• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
Even though non of us (to be fair) liked the idea of his reveal being held off for this long, now I'm actually grateful because we got video footage of him whereas we wouldnt've if he were revealed like a normal veteran.

Hopefully we can find out more about egg toss and other aspects of him in the next trailer they do. Considering the 3ds version is due to come out in 2-5 months, they'll have the full roster up by then (save for secret characters) so we'll still get a few more trailers for newcomers.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Well when you think about it the reveals for veterans all had something different with them.

ZSS is her own character now with a couple new moves and Jet boots
Sheik is her own character too with stun grenades or whatever
Charizard own character
Yoshi so far has only been shown his new model, no way that could've been the only thing. They'll reveal something in the next couple weeks most likely.

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
Well we only haven't seen his Dtilt, Fair, and aerial egg toss yet if I'm not mistaken, what else could there be? Jumping OoS or aerial egg roll getting a buff possibly?

Egg.

Smash Journeyman
I suppose we also know that his dash attack is completely different from that in any previous games, but I think that Yoshi's moveset is pretty well rounded for the most part. He just needs some buffs here and there to make him more of a threat, his specials in particular. A Side+B that's good for more than just the infrequent surprise KO would definitely be helpful!

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
I hated this video, whoever made this don't know crap about Yoshi and should go main Marth.

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
I hated this video, whoever made this don't know crap about Yoshi, that video offended me as a Yoshi main.

PreacherDudeRox

Smash Journeyman
...her?
This is getting old.
I'll have a look when I get back home. :)
That was a typo, from previously copied text - fixed! Thanks.

These guys have no idea what the flying **** they're talking about lol.
Is this Smash Cast actually Project:M cast? Cause they honestly think Yoshi has kept the same U-tilt since Smash 64. They're also so boring I almost fell asleep, music playing prolly helped though.
Is that a mistake the P:M staff would've done? A P:M dev WAS in fact in that video. And yeah, the music certainly put the nail in the coffin - but Yoshi really didn't get an exciting update past a stance change and some buffs. Even characters like Sheik (Sheik was got two new moves, that's it) still managed to be more interesting. TSC did what they could.

I hated this video, whoever made this don't know crap about Yoshi and should go main Marth.
Only one person in that video actually mains Marth. I believe I stated in that video that I play Yoshi casually, so I do know a bit more than crap, haha.

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
wut, I EDITED my post, not double posted, smashboards being smashboards

Yoshi

Smash Lord
I really like Super Dragon, it's unique given how many Final Smashes copy one another (Fox/Falco/Wolf mainly) and gives him a certain competitive edge.

Yoshi

Smash Lord
Using Yoshi seems like an obligation given my username haha. I'll stick with him as my main-main, but also utilize Greninja and probably Little Mac. In Tekken though, my main there is Steve Fox, figure I might copy that style to Smash.

Yoshi

Smash Lord
Did anyone notice his egg-throw has a rainbow tail now? Nice touch.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
You only believe Sheik was a more interesting reveal cause you find Sheik more fun and viable since she is a good pick in melee.
So opinions be opinions, I honestly think they showed a bit more for Yoshi over a stun grenade and ZSS's DownB to Sheik now lol. They also still haven't shown quite a bit for Yoshi, not movewise but mobility egg toss movements shield etc.

gamer8

Smash Lord
lol that's pretty neat, I never even knew they really named all of these other moves. Noggin dunk made me laugh.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
I'm sure GameXplain will have an in-depth analysis for Yoshi soon.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Nor much of a analysis, you guys just left comments on his character pictures.

Silent Beast

Smash Journeyman
When they make Yoshi brokenly good (I expect nothing less), you'll be able to both tier ***** and stay loyal by playing Yoshi.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Not unless he's somewhat viable. I play too many good people who use good characters for me to even enjoy using him in Brawl anymore. It's just getting roflstomped by good frame data over and over and over.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I'll be sticking with Yoshi.

