still rockin' it!

Last edited:

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980

I still don't think characters like Rosalina or Sheik can take hold of the 1st and 2nd spots. Too overrated but they are strong just like Yoshi but all three have glaring flaws while characters like Greninja and Lucario don't have many.
I personally have Yoshi sitting at 10th/11th tied with Jiggs in my personal list. Imo he's below (and in no order) Rosy, Wario, Diddy, Sheik, ZSS, Pikachu, Lucario, Greninja, and Sonic.

Shiri

Smash Chump
We need a mod so badly so we can sticky the FAQ. Too many easily answered threads are popping up and congesting these boards.
Unless whoever you guys get to moderate this place is intelligently aggressive, having even multiple moderators won't solve that problem.

I personally have Yoshi sitting at 10th/11th tied with Jiggs in my personal list. Imo he's below (and in no order) Rosy, Wario, Diddy, Sheik, ZSS, Pikachu, Lucario, Greninja, and Sonic.
Pikachu, Sonic and Lucario are SUPER cheap in this game; I can mostly agree with this. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Lucario somehow ended up getting better as time goes on; only in Smash can easymode characters somehow be made even easier AND better smhhhhh. Fought my first Wario a few days ago and I had no idea how much the character had changed. He still seems annoying and good, especially being a character designed for the way the game handles movement and attacking. I think Jigglypuff is pretty sweet in this game (all the PKMN are just really cool and good in this game) and I am playing her more and more lately. I don't have enough experience to know where she fits into all this, but I think it's interesting that you have her tied with Yoshi in your analysis.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
I do not think a mod ever had to be intelligent the past few years. Maybe back then but not during these days of smashboards. But we prolly not gonna get any mod, just have to tag some senator or something if we want something done or even just report a bunch on one or two single posts to get the staffs attention.

As for jigglypuff from what I heard she got buffs on stuff like rest Bair etc. Good for her, but her fair was nerfed apparently lost more setups on rest, and I think pound recovery was hit if I remember right.

Last edited:

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
Yeah, pound lost like all its momentum. It's not like Brawl where she could fly forever with it.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
So a neat little thing was found this morning with cancelling landing lag by using a special.
Somebody test Bair fair and Dair to see if it's worth cancelling the landing lag on those moves with any specials (maybe even UpB if we don't get a hop)

Goddamn 16 more days till I can start playing the game myself skergisrhiht

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Believe me, I have no job and have had 5 years of time on my hands. (still counting)
Once I get the Wii U version you guys will be lucky if I'll even be posting at all lol

Slice~

Smash Journeyman
NNID
risuno
This sounds like you could get a stroke attack by playing it. Too much hype piled up.
Get a bottle of water before starting.

Last edited:

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Dunno, I don't really get hyped or have as much enthusiasm as I used to have when I was younger (all of us when we first saw brawl trailer for example). But I am kinda excited for the game definitely and can't wait to play it.

Slice~

Smash Journeyman
NNID
risuno
You make me sad.
Just by telling the truth about the past...

Last edited:

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!
As you all know, I hate Yoshi, I've been known for slaughtering Yoshis by the millions in mass executions in past Smash games cause I sucked with him, I couldn't use him, so I'd do nothing, but beat up on him.

That brings me to my point, in this game recently I played through All Star with Yoshi, and I have to say I some what like the Yoshi in this game.

I like the Red Yoshi btw, so the thing is yes in past games it wasn't because my favorite color Yoshi wasn't in, it was because I just sucked with him in Melee and Brawl.

I just wish I could find his B left/right customs, hopefully one of them is better than that stupid Egg Roll, I'm still having a bit of trouble with that.

I'd like to add that I also play as Yoshi in Mario Kart 8, see that was the game that didn't have my favorite color Yoshi until the dlc was released, then I got to be Red Yoshi, I hate that stupid green Yoshi.

Last edited:
Top Bottom