• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

You know what's dumb about Wikipedia?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mud Buddha

Smash Ace
The way that if you check the ***** page, you can find THREE (count them) images, but if I want to find an image of a "famous" athlete I can't find anything.

Wikipedia, what the ****.

----

***** is censored? It says PEN 15 EVERYONE, PEN. 15.

Skywalker

Space Jump
Use Google Image Search. ;)

[term for male reproductive organ beginning with 'p'] and [term for female reproductive organ beginning with 'v'] aren't very offensive, as people use [term for male reproductive organ which is also a male name] and [term for female reproductive organ which is also called a cat] anyway. I don't know why vBulliten sensors it.

Mud Buddha

Smash Ace
P.S. Why were you looking up *****es?
Well, you know, time makes fools of us all.

It's just, what irks me is that out of all the millions of contributors to Wikipedia, the only ones who can be bothered to actually provide images are the ones who want to post pictures of thier *****es.

I mean, it's meant to be an encyclopaedia.

edit: Jesus, I just checked through the ***** page the ejaculation page. What the hell, is this like, one guy who just does this stuff?

editedit: They're customised by the admin. Censored words that is.

Dibs

Smash Lord
Are you jealous that your ***** isn't big enough to be up there or something?

Nope the word isn't allowed. Sorry you guys, don't use it. It's the rules.
~Bmess

Skywalker

Space Jump
It's just, what irks me is that out of all the millions of contributors to Wikipedia, the only ones who can be bothered to actually provide images are the ones who want to post pictures of thier *****es.
They're immature or mislead. You don't see that number of images in regular encyclopedias. I do not see what the big deal is. Wikipedia is free; you aren't renting or paying for it, and plus, there are thousands of other (more reliable) sources on the web.

Rici

I think I just red myself
BRoomer
NNID
Riciardos
Then how will those kids ever learn anything?

Mud Buddha

Smash Ace
They're immature or mislead. You don't see that number of images in regular encyclopedias. I do not see what the big deal is. Wikipedia is free; you aren't renting or paying for it, and plus, there are thousands of other (more reliable) sources on the web.
It's not that I feel as though Wikipedia is betraying any obligations it has made because, of course, it hasn't made any.

I'm just saying that as a unified resource, it's particularly imbalanced.

Scav

Tires don Exits
BRoomer
I don't understand people who hate Wikipedia. They always have lame or misinformed reasons.

"You can't tell if it's accurate!" Well, no. You can't. But it's way more accurate than a google search. In fact, it's more accurate than Britannica.

you also have to use it for the right reasons. If you want background on just about anything nerd-related, then Wikipedia is an amazing resource. If you want common knowledge on most things, Wikipedia works, and has way more information than the 1-2 paragraphs you get from a paper encyclopedia. And sometimes it surprises, with really good information on obscure material.

Wah, wah, it's biased, wah, how come whenever I read Reddit it's all politics and tech news? How come when I read anything on a popular-culture driven, nerd-oriented medium called the Internet, it always skews towards popular culture and nerd trivia? Why, god, why? If only I owned an expensive encyclopedia, I would be able to find and download a picture of a "famous" athlete, and then I wouldn't have to come online to a message board to complain how I misused the internet's resources!

Mud Buddha

Smash Ace
Wah, wah, it's biased, wah, how come whenever I read Reddit it's all politics and tech news? How come when I read anything on a popular-culture driven, nerd-oriented medium called the Internet, it always skews towards popular culture and nerd trivia? Why, god, why? If only I owned an expensive encyclopedia, I would be able to find and download a picture of a "famous" athlete, and then I wouldn't have to come online to a message board to complain how I misused the internet's resources!
That's exactly my point though. Wikipedia is designed to be (and claims to be) an encyclopaedia, NOT a nerd-oriented info site. The reference regarding a famous athlete was just one such choice for an article meeting the criteria, as is the pen15 page. I could've used the highway code, or "the combine" respectively otherwise.

So I guess, if you boil it down, my argument is that: It's dumb that this "awe inspiring" "revolutionary reference point of information" that we call the internet is so inclined.

Beyond that, I do like wikipedia (you'll note the thread title =/= Wikipedia is dumb). It's a great idea that probably sounded fantastic in theory.

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
WARNING: SEXUAL CONTENT.

Alas, then there was only me and my hand. And it indeed ejaculated fericiously... until I passed out...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom