• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Young Link Discussion

AXE 09

Smash Master
I'm sorry D: I've been focusing so much on Pikachu lately that I haven't really been playing much YL.
I definitely need to start playing him more like I was. I've been losing it with him lol

rhan

Smash Hero
Good. Let me shine as Young Link. It's already hard enough when I'm getting compared to people like you, Laijin and Armada.. :[

All love doe <3

JemTheScrub101

Smash Cadet
Hey, I've got a question about YL. I chose this thread because i saw Axe post something in it, and he's the only YL i've seen who does this so far. What i mean is that, he pulls out a bomb in a ledge hop, and i just don't get how that's possible, even in Version 1.0. I always end up falling down because of the bomb pull lag.
Does this trick have any significant uses other than staying on the ledge afterwards?

rhan

Smash Hero
Yes.

If you do it right while edge hopping, you keep a good majority of invincibility while obtaining a bomb. Once you re-grab the edge with the bomb you're able to edge hop and use that bomb to turn around a bleak looking situation.

zz_halim

Smash Apprentice
@AxE yoo would be so cool if you started picking ylink up more often in tournaments.
I got so hyped when i found the set vs chu, all the other sets are so old. :(
and @ zenith you changed to pika after losing one match :D

Kidney Thief

Smash Journeyman
It's easy to pick Peach and spam dsmash against noobs, but getting a win with Yink is much more fun. Besides, it just dosen't feel right when you win without the zelda music in the background on the results screen

HaND_MasTeR

Smash Rookie
Can you sh bair and then double jump out of it? it looks like Axe is doing that in some of the videos i have watched but i can't make it happen when i try

Ocean

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
OCEAN#0
Can you sh bair and then double jump out of it? it looks like Axe is doing that in some of the videos i have watched but i can't make it happen when i try
you can, but it's stupidly difficult. I've only seen axe be technically proficient enough to do it consistently. I'm pretty sure you have to jump out of its IASA frames?

zz_halim

Smash Apprentice
i don't know the exact properties of the engine, if it's sort of an autocancel or not, but you just doublejump before you land. i want to make a thread about it. i can't do it consistently but i've done it many times, it's definitely doable

Last edited:

EddyBearr

Smash Lord
@AxE: During your KoC3 match with MacD, there were a few instances in which he tried to dsmash and you were just pushed away in your shield while facing him. When that happens to me as YL, I shield grab (safe even with her hitboxes) and end up with either an up-tilt up-air combo or a d-air kill depending on percent and DI. What are your thoughts on that? I'd figure you'd have tested something like this already and I was unsure why you weren't doing it.

Last edited:

rhan

Smash Hero
If you don't FF the SH you can do it. Just break the habit of SHFFL and it should be easy.

AXE 09

Smash Master
@AxE: During your KoC3 match with MacD, there were a few instances in which he tried to dsmash and you were just pushed away in your shield while facing him. When that happens to me as YL, I shield grab (safe even with her hitboxes) and end up with either an up-tilt up-air combo or a d-air kill depending on percent and DI. What are your thoughts on that? I'd figure you'd have tested something like this already and I was unsure why you weren't doing it.
YL is one of the few characters who can shield grab Peach's Dsmash and it's actually really good. I just don't do it because I'm not used to shield grabbing at all lol. Pikachu's shield grab is terrible so I'm very used to going for other options.

Double jumping out of a SH Bair is easier if you use your control stick for your double jump, because it buffers for a few frames. If you use X/Y, you only have a 1 frame window. But with your control stick, it's like a 5 frame window or something

Shino

Smash Apprentice
I am trying to pick up Young Link as a secondary (Peach is my current main). I havent used him in tournament yet, but I can see some potential. Hopefully someone can help me out with a few things.

1: I have been using Down-tilt > Down-air / up air against a Marth/Peach main and succesfully killing him with this combo around 105% on Pokemon Stadium. Does this stuff work on a Marth/ Peach player with proper (smash )DI too?

2: How do you get the quick jab? Sometimes I get it when I am mashing the A button hard as I can, but I was wondering if there is an easy trick behind it?

zz_halim

Smash Apprentice
i experimented a bit and the quick jab comes out if you press A instantaneous after jab 2.
You can delay jab 2 though, that doesn't matter

Shino

Smash Apprentice
Thanks ^^

I have noticed that bomb re-catching pressure from Laijin is very usefull in certain matchups. Especially against characters like Peach and Jiggz.

