• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi's Approaches and Where/On Who They Work

Sharky

Smash Master
So yeah, basically I felt like a little more discussion here would be healthy, and in the absence of Bwett's offense guide that he said he'd make back in the spring (lol), I thought we could come up with something for now. This thread will basically be a compilation of approaches at various distances, specifically what works and what doesn't work (I feel this is equally important to mention). We all know nothing works on everyone, so I think that, given the number of new Yoshi mains recently, this will be a very helpful thread in that it focuses on one of the basics of gameplay. Once this obtains a fairly decent amount of information, I'll be adding it to the beginners guide, because this is the kind of stuff we need there.

Some areas to think of:

Ground:
close range
close mid (think dash grab distance)
far mid (maybe 3/4 of smashville?)
far
platform (yoshi on platform)
platform (yoshi off platform)
different types of platforms
behind
shield/spotdodge/roll happy

Air:
Offstage (yoshi)
Offstage (opponent)
Yoshi on ground opponent in air
opponent on ground Yoshi in air
Yoshi above opponent (both in air)
opponent below yoshi (both in air)
equal level
jump-through stages/platforms (sorta the same as the ground topic but I thought I'd put it here too)
ledge/planking opponent
yoshi on ledge

other:

Not Approaching (lol had to add it)

SOVAman

Smash Hero
approaches are not as much decided by character but more by situtation.

it all depends on what position/situation your opponent is

did they just use a laggy move?
are they in the air?
are they on the ground?
facing back or forward?
fast falling?
holding there shield?

Yes characters does have a play into whether or not they can counter it easily or not. But, it is more about situation because technicality any approach can work on any character

Sharky

Smash Master
exactly, it depends on both. notice I also put a whole bunch of situations in there to consider before I got into the character list.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
A bair rush could potentially get you pivot grabbed or usmashed if the Oli is smart. It's a nice approach, but it can be punished. Dash grabs are a good mix up, but susceptible to a spot dodge and then a punish.

Since Oli's usually camp near the edge, a full speed nair or dair could work. If he shields you could just carry yourself off the stage with momentum and get back up.

Sharky

Smash Master
ok I think I'm going to change how I organized the OP. What do you guys think of me placing the emphasis on the situation, and then after each approach listing characters that it works particularly well on or not very well on?

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
I think leaving it open like this is better. It allows people to contribute to what characters they're more familiar with, rather than just a specific topic/character at a time. Kind of like our MU threads.

Sharky

Smash Master
I think leaving it open like this is better. It allows people to contribute to what characters they're more familiar with, rather than just a specific topic/character at a time. Kind of like our MU threads.
there will still be open contribution, I'm not planning one char/topic at a time or anything, just reorganizing

D

Deleted member

You better get an infraction for that.
LOL

Also:
Yoshi's need to not play robotically. Sure a list like this can help. But try MAKING UP STUFF.
Anyone who has played me knows (or maybe they dont know because they dont know yoshi that well) that i make stuff up mid match. I use stuff that IS NOT SUPPOSED TO WORK.
This is much different than how i used to play, but its fun and rediculously effective.

Example, full hop dair above them to DJC egg lay to make u land back in front of them. Not supposed to work at all. XD

Be creative, dont just mix up 5 solid approaches, or however many yoshi has. All of yoshis stuff is punishable in some way, so you gotta make sure they have no idea what you are going to do :D

D

Deleted member

Thats not what i mean.
Dont do followups that are based on opponents being dumb xD
Do stuff that makes ur opponent go
WHAT THE FACK

Metatitan

Smash Master
He's right, I do the same with peach. Before I was primarily based on turnip-> Fair approach, but now I mix it up and make stuff up a lot. Turnip -> uair wouldnt normally work but it does when he tries to counter my turnip Fair approach.

SOVAman

Smash Hero
I have a bad feeling about this thread

and i won't have anything to do with it

so what does that tell you?

Sharky

Smash Master
You better get an infraction for that.
LOL

Also:
Yoshi's need to not play robotically. Sure a list like this can help. But try MAKING UP STUFF.
Anyone who has played me knows (or maybe they dont know because they dont know yoshi that well) that i make stuff up mid match. I use stuff that IS NOT SUPPOSED TO WORK.
This is much different than how i used to play, but its fun and rediculously effective.

Example, full hop dair above them to DJC egg lay to make u land back in front of them. Not supposed to work at all. XD

Be creative, dont just mix up 5 solid approaches, or however many yoshi has. All of yoshis stuff is punishable in some way, so you gotta make sure they have no idea what you are going to do :D
I primarily meant this for beginners who only know about the basic bair/egg/dash attack approaches, but if one of us does something particularly creative, then by all means mention it! The point of this sort of stuff is NOT TO KEEP IT TO YOURSELF, LET OTHERS KNOW ABOUT IT!!! geez, lol

D

Deleted member

Ight for beginners:
Sh bair.
DJ nair
Sh falling egg lay
Full hop bair to egg lay
Full hop falling fair.
Running grab.

CelestialMarauder~

Smash Ace
Well if we're going with the wtf are you doing approaches
DJC Egg Toss from ledge (You egg toss but end up on the stage instead of re-grabbing the ledge. idk how it works i did it like once by accident in a laggy wifi match lol)

Walking Shield grab for the lulz
Egg lay off stage
SH fair onstage
Crawling dtilts

Now mind you most opponents would have to be ******** to get hit by most of these, they would be pretty good for one time surprise attacks

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
I'm just going to add SH retreating Fair to the list. If you space it well and retreat it, it's actually a lot safer if the opponent shields. =P

Mix Ups with the fair:

Forward facing SH > (DJC)Egg Lay
Forward SH/Full hop, (depending on proximity to the edge) > Dair.
Backwards SH > Reversed Egg Lay
Backwards SH > Rising Nair

YoshiIslander77z

Smash Apprentice
just make it into how to apporach *blank* character thread

if u want start with luke i have noo idea how to approach him. maybe i just need to get use to fsmash broken range first

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
just make it into how to apporach *blank* character thread

if u want start with luke i have noo idea how to approach him. maybe i just need to get use to fsmash broken range first
I don't believe his Fsmash hitbox extends behind him. So if he's falling into a pattern of AS camping and Fsmash to kick you out, Air dodge behind him and punish. Yoshi's fast in the air, should work. =P

Top Bottom