• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi v. Ike

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Like I said, this is just what I hear about some Ikes. And yeah, I was at the last Viridian, and I'll be going to the one in October, too. Silent Beast might be as well.

D

Deleted member

The matchup is definately slightly in ikes favor.

Play super safe, bait stuff, DONT BE STUPID AND TRY AND PUNISH WELL SPACED STUFF.
Lots of grab. Lots of bair, very little egg lay and dont egg unless hes kinda far else fair will eat your babies.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
So, a few questions about this MU:

Is it even possible for us to punish a well spaced (retreating) fair? Should we just wait and egg him after the hitbox ends to punish the landing lag? Does his Fair eat eggs alive? =[

Is playing on the ledge relatively safe in this MU? I don't think Ike has the speed to stage spike us without us being able to see it coming, nor really the options to punish us for getting back to the stage. =/

D

Deleted member

The only reason i dont like the ledge is because if the ike reads ur recovery from the edge u get an fsmash or usmash to the face.

You can go a little, but make sure u dont get hit XD

Retreating fair gets beat by ETS or at least makes him shield, but if hes approaching just like shield xD

Sharky

Smash Master
the ledge is nice if you're really good at mixing things up. Otherwise stay away from it, for the most part.

what stocky said about the fair.

Yikarur

Smash Master
Under 100% you can ledgeDR nearly lagless, >100% you can mix up your options pretty well. Just remember that normal get up has only 4 vulnerability frames D:

Airborne

Smash Lord
just thought of something... ike generally has 2 options against our backwards approach towards him:
shield
retreating well-spaced fair
we could use the benefit of DJC retreating egg toss in order to punish a retreating fair... and if we predict a shield, we can DJC egg lay... so you think there's actually a use for DJC egg toss now? =O

Shiri

Smash Chump
just thought of something... ike generally has 2 options against our backwards approach towards him:
shield
retreating well-spaced fair
we could use the benefit of DJC retreating egg toss in order to punish a retreating fair... and if we predict a shield, we can DJC egg lay... so you think there's actually a use for DJC egg toss now? =O
:yoshi: You know, it's funny you mention this.

I play a good deal of some of the better Ikes out there and I used to try mixing things up like this. The one move that beats both of these moves, which I regularly used before it got destroyed, is runaway or turnaround upsmash. The wide arc, lower bodybox, and decent ability to punish renders both of these approaches not useless, but not very safe or effective.

Turnaround upsmash is for the Egg Toss approach, and runaway upsmash is for both back air and DJC Egg Lay.

I specifically try to stay out of the air against Ike, just like Meta Knight. It's extremely unsafe and airdodging is at least viable against Meta Knight--Ike feeds off dodges. You can still dodge into the ground with relative safety, but dodges at jump apexes or while falling isn't good. In the same strain, attacking in the air is like airdodging, but worse; you lose control until it ends, just like a dodge, but you're not invulnerable and still suffer ending lag, just like a dodge. Aerials have the benefits of having attack hitboxes, but I don't think that a character that relies so much on spacing with such a large disjoint fears standard aerials.

Not saying that those two approaches are useless, again, but I personally recommend utilizing DR for safer ground approaches and leading into more opportunities to bait.

P.S. - I agree with Sockz (!!) on one thing; don't be too quick to punish Ike. Play it safe. It takes longer and you won't rack up damage as fast as you would against other characters, much less as fast as he will rack up on you, but you have no choice other than to play super safe or lose.

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
Yeah... we have a projectile, and Ike doesn't. There's no reason to approach him at all, no matter how easily powershielded our eggs can be. We have the advantage at long-range.

:069:

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Who said you have to throw eggs

just don't approach loooool
This.

mix up yo tosses so he's not PSing... you can still bounce the egg off the shield.... >______>
And this.

He has to approach just because you CAN throw eggs at him, not because you are. And bouncing eggs off the shield RIGHT before they're about to explode is too good. They drop the shield but get hit anyways. <3

D

Deleted member

Yoshi punishes a few characters very badly out of a bair utilt and ike is one of them.
Bowser has a fast AD to the ground, DK has a bair that beats everything.
Ike gets *****, his moves last forever, he falls slow, he gets chain grabbed etc.
You are in no rush to kill him.

IMPORTANT: Ike ***** lots of stuff, but if you can get him to commit to a move that is not foward air, neutral air, or jab, you will very likely be able to punish.

Also, people are underestimating HOW EASY it is to get past yoshis camp.
I beat hades, the campiest yoshi alive, in a MM with falcon, who has no disjoints whatso ever and less range than yoshi.

Ike can get past easily.

Also, <3 shiri.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Except, Falcon isn't slow as balls. Like Ike. Which makes camping him easier. The only thing he has over Falcon in getting past Yoshi's camp is the huge range. =/

Metatitan

Smash Master
Except, Falcon isn't slow as balls. Like Ike. Which makes camping him easier. The only thing he has over Falcon in getting past Yoshi's camp is the huge range. =/
Wel well captain genius, there's your sign. That's how peach does it, she doesn't have fast ground or air speed, she gets through it with range.

D

Deleted member

Ike is slower than average, but theres not really any very slow characters in this game haha.

D

Deleted member

Ganondorf is slow but like when hes in a neutral position he can go pretty fast and that.

Top Bottom