I don't understand why top players like Armada arent doing this already.

crucifix

Smash Rookie
I wouldn't say "especially" so. I don't know how to properly explain it but I get the feeling that jiggs specifically has an easier time getting away from that pressure or won't even be caught in it to begin with. If they were to play the match up right, despite as much as I hate it, patience and smart decisions could move the match into her favor. Plus armada is more tactical than technical as a young link. I know he knows the tech I just don't believe he is confident enough with the character to put it to use.

Addendum; I know YL is a pure counter to jiggs but I feel like the match up is like 50/50-60/40 in her favor ever since his matches with both Axe at MLG and Armada at EVO. Those were both fairly different playstyles and they ultimately got shut down. Hbox may be on a different level as a puff main, but it doesn't make it impossible for others to learn from those matches. Puffs have an advantage now with such knowledge. So what does YL do now? Stick to the same formula? 300% more camping?

zz_halim

Smash Apprentice
hungrybox was just too godlike efficent with dodging most of armadas projectiles in their last matches.

I also often wondered why armada doesn't re-catch bombs, guess because it's safer to just pull another

JCBeef

Smash Rookie
Yo @ AXE 09 AXE 09 or anybody that knows I guess, I've just seen axe do it. But the nair from ledge -> Re-grab ledge I've seen you do sometimes do you just have to be mad quick for that to work? Or does hitting a person / shield extend your time and let you re-grab? Cause every-time I've seen it happen you've hit someone then re-grabbed.

zz_halim

Smash Apprentice
The way I can do it semi-consistently:
Tap Back and let go to neutral
Press Y and then A as fast as you can as soon as the stick is in a neutral position
-> regrab
You can Tap Down to let go, too but it's more risky if you mess up because DAir kills you but BAir not.
Timing is tight but you don't have to be frame perfect.
I guess hitting a shield/person doesn't matter because the way I understand freeze frames is kinda like that time freezes, so it doesn't affect the position you are in when the move's animation is done.

edit: i mean time freezes for the characters involved in hitlag.

Last edited:

zz_halim

Smash Apprentice
I watched the Armada vs Hbox EVO 2012 match again and i think after game 1/2 Hbox just stayed in a place diagonal to Ylink (where projectiles can't reach him) and tried to punish from there. What would be a good way to counter-punish this behaviour from puff?

Mr. Jam

Smash Apprentice
One thing I've been wondering... What do I do when I've got a grab on a spacie, are there any guaranteed combos I have after a grab or...

And it's the same thing with the other high tiers I guess

JCBeef

Smash Rookie
One thing I've been wondering... What do I do when I've got a grab on a spacie, are there any guaranteed combos I have after a grab or...

And it's the same thing with the other high tiers I guess
Low percents probably down throw if they don't tech you can get a downsmash / jab reset usually. Or set up some sort of tech chase. So if the spacie is normally teching you can do a quick bit of dashing around outside of get up attack range after the down throw and react to their tech / roll / get up attack. Techs might be harder to follow up on though.

Mid/High % - Up throw probably you can usually convert it into like nair or sometimes dair to send them off stage and set up an edgeguard I haven't messed around with it too much but you might also be able to do upthrow>up-air>land on platform>Dair or Nair I might try this

Stupid high percents (like IDK 150%+) you can down throw into really silly stuff like forward tilt lol

Against floaties definitely downthrow for days you can convert into downair at high percents and kill.

I don't know as much against shiek / marth

Mr. Jam

Smash Apprentice
Low percents probably down throw if they don't tech you can get a downsmash / jab reset usually. Or set up some sort of tech chase. So if the spacie is normally teching you can do a quick bit of dashing around outside of get up attack range after the down throw and react to their tech / roll / get up attack. Techs might be harder to follow up on though.

Mid/High % - Up throw probably you can usually convert it into like nair or sometimes dair to send them off stage and set up an edgeguard I haven't messed around with it too much but you might also be able to do upthrow>up-air>land on platform>Dair or Nair I might try this

Stupid high percents (like IDK 150%+) you can down throw into really silly stuff like forward tilt lol

Against floaties definitely downthrow for days you can convert into downair at high percents and kill.

I don't know as much against shiek / marth
Wow, thanks.

Mr. Jam

Smash Apprentice
I DONT UNDERSTAND HOW ARE YOU SO TECHNICAL?!?!?!?!

Last edited:

EddyBearr

Smash Lord
Anyone opposed to having a brand new "Video & Player Finder" thread?

The boards, especially the stickies, are quite unorganized and information isn't centralized in any way.

zz_halim

Smash Apprentice
good idea to bring all the "new" material in one place. but I personally don't mind searching youtube at all, guess I'm not the only one

Top Bottom