• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Young Link Discussion

EddyBearr

Smash Lord
Working on the thread, I'll have that up soon.

Anyone else really dislike playing against Luigi or Samus as Young Link? It doesn't feel too bad, but they punish Young Link super hard if he fails a hit-confirm. Likewise, I dislike playing against Zelda for two reasons: more time = more feet, and she can always just down-b.

Kidney Thief

Smash Journeyman
Lately I've been getting into Young Link again. Used to main him for 4 years, and it just feels smooth as eggs to go back to him. Sadly I feel like he just doesn't cut it on some match ups like Falco. Also great matches Axe

Last edited:

EddyBearr

Smash Lord
Why isn't Young L in PM???
Because Toon Link is in PM (and honestly is probably a better choice for a "Little Link".) I just wish he wasn't made obsolete by Link stealing his playstyle.

Can anyone explain to me how to ledge cancel Young LInks down airs on the sides of the platforms on Battlefield?
Just edge-cancel it as you would anywhere else. Down-air, hit the ground, and use some retained momentum to slide off. Just takes some practice.

Hanbit

Smash Rookie
does anyone else wonder what uses Young Link's Down Tilt would have?

It's got great pop up ability at mid percents, but it's so slow to come out. so what would it be used for?

EddyBearr

Smash Lord
it spikes at the edge.
...oh...well that's actually tremendously useful. Thank you.
It's actually a meteor smash and is so weak that it's very easy to meteor cancel. I think DSmash is usually better at the edge, but less stylish.

I use it sometimes on tech-chases or on high percent opponents as a mix-up, but it's an unreliable move that you should generally avoid using.

Hanbit

Smash Rookie
I guess it's just situational then. From what i see you can't casually implement it into your playstyle.

Malkasaur

Smash Journeyman
Hello! Former Kirby main here. Since I no longer main Kirby, I'm thinking of picking up a few characters, and Young Link is one of them. Does anyone have any tips for playing the little guy?

Malkasaur

Smash Journeyman
Marth's not that good against Kirby :( but I opted for Sheik and finally beat Kirby once. I wish my YL could take on Kirby.
Marth is too good against Kirby. IMO, the MU is almost unwinnable for Kirby. Kirby struggles against characters with disjointed hitbox's. As for YL vs Kirby, I'm not sure what to say. It's obviously in YL's favor, but the MU isn't exactly easy unless you know what Kirby can do.

EddyBearr

Smash Lord
Marth is too good against Kirby. IMO, the MU is almost unwinnable for Kirby. Kirby struggles against characters with disjointed hitbox's. As for YL vs Kirby, I'm not sure what to say. It's obviously in YL's favor, but the MU isn't exactly easy unless you know what Kirby can do.
Nah it's definitely one of Kirby's better top tier matchups, or perhaps right in the middle. This should still mean it's like 70-30, but Sheik, Fox, Falco, and probably IC's and Peach all do better. I'll ask Triple R about this next time I see him, though (95% chance this weekend) and get back to you on this with confirmation, but I'm pretty sure he told me this himself.

For Marth, Sheik, YL vs Kirby, here's my experience (Also Fox and Luigi because I've tried quite a bit..lol)
YL >> Kriby
Marth >>> Kirby
Sheik >>>> Kirby
Luigi >>>> Kirby
Fox >>>>>> Kirby

Last edited:

Jiggsbomb

Smash Ace
People who main :younglinkmelee: are 90 % of the time awesome people. Even though I don't main YL, I can still see why some people do! He is a character that many people sleep on!

EddyBearr

Smash Lord
Can anyone explain to me how to do the horizontally moving up b move while on the ground with Young Link?
Two interpretations.
1: Moving left/right anywhere on the stage slowly while spinning: This isn't possible in Melee. Young Link isn't Toon Link.
2: Sliding off a ledge with a grounded up-B: You just have to up-B on the ground when/just before you'd fall off the ledge.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qzfr9iepFgQ#t=1m11s (Example of interpretation 2).