Me and my two best friends first bonded over SSB64; they introduced me to Nintendo and video games in general. We still meet once a week all these years later to play some Nintendo games together.

As a result Yoshi for me is more than a just cutesy character I kind of like, or a character whose playstyle works for me. He's both of these, but far more cheesily; He's a symbol of that life long friendship.

Admittedly I still hope he's stronger this time around. His tongue range and hit boxes were a fricking joke in Brawl. When Marth's ARM is longer than Yoshi's tongue you know something is wrong.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
'Yoshi stands upright now, so we revealed him this late.'

Ehh.. Sakurai?

Yosher

Smash Ace
NNID
Yosher
I hope his Side B is another recovery move but one that can also be used as an attack. That would be just the right buff.
I don't see why they couldn't make Yoshi's Side B more like Wario's in the air, where Yoshi would do a short hop in the air and jump/break out of his egg to aid his recovery. Why did Sakurai ever feel the need to make Yoshi's Egg Roll SO awful in the air? It's not like it's such a brokenly good move while on the ground, either. Here's hoping this move will receive a good buff. The way it was shown in the video footage at least suggests Yoshi turns around faster with it, so that's a good thing I'd say as it could allow better Egg Roll mind games.

Yosher

Smash Ace
NNID
Yosher
If they buff his Egg Roll in the air in a good way then Yoshi may not even really need a third jump THAT much, since he'll have both his egg-related moves (outside of Egg Lay) to assist his recovery. Not that I'm expecting such a thing, but you never know. Also, I hope they add a rainbow trail to that Egg Roll, at that, similar to his Egg Toss!

Possibly... but let's not be against the idea, altogether. I'd rather be optimistic about anything related to Yoshi-buffing and anything related to Olimar-nerfing. :p
Honestly I'm not sure if that would be such a good idea anyway since Pikmin eating would probably set Yoshi up for a free hit due to his eating animation that would ensue.

Klaww

Smash Cadet
NNID
KlawwTheClown
3DS FC
1220-6841-7284
Yoshi's up-B acted as a recovery move in Brawl. I think you could use it twice before it stopped working? It's been a while.

I'd prefer a Project M styled side-B any day though. That thing is beastly.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
5 jumps for Egg toss in Brawl.
They completely removed it and gave him N64 eggs but gave him a New Side-B that can easily be countered when using it to try and recover.

CourageHound

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4441-9748-5261
I will definitely try my hardest to bring out the best in both Yoshi and Charizard. Though there are more characters I want to try out too like (revamped)Bowser and Greninja.

gamer8

Smash Lord
I might possibly even play Yoshi more than Zamus this time around. My love for that little dino has grown even more lately.

Last edited:

gamer8

Smash Lord
Yoshi's FS in Brawl was really cool, I'd like for it to return but they might change it up to something in the newest Yoshi's Island game.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
I wonder how many people will try to push his game this time around...
If by push his game you mean frame data, hit boxes/bubbles, best use out of any new advanced techniques he could have in Smash 4 etc. I prolly couldn't do that unless I had somebody helping me understand how to make all that work in the first 4 or so months of the games release since I doubt Brawlbox can work for Smash 4 stuff.

But I can be one of those special snowflake people and main Yoshi only. Which I've been doing since smash 64 nyways when it came to seriouslies or tournament matches. I guess match up discussion too since most of us from brawl days have had our fill of helping with the Yoshi community whether it was pointlessly arguing with people in the tierlist/MU chart threads when somebody mentioned Yoshi (which was quite a lot) or actual BBR (S4BR?) discussions.

Scatz

Smash Champion
Not really frame data and hitboxes. I mean just pushing his game to top level play (if he isn't bad in this one). I'll be behind most of you guys since I'm not touching the 3DS version. Hell, it'll depend on whether I enjoy the game enough to get the system.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
I use Yoshi and Donkey Kong about the same. Always have. I probably still will.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom