• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi v. R.O.B.

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
Shiri, strangely enough in my summary back on the first page, I listed Halberd and Brinstar to be good stages. I remember doing well there, so I really don't understand why it is bad. :laugh:

Yoshi's Island is definitely good, also. R.O.B. can't hover under the stage, which makes his recovery harder to perform. I also believe that Delfino Plaza can also work. =)

@Airborne: D-smash is not a kill move. R.O.B.'s b-air and f-smash are better kill moves than his d-smash.

Gindler

Smash Champion
:yoshi: Gindler, don't forget about DR.

DR nets you free gyros and you can do whatever you want with them after that.
Completely forgot about that

*goes to practice DR more*

Need to try that fancy B for jump layout too. Don't have it down to a science like I would like to.

I was told DACIT helps land kill moves (namely Fsmash) alot easier, if you can get a hold of that gyro (where DR comes in)

robs are so annoying. came close to beating one a couple of times.

good counterpick stage?
I used to be able to not hate the matchup, then the Ftilt showed up. :urg:

As for Dsmash not being a kill move, a fresh one is..........at like 140% which is what I usually end up living to (living that long each stock and still not winning is pretty lame too)

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Remember to DI R.O.B.'s downsmash up and then DJ out if he goes for another one.

Also, the reason I listed Halberd as a bad stage against R.O.B. is due to the fact that if he gains control of the middle of the stage inside that little dip, he can control almost every aspect of the stage and makes getting him out of there a really really big problem. Between angled lasers, bouncing gyros, up angled forward tilt, up tilt and neutral air and up smash and up air to protect him from above (no thanks to the middle platform), and his decent knockback throws, getting into R.O.B. for damage is hard enough; making sure you don't make mistakes and then forcing him out is really hard!

As for Brinstar, it's probably not terrible; I just don't like stages where he can abuse neutral air, his down tilt, and his angled forward tilts. I don't like the idea of letting him use the terrain to his advantage because those moves are so good.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Your Yoshi is fun to watch.

So yeah, that actually looked legit, which is weird, because I would never think of forward smash as a punisher against a move out of spotdodge, but I guess maybe the numbers just work out. I'm certain the dodge has to be spot on for the timing to work, though. This doesn't seem like a very lenient idea, but any way to use forward smash more is always good.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
That ROB needed more Spotdodge. Just sayin'

That Fsmash was really nice, though I'm pretty sure you'd have to predict the dsmash and spotdodge ahead of time for it to work. It's still really neat though.

Yikarur

Smash Master
buuuump =D because after reading in other threads this seems to be necessary. (this is one of my worst match-ups too)

indigestible_wad

Smash Lord
I play with a top level ROB in my area, t0mmy, and a lower level ROB in my crew. One thing you really don't want to do is get into a camping match. ROB outcamps us if he's doing it properly. All he has to do is hide under a platform in the right spot so our eggs don't hit and just throw stuff at us until we get fifty damage and we're grasping at straws trying to figure out how to approach. Our projectiles are just too slow for the stuff he can pull on us. If you're playing against a campy ROB, a good counterpick imo is FD.

Keeping the pressure seems to work the best for me. Stay in close, because he outspaces yoshi by a lot. I mean, jesus, those arms are long. Spacing a grab is a little tricky because he can hit us in our grab animation. In the air he can do a lot to him because all our aerials come out faster and we can just juggle him, but you do have to watch out for his nair and bair; those things hurt, even if they are slow.

Yikarur

Smash Master
this is a match-up where you have to learn DR, you can EASILY catch his gyro with it.
You can avoid the laser by reaction just don't do something that let your guard off and throw eggs only if you know it'll hit (otherwise you get lasered).
Throw eggs when R.O.B. recovers, he can't do anything against them (his upB sucks so much =D)

well I still have problems in this match-up xD (most damage I get is from failing to pick up the Gyro xDD)

indigestible_wad

Smash Lord
Yeah, that's all true. I haven't played either of them since shool ended, so I'm a bit rusty. I normally just ignore the gyro, since they usually put it out as a decoy for me to try and pick it up. Instead I just throw eggs at the gyro and wait for them to get hit instead.

Sharky

Smash Master
if you can manage to pick up the gyro you can easily outcamp him though, so take full advantage of it if you can =D

D

Deleted member

Why!!!!!!!!!
Yoshi combos rob so well.
Why would u camp him!

I do like holding onto the gyro.

Yoshi needs to be patient with kills, you can combo him really fast so even if u are down 70-80% in a stock, you can make the comeback with smart spacing and comboing.

Dont get naired.

