• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
One think that I think could slightly differentiate Yoshi's attack from the Villager's is that it could make all physical projectiles roll along the ground and all energy projectiles get spat out.

I would still want him to be able to move around, though... I would love to see him running around with his mouth completely stuffed like he does in Super Mario World... I'd also want the same sound effect. :awesome: I don't think it'd be as good as the Villager's, due to most items rolling on the ground predictably. But I guess it could be considered better too, if he can grab enemies and run to an edge and spit them out... but it probably wouldn't incapacitate them in any way, it'd be like a really weak throw.
http://themushroomkingdom.net/sounds/wav/smw/smw_yoshi_spit.wav

HarryTheChin

Smash Ace
I feel bad for the green dino. He was the only SSB forefather (excluding the four unlockable characters) not to be included in the SSB4 roster after the announcement trailer D':

He better make an appearance with Birdo or some other character from his series. He deserves it.

Enigma14

Smash Champion
This will sound funny but I hope that this time around when Yoshi eats someone, they follow him around like regular eggs.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
I kinda like the flavor of Yoshi having strange takes on elements of the game. Such as his second jump and shield, which can take many hits with the drawback of not being able to jump out of it.

Should Yoshi be able to use transition from his shield to side B (when he rolls in an egg) to further offset the fact that he cannot jump out of his shield?

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
Make him like in Yoshi's Island.

NB: "True" Egg Lay
Like Olimar's NB but slower.
Max 6 eggs.
There's a small chance that you'll lay a red-dotted egg, or a big egg.

Dthrow is now the old Egg Lay.

SB: Egg Throw
The eggs are buffed in speed & knockback, and goes in a straight line as well as ricocheting off surfaces.
Red-dotted eggs deal more damage and has higher knockback.
Big eggs are lobbed - not very far, but packs some serious punch.
It also shakes the ground around it on impact, dealing a little damage & knockback if the egg itself missed.

DB: Same

UB: Egg Sling >_>
Yoshi throws an egg 45' up, forward, then sticks to it with his tongue, thus beeing slingshotted by the egg.
Similar to how Nana slingshots Popo.

Tysonyoshi

Smash Rookie
As a long time Yoshi mainer and fan I only think his shield should be less derpy. A teather recoverey would be outright pointless due to Yoshis almost amazing recoverey in all directions and would look akward. Also what is it with EGG ROLL UZELSS stuff? If you know to control it which isn't that hard and use it unexpectedly its great for approaching or racking damage. I almost never egg roll off the edge. Otherwise I'd say maybe make the egg lay eggs throwable but not for a long distance.

I'll also say that its almost terrible that Yoshi wasn't in the SSB4 Roster when it first got announced.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
This is my idea to buff Yoshi:

-Obviously they're not going to get rid of the Flutter Jump. I'd prefer it to be the Up Special, but I'm thinking it won't happen.
-For N-Special, I'd like it if he can eat items and they become Yoshi eggs. Yoshi automatically can hold up to 6 behind him (this may be hard with the limits of the 3DS, so there can be a limit if needed). Unlike other items, you can hold a Yoshi Egg and an other item at the same time. Yoshi can now use the C-Stick (or whatever replaces it) to fire the eggs in whatever direction you point it in. They can ricochet off walls, collect items like the Dragoons and Lightning, and deal damage to opponents. The best part is whatever you swallowed to create the Yoshi egg thrown will be relative to the effects of the egg. For instance-
  • If you swallowed a Bob-Omb, it will explode on contact with the opponent.
  • If you swallowed a Pitfall, it will pitfal the opponent on contact.
  • If you swallowed a Poison Mushroom, it will shrink the opponent or, if no contact, will continuously shrink each time it ricochets off something until it hits something or leaves the arena.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion

-Obviously they're not going to get rid of the Flutter Jump. I'd prefer it to be the Up Special, but I'm thinking it won't happen.
-For N-Special, I'd like it if he can eat items and they become Yoshi eggs. Yoshi automatically can hold up to 6 behind him (this may be hard with the limits of the 3DS, so there can be a limit if needed). Unlike other items, you can hold a Yoshi Egg and an other item at the same time. Yoshi can now use the C-Stick (or whatever replaces it) to fire the eggs in whatever direction you point it in. They can ricochet off walls, collect items like the Dragoons and Lightning, and deal damage to opponents. The best part is whatever you swallowed to create the Yoshi egg thrown will be relative to the effects of the egg. For instance-
  • If you swallowed a Poison Mushroom, it will shrink the opponent or, if no contact, will continuously shrink each time it ricochets off something until it hits something or leaves the arena.
Getting different colored eggs would be fun, and seeing him with eggs following him would be classic. I don't think the C-Stick thing would happen, though... maybe just use them for his up B. I wouldn't mind if the Egg Throw became his Side B and he got a new Up+B... it never really made sense as an up+special to me, and having it as a Side Special would make aiming it more similar to what it was in Yoshi's Island.

What I wanted was him to be able to eat things like bob-ombs and freezies etc. and and get the "watermelon" powers that he used to (so, eat an explosive/fire item you get flamethrower breath with your neutral special, eat an ice attack or item and get frost breath).

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
What if Sakurai was like "Man, every game I try to make Yoshi good but he always end up subpar and being criticized by hardcore fans as low-tier, so I'm just going to leave him out this one."

Not a Yoshi hater, far from it, he was my main in Melee and character loyalty made him one of my mains in Brawl.

PikaJew

Banned via Warnings

This is exactly what I want.
With Baby Mario riding on his back.

Neutral b - egg lay
Side b - egg throw
Down b - Yoshi bomb
Up b - Yoshi Wings/Baby Mario Cape
Final Smash - Super Baby Mario

Baby Mario can be hit off Yoshi's back if Yoshi is hit enough. When he does he goes into his bubble for 10 seconds until Yoshi can free him. If not he is taken away and doesn't come back until Yoshi dies again or gets a new health restoring item that replaces % and rejoins tandem characters like Ice Climbers. Without Baby Mario Yoshi becomes weaker.
Certain projectiles can be eaten by Yoshi too that cannot be turned into eggs such as Mario's fireball or Samus' missiles. They can be then spit out like in Super Mario World where the fire is spat out as a fire bullet and green shells are spit out and then slide across the ground.

Yoshi's second jump is replaced by his Yoshi's Island flutter jump, which can be used 3 times after the initial 2nd jump, kind of like Kirby or Pit. There is a little bit of lag time between each flutter jump, so vertical distance is sacrificed for more horizontal movement.
Yoshi's up B is now his wings from Super Mario World with Baby Mario's cape flowing as they use it. It works similar to Pit's up B, but not nearly as long. Once it is used he floats back down with the help of Baby Mario at the same pace as Game & Watch.

Yoshi needs to have crazy recovery to become a significant fighter.

The only issue would be not being able to use his Egg Throw in a no item match or without eggs tagging along behind him. A fix for this would be having the stars made from his Yoshi Bomb stick around a little bit longer giving you enough time to swallow at least one and make an egg from it. That way you can still use his Egg Throw.

A cool feature for Yoshi's stage would be to include an egg box where Yoshi characters can jump and hit it to collect eggs. This would actually give a character home stage advantage.

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
This is exactly what I want.
With Baby Mario riding on his back.

Neutral b - egg lay
Side b - egg throw
Down b - Yoshi bomb
Up b - Yoshi Wings/Baby Mario Cape
Final Smash - Super Baby Mario

Baby Mario can be hit off Yoshi's back if Yoshi is hit enough. When he does he goes into his bubble for 10 seconds until Yoshi can free him. If not he is taken away and doesn't come back until Yoshi dies again or gets a new health restoring item that replaces % and rejoins tandem characters like Ice Climbers. Without Baby Mario Yoshi becomes weaker.
Certain projectiles can be eaten by Yoshi too that cannot be turned into eggs such as Mario's fireball or Samus' missiles. They can be then spit out like in Super Mario World where the fire is spat out as a fire bullet and green shells are spit out and then slide across the ground.

Yoshi's second jump is replaced by his Yoshi's Island flutter jump, which can be used 3 times after the initial 2nd jump, kind of like Kirby or Pit. There is a little bit of lag time between each flutter jump, so vertical distance is sacrificed for more horizontal movement.
Yoshi's up B is now his wings from Super Mario World with Baby Mario's cape flowing as they use it. It works similar to Pit's up B, but not nearly as long. Once it is used he floats back down with the help of Baby Mario at the same pace as Game & Watch.

