• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Your first EVER character.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
64 was too long ago for me to remember. I tried ICs first in melee and DDD first in brawl.

Tianxiazhai

Smash Journeyman
SSB Kirby, cuz he was cute.
SSBM Kirby, cuz he was cute.
SSBB Kirby, cuz subspace made me.

Vespa

Smash Rookie
SSB64: Fox because I was obsessed with Lylat Wars at the time
SSBM: Link because I read a magazine and it said he was the best character in the game by far.
SSBB: Pit because I saw the video Pit's descent and thought he looked awesome.

SirDumpling

Smash Rookie
SSB64 - Fox (all i did was forward smash spam and laser :D)
SSBM - Roy (Then after i realized how bad he sucked, went to Falco, then Mewtwo)
SSBB - G&W (Amazing smashes, realized all I did was smash spam, played ROB)

Thossos

Smash Cadet
SSB64: played this for about 10 minutes, and AFTER melee, but I went Yoshi
SSBM: first EVER Ice Climbers, first main Falco (i sucked, but I beat all my friends)
SSBB: I liked Ike and his forward smash (shame)

Bobbery

Smash Apprentice
Man, it's pretty fuzzy. My neighbor just got this cool new game; Super Smash Bros. It was amazing. We used to do taunts with Ness and Kirby so they go "hii! okay! hii! okay!" so it could be Ness or Kirby, Kirby is more likely though.
For melee, definitely Kirby.
The first character I played in Brawl was Lucario. It was the night before release at Best Buy and I had to fight ROB with Lucario (the person before me unlocked him and left)

DarkLeviathan89

Smash Lord
I first played SSB64. I read the booklet, and it said Mario was the allrounder, not incredible, but not bad, in every stat.

So I started out with him. Which has become a tradition since, in Melee and Brawl I also started out with Mario everytime.
Basically this. Although I'm not entirely sure if Mario was the first character I ever used in SSB64, but he was my main.

Salvo Fenris

Smash Apprentice
In SSB64, I stuck with Samus. I tended to spam the up-b a lot.

In Melee, I messed around until I unlocked Roy. I stuck with him for quite a while, till I realized the game was played with more than smashes, at which point I picked up Marth and Fox.

In Brawl, I tried Marth again and didn't like him, and eventually found MetaKnight to work the best with my playstyle. Then during the whole "ban MK" movement, I decided I'd better work on some other characters as "backup," and found Ganon and Ike to be rather fun. And there I've stuck, though mostly Ike, and some Marth, as well (god I miss his melee range...)

SCOTU

Smash Hero
I played SSB64 at a friends house the day before Melee came out as sort of a play smash 64 today, melee tomorrow sort of deal. At the time i was most familiar with pokemon, so i started with pikachu. The next day we played melee, and i started with pikachu again. When we unlocked mewtwo i was like "Hellz yeah, i'm maining that mofo" so i switched to mewtwo cause he was a more badass pikachu lol. Then i tried out marth for a little, kinda liked him. Then after unlocking roy i tried roy a bit, and decided to go back to marth for the speed. My friend mained samus, and used the "unbeatable" strategy of spamming standing homing missles to force you to come close, and then shooting you with a fully charged blue shot. To deal with that, I needed a character who could reflect homing missiles. The obvious choice was fox because he had a reflector. After that, I stood a chance against him, and decided to main fox for the rest of my smash career. So basically, I mained fox from the day melee came out for reflecting homing missiles. 5 years later i learned of competitive smash and found how much fun fox is when you REALLY start playing the game seriously: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edcHLJBup04

Darxmarth23

Smash Champion
The well rounded plumber himself...

Luigi...

Jk. i chose mario in smash64 then switched to the L man when i unlocked him. then falcon since.

Haunted

Smash Cadet
I used Samus at first because she looked like a robot.

After that, in Super Smash Bros. Melee, I went on to use Link and then Luigi because he had an insane wavedash.

Finally, in Brawl, I started with Luigi, then moved on to Snake, then Meta Knight, and finally my current mains.

Aran

Smash Apprentice
I used Kirby, because at the time, I didn't know who Samus and Link were, and I liked Kirby the best out of all the other characters. I then tried Samus and never looked back.

Ori_bro

ignite the fire
> SSB64 - Falcon was cool cuz the fire bird punch appealed to my younger self and i played pikachu to cuz its pikachu

> Melee - i started with Mario but when i got better i turned to falco. After a while i watched Anther and i picked up pika again. Now i play straight marth with some Ganon (down b in air is win)

> Brawl - i played it a week before the US release at scotu's tourney and played TL and Ike. After the release i picked DDD and Pikachu up. Soon after i played Wario for 2 months. Now i main marth but i play Snake IC and MK on the side

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
Well, I was a huge Super Metroid fan before-hand (I've beaten it more times than I could count), so it was only natural that I used Samus. I stuck with her for nearly all of my SSB64 days, but she didn't last long in Melee for me.

Delta_BP26

Smash Ace
I don't remember for SSB64... I was 3 or 4. I think it was Link. For Melee, it was Link. For Brawl, I was going to immediately unlock Luigi as Mario, but my brother wanted to play so I chose Ike against him.

shadowyoshi2345

Smash Journeyman
i dont recall for 64 or ssbm

but for brawl, dedede just appealed to me and when my very first dedede toss was a gordo i knew it was suppose to be

trev94

Smash Journeyman
i loved yoish. I was always played as him in mario party. So i picked him in 64

WeeGeeSmash

Smash Apprentice
My first character? Kirby. He was my first because he could copy everyone's B move. Then when I unlocked Luigi, He kinda pushed Kirby out of my favorite character spot. Now Luigi is my main to this very day.

Adapt

Smash Lord
SSB64: Samus
SSBM: CF
SSBB: ZSS

My first ever char was Samus in SSB64. Switched to CF before too long because he was my best. I also enjoyed Jiggs, and discovered a couple rest combos on my own (I was unaware of the competitive community at that time)

I almost never played melee because I didn't have a gamecube, but I played Captain Falcon because he was my fav from SSB64. I picked up peach cuz she was my best char. I always wanted to play Mewtwo, but I was terrible with him so I gave up.

ZSS I picked up because I saw the trailer and Japanese post-release videos and I liked what I could see of her moveset. This was confirmed when I played the SSE to unlock the characters and I played the factory with ZSS. I also quickly tried Peach and CF but neither fit me well.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
Let see, the first character I ever mained in SBB64 was Kirby, I definetly had good times with him, but as Melee came I lost my touch with him.

IDK

Smash Lord
Back when I started Smash Bros, it was Melee, right around when the Gamecube first came out. I can't remember back that far though lol. I do remember the start of brawl however, and my first character was Lucas... I think haha. Back in melee I was pretty young too, so I knew nothing about the game, or smashboards... I couldn't even tilt. Now of course I've gone back and learned how to WD and all the combos etc... and play melee when I can. Wow I've improved...

Cyan_

Smash Lord
64: Link, cause he had a sword. :)

Melee: Roy, cause my brother just unlocked him and I wanted to try him out. I liked using him.

Brawl: Ike, because I wanted to use Marth, but he wasn't a starter so I used Ike the man who "replaced" Roy.

Orange_Soda_Man

Smash Ace
SSB: Pikachu. I was 10 or so when the game came out, and I was big into that franchise back then. I've since switched to kirby.

SSBM: Kirby because I liked him in the original, determined that he sucks, and went to a Marth/Roy/Mewtwo triad.

SSBB: Sonic. Went to a game shop that imported a japanese wii and ssbb and picked him for every game we played, except for one where I tried out ike.

Funen1

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Funen1
My first character was Pikachu, when I first played Melee. I wasn't very well-versed in Nintendo characters back then, so I picked one from a franchise I knew well.

Saberdude27

Smash Cadet
For 64, it was link
melee i expanded to Falco and young link
Brawl is Lucario, toon link and Ike(and maybe poke trainer)

§leepy God

Smash Master
In SSB64 was Mario because I love his games, then it was Jigglypuff, then Ness till Brawl. I main Ike now because he's my favroite Fire Emblem Icon, and I wanted to main someone new as well.

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
Started out as Link in 64, until I unlocked Falcon and right away switched to him.
Link was just because I was also playing Ocarina at the time I first played Smash so he was fresh in mind and familiar. Captain Falcon was fast, and just MANLY, and I loved F-Zero.

Kholdstare

Nightmare Weaver
Melee: Kirby
Brawl: Kirby

The first time I picked up a Smash Bros game, I was at my friends house. Melee looked like fun, so I chose a character I'm familiar with- Kirby. I devastated my friend, who was a veteran. He was like, "How did this noob defeat me?" I preceded to pwn his *** with Kirby, then Link and Ganondorf. When Brawl came out, I wondered if Kirby was the same as he was in Melee. I was downhearted, as it seemed that Kirby had been nerfed somewhat. I stared using Ganondorf, and now he's my main.

Vasilicus

Smash Journeyman
THe very very very first time I played 64 I used Samus, because I didn't understand anything other than hitting B and recovering. Then I quickly switched to Kirby within about 20 minutes because my friend showed me how to play and I liked to spam his Down-B and Grab. That was how I played Smash Bros for the next three years.

Then in 2005 when I got Melee I picked Mario first because I felt like I might as well pick Mario if i was going to pick any character and play with them. When I had played at my friend's houses I used Roy and Young Link but they wren't unlocked yet. After testing all the mode I just sat around all day and did Classic and eventually got Roy and YL and they were my mains.

When I got Brawl all I did was SSE so I used those characters. I did use Mario in my first every multiplyer (testing the online) though. It just felt right.

Sigrid Fiinikkusu

Smash Apprentice
Lol I think I started out using Pikachu in smash 64

Once melee came around I played Link a lot until I discovered Mewtwo. For some reason I was the only one of me friends who could ever use him really well too. I also started using Marth towards the end of melee.

Once Brawl came out I went with Lucario since he's the most simalar to Mewtwo. I also added Pit and kept Marth as other characters and am now picking up ZSS. :p I'm a bit picky with the characters I like. I never liked how Fox and Falco played.

Top Bottom