• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Your first tournament match

cornxnuts

Smash Apprentice
SUNY Binghamton / Suffolk County, New York
I can still remember my first-ever tournament match. My heart was racing. It was summer, but my body felt cold. Especially my hands, which i noticed were drenched in sweat. Funny how it seems the AC and Heat can be on at the same time in the same building. I didn't know why I was so nervous. Back then I played Pikachu. And I got my *** handed to me, by a Ness. One that, If I had played in the comfort of my own home, against a familiar face, I would almost never lose to.

Years later, I play with a friend at a tournament held at the college I attend. I win the set, shake hands with him, and notice his hands are wet. Mine, on the other hand, were dry. I realized that my friend, as well as many other new/emerging smashers, experience a sort of Smash Brothers Anxiety.

The point of this thread is this:

1) What was your first legit tournament match like. What do you remember, etc.

2) How have you improved? Is it simply tournament experience and time, or is there something you do to prep yourself before/during a match. (Example: I smack talk a lot before the match, and try to get to know the person if possible)

3) What advice do you have for all smashers, new and experienced alike, to conquer your fears and not let it hinder your smash abilities.

All you smash pros and noobs out there, give some input!

ExCeL 52

Smash Lord
People say there hands never sweat when they played there first tournament..
Those people are not TRUE Smash Players
If you truly love the game you will have dedication and emotions for it...

In my case ... Yeah I felt pretty crappy my first tournament... My hands were sweating like crazy I won though... Luckily I didn't shake my opponents hands.

Scott!

Smash Lord
In my first tournament match, I was my man Marth vs. a Pikachu. I was nervous, but I got a lot of my nervous stupidity out beforehand in friendlies and stuff. So I was able to pull it off without too much trouble. The guy was kind of ticked off, though. I introduced myself to him beforehand, all friendly-like, and he responded with "Not nice to meet you." That definitely made me want to beat him even more.

Of course, in the next round, all my stupid came back against a Kirby, and I got Kirby-cided into a footstool. So cruel.

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
People say there hands never sweat when they played there first tournament..
Those people are not TRUE Smash Players
If you truly love the game you will have dedication and emotions for it....
Smash is my favorite game of all time, and my hands never sweat, no matter the pressure.

But yeah, I lost 2-0 to a Snake player (2-stocked both matches), and I was really, really nervous, especially since I had no idea how to counterpick effectively.

Matas

Smash Rookie
I was nervous that i wasnt going to do good because i wasnt used to playing stock (i played online a lot and it was time)

so my first match i was using game & watch against wolf

the tournament we could use items so basically i ended up at like 288% damage him like 100 and something no K.O.s for either of us then i picked up a gold hammer =]

knocked him out with it then he landed on it again XD and it launched him out again

He end up getting me down to 1 life he got me with rocket launcher (or whateve its called) his final samsh and jsut hitting my off

then i hit him with the final smash

we each have i left.....

then he uses forward B and flys off the screen :X

i won
i was all sweaty at the end tho Lol

InfamousLegato

Smash Cadet
My hands sweat like a ***** in church.

My first tournament match ever... I played Plank.

To say he destroyed me is putting it lightly.

2 things came from that tournament.

1. I became a lot more dedicated to playing Olimar.
2. I dropped R.O.B. and picked up Meta Knight as a secondary character

Top Bottom