• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi v. Mr. Game and Watch

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: This is the thread for discussion on the Yoshi v. Mr. Game and Watch matchup.

Cliche-Guevara

Smash Cadet
I hate this matchup.

But I will do my best to summarize the general do's and dont's.

DO
- Punish GW's Fair if he doesn't autocancel it, if he lands with it on the stage there is a punishable amount of lag to hit him with. Take all the damage you can get, you will need it.
- Dash away from GW's Dairs on reaction and pivot grab him if he is high enough, or if you are in the air, you can Uair it. The spacing is difficult, so learn it well.
- Tech Roll away from GW's DThrow, dont get stuck in the tech chase because its free dmg for him.
- Spam Eggs when GW is above you, as long as you can do it safely, under platforms works best (Battle Field, Lylat, etc.) and he can not bucket the eggs.
- Learn to DI properly, GW's kill moves (DSmash, FSmash) kill incredibly early, being able to live to ~150% will help you win the match immensly.
- Play patient, hang back and dont do anything to risky, once GW is at high percents you can try to dodge his Dair with a charged Fsmash, but dont do this often, if predicted you will be punished for it.

DONT
- Use laggy moves near GW (DownB, FF Dair into the stage, standing grab, etc.) GW is able to punish mistakes with his kill moves especially if he perfect shields your attack.
- Try to edgeguard GW below the stage, his UpB is invincible and will stage spike if you are not careful.
- Use your kill moves to build damage, try to save your Nair / Uair / Upsmash / Fsmash to kill when you need it. GW's "bucket-brake" AT is amazing and will make him last quite a bit longer than you would think a lightweight like GW would last. You aren't going to get a lot of oportunities to land your kill moves, so when you do, try to make sure they are fresh.

All I can think of for now, honestly I think this is my personal worst matchup. I always seem to fall behind in damage and get killed by a Dsmash when GW is only around 80% or so.

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
If you get hit by his b-air, SDI up. It shouldn't do too much damage. His n-air is brutal, though. X_X

Also, I disagree with not using Yoshi Bomb on Mr. Game & Watch. In my experience, he's actually pretty vulnerable to it. You can punish all of his smashes with a properly timed spot-dodge -> Yoshi Bomb, and his f-tilt and u-tilt are also punishable by it, too.

Speaking of tilts, his d-tilt is extremely hard for Yoshi to punish. Maybe even impossible. Any tips for that? =/

Slice~

Smash Journeyman
NNID
risuno
If you get hit by his b-air, SDI up. It shouldn't do too much
Speaking of tilts, his d-tilt is extremely hard for Yoshi to punish. Maybe even impossible. Any tips for that? =/
i think a dash grab could help against the d tilt
yoshis feet are far away from the tip of the tongue, so he won´t get hit (i think)
if i get hit by the dtilt, i´d always try to make a nair x)

bigman40

Smash Master
i think a dash grab could help against the d tilt
yoshis feet are far away from the tip of the tongue, so he won´t get hit (i think)
if i get hit by the dtilt, i´d always try to make a nair x)
Dtilt > Dash grab. Time it correctly, and you'll land the grab.

Furbs

Smash Journeyman
maaaaaan such an overrated matchup!!!!!

eggs and pivot grab are your best friends!!!

ill writeup something later

Furbs

Smash Journeyman
to beat G+W (be gay)

ok so basically round starts right? SPAM THE **** out of eggs i mean seriously 8 damage an egg vs someone who dies at around 100 percent from an up air, each egg is around 8-10% of his stock.
and he can't bucket the eggs either, so now g+w has to approach.

G+W is going to approach with either a SH bair or in a few cases Nair or fair even (depends but most cases its bair) pivot grab beats ALL THOSE. so now you can effectively shut down his approach.

grab him back throw or fthrow, run away and repeat is basically what the match comes down to for yoshi

but G+W is still a good character and a good one can give yoshi trouble, of course I don't think this match is as hard as marth or lucario if you still to the basics and play gay enough,

Protip: uair beats dair

numbers wise anwhere from a 55:45 - 60:40 G+W

the problem he gave us at the start of the game was that we kept trying to approach him and he'd just shut us down, GG

Green_Ace

Smash Apprentice
well, I'm bad at explaining how I do things, but...

Furbs got a lot of it down. The matchup really isn't as hard as people make it out to be. IMHO, it's 60:40 in GnW's favor, nothing more. GnW will have difficulty approaching you if you play defensively, predict their patterns, and use your eggs well. ETS is basically a must for this matchup.

Also, grabs work well. Spamming dash grab however will get you punished. If they get used to your defensive style, it might be worth risking running under them with a well-timed usmash. This may sound risky, but I've done this successfully against some of the best.

I think furbs covered the rest. Make sure he's the one who does the approaching, spam eggs like a mofo, and our uair beats his dair if spaced properly.

Hope that helped. Again, I'm bad at matchup summaries.

Nul

Smash Apprentice
I don't think a question got answered for his Dtilt, but Bair will help you out.

If in the air, my personal options are a bomb, or drop until he is close enough to mistake he's in range then toss away/airdodge to Nair.

Being that I don't pivot grab and have a nice enough time against G&W's, I'll say that pivot grab isn't your only option on his airs,side-step Fair and you have a free tilt/jab, shield Bair to shieldgrab (yes I said it), and spotdodging his Dair is good for only so long, if he expects it and moves over, I suggest getting out of there.

I bomb when they do Uair, and I'm usually close enough/slightly on the side to the point of me hitting him/I go over enough to where I can get away. Don't bomb predicably!! you know those stars that shoot out your A, well, he can bucket those and they may as well be the equivalent of PK Crosses/Flash, not joking.

Watch out for those smashes, all of them are gay, and side-step won't save you all the time on Fsmash. If you see one coming, You Nair or Egg toss if in the air, or jab or shield on the ground.

His grabs aren't all that except down, just get out of there.

As always, spam eggs, do it NAOW! He's light and odds are he won't PS all of them, I highly recommend getting the aim of your eggs into muscle memory, it's like a fourth of my yoshi's first style.

And my Absol-ute favorite trick, if he dares to use Fire Escape near the ledge, grab him and just sit there, he can't come back!!

I hope that helps if you aren't an AT major Yoshi.

Top Bottom