• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi v. Luigi

.Marik

is a social misfit
Do I have to? ._.

Allright, Luigi can pressure, punish, and KO easier. His aerials come out in virtually no time at all, and Nair is a surprising KO move that's really unpredictable.

Grabs? Shuts us down and he can follow Grab>Throw>KO/Juggling setups.

FSmash has a disjointed hitbox, all his aerials have good range, most of his ground moves have good range and kill easily.

Jabs? They're surprisingly good. Yoshi needs to Bair, string UpSmashes, space really well, and punish accordingly. He also needs to Jab and Pivot-Grab to stop Luigi from approaching and wrecking our lack of OoS options and versatile defensive mechanics.

But, if we space and punish appropriately, it's winnable. Grabs help too. And watch out for Cyclone, it can gimp us, and can also leave Yoshi vulnerable on the stage, which any decent Luigi will punish us for.

Never take him to Luigi's Mansion, providing it's Legal.

Metatitan

Smash Master
Lol it's luigi's advantage. He has a ton of moves that hit our blindspot (granted, not as far ranged as marth or peach's Fair but it provides annoyance) and he kills ridiculously early.

hadesblade

Smash Lord
Do I have to? ._.

Allright, Luigi can pressure, punish, and KO easier. His aerials come out in virtually no time at all, and Nair is a surprising KO move that's really unpredictable.
Nair has about the same range as rest. You shouldn't have a weegee that close to you.

Grabs? Shuts us down and he can follow Grab>Throw>KO/Juggling setups.
He does have good setups out of grab, but how do they "shut us down"? you shouldn't even be in weegees grab range...

FSmash has a disjointed hitbox, all his aerials have good range, most of his ground moves have good range and kill easily.
Any move that the hitbox extends outside your hurtbox is "disjointed". Weegee's fsmash doesn't have much range. Once again, we shouldn't be that close to weegee...

Jabs? They're surprisingly good. Yoshi needs to Bair, string UpSmashes, space really well, and punish accordingly. He also needs to Jab and Pivot-Grab to stop Luigi from approaching and wrecking our lack of OoS options and versatile defensive mechanics.
Weegee's jabs aren't that great, they are fast, but they still have no range.

But, if we space and punish appropriately, it's winnable. Grabs help too. And watch out for Cyclone, it can gimp us, and can also leave Yoshi vulnerable on the stage, which any decent Luigi will punish us for.
Yes, it's more than winnable though. The only thing that should be giving you problems is his bair. With our mobility and range, we shouldn't be close enough to get hit by most of the things weegee throws out.

If you get cycloned offstage, its just because you don't know to avoid it, which you will learn after it happens to you once or twice.

Never take him to Luigi's Mansion, providing it's Legal.
lol never played a weegee there, but I can see cyclone being like mk's nado...

tl;dr

don't approach, and weegee has no range

Sharky

Smash Master
just thought I'd point out that luigi can jab-dsmash us, or even jab-upB if we happen to DI up or don't block right away. So while it doesn't have so much range, if he hits something's gonna happen.

bigman40

Smash Master
Lol, Something is wrong if you believe that Luigi's jab isn't great. It's a really good jab, and forces us to stay away for the most part.

Also, Yoshi can't really be close to characters that can match his jab speed, and especially characters that beat his jab.

Gindler

Smash Champion
Dair the cyclone...

That'll work the first time when they cyclone from under the stage, after that he'll just use it far away to get the height he needs early

.Marik

is a social misfit
Something tells me you need more Luigi matchup experience.

Luigi either forces us to approach, or we get pressured. Either way, predictable and overly aggressive Yoshi's are bait.

just thought I'd point out that luigi can jab-dsmash us, or even jab-upB if we happen to DI up or don't block right away. So while it doesn't have so much range, if he hits something's gonna happen.
Jab>UpB= legitimate killing setup. Around as low as 80% Luigi can KO Yoshi.

Luigi has more range than people give him credit for. Maybe not on all his moves, and I never claimed that, but on a decent chunk Luigi has viable range implemented.

I secondary Luigi, I should know what I'm talking about.

Lol, Something is wrong if you believe that Luigi's jab isn't great. It's a really good jab, and forces us to stay away for the most part.

This. People should read Luigi Guides more, they repeatedly go into detail about how important Luigi's Jabs are, and what potential they contain if used and spaced right.

Also, Yoshi can't really be close to characters that can match his jab speed, and especially characters that beat his jab.
Yeah, but pressure/punishing tactics from characters like Luigi= bad decisions.

bigman40

Smash Master
Yeah, but pressure/punishing tactics from characters like Luigi= bad decisions.
Luigi's pressuring tactics are most effective up close, where you're in range to get jabbed. From mid range, they're still a thread, but you're mainly going to be thinking about cyclone getting to you (and lets not talk about being in the air). Taking him up close means that not only you have to slide past his hitboxes (hella hard to do), you have to slide in your hitboxes as well, which have about the same range as his Jabs.

.Marik

is a social misfit
^ Good point.

Yoshi can't really camp, so we eventually have to approach/be approached, agreed?

But yeah, I see what you're saying.

Top Bottom