Yoshi needs to have crazy recovery to become a significant fighter.

The only issue would be not being able to use his Egg Throw in a no item match or without eggs tagging along behind him. A fix for this would be having the stars made from his Yoshi Bomb stick around a little bit longer giving you enough time to swallow at least one and make an egg from it. That way you can still use his Egg Throw.

A cool feature for Yoshi's stage would be to include an egg box where Yoshi characters can jump and hit it to collect eggs. This would actually give a character home stage advantage.
This would be absolutely amazing, logical, and perhaps even likely with the upcoming Yoshi Island game. I really love the idea.

ScottSan

Smash Cadet
Seeing as how 7 out of the 8 original Veterans have already been announced, why hasn't Yoshi? That's the only thing that I don't understand.

I've never truly mained Yoshi, but playing as him is still quite a bit of fun! The only fixes I see are:

a) Shield. Like everyone has already said, it doesn't match his skin color, so that's an easy fix. Being able to jump out of it, that's also another easy fix. But I don't think that he should switch to a NORMAL shield, because his Yoshi-Egg shield is kind of unique, seeing as how no one else (that I know of) has a shield of their own.

b) A NEW Triple Jump. The Yoshi Egg toss is great, especially considering it's also a projectile and can give him multiple jump-sessions, but I think Yoshi's well deserving of his own Triple Jump. Maybe his "Dragon Wings" from his FS can come out?

c) Gliding. As stated up above^, his "Dragon Wings" can sprout out, and give him more aerial game (as if he didn't have enough already). But that also adds more strategy and gameplay to Yoshi, and should (hopefully) build a bigger fan-base for him.

d) Tethering. Someone on this thread earlier suggested that he should have tethering, and I don't see why not. Samus can use her beam, Link can use his hookshot, so I don't see what the problem would be with using his tongue. On the plus side of that, Yoshi's tongue length should be longer than normal, considering, well...it's Yoshi!

Almost all of those suggestions aren't mine, and I've seen already on this topic. I take no credit, and give credit to where it's due. I'm pretty sure the only idea that hasn't been mentioned yet is the Glide for Yoshi, but if I'm wrong, I'm sorry. Again...why hasn't Yoshi already been announced? My money's betting that he'll be the next Veteran reveal.

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
ScottSan, I think your ideas would be some nice fixes to make Yoshi a little more accessible too, but I really actually am a fan for some reason of the Baby Mario / Yoshi idea. I just love the dino and hope he's shown in some capacity soon!

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
As one of my favorite games is Yoshi's Island DS, I'd find it really cool if there was some kind of way to switch between babies and they add something to certain attacks, like adding gliding to Yoshi's flutter jump when you use Baby Peach, the Yoshi Bomb is faster and more powerful when you use Baby DK, grab range increases with Baby Wario, and Baby Bowser adds fiery blasts to Smash Attacks. Of course it would be through a taunt (Back Taunt?)

ScottSan

Smash Cadet
As I said, I've never really mained Yoshi before, but he is quite good IMO, just never liked his "not having an Up B". Lol

I also like the Baby Mario / Yoshi idea :p

Zubyyyy

Yung Zuby the Falco God
I honestly think the reason Yoshi wasn't revealed in the announcement trailer was because he is getting an entirely new makeover. Yarn Yoshi, to be exact.

While many people are not buying into this, after looking into some stuff, I firmly believe this is what is going to happen.

Yarn Yoshi was supposed to be shown at E3 this year. However, it was not due to the game 'not being ready to be shown' yet.

Yoshi is a longstanding Nintendo mascot, and has been a part of Smash since the beginning. While he wasn't a part of the official Brawl reveal trailer, he was for the melee reveal trailer, and is one of the original non-unlockable 8 character. He is essentially 100% guaranteed. So why has he not been revealed just yet? My guess is his reveal depends on Yarn Yoshi. If Yarn Yoshi had been ready to be viewed at E3, we might have seen Yoshi. That's just my guess.

