• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi's Island and the "Support Ghost"

Vicious Delicious

tetigit destruens
Switch FC
SW 0141 8170 9257
Simple but complicated. Dull yet exciting. The new Yoshi's Island is a small neutral starting stage that appears in SSBB. It has the stage, a tilting platform above the center, and a ghost that brings a platform to either side of the stage at certain set/random occasions.

First of all, as most of you have found out, the stage Yoshi's Story doesn't make a comeback in SSBB. While we lost another neutral stage, we also lost Randall the Cloud, a smiling cloud that resided on the retired stage that would save combatants by rotating through and around the sides of the stage at a set schedule. On the new Yoshi's Island we have the Support Ghost.

Sweet

Kind of, but not quite as much.

He's a mean-looking ghost that saves players in a way similar to Randall. However, his method and schedule to save the day is yet to be totally understood. I've noticed that the time he is able to save the brawlers changes with the seasons. The times I've recorded that he stays in his highest neutral position before sinking to the depths of the stage are 2 seconds, 3 seconds, and 5 seconds.

What stumps me is that every time the season switches (or even during the season), Support Ghost's routine is different. See, the guy may stand on the right side for 5 seconds before sinking, but he'll go to the left (or even rise on the same side) for, say, 3 seconds. I know there's some sort of routine, but I can't find the exact formula. Any info or solution would be highly appreciated so we can solve this mystery.

The second problem we have is SG's name. He'll never have the same reputation or almost cultish following that Randall had, but he still deserves a title. Let's look at him. Analyze the ghost... he's in a column shape with a unibrow and a mean look. Atop his head sits a green and yellow platform that rises and sinks to give or take a player's life.

Wow. That's pretty scary, guys.

Your mission, first of all, is to find SG's routine for rising and falling. You get a bonus if you can find a relation between the seasons. Your second mission, should you wish to partake, is to think of a name for SG. SG or "The Ghost" are such boring names. Bring some life to this colorful character!

Livadas

Smash Rookie
i play on Yoshi's Islans sometimes, but i dont play the stage because i like it (i'd much rather play on final destonation) i play the stage because i love the music XD it sounds so awsome.

SonicMario

Smash Master
The ghost actually has an Offiicial name unlike Randall the Cloud

It had the name since Yoshi's Island: He is Roger the Potted Ghost.

Thysian

Smash Rookie
Let's call him...Charley.

And I'm not sure that there is a pattern. I haven't really studied the stage much, but it may just be that he's set on a random schedule of rotations that defined before the match, or on the fly.

Course, if that were true, then it would be cool to find out how his schedule is randomized. But we may need a hacker for that.

methinkso

Smash Apprentice
Randall Jr, perhaps?

He doesn't screw me over nearly as often as Randall though.

tirkaro

Smash Champion
I always figured that when randall figured out his stage wasn't going to be in brawl, he commited suicide, and SG was his vengeful spirit.

He now gets revenge on the smashers he once saved by being somewhat less predictable than before. DANM YOU RANDALL!!!!

Thus, his name shall be Akuma Randall.

Rebel581

Smash Champion
I want a schedule for his occurrence. The amount of times this guy has killed me because I was beginning to recover, and he pushed me upwards so I was floating helplessly, is way too many.

Xtreme Starfox

Smash Ace
I call it Helpfullghostmouthainthing.

All I know it saved me once and It kills others for me. XD

lime_backwards

Smash Lord
Randall Jr. is my friend. He always comes to my rescue when I need it the most. Yesterday for example, my friend had decided to use Bowser's suicide KO. Right before the both of us plummeted to our deaths, Jr. sprung up and saved my stock! Thank you Randall Jr., thank you!

Xtreme Starfox

Smash Ace
Randall Jr. is my friend. He always comes to my rescue when I need it the most. Yesterday for example, my friend had decided to use Bowser's suicide KO. Right before the both of us plummeted to our deaths, Jr. sprung up and saved my stock! Thank you Randall Jr., thank you!
That must of been a really funny thing to happen, I can Imagen it. XD

GreenMamba

Smash Journeyman
Anyone who does not stick with the name "Whimsical Support Ghost" is a communist.

Jammo

Smash Cadet
I like "Douglas the Ghost"

Gives a Randalish vibe without trying too hard or seeming "Out there"

-Knux-

Smash Ace
Roger is my vote. Too good of a name to waste. Roger the Support Ghost. Has that certain ring to it.

Tube

Smash Rookie
he reminds me of the blob thing from he-man, or the helper blob from that nintendo game..forgot what it was called. He could change shapes to a ladder and all kinds of stuff.

RedMage8BT

Smash Lord
I once got a kill because my opponent tripped on the support ghost as it was going down. Just thought I'd tell you that.

I'd say his name is Support Ghost. He can be called Mr. Ghost, Support, Suppy, Ghost, Porty, Porter, Supper, Sup, or Port.

Xtreme Starfox

Smash Ace
Anyone tested that he might actually appear at different times depending where the characters in the fight are?

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
I vote for Roger. Now shouldn't someone make a poll to decide what name everyone wants? Calling him just the "support ghost" is kinda bland.

Vicious Delicious

tetigit destruens
Switch FC
SW 0141 8170 9257
I'll make a poll if someone compiles a list of all the possible choices.
So can I ;)

So far here's the list from my original post to the most recent post. Multiple variations will be put in parenthesis

Roger (the potted ghost)
Porter
Charley
(Akuma) Randall (Jr.)
Helpfullghostmouthainthing
(Whimsical) Support Ghost
Douglas
Mustafa
Vladimir
Raymond
Dirrus
Sturnip
And all of RedMage8BT's suggestions (view his post here for reference)

Grandeza, either you or I can create a poll for the ghost's name in time. Let's say...Friday, April 11? That way there will still be time for any additional suggestions.

Off the name topic, has anyone really found a clue on SG's lift and fall schedule?

Monk/Honkey/Banana

Smash Champion
The ghost actually has an Offiicial name unlike Randall the Cloud

It had the name since Yoshi's Island: He is Roger the Potted Ghost.
no this is not true...

Roger the Potted Ghost is this

(game play footage)

The platform ghost is an entirely different being...

anyway...whenever a poll pops up I'll vote

Talendime

Smash Ace
Anyone who does not stick with the name "Whimsical Support Ghost" is a communist.
No that's stupid I've always called him "The Grumpy Ghost" and I'm not gonna stop just because Sakurai likes dull, non-childish names.

Xtreme Starfox

Smash Ace
He's some magical ghost you can go though him but that platform can't. XD

Also lol I died today because a diddy kong got attached to my face when I was ontop of it.

Talendime

Smash Ace
Support Ghost has killed me on at least two occasions by eating my pk thunder as he rises.
ooh gotta be careful with that one.
ahaha but hey, Sakurai never said the 'support' ghost was there to help. He is grumpy after all. Maybe he killed you because your character's high-pitched voice was annoying him?

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
I think Ronald would fit. He is Randall's long-lost brother.

Top Bottom