Jimmology

Smash Cadet
Two interpretations.
1: Moving left/right anywhere on the stage slowly while spinning: This isn't possible in Melee. Young Link isn't Toon Link.
2: Sliding off a ledge with a grounded up-B: You just have to up-B on the ground when/just before you'd fall off the ledge.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qzfr9iepFgQ#t=1m11s (Example of interpretation 2).
Thanks a lot, here's a link for future reference of the instance I saw it in that got me so curious. http://youtu.be/rcW36NHJcGI?t=2m33s

zz_halim

Smash Apprentice
It also makes it way easier to get on the edge and not die if you hold to the stage (Control Stick) immediately after you initiate the up. The way i understand how it works is that when you're in the air with your Up-B you can change directions. even when you initiated it on the ground. So in the small time window after you fall off you drift further to the edge which lets you initiate the Up-B way later at the edge then with Control Stick in neutral without dying.
This heavily increased my success rate.

Edit: There actually is a certain distance between YLink and the edge, when you start the Up-B there you actually have to have the Control Stick in neutral or he will not hang himself on the ledge, because he lands back on stage after shortly being in the air if you hold inwards.

Also all this relates to a running Jump-Canceled Up-B

Last edited:

TriNewton

Smash Cadet
Super late reply but yes lol. Airdodge hookshot upwards while close to a wall.
And thanks you guys!
Sup Axe! While you're here, could you also tell me the inputs you did here:

watch?v=NWUarsV0Mk4&t=2m12s

(Sorry, it won't let me post the entire link. Apparently I have to have 10 points. But it's a youtube link and if you see any other youtube link you'll know how to copy and paste it in.)

Even the commentators are surprised, haha. Do you - grapple -immediately airdodge upwards -hold right on the control stick?

Last edited:

crucifix

Smash Rookie
Sup Axe! While you're here, could you also tell me the inputs you did here:

watch?v=NWUarsV0Mk4&t=2m12s

(Sorry, it won't let me post the entire link. Apparently I have to have 10 points. But it's a youtube link and if you see any other youtube link you'll know how to copy and paste it in.)

Even the commentators are surprised, haha. Do you - grapple -immediately airdodge upwards -hold right on the control stick?
it's basically the same thing. air dodge hookshot upward. practice it. it's fairly easy.

Jimmology

Smash Cadet
So, I'm playing Young Link and Marth is about to edge guard me with a meaty forward smash. I'm using my up b attack to travel upward straight into Marth's sword. How do I best ledge tech this attack so I don't get wrecked? Do I hold L and spam my analog stick up or down into the attack?

Jimmology

Smash Cadet
So, I'm playing Young Link and Marth is about to edge guard me with a meaty forward smash. I'm using my up b attack to travel upward straight into Marth's sword. How do I best ledge tech this attack so I don't get wrecked? Do I hold L and spam my analog stick up or down into the attack?
Image didn't work, here is a link to the scenario above. http://imgur.com/i8mLzul

zz_halim

Smash Apprentice
hold down
jump
B

one after the other as quick as possible.

if you want to shoot an arrow instead of pulling a bomb you have to let go down very quickly

zz_halim

Smash Apprentice
The arrow one I think is a one-frame link. The bomb is like 3 frames or so.
ehm personally i find the arrow easier in general if you got the flicking down and releasing immediately going. i also looked in the frame data thread and it seems that firing an arrow takes 38 frames (13+25) and pulling a bomb takes 40.

EddyBearr

Smash Lord
ehm personally i find the arrow easier in general if you got the flicking down and releasing immediately going. i also looked in the frame data thread and it seems that firing an arrow takes 38 frames (13+25) and pulling a bomb takes 40.
Yeah, if you're good at puling off the demanding flick then arrow might be easier, but I think the arrow has 1 frame links. Perhaps less overall time but more technically demanding to input.

Top Bottom