• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

You know what Dedede's design reminds me of?

Niko Mar

Smash Lord
IKR, that's why Ted Lewis would be awesome to voice him. It's not like it'd stand out, we basically have Meta-Knight's voice from the anime (albeit a different VO).

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
The only different design aspect of the anime Dedede is that he lacks the robes, something that Smash Dedede has.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Yeah. And, you know, the face and body structure. But hey, other than that they're exactly alike!
That body structure also holds true to Brawl Dedede. 2D Dedede usually has a bigger head because he's part of a platforming game, where it'd look weird if his head was too small. The face is just Dedede really, might aswell be from Return to Dreamland.

Dedede has never really undergone any drastic design changes really, the Kirby cast is very much like the Mario cast in that regard, they look similar throughout all the games (except Meta Knight, who's cape looks slightly different in Super Star than in every other game.) The robes and the giant-ass belt with a somewhat bigger pattern on it is the only thing that sets anime Dedede apart from the video game incarnations, and this Dedede doesn't have any of that.

Check this out:

Kirby Mass Attack Concept Art:

Kirby Super Star Ultra Concept Art:

Same proportions, same face, official concept art, closer to his Smash 4 incarnation. Of course he looks different in-game in these games because his head is supposed to be bigger.

AncientTobacco

Smash Lord
That body structure also holds true to Brawl Dedede. 2D Dedede usually has a bigger head because he's part of a platforming game, where it'd look weird if his head was too small. The face is just Dedede really, might aswell be from Return to Dreamland.

Dedede has never really undergone any drastic design changes really, the Kirby cast is very much like the Mario cast in that regard, they look similar throughout all the games (except Meta Knight, who's cape looks slightly different in Super Star than in every other game.) The robes and the giant-*** belt with a somewhat bigger pattern on it is the only thing that sets anime Dedede apart from the video game incarnations, and this Dedede doesn't have any of that.

Check this out:

Kirby Mass Attack Concept Art:

Kirby Super Star Ultra Concept Art:

Same proportions, same face, official concept art, closer to his Smash 4 incarnation. Of course he looks different in-game in these games because his head is supposed to be bigger. Sorry about the size of the pictures btw.
Neither of those looks like anime Dedede though.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
And my point was that SSB4 Dedede doesn't look like anime Dedede. So... okay?
Yeah. And, you know, the face and body structure. But hey, other than that they're exactly alike!
I just misread this post I presume, or I didn't catch on to some sarcasm or something. Sorry about that.

Either way, I guess I've made my input on my opinion of the topic either way then, so no biggie.

AncientTobacco

Smash Lord
I just misread this post I presume, or I didn't catch on to some sarcasm or something. Sorry about that.
You were saying that the only difference between anime Dedede and Smash Dedede is the robes, weren't you?
The only different design aspect of the anime Dedede is that he lacks the robes, something that Smash Dedede has.
Or did I misunderstand something? I was saying that anime Dedede's face and body structure are different too.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Oooooooooooooooooh. Now I get it. Nono, I just misunderstood your post twice, so it's nothing on your part.

But yeah, they're slightly different in that way too, but it's not too noticeable. I just stated the most obvious difference, but you are right.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I made a run-down analysis in Tumblr about what all designs SSB4's Dedede seems to be inspired of and how it differs from Brawl:

• First of all, you might notice that his pupils has been made smaller from the Brawl-self, which makes him look more goofier, reminiscent of his character art from the earliest Kirby-games.

• Compare to Brawl Dedede who had more googlier and cutified eyes, which seems to make him look like his Super Star-version (and to some extent modern look). Like we all seem to agree now, it made him look too "cute" to be considered the king we all love (to pummel up.) It also seemed to eat away his expressiveness to some degree.

• Many agree that he has gained very mischievous-looking and brashy expressions that make Dedede look reminiscent of his Kirby Anime-self. This amplifies these said personality traits and makes him look one of the more comedic and eccentric character in the roster.

• Once again, Sakurai didn't leave even the little bits of details out when considering questions such as "how would Dedede look when his eyes are shut?"
    In SSB4 when dazed, Dedede closes his eyes in same style as when possessed by Dark Matter in Kirby's Dreamland 2 and 3.

• I let this speak for itself:

I'm just amazed by the sheer faithful presentation put on these characters in this iteration: SSB4 has never looked so good with all the color and expressiveness with all these characters, meanwhile being an easter eggs pertaining to character design and presentation while at it. It's incredible.

Sakurai, big damn kudos to you. He just can't stop staying as one of my biggest inspiration models. (aggravating choices withstanding)

Last edited:

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
I need Southern Dedede in a video game.

Honestly, though, I'd be fine even if it was basically Brawl's voice.

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
so what you're trying to say is that ddd reminds you of ddd

an astute observation if there ever was one

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
When King Dedede first got revealed, I thought he looked ugly. Don't quite like that personality he has, much rather prefer the more friendly and goofy Brawl looking Dedede. But it's still an improvement of design I guess. Don't really like it yet. All I hope is that that damn Down Throw gets worked on.

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom
I do see quite a bit of similarities between this game and the anime. If only other characters could be so expressive.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Somehow, I feel like we'll get the old Sakurai Dedede voice (Which I like), but Southern Dedede would be hilarious....

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!
For some weird reason, King Dedede kind of reminds me of King K Rool somewhat, c'mon you have to admit they kind of have quite a few things in common.

toadster101

Banned via Warnings
NNID
toadster101
3DS FC
1891-1323-0892
Wasn't Sakurai directly involved in the production of the anime? That would explain a lot.

Jellyfishn

Smash Journeyman
I really love how expressive and awesome they made him. Any pic of the day with Dedede and Luigi becomes my new favorite pic.

Top Bottom