• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

You know, KEN first hated Melee.

ICANTCOUNT123456

Smash Journeyman
I'm not to up to date with all the big name tourney people, but, i read on smashwiki that Ken first did not like melee when he first bought it, but now he's the best Melee player in the world. Give Brawl a chance.

Tabris-

Smash Apprentice
It's directed at the people who are limiting themselves in Brawl because it isn't Melee 2.0.

Also, that it takes time for a game to develop, give it time, then you can say whatever you want about Brawl. Dismissing a game, not even 2 months after its release is a bit pre-emptive to say the least.

Jael Irish

Smash Apprentice
LOL best in the world.

a quarter of the U.S. dont = the World.

I don't mean to kind of put you on the spot here, but actually Ken is possibly the best player Melee will ever see.

He played a tad bit more then just a quarter of the US, and played international as well...so...um...research first before you post?

Also...A lot of people hated Melee, it was weird compared to 64 when it came out, people are gonna hate it and people are gonna love it, its SWF.

SuperLink9

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperLink9
He's the best player in US right? But his SmashWiki profile says one of the best in the world (or something like that)

I don't think you can say that there is ONE best Smasher in the world.

I hated Melee too when I first came out. But then again I'm not a famous Marther.

spindash

Smash Ace
Somehow I feel this is still gonna get bombarded in a short while when some of the professionals or directors of Smash Bros. may point out what they believe to be flaws that hinder the competitive aspects of Brawl; despite Ken's initial distaste of Melee until he later adapted. That's them though. I'm in no position to speak about the future of Brawl because none of us exactly know what's going to happen. I honestly pray that people will get past the cons and appreciate the pros in this perfectly polished game.

In my opinion, Melee was broken (rushed game), but it came out phenominally. One of the greatest tournament games ever developed in my mind. Soon enough we'll find something that breaks Brawl (not to the extent of Melee's exploits, I will admit this right here and now), and I feel that it will come out phenominally. That is, if the community is behind this and supports the game as proudly as they supported Melee and 64 in the past.

Card said it best in a thread semi-forgotten sadly. The community is what makes a game happen competitively, if we love Brawl as much as we love Melee, if we put our heart and soul into the next step, it can become competitive and a thriving game exactly like Melee was.

It's not exactly difficult to adapt to Brawl, but I believe that it's hard on the game right now. 64 had two years until Melee was released, and we carried on Melee's legacy for seven long years that turned rather hardcore before we finally got a taste of Brawl here in 2008. If people continue to think this way and don't throw their support behind this game (well, they do support it. many believe the game is freaking awesome but right now some feel it's not as magical as Melee), then of course Brawl can't make an impact. It's been out for over a month in Japan and only a week here in the U.S., it's going to be difficult to build an even more powerful legacy that's gone strong for seven years.

But it's the support of the Smash Bros. community that will help Brawl thrive. We don't need to let go of Melee, but to embrace Brawl as well would be a healthy choice too. Me, I'm going to remember and play Melee from time to time for the nostalgia it gave me, beginning casually before working my way through my province in the competitive community and having laughs all the way through.

I have a good feeling about Brawl. How about you all?

EarthBound08

Smash Apprentice
Somehow I feel this is still gonna get bombarded in a short while when some of the professionals or directors of Smash Bros. may point out what they believe to be flaws that hinder the competitive aspects of Brawl; despite Ken's initial distaste of Melee until he later adapted. That's them though. I'm in no position to speak about the future of Brawl because none of us exactly know what's going to happen. I honestly pray that people will get past the cons and appreciate the pros in this perfectly polished game.

In my opinion, Melee was broken (rushed game), but it came out phenominally. One of the greatest tournament games ever developed in my mind. Soon enough we'll find something that breaks Brawl (not to the extent of Melee's exploits, I will admit this right here and now), and I feel that it will come out phenominally. That is, if the community is behind this and supports the game as proudly as they supported Melee and 64 in the past.

Card said it best in a thread semi-forgotten sadly. The community is what makes a game happen competitively, if we love Brawl as much as we love Melee, if we put our heart and soul into the next step, it can become competitive and a thriving game exactly like Melee was.

It's not exactly difficult to adapt to Brawl, but I believe that it's hard on the game right now. 64 had two years until Melee was released, and we carried on Melee's legacy for seven long years that turned rather hardcore before we finally got a taste of Brawl here in 2008. If people continue to think this way and don't throw their support behind this game (well, they do support it. many believe the game is freaking awesome but right now some feel it's not as magical as Melee), then of course Brawl can't make an impact. It's been out for over a month in Japan and only a week here in the U.S., it's going to be difficult to build an even more powerful legacy that's gone strong for seven years.

But it's the support of the Smash Bros. community that will help Brawl thrive. We don't need to let go of Melee, but to embrace Brawl as well would be a healthy choice too. Me, I'm going to remember and play Melee from time to time for the nostalgia it gave me, beginning casually before working my way through my province in the competitive community and having laughs all the way through.

This.
I second all of this. :)
At OP: This is good to know, nonetheless. I, personally, adore Brawl, but this is good!

EB08

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
Oh my god, all this double talk about melee vs brawl makes me laugh.

1 minute

"You cant compare brawl to melee, they're two different games."

Next minute

"Look at what happened in melee, the same will happen in brawl."

... XD

XtremeCJ

Smash Apprentice
Oh my god, all this double talk about melee vs brawl makes me laugh.

1 minute

"You cant compare brawl to melee, they're two different games."

Next minute

"Look at what happened in melee, the same will happen in brawl."

... XD

Your mouth in my word!

And btw, saying that someone is the best in the world is the most ****ed up thing I've ever heard. Until he fought me, he's not the best of the world - not because I'm better, but because we don't know. ****ing pseudo pros -.-

PhoenixWiight

Smash Cadet
theres no reason to ever not give brawl a second chance. its TONS better than melee. the only one saying anything bad are crying pros

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
just cause hes great doesnt mean he still doesnt like it. m2k plays brawl now and likes melee much more, but hes an idiot and only does it for "the fame and money," exact quote. (playing for the wrong reasons IMO...). also, i would hardly consider ken the best especially since hes been retired recently. m2k is def considered the best in melee. also, for those arguing the US vs the world debate, the US is home to all the best smashers without a doubt. not to be boastful about our country or anything, but US pwns smash, and no other country can hold up against us. only possibility is japan, which is no where near the size of the US, so your US being 1/4 of the competitive smash world doesn't really hold up. plus, US is still better than JP lol

6footninja

Smash Ace
Best in the world or best in the US.

United States has around 301,139,947 people.
the World has around 6,602,224,175.

Of all those people, even considering the variables of people who don't play Smash, you have to be good to be the best out of them. He eventually came to like Melee, obviously. Most likely, if you are any good at smash or this gaming genre in general. Youll come to like Brawl as well.

Riolu

Smash Apprentice
I know people who haven't bought or even bothered to try the game because some pros don't like it. I never understood why people worship the ground they walk on. They're good at a game...so what?

Anyway, I think everyone is going to come around to brawl, despite how much they think competitiveness has been removed.

Wife

Smash Lord
Chibo, I don't know where a scrub like you gets off calling M2K an "idiot". Do something even mildly important in the community and then maybe you can say something like that.

And this whole world vs. US debate is ********. Ken, arguably, isn't even top 5 in the US, so he's obviously not best in the world. Let it die there.

Dime

Smash Journeyman
I hear Ken didn’t like chicken when he first tried it, but now he sucks down McNuggets like nobody’s business.
Let people decided for themselves whether or not they like chicken.

aznegglover

Smash Journeyman

Beautiful :')

alchfilosofer

Smash Ace
just cause hes great doesnt mean he still doesnt like it. m2k plays brawl now and likes melee much more, but hes an idiot and only does it for "the fame and money," exact quote. (playing for the wrong reasons IMO...). also, i would hardly consider ken the best especially since hes been retired recently. m2k is def considered the best in melee. also, for those arguing the US vs the world debate, the US is home to all the best smashers without a doubt. not to be boastful about our country or anything, but US pwns smash, and no other country can hold up against us. only possibility is japan, which is no where near the size of the US, so your US being 1/4 of the competitive smash world doesn't really hold up. plus, US is still better than JP lol
US isn't better than japan, japan is an FUKING isle and it's first potence (and imagine if it had the same area as the U.S.A.). Not to mention BRAWL and nintendo itself are JAPANESE. so WTF are you smoking?

D

Deleted member

m2k plays brawl now and likes melee much more, but hes an idiot and only does it for "the fame and money," exact quote.
you think he didn't only play for fame and money in melee? do you know how many times Jason has IMed me and told me that he hates melee? you take a genius player, completely changes the control factor in the game, dominates everyone, but he's an idiot because he puts up with 3 years of garbage from hundreds of players like you that give him **** and just want him to lose for owning so hard. The only reason M2K dislikes either smash game is because of people in the community like YOU, so stay in your ****ing place.

Doomxeen

Smash Rookie

The topic creator very obviously exalts the old melee pros. The irony being that we will likely never have anyone that will stand out as much in brawl as ANY of the major names did in melee. The limiting nature of brawl will see to it that years down the road we won't be sitting around marvelling at brawl pros' videos like we STILL do today for melee.

As usual though. I'd love nothing more than to be proven wrong about this. Before getting all upset at people who have a problem with the game, remember that there is a clear difference between healthy optimism and delusion.

-sonny-

Smash Journeyman
Can we just stop these topics? It's already been decided that some people don't like Brawl, and some do. What's the point in discussing it further? Do you want to tell the people that dislike Brawl that they're wrong? Why would you even care about doing that?

Top Bottom