• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi v. Sheik

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
yoshi bomb has enough lag so that you could just wait for the stars to end before throwing the needles. but yeah creativity and asking questions is the best way to create solutions. keep doing what you are doing sir.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Is it really that impossible to dodge those needles? Cant we just sh air dodge them or something? :/

indigestible_wad

Smash Lord
If the needles are fully charged they'll have a large amount of frames to hit us, and the point is that shiek waits for us to land before hitting us when we're in the air. If we have the ability to air dodge from the ground, wouldn't it be more practical to shield or dodge them while staying on the ground?

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: The problem there is that spotdoding doesn't last long enough against full needle storm.

The problem with shielding is mainly the pushback, especially around platforms. You could also argue the shield drop sucks as well, but that's not relevant, I don't think.

Waiting for people to land and then using needle storm is good. I hadn't thought about that for some reason when I was asking about the dodging of needles.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
But isnt that difficult to do if the yoshi is smart given our airspeed? We can just randomly back up before landing giving us enough time to SHAir Dodge forward through them right?

Yikarur

Smash Master
But isnt that difficult to do if the yoshi is smart given our airspeed? We can just randomly back up before landing giving us enough time to SHAir Dodge forward through them right?

Can someone translate this to a language I understand? (aka: I don't get what he said)

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Aber ist das nicht schwierig, wenn die Yoshi ist smart angesichts unserer Fluggeschwindigkeit zu tun? Wir können nur zufällig zurück bis kurz vor der Landung gibt uns genug Zeit, um SHair Dodge nach vorne durch sie Recht?

indigestible_wad

Smash Lord
He's saying that if we move away with our airspeed, then short hop air dodge after hitting the ground, we can avoid needles. Right?

That shouldn't work. Needles are near instantaneous. You have a few frames when you land before you can do anything else. The sheik doesn't need to time their needles to hit us if they're fully charged. They have a million frames to hit us. Airspeed doesn't help in this case. I suppose there is more chance they can mess up the greater the distance we put ourselves from them, but that shouldn't really do much good, since most legal levels aren't big enough for this to benefit us.

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
Well, if we correctly predict that they are going to use the needles then we can always up-B to delay when we land and avoid them.

Also, about killing... don't forget that Sheik can change into Zelda when we get into kill percents. That basically evens the killing potential of both characters.

:069:

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: She throws things until you try to punish her with something aerial since she has land on lock

and then she upsmashes

so I mean

yeah

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
We even with our shield, blocking/dodging din's fire isnt that difficult, plus our eggs move MUCH faster at mid range

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
Even so, it is extremely difficult to avoid Zelda and her up-smash.

I mean, the move is good. You ARE going to get hit by it (especially if she gets you to the ledge... not a lot of good options there to avoid it). When Sheik turns into Zelda, you are forced to play a game of keep-away, or else it would be too easy for Zelda to hit you with it. =/

Oh, and remember: if Sheik/Zelda Transform right when they come off the invincibility platform, DON'T hit them. They are still invincible after they transform, so it would be a free hit for Sheik/Zelda if you attack them.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
I learned that my very first tournament ever, round 1 i play our best shiek and he goes to change so i charge an usmash and zelda just ***** me... lol... it was funny though because i was such a noob, i tried it again

Airborne

Smash Lord
My signature is so good, it goes with Guile's Theme.
What doesn't go with that theme? XD

Can Sheik crouch a pivot grab (or any grab for that matter)? I think Sheik's crouch can actually tip the scale in our favor.
I doubt it, but you don't need it when you can easily hop over our pivot grab and fair us right on the nose, or just flat out punish a randomly thrown out pivot grab with needles, dash attack, DACUS, etc.

Besides, we most likely won't be pivot grabbing you unless you're landing or shielding.

Edit: OMFG, Torr, I just watched your sig while playing it; SO GOOD.

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
no one has the reaction time to hop over a pivot grab and punish. in fact would you use yoshi's pivot on reaction to me short hopping as an approach?

I gonna throw out a no on the pivot grab.

but it wasn't the pivot that got. Me small errors lead to big damage from bair the occasional full dair; omfg, and uair. yoshi can rack damage and will combo you if you don't understand how to DI knock back and whether or not/when you should dodge out of combos

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
If ducking pivot grab worked you wouldn't have to react or predict. it's be a great defence and would let you relatively be safe in very close proximity because of that. yoshi's pivot grab I'm gonna guess is less than 15 frames sheik gets off the ground at like 5 frames and out of grab range probably at like 7 or 8? sure you can predict put a bad one can very easily lead to punishment yoshi can punish land lag pretty well if he is close to you.

you can react to tons of stuff, you can try to predict even more. some stuff isn't worth trying to predict that's when the idea of zoning comes into play. you want to stay out of zones where your ability to predict is useless.

also I mis typed last post I'm gonna edit it.

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
Yoshi's pivot-grab comes out in 8 frames. XD

As far as I know, the only character I know of that can dodge Yoshi's grab by using a move is Lucas (f-smash... ouch). Not even Snake can crouch under our pivot-grab, so I doubt Sheik can, either.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Dude, come on!

That was the perfect place for you to say, "10frames"

I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU MISSED THAT GOLDEN OPPORTUNITY

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
lol no one is reacting to a ten frame move with a jump...

You can only react to falcon punch.

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
I've reacted to moves faster than that... but I guess you are just using an extreme example. ._.

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
I was being sarcastic about the falcon punch in reference to a previous post.

the average human can can react to something at about 7 frames. It is incredibly difficult to react to frame ten moves which is why even moves like Bower's ftilt is a viable zoning tool.

All this is really moot and not really moving discussion forward though.

Judo777

Smash Master
I punish Pivot grabs with fair.............. but more importantly why approach when u dont have to.

Yikarur

Smash Master
the average human can can react to something at about 12 frames.
fix'd

this is the thread of fixes.

I played germanys best sheik in friendliest last weekend and won almost always, I don't know why lol he is actually so much better than me.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Yoshi is usually a lot better than he looks on paper :3

Top Bottom