ScottSan

Smash Cadet
Good point, chaosSmash. I haven't heard of Yarn Yoshi..is it anything like "Kirby's Epic Yarn" or whatever it was called? If so, Kirby should be yarn-ified too :p

Zubyyyy

Yung Zuby the Falco God
Good point, chaosSmash. I haven't heard of Yarn Yoshi..is it anything like "Kirby's Epic Yarn" or whatever it was called? If so, Kirby should be yarn-ified too :p

Aha in the Halo world I am known as Zuby, so it's weird seeing me being referred to as chaosSmash lol.

Yes it is, only it's supposed to be much harder than the cakewalk that was Kirby's Epic Yarn. It said that in the previous link I posted.

Here's the wiki link to what we currently know about Yarn Yoshi.

http://www.mariowiki.com/Yarn_Yoshi

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
I would be up for Yarn Yoshi being in SSB4, but I'm not sure how I feel about him completely replacing normal Yoshi. Suppose I'd rather Yarn Yoshi than No Yoshi though, haha.

There is a new Yoshi Island game coming up too though, so I'm still rooting for the Yoshi & Baby Mario.

Yoshi

Smash Lord
Has Yarn Yoshi been confirmed thus far, or strictly speculation? I think Yarn should be an alternate costume, might be to distracting, if not alienating to long time Yoshi-mains (such as myself). Feels like it is more of a "go buy this game we're referencing" over actually innovating the character. That said, maybe having Yarn Yoshi would entirely change the character.
Gaa, on the fence!

Zubyyyy

Yung Zuby the Falco God
Has Yarn Yoshi been confirmed thus far, or strictly speculation? I think Yarn should be an alternate costume, might be to distracting, if not alienating to long time Yoshi-mains (such as myself). Feels like it is more of a "go buy this game we're referencing" over actually innovating the character. That said, maybe having Yarn Yoshi would entirely change the character.
Gaa, on the fence!
Yarn Yoshi is officially confirmed.

Zubyyyy

Yung Zuby the Falco God
I'm confuzzled. Did you mean the game itself was confirmed, or Yarn Yoshi was confirmed for Smash 4? I thought you meant the latter.
Lol. The game. My apologies. I assumed everyone had read my earlier post where I described why I thought it was gonna happen lol

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
If I'm honest, like Yoshi(the user), as a fellow long time Yoshi mainer I too think Yarn Yoshi's design may be a little too weird. After all I don't remember us getting Yarn Kirby.

The baby idea is something I heard of before, back in the days of Brawl. People were speculating that Yoshi was going to be getting a redesign, hence why he was the last of the veterans to be shown.

Then he turned up, and everyone was disappointed.
The baby idea is cool, but don't put too much hope on it...the real reason he doesn't appear is Sakurai seems to ignore him the most of the non secret character veterans, hence he is seemingly always the last of the "Original 8" to appear.

As long as they give him back the power he had in Melee, let him jump out his custom shield, give him some decent hitboxes and keep the recovery of Brawl Yoshi I'll be fairly happy.

(Although the teether recovery and ability to eat/grab items with his tongue would also be very welcome)

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
I think if Yoshi wasn't as gimpable with the lack of a good third jump or recovery, he'd be much better overall. That's been the case imo for the last 3 games. Even if it the move itself doesn't make sense, changing his Up+B to anything that gives vertical increase would make him much more accessible.

I'll still play him regardless of how he turns out though.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Yoshi needs power given back to his smashes. Egg needs more angles like in Melee. Still could give him a bit of a pop on the first throw if he is in the air. Allow him to perform side B (Egg Roll) out of his egg shield.

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
just get rid of his egg roll, replace it with egg toss, and add a recovery move.

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
He should be able to throw enemies that have been trapped in eggs with his egg toss.

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
He should be able to throw enemies that have been trapped in eggs with his egg toss.
so you could potentially throw them off the stage.

why not when you grab them and spit them out, they are already in an egg, like when kirby or d3 swallows someone, they turn into a star?

Swift Fox

Smash Lord
It's the year of Luigi and SSB team had to reveal him before 2014 (he's revealed now), making him the non-unlockable character for the first time. Instead, I think they've actually gave Luigi's unlockable status to Yoshi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom