• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Your First Tournament - A Guide to Making the Most of It

Chileno4Live

Smash Ace
NNID
Xyronith
3DS FC
0731-5336-4808
Alright, so i went to my very first Tournament =O

I got there pretty early and there were already people setting up TVs. I brought my own TV to the host (which happens to be my friend), and he said he would use it for Melee's. I helped people setting up their Wii's and TV's and then me and my friend played some matches. So after a while, a guy I didn't know asked me to play some friendlies. So I thought he had seen me playing, and wanted to test me out or something. So yeah I said No problem and we played. I went Luigi against his Snake and got 3 stocked. After that, I used my main which is Marth, and I won. He wanted revenge though, he then won barely because of my bad DI, he was awesome though.

So yeah I had some of matches like those until the real single bracket started. I got in a pool with pretty good people. And the first person was a MK main, he ***** me. He gave me some advice, he was very friendly, and spontanious, I was very glad that he gave me some tips. Then I played against a DeDeDe main, and I lost, but not really *****. He held on with 1 stock and average to kill percents throughout the set. I battled a guy who played R.O.B and Diddy against me, and i decided to counterpick Sonic when I lost the first match. He then used Diddy. I barely lost this one aswell, I just lost insanely hard the first match against R.O.B (no 3 stock but awfully mindgamed and baited.) This guy even said sorry when he played R.O.B. He said: "Sorry that I played so gay, i knew the MU very well and I don't want to take any risks." I told him it didn't really matter and i thanked him for his kindness.

But the pools weren't done yet! The pools consisted of 7 people including me, so I played 2 other people. One was a Link, and the first match against him, I lost. I was so nervous that I completely got screwed over and messed up a lot. We continued and I 2 stocked his Link on Battlefield (which I counterpicked.) Then he Counterpicked Smashville, and I 2 stocked him there! I finally won 1 of my pool matches, though against a low tier character :(. After that, I played a Ganondorf main. He was insanely good, and I mean very good for a Ganondorf. Though I won against him, and 2-0'd him in a Set.

After that, the brackets were made and I tied with a guy named Red-blue. So the pools got messed up and I was in it at first! But the pools weren't right, there were some mistakes in the calculations, so they recalculated, and then I didn't make it to the bracket, unfortunately.

It was insanely fun! The host is one of Europe's best players and he thinks I got potential. I doubt it myself, but I really think I didn't do so well because of lacking experience, this was my first tournament afterall! I'm very glad the people were nice and gave me some tips. It was also fun to **** people with Sonic, I mindgamed some of their *****. Most of them told me they didn't know how to play against Sonic, so I took that to my advantage, obviously xD.

Thanks for reading if you did, I just wanted to tell how my first tournament went and all. :)

Wingy

Smash Rookie
Thank you so much for this post. I've actually been wondering about a lot of this stuff, as I want to begin getting involved. I'm not sure when... but I'm sure this will prove to be great advice for then. Thanks again!

SharkAttack

Smash Lord
My first tournament experience kind of sucked but at the same time it was fun. It was a single elimination tournament at my University with 31 or so people. I won my first set of the tourney to an Ike but lost my 2nd set to a R.O.B. The entry fee for me was $10 but if I hadn't been a student at the University it would have been $20. (Venue Fee aside from Tournament). There were only two televisions so I didn't get involved in any friendlies. Because there were only two televisions/Wii's the tournament went very slowly.

The above information was the worst part. The best part was one of my friends who mains Samus made the final 4 and it was fun watching him go that far at his first tournament. I got to watch all his matches and they were very entertaining and down to the wire besides his first set against someone who was really bad. My other friend got screwed in the brackets and lost to the number 3 person but he almost won his set as it went down to the last stock at high percents. This made me realize how much single elimination sucks. Especially when you played good but got nowhere (Especially with the high venue fee on top of the tournament fee).

The best part of a tournament is going with friends and supporting each other by watching each others matches. Going alone I'd imagine would be fun to but it's even better to bring friends along for the ride.

Viperdev

Smash Apprentice
controllers with Turbo Buttons or Macro buttons are never allowed.
Does this mean that I should use another controller?

because the 1 I have has a turbo, I'm not gonna use the turbo or anything it just happened 2 come with the controller when I bought it

and I never in my 6 months of playing with it accidentally pressed the turbo

Smoom77

Smash Master
My first tournament was a Texas tournament called Ozzfest 3 (host was Ozz from Sugarland). I did horrible, in reg Brawl and Brawl+. Got last in both. I had to play Sethlon first (ugh), then this other guy that I beat, but then they counted that he won. :[

So I would of gone farther because I knew I could beat the next person in bracket. But it was really fun. I didn't know anyone yet and I'm really shy so it was sorta awkward. Lol.

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
This thread is so helpful <3
I have my first tourney next month (TYMVIII) and im excited...but sooo nervous @__@

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
I got my first tournament 2morrow, i think im going 2 use my ice climbers or my olimar, if they fail, my game is over if we arent playing brackets, what do i do?

SCOTU

Smash Hero
Does this mean that I should use another controller?

because the 1 I have has a turbo, I'm not gonna use the turbo or anything it just happened 2 come with the controller when I bought it

and I never in my 6 months of playing with it accidentally pressed the turbo
Sorry for the late reply, but yes. It's not whether or not you use it, it's whether or not you can use it.

sman5093

Smash Apprentice
Thanks a lot. When i will take part in a tournament some day I'll read this through several times!

-=Untamed-Beast=-

Smash Journeyman
This subject was touched upon earlier in the thread for about 2 posts, but just to clarify I'm asking myself.

You CAN go the tourney, pay the entry fee, and just have friendlies all day? No paying for singles, doubles, Melee, Brawl, w/e right? There's a very close by tourney in 2 days, and if I can go then my friend will try to go to. He doesn't practice competitive Brawl but he does enjoy the game and it will be much more fun for him if he can just pay to get in and have some friendlies. :)

Just making sure this is ok. I'm sure it is, but it shouldn't hurt to check.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
This subject was touched upon earlier in the thread for about 2 posts, but just to clarify I'm asking myself.

You CAN go the tourney, pay the entry fee, and just have friendlies all day? No paying for singles, doubles, Melee, Brawl, w/e right? There's a very close by tourney in 2 days, and if I can go then my friend will try to go to. He doesn't practice competitive Brawl but he does enjoy the game and it will be much more fun for him if he can just pay to get in and have some friendlies. :)

Just making sure this is ok. I'm sure it is, but it shouldn't hurt to check.
Well, this varies by tournament. I would be completely and utterly shocked if there were a tourney that wouldn't let you pay the venue fee to play friendlies. However, the exact rulings will be tournament specific (typically a result of what the venue is), in all of the tournaments I've hosted at 3 different Venues, I've never even charged a venue fee for the people who only do friendlies (i.e. you could come and play friendlies completely for free at one of my tournies, just so long as you don't enter). However, due to the renting arrangements of some venues, you may have to pay the venue fee to even be there.

tl;dr: Yes, you would always be welcome to only play in friendlies, you may or not have to pay a venue fee, but you certainly shouldn't have to enter any events.

Goldenadept

Smash Lord
i remember my first tourney! it was the week brawl came out actually. I had unlocked wolf the first day i got brawl which was the day before it was officially released and i had been playing him for an entire week so i thought I'd go.
my first match i lost to an ike thanks to a failed light step (which i thought was a glitch back then) but immediately after that i won my next set against a D3 (lol wolf beating a D3)
and i made it all the way to the finals where i barely lost to one of ours old pro's up here who went MK
it was a great experience, one that everyone should have at least once, I'll never forget it

.WC.

Smash Journeyman
I have a question about your last statement, actually. Would it benefit me more to play offline than online? I've been playing for roughly 5 months competitively now, but strictly online. I don't really feel like I've improved much... so do you think offline is a better way to learn and get better?

I was considering going to my first tourney this summer. I've been strictly online since I started, btw. Also thanks for your guide, it's very helpful. :)

wowoduend

Smash Journeyman
Good read. Sadly, my area barely have any tournys, i'm still in highschool, and can't drive.....yet :( I don't have friends that plays Smash.

I did went to a tourny called the Tournament Center. I first heard about the tourny on here. I didn't enter, i just spectated the tourny with my brother(who drove me to the tourny). The place got me wishing i was entering the tourny now.

Still, i wish my area had more tournys. That or i have to travel to places by using transportations (Greyhound or public buses which i don't know how to use).

SCOTU

Smash Hero
I have a question about your last statement, actually. Would it benefit me more to play offline than online? I've been playing for roughly 5 months competitively now, but strictly online. I don't really feel like I've improved much... so do you think offline is a better way to learn and get better?

I was considering going to my first tourney this summer. I've been strictly online since I started, btw. Also thanks for your guide, it's very helpful. :)
I hold the opinion that in general, playing offline is better for getting better at offline and vice versa. However, There are lots of corner cases that can make that go in either direction. Furthermore, there are a bunch of good players who do both offline only and online only, and some that do both for varying reasons. Therefore, what I have to say on this subject is strictly my opinion; anything anyone else says on the subject is just their opinion as well.

Therefore: Please do not start any debate of offline vs online here.

dustyfrumna4sev

Smash Rookie
I really needed to hear this, I HAVE to b good and I have practiced since the game came out. My brother who's better than me attended genesis 2 and got it tossed up. When he returned defeated and not wanting to play anymore I was very discouraged. But I guess sometimes u need 2 b knocked down to get up. I'll be at apex

zmx

Smash Lord
I disagree with online play not helping offline. Most of the top players either started as online players or still are. Online gives you chance to play with a ton of people that you would never have a chance to practice with otherwise. You will be exposed to more styles and MUs than anyone that only plays offline.

And the transition from online to offline isn't hard at all. It only takes a few minutes to get used to at most. I know this because when I went to my first tourny I did just as well as I could've at the time and could do everything I did online. Not once did I feel I performed worse in a certain aspect of the game because it was offline. And this was the first time I was playing offline against human players in weeks mind you.

The only big factor might be crowd/tourny pressure which you wouldn't be used to.

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
Keep in mind how old this thread is, zmx. Old information (especially since this thread was made like only a year after brawl's release) tends to be inaccurate. The guy above you just bumped it.

zmx

Smash Lord
I know but I just wanted to provide evidence that this claim is totally false. Don't tell me you think people don't still believe this.

I'd also like to add that the best way to get better fast is to practice with a wide variety of GOOD players. So unless you have a strong group offline really is your best bet. Far more so than playing with friends that are casuals/far worse than you.

I think this is why people tend to get shocked when they go to tournys and get destroyed for the first time. They've never been exposed to high level players and probably thought of themselves as great.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I don't get what you're disagreeing with. The only mention in the OP of Wifi is that you probably don't want to play it heavily right before an offline tournament, and SCOTU mentioned just a few posts up that while he believes offline practice is better for offline play, there's been a lot of cases in all sorts of ways and what he believes on the matter is just his opinion.

zmx

Smash Lord
It is a logical fallacy to think that just because there are varying opinions on anything there is no truth behind it. So please don't throw out the opinion card.

TC seems to be basing his judgement on guesswork and what he hears (from offline only players). I am giving my perspective as someone who's already done what he's explained and I assure you that heavily playing online just before a tourny will NOT deter your performance. I am also basing this conclusion on examples from other players who have mentioned they were playing online, the night before the tourny, and they did well.

At any rate my ultimate point is doing poorly in an offline tourny can't be excused because you were playing online the day before. As I've mentioned it takes a mere few minutes to get used to it at most. Someone who was great online doesn't magically become terrible offline or vice versa.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Are you arguing just for the sake of arguing? I noted that what the topic creator said about offline was his opinion because he's seen multiple cases of his opinion not being held true, just as much as he's seen examples of it being true. Different things work or don't work for different people. How is this "throwing out the opinion card"?

gettysburg11

Smash Cadet
Well, looks like I need a new controller if I ever plan to go to a tourney. My original ones have some broken buttons, so I had to buy some from Gamestop and they have turbo buttons. Hopefully it's only the start/pause button that's broken on one of the originals...

Parttimenoob

Smash Rookie
Nice Thread. Going to my first tournament in a few Weeks time, this was just what i needed. And it also cheers me up, that it is not expected to win anything. I am just going to go there, and lose all the Friendlies i can:)

The_Altrox

Smash Lord
NNID
The_Altrox
Going to the big Columbus tournament this month. I haven't been to a real Brawl tournament in years and never anything for PM. Because I'm cemented as a casual, I'm just going to have fun, play people who are better, and donate money to charity.

Top Bottom