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium
Just fought a ROB in a tourney, but so far he was the only good ROB I fought. ;3; Rush down tactics actually work fairly well on ROBs. xD Its just too easy to juggle em.
Only thing I hate is that D-smash. I guess you can't really rush down, but just try and bait spot dodges or rolls and be patient. I kinda think this is in yoshis favor or 50/50 as long as ya don't try and start a camp war with him. :>

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
It seems like whenever im up close to him i do way good, but when far away I do way bad... so my solution is approach i guess lol

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Hrm.. it's the opposite for me. Up close I do a bit bad and barely get a few hits in. While i'm far away I just throw an egg or two and go in for an attack and repeat. His lasers are unpredictible and so is him using DSmash since it's so f'ing fast.

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium
I never learned how to DI outta it. ^^;

I think should take some time too though. ;3; It would make the match up a whole lot easier~!

Yikarur

Smash Master
you have just to hold the stick up and make small circles to the corner, you can also hold the stick up/left and tap the c-stick up as fast as possible.
it's not thaat hard.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: DI on multi-hit moves is why Brawl is so easy.

Learn it and "good" characters become a lot worse.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Just so you all know, i play this mu EVERY SINGLE DAY, my brother is a rob main + X's brother is as well, ive got experience here lol. Anyway, he camps us MUCH better than we camp him, and if there's ledges they'll sit underneath them so we cant arc our eggs into them and just shoot endless barrages of laser's and use occasional gyro's when you dont expect. They want us to stay away as they **** at a distance. Up close it is almost dead even, yoshi's jab is godly in this mu as it is insanely fast, but his jab clanks with ours so watch out. gotta go so ill finish later ;)

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Spotdodge lasers. They're easy to beat unless you're getting combo'd into them.

DR to grab gyros. You can do it on reaction unless you don't predict if they'll bounce before they get to you.

And yes, you can arc eggs underneath edges.

I think one of the keys to Yoshi's offense here is a restrained offense. Matchups like Snake, Yoshi can go hog wild once he gets a launcher and just excrete pure damage, but in matchups like this where R.O.B. is primarily a counterpuncher, you have to hit and then kinda gauge if you can actually combo into your next hit or if you have to back off or even bait a reversal from them in the air.

I still think Yoshi's hardest time is at mid-range, where R.O.B. has very clear and commanding ground dominance, but I haven't tried DRing through R.O.B.'s attacks there. I'm sure he can still recover quickly enough to hit you again, so it might not matter anyway.

DI is more important in this matchup than most.

Down+B is good.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Good robs wont let you do that at mid range often, they are too pro :(

Airborne

Smash Lord
if you can manage to pick up the gyro you can easily outcamp him though, so take full advantage of it if you can =D
Have you actually tried this? I've attempted it on a few occasions in an attempt to see if there was any use out of it, and I came up with no results. =(

I'd say the best thing about it is that we get an amazing OoS when we grab the top.

Sharky

Smash Master
you don't throw the gyro, you just throw eggs/use specials. If rob can only laser, you can throw stuff out faster than him. =)

indigestible_wad

Smash Lord
For arcing eggs the right way, it really depends on where you are, where the opponent is, and how high the platform is. Then there's the human error portion. Most places can be hit, but it takes a lot more precise timing to get the right arc in the right places. There are blind spots.

Of course ROB excells at mid range. Have you seen those arms? Neither of our hitboxes are disjointed and his are longer.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Actually, arcing eggs is pretty easy

because there are only two waypoints that the game uses

that go beneath platforms and edges

so as long as you're anywhere near the input needed

the egg will travel exactly where it should

Airborne

Smash Lord
you don't throw the gyro, you just throw eggs/use specials. If rob can only laser, you can throw stuff out faster than him. =)
Ehh, I was never able to get the camp game to work with top in hand, although I was the one that proposed the theory. =\

Cutting him off from his top is a vital part of this MU. However, forcing ourselves to hold the top also cuts off a lot of our options, provided that we won't attempt to juggle it.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Holding the gyro + camping from a little short of full stage = you're winning

CelestialMarauder~

Smash Ace
Ehh, I was never able to get the camp game to work with top in hand, although I was the one that proposed the theory. =\

Cutting him off from his top is a vital part of this MU. However, forcing ourselves to hold the top also cuts off a lot of our options, provided that we won't attempt to juggle it.
Does losing our a moves really matter while camping?

Airborne

Smash Lord
Holding the gyro + camping from a little short of full stage = you're winning
It matters when you prefer to air camp ROB. Besides, it's not fun when you're playing with a guy that knows every aspect of your style, due to the fact that a sheik player decided to become the f*cking encyclopedia for this game.

Top Bottom