• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Your control scheme

MrZero

Smash Cadet
1.) What kind of controller do you use?2.) Do you have the buttons mapped differently?3.) How do you hold your controller?
That last question might sound weird, but I've noticed I don't hold my controller the same way I see other people hold theirs. Lemme explain:
1.) First party GameCube wired (Silver)2.) Default control scheme3.) My left hand holds it 'regularly.' Right middle finger is on the trigger. Index is curled around the face buttons; it's actually on top of X and Y. Whenever I'm doing nothing, my thumb will sit on the B button.
You don't need as much detail as I put, but I'm curious to see how other people handle their controls. Do you think any of your methods are better than unnamed other method? Let's hear it!

EDIT: 4.) Why do you use them? (that sounds vague but I couldn't think of another way to word it lol)

I use GameCube for a couple of reasons. I started out using nunchuck because I'm an idiot. Then I simultaneously went back to Melee for whatever reason and wanted to learn how to DACUS and such. I use default controls because that's what I've used since I was about 6. And I have no idea why I hold my controller the way I do; it just sort of happened.

Reckless4Christ

Smash Ace
1-CCP
2-Yes, I have the L button set as jump for OoS stuff and because it makes stuff like SHTL easier
3-Normally
4-Because of four shoulders instead of three

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008
1.) Wii Remote & Nunchuk
2.) I have everything the same except tap jump is my jump, the C button on the Nunchuk is grab, and the D-pad is my directional fast-smashes(C-stick)
3.) Nunchuk left hand, Wii Remote right.
4.) Why? When brawl came out I wanted something new. Btw it grows on you after the years.

Ghostbone

Smash Master
1. Gamecube controller

2. L is shield, R is attack, Z is jump, Y is jump, X is grab, A is attack, B is special, C-stick is smash
Up taunt is special, Side taunts are grabs, down taunt is jump (for mashing), tap jump off.

3. Uhh...normally most of the time, I claw for pivot grabs though.

4. Why? Because it's the best set up for Brawl's techs. Like everyone should have something similar to that (you can switch X and Y or R, Z and L I guess), it's just people aren't inclined to change from what they're used to. (and a lot of people play melee too, can be hard to get used to different controls all of the time, but for me, not really since I'm used to having to switch between them, kinda like playing two instruments and getting used to reading music on both of them)

Tysonyoshi

Smash Rookie
Wiimote+Nunchuck
I've never played melee (Don't have a gamecube) and it was how I learned to play Brawl.

No tap jump. Grab is down on dpad because I just find it eaiser than pressing A and B at once. Side taunts are left and right on dpad for the same reasons as grab.

Nunchuck on left hand and wiimote right. I genrally hold it normally but I tend to move my thumb around alot when chaingrabbing at times.

The only controller aside from just the wiimore I have access to and it was how I learned to play and I find it much eaiser. I have trouble pressing 2 or more buttons are once so I used down dpad for simplicity.

Maple Hood

Smash Rookie
1) Gamecube Controller
2) R - Attack, Tap Jump: Off, the rest is set to default
3) If I need to use B in the air then I move my right index to the B button and my middle finger to the X button.
4) Same reason I use an arcade stick, because it's the most comfortable to me. I tried the other controllers too, and they just didn't quite do it for me. The control scheme is so that I can get DACUSes more consistently. It's mostly for Wolf, but it doesn't necessarily tamper my Ice Climbers play so I just use it as default.

Last edited:

Metalbro

ILikePirates
NNID
SwiftJaws
Switch FC
SW-4480-4128-0819
Normal GCC setup, sometimes I move my index finger to the A button like the picture to the right in the post above me.

Too bad I'll have to change all that cuz my last GCC broke and I have to use a CCP.

FIREL

Smash Ace
1) Wiimote + Nunchuk

2) Everything is the same except:
- C: Grab
- D-pad Down: Jump
- D-pad L/R: Jump
- D-pad Up: U-Smash

I came up with this scheme when I wanted to learn how to "Thunder Storm" with Ganondorf. Basically slide my thumb from D-pad Down > A to short-hop + aerial. D-pad Down is used for short-hopping.
D-pad-Up is U-smash because it allows me to do things like BDACUS or Infinite Dimensional Cape.

Alternative scheme (Snake):
- C: Grab
- D-pad Down: Jump
- D-pad L/R: Attack
- D-pad Up: U-Smash

This one allows me to DACUS with Snake by pressing D-pad L/R (dash attack) and D-pad Up (U-smash) right afterwards.

I have two schemes because the D-pad on the Wiimote is stupid. The second one increases my chance of throwing out an aerial that I don't want when I'm short hopping.

3) Normal...

4) I have nothing else...

Czardragon

Smash Rookie
1)CCP

2) Everything is the same except tap jump is off.

3)Normally. Though during air combat I keep my thumb near the Y button for easy air attacks with the right stick

4) I use the CCP because it size allows easy movement for me.

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!
Classic Controller:

B: attack
Y: Special
X: Jump
A: Jump

R: Block
L: Grab

Taunts: unchanged from default setting

I think this control scheme is easier on the Wii Classic controller.

Toon Link 99

Smash Cadet
1: A black standard GameCube controller.
2: The tap jump is turned off except for when I use MK and sometimes the C-stick is set to "Attack".
3: Normally, but I used to hold it a bit tilted to the left.
4: Just holding a Gamecube controller brings back memories... And I like the shape and placement of the buttons.

WheelerFGC

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ocarinasonwheels
3DS FC
2020-0089-8969
Switch FC
8390-7649-9691
1) Classic when I am playing alone, GC when I am playing with one friend, Classic again when there are more than 2 other people.
2) GC is default, classic is mapped to be like the GC.
3) "Regularly"
4) I played Melee A LOT, and I don't like having to kink my neck all of the time, so sometimes I use the classic controller.

Top Bottom